Smelly Wind

Please put here those lovely animals that we all own, and post your funniest animal story.

Smelly Wind

Postby Snowleopard » Fri May 23, 2008 10:44 pm

My dog keeps passing smelly wind. He is doing 2 poos regularly each day. He is eating dried food wetted down with a bit of water and drinking water is always available. He gets his food split into two meals, morning and tea time with a carrot to munch in the afternoon.

I am just fed up of this foul smell, he has his bed in the living room and he is just so not environmentally friendly. Yuk. Anybody any ideas please (she says with a peg on her nose)?
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Re: Smelly Wind

Postby OoBubblesoO » Fri May 23, 2008 11:35 pm

Its possibly the food you're giving the dog....but try this.

We buy frozen peas and add one small cupfull to their dinner. We had the same problem with our jack russell for years, but on advice from our vet, we started adding peas to his dinner. The bad stink stopped pretty soon after and he doesn't fart half as much as he used to :lol: Mind you, we also give them a piece of dried tripe every day and although that stinks, it helps as well.

Good luck with that!

Note to self: Add a cupfull of dried peas to hubby's breakfasts from now on :lol: :lol:
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Postby PantsOfGanga » Sat May 24, 2008 9:45 am

What dried food is he eating? A lot of the supermarket ones are full of wheat, maize and soya which can cause all sorts of problems from itchy coats to smelly wind. I'd try him on either James Wellbeloved or the cheaper but just as good alternative of Superdog Sensitive. They are both very good single protein, single grain foods with no colours or cheap fillers. We have no doggy wind problems at our house with Superdog Sensitive and a spoon of Butchers Tripe to add variety and just coz I like to spoil them.

Bubbles - peas? The mind boggles on how that works, but I'll take your word for it. :mrgreen: Do they not come out of the other end undigested? My friend used to bring the slops home from the kitchen he worked in for his dogs and their poop was always bejewelled with undigested peas and sweetcorn.
Thought for the day: Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
PantsOfGanga
On Parole

Postby Snowleopard » Sun May 25, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks for your replies, I think you have given me some useful suggestions. I will go to Pets World and get him a sensitive food as he has just been on either Bakers or Winalot. He is 9 yrs now so maybe his digestion is not as good as it was. He also has had a tendency to put weight on and is on a strict diet. So perhaps a lighter formula would be better. I have given him some worming tablets this morning which might also help to give him a good clear out. He has been eating soil and grass so he is not quite right and maybe better after his worming tablets have taken effect and I switch his food. Thanks very much for your ideas.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby SUGARBABE » Sun May 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Oh No! :roll: we must all be having digestive problems with our pets at the moment. My old bullterrier (he is going on eleven) and now my maltese have BOTH got the runs. Thankfully my whole house is tiled. But reading the replies I think I need to deworm them. It is a long time since they have been dewormed. They only eat cooked chicken mixed in with their dry pellets. I feed them Alpo which is a local (respected dog brand) my dogs would NEVER eat Hills Science Diet which ALL the vets recommend. It is hideously expensive anyway. I would not be able to afford to feed ALL my animals! I have 4 cats and the two dogs. I have overheard patients telling the vets that their dogs/cats are starving as they REFUSE to eat Hills! I have seen people come in and buy another brand! Just so their animals will start to eat again!
We are passionate about finding out the truth for Madeleine!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby SUGARBABE » Sun May 25, 2008 4:34 pm

By the way snowleopard, I only feed my old bully on Senior. Not that he bothers anymore to eat his pellets much. But I know how finicky I am becoming as I get older!
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby Snowleopard » Sun May 25, 2008 7:24 pm

Hi Sugarbabe, your doggies are probably well due for a worming. If they start spewing though I would check with the vet. I suppose as they get older they cannot digest the same rich food, like we get heart burn and stuff when we eat spicy food or fatty cream cakes. They must be the same, only we have to clean up after them if they chuck up on the floor. I am glad the weather is a bit better at the moment as my pooch is out a lot in the day in the garden. He comes in in the late afternoon and has his tea, gets cosy on his bed and has a good snore and farting session. Well that is going to change this week because I am fed up of him and his smelly ways. Hope your doggies get well soon, the runs are definitely no joke. Get some disposable gloves on though for cleaning up as you don't want to get sick babe.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby gotcha » Sun May 25, 2008 7:38 pm

PantsOfGanga wrote:What dried food is he eating? A lot of the supermarket ones are full of wheat, maize and soya which can cause all sorts of problems from itchy coats to smelly wind. I'd try him on either James Wellbeloved or the cheaper but just as good alternative of Superdog Sensitive. They are both very good single protein, single grain foods with no colours or cheap fillers. We have no doggy wind problems at our house with Superdog Sensitive and a spoon of Butchers Tripe to add variety and just coz I like to spoil them.

Bubbles - peas? The mind boggles on how that works, but I'll take your word for it. :mrgreen: Do they not come out of the other end undigested? My friend used to bring the slops home from the kitchen he worked in for his dogs and their poop was always bejewelled with undigested peas and sweetcorn.
Thats where I have been going wrong with my old man, he is always scratching and farting :lol: :lol: :lol:
gotcha
New In Town

Postby hipohop » Mon May 26, 2008 4:30 am

after trying lots of products (on the dog, not the Other Half ), I reckon Royal Canin is the best brand of dried food, tailor made for your dog's needs. Ask your shop to order it in if they don't have the pack you want.
for example, you may need dental biscuits plus sensitive or low calorie etc

It is expensive but worth it, I am not trying to push a brand, just my experience after trial and error
your dog will soon be allowed back in the bedroom :)

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/your_dog/mature.aspx
hipohop
New In Town

Postby Torti » Mon May 26, 2008 7:26 am

I do not currently have a dog, but do have four cats, and have had many dogs in my lifetime. There used to be a dog biscuit with charcoal that was good for digestive problems of excessive and odiferous intestinal gas. You might try to locate something like this for a treat for the doggie.

The Royal Canin is excellent and all that I feed my cats. The Baby Cat food resembled chicken feed, but two very young kittens could eat it easily. They are now both on Kitten food, soon to transfer to one of the Adult varieties. The two older cats are doing quite well on the Active Mature formula. Expensive, yes, but I make up for it in lack of vet bills. My vet has pronounced all four "Healthy" on Royal Canin and has not suggested that I change their diets, even though he pushes the Science Diet.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby SUGARBABE » Mon May 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Torti wrote:I do not currently have a dog, but do have four cats, and have had many dogs in my lifetime. There used to be a dog biscuit with charcoal that was good for digestive problems of excessive and odiferous intestinal gas. You might try to locate something like this for a treat for the doggie.

The Royal Canin is excellent and all that I feed my cats. The Baby Cat food resembled chicken feed, but two very young kittens could eat it easily. They are now both on Kitten food, soon to transfer to one of the Adult varieties. The two older cats are doing quite well on the Active Mature formula. Expensive, yes, but I make up for it in lack of vet bills. My vet has pronounced all four "Healthy" on Royal Canin and has not suggested that I change their diets, even though he pushes the Science Diet.

Torti, you bring back memories for me with the mention of Royal Canin. My Vet advised it. I weaned 4 tiny kittens on the baby milk formula for weeks on end, feeding every two hours. I used to wrap them in soft cloths just like a baby papoos and feed them with a pippette. Talk about exhausting! They were all born in a car in our old workshop. It was too dangerous to leave them in the workshop what with cars in and out; also the mother kept setting off our workshop alarm every time she carted them in and out at night. We considered the mother taking care of them, but there were SO MANY strays already in the area; so I adopted all 4. I found homes for 2 of the kittens when they were old enough to go onto solids. They all turned out gorgeous cats. I ended up keeping 2. So yes, Torti thumbs up to Royal Canin. But I never want to go through that experience again! Mind you, I did learn a lot as a result of the experience. And I thought I knew everything about cats before! :lol: :lol:
SUGARBABE
You're Nicked

Postby the_last_name_left » Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 pm

what a thread. lol
the_last_name_left
You're Nicked

Postby Snowleopard » Thu May 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi everyone. I have been reading a post by Bubbles in the Lounge and she has alerted me to a condition called 'Bloat'. This can be life threatening and feeding dried food can be a risk. I am going to start giving my dog a mixture of wet and dried food, just a small dry food amount as I think this may be causing some of the windy probems. If you read the link on this Bloat thing in the Lounge it is quite scarey, as I didn't know they could suffer with such a thing. I suppose it is like horses can get bad colic and fatal bowel obstructions.
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Return to Our Pets