MAIN THREAD - Shannon Matthews

Shannon Matthews went missing on her way home from school on the 19th February 2008, Shannon lived in Dewsbury with her Mother and Step Father. Please discuss

UPDATE Shannon Matthews Found Alive 14th March 2008

Re: MAIN THREAD - Shannon Matthews

Postby ejm » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 am

Sky is now saying that they believe that the abductor acted alone.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/home
ejm
Local Lag

Postby Elifun » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:22 am

SHANNON MUM IS QUIZZED AGAIN
ABOVE: Shannon Matthews19th March 2008 By Jerry Lawton Your Shout

A baying mob screamed for the uncle of Shannon Matthews's stepdad to be caged for life yesterday.

Michael Donovan was in court accused of her kidnapping.

Police sealed off the street outside as angry locals hurled abuse at Donovan, 39, who was protected by a ring of 19 officers as he was driven away in a prison van with his head hidden by a blanket.

Bystanders screamed "give Donovan life" as the van sped away. Meanwhile, Shannon's mum Karen, 32, and stepdad Craig Meehan, 22, were being quizzed by detectives.

Police insisted the couple had not been arrested and were merely helping to provide "routine background information".

A senior police source told the Daily Star: "They are helping us with the investigation. It has taken a considerable amount of time, which is why we asked them to stay overnight. They have not seen Shannon."

Yesterday former computer programmer Donovan was remanded in custody by Dewsbury Magistrates, West Yorks, for his own protection.

Give Donovan life screams of bystanders
Prosecutor Thomas Klouda told the court: "Police fear for his personal safety given the public interest this case has aroused and the strength of feeling in the local community."

Donovan was charged with kidnapping nine-year-old Shannon on February 19, for which the maximum sentence is life.

He was also accused of falsely imprisoning her between February 18 and March 15 at his rented first-floor council flat a mile from her home in Dewsbury.

Donovan, who is 5ft 6in and weighs 8st, spoke in a frail voice to confirm his name, age and address.

He appeared in the dock handcuffed to one of four prison warders.

His handcuffs were removed for the seven-minute hearing. Two other warders guarded the door of crowded Courtroom One. No pleas were entered.

His solicitor Malcolm Knowle did not make a bail application.

Donovan was taken to Armley jail in Leeds and will appear next at Leeds Crown Court on March 26 via video link from prison.

Shannon disappeared as she walked home from a school swimming trip on February 19.

Police allegedly found her 24 days later in the base of a double divan bed in Donovan's flat in Batley Carr, Dewsbury.

Police are gently quizzing Shannon in 10-minute bursts, but said she would not return to her family "for the foreseeable future".

Karen saw Shannon for just two minutes through a glass partition on Friday.
Elifun
Suspect

Postby cushty » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:19 pm

sounds as if the good people of Dewsbury have made their minds up, then

but you do get the feeling Shannon's separation from her mother is for reasons we don't yet know of - could it be at Shannon's own behest?
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby bjr » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:33 pm

cushty wrote:sounds as if the good people of Dewsbury have made their minds up, then

but you do get the feeling Shannon's separation from her mother is for reasons we don't yet know of - could it be at Shannon's own behest?

For a child to write on a wall "I want to live with my father" shows signs of a very unhappy child and maybe this will be looked into properly by Social Services. If Shannon wants so much to live with her real father then I think this should be the case and every help should be given so make this happen.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby Elifun » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:15 pm

Shannon must have been very unhappy at home if after 28 days of being without her mother she is remaining in care on a voluntary basis and it seems that nobody knows if or when she will come home from the article below.

Shannon: She Won't Be Home For Easter
By Sky News SkyNews - Friday, March 21 09:24 amThe family of Shannon Matthews is facing Easter without her as she remains in care on a voluntary basis.

While her brothers and sisters enjoy Easter eggs and the school holidays, the nine-year-old has still not returned to her family home in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire.

Shannon is now voluntarily in the care of Kirklees Family Services and it is thought that she will not go home for some time.

Her mother Karen, 32, stepfather Craig Meehan, 22, and siblings Tony, 11, Cameron, five, and Courtney, two, will have to try to enjoy the Easter holidays without her.

Shannon disappeared on February 19 and was eventually discovered less than a mile from her home 24 days later.

Karen Matthews' cousin Susan Howgate, said it was still unclear when Shannon would be back.

"I was going to buy her an Easter egg but my husband said there's no point as we don't know how long she will be away," she said.

"When she comes home I'm planning a big party just for family members. We just don't know when that will be."

Michael Donovan, 39, of Lidgate Gardens, Dewsbury, has appeared at Dewsbury Magistrates' Court charged with the kidnap and false imprisonment of Shannon.

He was remanded in custody and will appear next at Leeds Crown Court on March 26.

Donovan, formerly known as Paul Drake, is the uncle of Shannon's stepfather, Mr Meehan.
Elifun
Suspect

Postby diddy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:30 am

"Voluntarily in care"
Would that not make it her mother's choice?
Either way, odd that they are stil apart.
Maybe Shannon is enjoying the attention of not being surrouned by siblings?
I knew a child who chose to live with hr father, rather than her mother and siblings, main reasons being could have own room, and would have more money spent on them.
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby tinks » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:57 pm

It's good news that Shannon is being listened too.

For her to go back home now would bring problems, the press for a start, photographers, questioning friends and family etc.. all so much for a little girl to cope with at such a tender age.

There is plainly some unhappiness there, hopefully with time and some expert help and TLC Shannon will be able to work out what it is she wants and needs with the help of those trained to help.

I hope and pray that everything works out well for her.
tinks

Postby cushty » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:15 pm

in the Mail headline today it states that Shannon 'opts' to stay in foster care, although the article itself does not explain this

a bit of ordered home life and lots of attention is probably difficult to resist to a 9 year old
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby diddy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:35 pm

cushty wrote:in the Mail headline today it states that Shannon 'opts' to stay in foster care, although the article itself does not explain this

a bit of ordered home life and lots of attention is probably difficult to resist to a 9 year old

Indeed!
Let's hope that's the reason she's staying in care.
Or maybe she partly blames her family, as this guy is related?
So it's because of her family that he is known to her?
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

Postby Samantha Spade » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:26 pm

tinks wrote:It's good news that Shannon is being listened too.

For her to go back home now would bring problems, the press for a start, photographers, questioning friends and family etc.. all so much for a little girl to cope with at such a tender age.

I think that is exactly why the social services aren't allowing Shannon back home with her family. The Media would be swarming around the estate like a hive of bees, not what she needs right now.
Whether or not they have other reasons for keeping hold of her, that must be top of the list.

Look what the press were like in Portugal when Madeliene went missing...chaos! Anything for a good story and sod whoever gets trodden on in the bargain. :evil:
Hi- Sammy here
Samantha Spade
New In Town

Postby Whatever » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 602644.ece

Sorry if already posted. Story about the police/SS being interested in the family before Shannon vanished.
'okay, we've tried really hard and we've come up with nothing' - K. McCann
Whatever
Hardened Criminal

Postby cushty » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Whatever wrote:http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3602644.ece

Sorry if already posted. Story about the police/SS being interested in the family before Shannon vanished.

it has tomorrow's date on it, so is definitely fresh off the press

bit surprised to see unnamed sources being quoted by the Times in view of recent events, though :shock:
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby mrsgaz » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:04 am

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 56,00.html

A 39-year-old man accused of the kidnap and false imprisonment of Shannon Matthews is due to have his first crown court hearing today.

Shannon disappeared in FebruaryMichael Donovan appeared before magistrates in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, last week charged with taking the nine-year-old schoolgirl.

Shannon disappeared on February 19 and was eventually discovered less than a mile from her home in Dewsbury Moor, 24 days after she went missing.

Advertisement

Police had mounted a massive investigation involving hundreds of officers and a team of 60 detectives to try to find her.

Donovan was arrested on March 14 after the youngster was found in Batley Carr.

The defendant, formerly known as Paul Drake, is the uncle of Shannon's stepfather, Craig Meehan.

Donovan at last court appearanceHe is charged with two offences. The first is that on February 19, in Dewsbury, he "unlawfully and by force or fraud took away Shannon Matthews against her will".

The second is that between February 18 and March 15, he "at 26 Lidgate Gardens, Dewsbury, unlawfully and injuriously imprisoned Shannon Matthews and detained her against her will".

Donovan, of Lidgate Gardens, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, is due to appear before a judge at Leeds Crown Court via a video link from Leeds Prison.
mrsgaz
Suspect

Postby anauk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am

It seems like it's a good sign that these are the only charges, hopefully this means that Shannon wasn't harmed in anyway while she was there but was kept against her will.
anauk
New In Town

Postby diddy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:40 am

anauk wrote:It seems like it's a good sign that these are the only charges, hopefully this means that Shannon wasn't harmed in anyway while she was there but was kept against her will.

Yes, that at least would be something to be thankful for.

Just OT, do most people who kidnap to abuse usually also then kill the victim?
The charade must go on.
diddy
On Parole

PreviousNext

Return to Shannon Matthews - 9yrs old - Missing Since 19th February 2008 - Found Alive 14th March 2008