reading group

For all you budding poets, place your poetry here for our members to enjoy. For all you avid readers discuss your books and recommend books to read here

Re: reading group

Postby Romeo'sJuliet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi guys

So what was the decision then? which book? Can I throw The Other Boleyn Girl into the ring :lol:

Okay what's it to be then?
Indeed I never shall be satisfied with Romeo
Till I behold him - dead -
Romeo'sJuliet
Local Lag

Postby cushty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Romeo'sJuliet wrote:Hi guys

So what was the decision then? which book? Can I throw The Other Boleyn Girl into the ring :lol:

we'd need three months to read that, RJ - and the print is small :D
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby sina » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 pm

Welcome back ((((cushty))))

Glad you changed your mind!

Sorry, lost touch with the reading group over the last eventful days...........so, I see, you have come up with 4 titles.....what am I supposed to do now? *scratches head*
sina
First Time Offender

Postby cushty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:22 pm

sina

I suggest you check them out on Amazon, where you will find readers' comments

check out your local library for avaiblability if you have one - but all these books can be bought cheaply on e-bay and/or the used book site - link on an earlier post of mine

then you vote which one you fancy reading
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby sina » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:28 pm

cushty wrote:sina

I suggest you check them out on Amazon, where you will find readers' comments

check out your local library for avaiblability if you have one - but all these books can be bought cheaply on e-bay and/or the used book site - link on an earlier post of mine

then you vote which one you fancy reading

Thanks cushty for your explanation for *blondes* lol - will have a look @ amazon and decide....
sina
First Time Offender

Postby cushty » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:35 pm

Sophie

I have Red Leaves and About an Author on their way to me as I type, so will in due course be up for a discussion about them whatever THE book is

I don't see why we can't have a thread for each book that more than one person is reading
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby sina » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:40 pm

Ok, my choice would be "Red Leaves" by Thomas Cook, as the plot seems so relevant to what brought us all here: a little girl goes missing.....

Here is a review I found on amazon.co.uk:
A brilliant, poignant novel from a brilliant writer., 25 May 2006
By C. J. Simmons "Crimesquad.com" (UK) - See all my reviews

"What can I say! I loved this book. It is a suspenseful novel which centres on the disappearance of a little girl. The novel is seen through the eyes of the main protagonist, Eric. Amy Giordano has vanished, presumed taken whilst being looked after by Eric's son, Keith. As the days stretch by without Amy being found, suspicion grows within what had been a harmonious family unit. Were they ever such a harmonious family or was it all just a big lie?

I have loved previous novels by Thomas H. Cook and feel he isn't given the credit like other American novelists in Britain. This novel drip feeds you the suspense as past and present begin to overlap. This is not a book with high drama and car chases. This is a little sample of reality, of what can and does happen to a normal family when lies and suspicion threaten to explode all your ideals.

This is a very humane and poignant book. I couldn't put it down."
sina
First Time Offender

Postby Romeo'sJuliet » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:59 pm

cushty wrote:
Romeo'sJuliet wrote:Hi guys

we'd need three months to read that, RJ - and the print is small :D

Nah, it's a very easy read! A bit of a bodice ripper actually, but a good one. :lol:
Indeed I never shall be satisfied with Romeo
Till I behold him - dead -
Romeo'sJuliet
Local Lag

Postby nurgis » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:38 pm

cushty wrote:Sophie

I have Red Leaves and About an Author on their way to me as I type, so will in due course be up for a discussion about them whatever THE book is

I don't see why we can't have a thread for each book that more than one person is reading

I like that idea. My "Echo" will arrive here in Iceland tomorrow. :bounce: :bounce:
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby gonzo » Thu May 01, 2008 7:45 am

I don't see why we can't have a thread for each book that more than one person is reading[/quote]

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
gonzo
Suspect

Postby nurgis » Fri May 02, 2008 10:02 am

"The Echo" has landed :wink:
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby cushty » Fri May 02, 2008 12:19 pm

Ok folks

the timetable has got ahead of itself thanks to my brief attempt to dodge my responsibility :oops: but there doesn't seem much sense in hanging on another couple of weeks when it seems Minette Walters 'The Echo' is the chosen tome

I am also going to read 'Red Leaves' and 'About the Author' so will start threads for these at the end of May too if anyone else is reading them

no discussion of any details of 'The Echo' can be posted until 19th May, only general comments, please, till then

after 19 May thread must be treated as a Spoiler by anyone still reading, and I will amend thread title to reflect that

I'll start the thread for 'The Echo' tonight, when other posters who might be interested may be on line

perhaps others will give it a bump for a day or two
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby pike1 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:12 pm

cushty
As this is a first for me can you give me some idea how the group works and for example what you put on the thread...
Is it chapter by chapter discussion or one of characters ?
"Always tell the truth.That way you don`t have to remember what you said"[Mark Twain]

The 3 Arguidos Cookery Book : great recipes!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3620&p=355600#p355600
pike1
Hardened Criminal

Postby cushty » Fri May 02, 2008 1:19 pm

not too sure myself, Pikey

the only reading group I have been part of before was a monthly meeting in a local book shop, where basically everyone said how wonderful/awful the book was and I disagreed with them :wink:

what I thought I might do is keep changing the thread title as we go along - e.g after first week 'The Echo' - first three chapters' , after second week 'first 8 chapters' - then anyone who hasn't got that far can stay away until they have

I reckon we discuss anything we like - what works, what doesn't, characters, plot, beginning, ending, etc etc - the Echo has an interesting format which will lend itself to discussion, I hope

but am totally open to other suggestions - might even be able to cope with a little criticism :D
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby nurgis » Fri May 02, 2008 3:12 pm

I love that we seem to be all newbees at this :lol:
It should be very intersting. I have never ever discussed a book in details to anyone.
It usually goes like: Was is ok :?: Yep, pretty good. I recomned it :!:
End of discussion :shock:
We must not forget that even there will be criticim this is mainly for FUN :D :D :D
nurgis
Local Lag

PreviousNext

Return to Poetry and Prose & Book Club