Writing?

For all you budding poets, place your poetry here for our members to enjoy. For all you avid readers discuss your books and recommend books to read here

Writing?

Postby ashbrooke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Does anyone write short stories?
Or maybe trying to write a novel?
ashbrooke
Suspect

Re: Writing?

Postby MoeSzyslak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:33 pm

I'm working on multiple projects. The main one at the moment is a screenplay for a tv series. Slow going though!
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby celticcarla » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:35 pm

ashbrooke wrote:Does anyone write short stories?

Want to help me?? :lol: seriously
"We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else's business", says David Payne.
Gonçalo Amaral promises to clarify "all the lies created"
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Postby ashbrooke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks for the reply.
With so many good writers on the forum I reckoned some must find other outlets for their talent.
I'm struggling with my first crime book, about half way through.
Had lots of rejections so far.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby MoeSzyslak » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:43 pm

ashbrooke wrote:Thanks for the reply.
With so many good writers on the forum I reckoned some must find other outlets for their talent.
I'm struggling with my first crime book, about half way through.
Had lots of rejections so far.

Sorry to hear that. It's hard. You have to have a tough skin. I know people who have had lots of rejections, too. You get there eventually. You have an agent, I hope? It's an absolute must. They will protect your rights, and you won't have to do all the uncomfortable stuff, like negotiating with publishers.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby ashbrooke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:46 pm

celticcarla wrote:
ashbrooke wrote:Does anyone write short stories?

Want to help me?? :lol: seriously

I'm new to forums, apart from the 'youwriteon' web site. {sorry, don't know how to do links.]
It's funded by the British Arts Council and has members from all over the world.
It's a brilliant site.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby ashbrooke » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm waiting a couple more months before approaching agents.
I was turned down by six or seven last year.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby Scribbler » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:15 pm

I write short stories and have a couple of novels underway. I need to discipline myself to work more regularly on them though. I got really excited about the second of my novels but was really upset when I consulted my other half about some aspect of it, and he was totally disapproving of the whole thing, because it has a strong reincarnation/supernatural element. I think the only thing I can do is keep my writing totally private. Some of my stories are on the Great Writing website (unlikely as it may sound!) where my user name is Annie Seed.

Keep at it, Ashbrooke. Other writers have had a really tough time getting their work accepted. James Herriot's first book lay in a publisher's drawer for 18 months before someone decided it might do. Never give up.
Scribbler
On Parole

Postby ashbrooke » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks Scribbler,

I've had a month's break from writing and now face that difficult spell of getting back into it. When work comes first It's not easy to plan when you can sit down and get on.
The difficulty I found with showing family your work is they are either reluctant to pass comment in case of offending you, or so enthusiastic and determined to give you tons of advice you either don't want or need.
Like you I now keep it to myself.
I didn't know about the web site you mentioned, thanks.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby Kim48 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:32 pm

I am writing a book part historical and part modern day. Using genealogy to tie the story in.
Those who play the game do not see as clearly as those who watch - Old Chinese proverb

We were a silent, hidden thought in the folds of oblivion, and we have become a voice that causes the heavens to tremble - Kahil Gibran
Kim48
Hardened Criminal

Postby ashbrooke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Kim,
Before I became a crime addict I read many historical novels and loved them. Recently I have found new authors who are combining the two genres.
Good luck with your writing, and keep going.

Best wishes.
ashbrooke
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby chimaera » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Good luck to all you who are writing books.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby ashbrooke » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:05 pm

chimaera wrote:Good luck to all you who are writing books.

Thank you chimaera,
We are certainly going to need it.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby Kim48 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:26 pm

ashbrooke wrote:Hi Kim,
Before I became a crime addict I read many historical novels and loved them. Recently I have found new authors who are combining the two genres.
Good luck with your writing, and keep going.

Best wishes.
ashbrooke

Thanks ashbrooke will send you a copy when finished taking me a while though. Good luck to everyone writing their own book sand projects. :D
Those who play the game do not see as clearly as those who watch - Old Chinese proverb

We were a silent, hidden thought in the folds of oblivion, and we have become a voice that causes the heavens to tremble - Kahil Gibran
Kim48
Hardened Criminal

Return to Poetry and Prose & Book Club