WELCOME TO THE 3As BOOK CLUB

For all you budding poets, place your poetry here for our members to enjoy. For all you avid readers discuss your books and recommend books to read here

WELCOME TO THE 3As BOOK CLUB

Postby janz1956 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:29 pm

please add recommendations/ reviews of your favourite books here
"Day 329: 27/03/2008..........
Kate and I arrived back from Washington yesterday."
-----------------------------------------
Pity it wasnt Portugal. Go answer the bl**dy questions, She was your baby, remember?
janz1956
Global Moderator

Re: WELCOME TO THE 3As BOOK CLUB

Postby julygirl3210 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Where do I start? Books are my passion. I have hundreds if not thousands books scattered around the house and garage.
Until May 3rd 2007 all my free time was taken up with reading, sadly most of my free time now is on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love mainly non-fiction book, biographies, and history books, and true crime books, forensics stuff etc.

I love all the books by Ann Rule. She is an ex-cop in America.

The best book I read by her was "The Stranger Beside Me". Basically it was all about Ted Bundy, the mass murderer. By some quirk of fate, (she was already an author by this time), she and he both worked on a help line in the evenings (bit like a Samaritan type of thing). They struck up quite a friendship, and Ted was seemingly a very polite and pleasant young man.

Unbeknown to her he was even killing women at the same time as they worked together. They remained friends for years afterwards.

She was absolutely horrified when he was arrested for all these murders, and I think at first refused to believe he was a murderer.

Anyhow, he escaped from Jail and went on another killing spree and killed more girls in University living quarters.

After capture, he set about doing his own defence (having trained as a lawyer, he was a highly intelligent guy).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he did his own defence at his trial, but lost, obviously, and was sentenced to death. At the end of the trial, the judge said something like "If we had met under different circumstances, I would have been pleased to have you work for me" (in the legal profession).

It was a very scary book, sent shivers down my spine knowing that it was all true. Wish Nick from Crimewatch had been nearby to reassure me, Don't have nightmares, because it was terrifying. But Fascinating at the same time. I couldn't put the book down. In fact, I have read it twice.

Hundreds more books, but that will suffice for now. Might review another one later.
"Out damned spot ................" - Macbeth
julygirl3210
On Parole

Postby lst1976 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:20 am

janz1956 wrote:please add recommendations/ reviews of your favourite books here

Hi Janz1956

Can I ask parents for a preview of my book here?
lst1976
Been Cautioned

Postby ashbrooke » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:26 pm

julygirl3210 wrote:Where do I start? Books are my passion. I have hundreds if not thousands books scattered around the house and garage.
Until May 3rd 2007 all my free time was taken up with reading, sadly most of my free time now is on here :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love mainly non-fiction book, biographies, and history books, and true crime books, forensics stuff etc.

I love all the books by Ann Rule. She is an ex-cop in America.

The best book I read by her was "The Stranger Beside Me". Basically it was all about Ted Bundy, the mass murderer. By some quirk of fate, (she was already an author by this time), she and he both worked on a help line in the evenings (bit like a Samaritan type of thing). They struck up quite a friendship, and Ted was seemingly a very polite and pleasant young man.

Unbeknown to her he was even killing women at the same time as they worked together. They remained friends for years afterwards.

She was absolutely horrified when he was arrested for all these murders, and I think at first refused to believe he was a murderer.

Anyhow, he escaped from Jail and went on another killing spree and killed more girls in University living quarters.

After capture, he set about doing his own defence (having trained as a lawyer, he was a highly intelligent guy).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he did his own defence at his trial, but lost, obviously, and was sentenced to death. At the end of the trial, the judge said something like "If we had met under different circumstances, I would have been pleased to have you work for me" (in the legal profession).

It was a very scary book, sent shivers down my spine knowing that it was all true. Wish Nick from Crimewatch had been nearby to reassure me, Don't have nightmares, because it was terrifying. But Fascinating at the same time. I couldn't put the book down. In fact, I have read it twice.

Hundreds more books, but that will suffice for now. Might review another one later.

------------------

I read 'Heart Full Of Lies' By Anne Rule.
The story of a woman who suffered from a narcissistic disorder who murdered her husband. Very good book.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby julygirl3210 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:32 pm

ashbrooke wrote:------------------

The story of a woman who suffered from a narcissistic disorder who murdered her husband. Very good book.

Yes I read that too. Chilling. (Talking of murderers with possible narcissistic tendencies ........................... !!!!!!! Hum ............ who have we been speculating about on this Forum? ) :lol: :lol:
"Out damned spot ................" - Macbeth
julygirl3210
On Parole

Postby janz1956 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:14 pm

lst1976 wrote:
janz1956 wrote:please add recommendations/ reviews of your favourite books here

Hi Janz1956

Can I ask parents for a preview of my book here?

yes of course, that will be fine!!
"Day 329: 27/03/2008..........
Kate and I arrived back from Washington yesterday."
-----------------------------------------
Pity it wasnt Portugal. Go answer the bl**dy questions, She was your baby, remember?
janz1956
Global Moderator

Postby ashbrooke » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:33 pm

julygirl3210 wrote:
ashbrooke wrote:------------------

Yes I read that too. Chilling. (Talking of murderers with possible narcissistic tendencies ........................... !!!!!!! Hum ............ who have we been speculating about on this Forum? ) :lol: :lol:

I noted the similarities, It's a strange disorder.
ashbrooke
Suspect

Postby mrsgaz » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:52 pm

I would thoroughly recommend The Time Travellers Wife.

It is like a sci-fi fanatsy love story which had me in tears in places. Very well written and totally un-put-downable.

Has anyone read the 'new' Kate Mosse book?
mrsgaz
Suspect

Postby Romeo'sJuliet » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:03 pm

I have read the Time Traveller's Wife.

I personally would recommend The Other Boleyn girl for a fast paced, fun romp :lol:

Or how about Jane Austen - they are called classics for a reason :mrgreen:
Indeed I never shall be satisfied with Romeo
Till I behold him - dead -
Romeo'sJuliet
Local Lag

Return to Poetry and Prose & Book Club