'Red Leaves' by Thomas H. Cook

For all you budding poets, place your poetry here for our members to enjoy. For all you avid readers discuss your books and recommend books to read here

'Red Leaves' by Thomas H. Cook

Postby cushty » Mon May 26, 2008 7:08 pm

some of us are going to read and discuss 'Red Leaves'

from an Amazon reader's review ( courtesy of Sina)

'A brilliant, poignant novel from a brilliant writer., 25 May 2006
By C. J. Simmons "Crimesquad.com" (UK) - See all my reviews

"What can I say! I loved this book. It is a suspenseful novel which centres on the disappearance of a little girl. The novel is seen through the eyes of the main protagonist, Eric. Amy Giordano has vanished, presumed taken whilst being looked after by Eric's son, Keith. As the days stretch by without Amy being found, suspicion grows within what had been a harmonious family unit. Were they ever such a harmonious family or was it all just a big lie?

I have loved previous novels by Thomas H. Cook and feel he isn't given the credit like other American novelists in Britain. This novel drip feeds you the suspense as past and present begin to overlap. This is not a book with high drama and car chases. This is a little sample of reality, of what can and does happen to a normal family when lies and suspicion threaten to explode all your ideals.

This is a very humane and poignant book. I couldn't put it down."
cushty
Mafia Boss

Re: 'Red Leaves' by Thomas H. Cook

Postby Torti » Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 am

I'll grab a copy at the library as soon as it reopens after the holiday weekend here. This one sounds good.

The weather here is killing me. Four nights in a row of severe thunderstorm watches and warnings, hailstorms, two of them today (our poor flowers), rain, flash flooding, lack of sleep. I've had it with the plains type weather. We had two people killed in their car by a tornado and one camper killed when struck by lightning. These storms are very dangerous and should not be ignored. I'm living with the weather radar up on the computer and the telly on a local channel where the weather crew can play with all of their fancy toys to show us just where the storms are coming from and where they are going. This is why I'm not quite through with Minette Walters's The Scold's Bridle. It's very good, but quite convoluted. I'm not sorry I took the time for it.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby Iseult » Tue May 27, 2008 4:06 pm

I got mine today. £12.99 for a hardback copy, but there was a sale on (Books etc.) So I managed to pick it up (softback) for £1.75!!!! :D
Once madam is in bed, I shall get started.
"Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope"

Shalom Aleichem.
Iseult
Been Cautioned

Postby cushty » Tue May 27, 2008 4:30 pm

well done - that's cheaper than secondhand

I paid £3 with postage on e-bay
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Iseult » Tue May 27, 2008 6:45 pm

I know, I couldn't believe my luck :lol:
It's worth checking out the shops.
I was going to buy it online, glad I didn't now.
"Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope"

Shalom Aleichem.
Iseult
Been Cautioned

Postby Plath » Wed May 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Hope I can get hold of this one in time. Didn't manage with The Echo. Got it too late. Had to pay £7.99 for it, which was a bit much for me. Hope I can get this one cheaper. Will try. :D
Plath
Been Cautioned

Postby Torti » Fri May 30, 2008 2:39 am

Got a copy of Red Leaves at my library yesterday and I've finished it already. It's a great read and hard to put down. Won't say more until others have had a chance to have a go at the book.
Torti
Suspect

Postby cushty » Fri May 30, 2008 12:11 pm

read it for 30minutes at bedtime - couldn't sleep, so put light on again at 2.30am and read three more chapters

could have read more if my eyes would have stayed open :D
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Torti » Fri May 30, 2008 2:24 pm

cushty wrote:read it for 30minutes at bedtime - couldn't sleep, so put light on again at 2.30am and read three more chapters

could have read more if my eyes would have stayed open :D

Yes, cushty, it's that good of a read!
Torti
Suspect

Return to Poetry and Prose & Book Club