Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

News and Sport

Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby matt6677 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:13 pm

A black US President. A black first lady!. Do you think USA has left its racist past behind it. I dont think so. As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away. It will happen when an inspirational leader comes around. there are many in the pipeline and I dont ever think that a confident deserving and suitable person will be defeated because of his/her race or colour. however i am not convined that in the next 40 years the same can be said of the USA. how i wish i am proved wrong.
matt6677
New In Town
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby SearchforJustice » Wed May 28, 2008 6:19 pm

matt6677 wrote:A black US President. A black first lady!. Do you think USA has left its racist past behind it. I dont think so. As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away. It will happen when an inspirational leader comes around. there are many in the pipeline and I dont ever think that a confident deserving and suitable person will be defeated because of his/her race or colour. however i am not convined that in the next 40 years the same can be said of the USA. how i wish i am proved wrong.


I think McCain will become president by default. America is not ready for a woman or a black man as president IMO. But if a 72 year old man is the best America can do, I feel sorry for them
SearchforJustice
Suspect
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 6:26 pm

SearchforJustice wrote:
matt6677 wrote:A black US President. A black first lady!. Do you think USA has left its racist past behind it. I dont think so. As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away. It will happen when an inspirational leader comes around. there are many in the pipeline and I dont ever think that a confident deserving and suitable person will be defeated because of his/her race or colour. however i am not convined that in the next 40 years the same can be said of the USA. how i wish i am proved wrong.


I think McCain will become president by default. America is not ready for a woman or a black man as president IMO. But if a 72 year old man is the best America can do, I feel sorry for them


I agree with both of you 100%, no way will America let a black man or a women be President. I find America about 50yrs behide most of the Western world.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
User avatar
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby Marianna » Wed May 28, 2008 6:30 pm

Oh no!

This is depressing reading. My hubbie is out tonite campaigning for Obama overseas vote.

He thinks he will win. He has to win or international relations are scrooed.
Marianna
Suspect
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby matt6677 » Wed May 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Marianna wrote:Oh no!

This is depressing reading. My hubbie is out tonite campaigning for Obama overseas vote.

He thinks he will win. He has to win or international relations are scrooed.



Oh dear...you want the Obama overseas vote....

read the hatred and racism on this digital spy thread

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... 5&page=779

short of calling obama a black bas...rd....

the culprits on that thread are scum of the earth.....and some of them profess to be girls...but then even a fat 45 year old man from Basingstoke can give himself any persona he likes on the internet.....
matt6677
New In Town
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby Marianna » Wed May 28, 2008 7:15 pm

Well I read a couple of pages. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My feeling is America's image needs rehabilitation. I'm not saying Obama's offer to sit down and chat with Aminajebad (sorry don't do farsi) of Iran (swiftly retracted) will suddenly turn the world around, and I would say there's an awful lot of people with a vested interest in arms trading, violence, anarchy etc for the world to be a cosy place come January 2009. In fact it will probably get worse before it gets better. But if McCain is going to be a reincarnated GW Bush, backed by blinkered fundamentalist Christians and hateful Neocons, then I am probably going to give up what's left of my idealism.

It will be a very interesting election, that's for sure, and certainly the USA may not allow it, as you said.
Marianna
Suspect
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed May 28, 2008 7:37 pm

matt6677 wrote:A black US President. A black first lady!. Do you think USA has left its racist past behind it. I dont think so. As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away. It will happen when an inspirational leader comes around. there are many in the pipeline and I dont ever think that a confident deserving and suitable person will be defeated because of his/her race or colour. however i am not convined that in the next 40 years the same can be said of the USA. how i wish i am proved wrong.

As a Brit, can you say the same about having an Asian PM? I don't think so.
I assume you have lived in the US long enough to make such a statement about its people?
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
MoeSzyslak
On Parole
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm
Location: Moe's Tavern, Springfield

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm

Not sure if this should be a new thread all not. But then decided this my be the best place.

Bush 'plans Iran air strike by August'
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/JE28Ak01.html


NEW YORK - The George W Bush administration plans to launch an air strike against Iran within the next two months, an informed source tells Asia Times Online, echoing other reports that have surfaced in the media in the United States recently.

Two key US senators briefed on the attack planned to go public with their opposition to the move, according to the source, but their projected New York Times op-ed piece has yet to appear.

The source, a retired US career diplomat and former assistant secretary of state still active in the foreign affairs community, speaking anonymously, said last week that the US plans an



air strike against the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC). The air strike would target the headquarters of the IRGC's elite Quds force. With an estimated strength of up to 90,000 fighters, the Quds' stated mission is to spread Iran's revolution of 1979 throughout the region.

Targets could include IRGC garrisons in southern and southwestern Iran, near the border with Iraq. US officials have repeatedly claimed Iran is aiding Iraqi insurgents. In January 2007, US forces raided the Iranian consulate general in Erbil, Iraq, arresting five staff members, including two Iranian diplomats it held until November. Last September, the US Senate approved a resolution by a vote of 76-22 urging President George W Bush to declare the IRGC a terrorist organization. Following this non-binding "sense of the senate" resolution, the White House declared sanctions against the Quds Force as a terrorist group in October. The Bush administration has also accused Iran of pursuing a nuclear weapons program, though most intelligence analysts say the program has been abandoned.

Rockin' and a-reelin'
Senators and the Bush administration denied the resolution and terrorist declaration were preludes to an attack on Iran. However, attacking Iran rarely seems far from some American leaders' minds. Arizona senator and presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain recast the classic Beach Boys tune Barbara Ann as "Bomb Iran". Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton promised "total obliteration" for Iran if it attacked Israel.

The US and Iran have a long and troubled history, even without the proposed air strike. US and British intelligence were behind attempts to unseat prime minister Mohammed Mossadeq, who nationalized Britain's Anglo-Iranian Petroleum Company, and returned Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi to power in 1953. President Jimmy Carter's pressure on the Shah to improve his dismal human-rights record and loosen political control helped the 1979 Islamic revolution unseat the Shah.

But the new government under Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini condemned the US as "the Great Satan" for its decades of support for the Shah and its reluctant admission into the US of the fallen monarch for cancer treatment. Students occupied the US Embassy in Teheran, holding 52 diplomats hostage for 444 days. Eight American commandos died in a failed rescue mission in 1980. The US broke diplomatic relations with Iran during the hostage holding and has yet to restore them. Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad's rhetoric often sounds lifted from the Khomeini era.

The source said the White House views the proposed air strike as a limited action to punish Iran for its involvement in Iraq. The source, an ambassador during the administration of president H W Bush, did not provide details on the types of weapons to be used in the attack, nor on the precise stage of planning at this time. It is not known whether the White House has already consulted with allies about the air strike, or if it plans to do so.

Sense in the senate
Details provided by the administration raised alarm bells on Capitol Hill, the source said. After receiving secret briefings on the planned air strike, Senator Diane Feinstein, Democrat of California, and Senator Richard Lugar, Republican of Indiana, said they would write a New York Times op-ed piece "within days", the source said last week, to express their opposition. Feinstein is a member of the Senate Intelligence Committee and Lugar is the ranking Republican on the Foreign Relations Committee.

Senate offices were closed for the US Memorial Day holiday, so Feinstein and Lugar were not available for comment.

Given their obligations to uphold the secrecy of classified information, it is unlikely the senators would reveal the Bush administration's plan or their knowledge of it. However, going public on the issue, even without specifics, would likely create a public groundswell of criticism that could induce the Bush administration reconsider its plan.

The proposed air strike on Iran would have huge implications for geopolitics and for the ongoing US presidential campaign. The biggest question, of course, is how would Iran respond?

Iran's options
Iran could flex its muscles in any number of ways. It could step up support for insurgents in Iraq and for its allies throughout the Middle East. Iran aids both Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in Israel's Occupied Territories. It is also widely suspected of assisting Taliban rebels in Afghanistan.

Iran could also choose direct confrontation with the US in Iraq and/or Afghanistan, with which Iran shares a long, porous border. Iran has a fighting force of more than 500,000. Iran is also believed to have missiles capable of reaching US allies in the Gulf region.

Iran could also declare a complete or selective oil embargo on US allies. Iran is the second-largest oil exporter in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries and fourth-largest overall. About 70% of its oil exports go to Asia. The US has barred oil imports from Iran since 1995 and restricts US companies from investing there.

China is Iran's biggest customer for oil, and Iran buys weapons from China. Trade between the two countries hit US$20 billion last year and continues to expand. China's reaction to an attack on Iran is also a troubling unknown for the US.

Three for the money
The Islamic world could also react strongly against a US attack against a third predominantly Muslim nation. Pakistan, which also shares a border with Iran, could face additional pressure from Islamic parties to end its cooperation with the US to fight al-Qaeda and hunt for Osama bin Laden. Turkey, another key ally, could be pushed further off its secular base. American companies, diplomatic installations and other US interests could face retaliation from governments or mobs in Muslim-majority states from Indonesia to Morocco.

A US air strike on Iran would have seismic impact on the presidential race at home, but it's difficult to determine where the pieces would fall.

At first glance, a military attack against Iran would seem to favor McCain. The Arizona senator says the US is locked in battle across the globe with radical Islamic extremists, and he believes Iran is one of biggest instigators and supporters of the extremist tide. A strike on Iran could rally American voters to back the war effort and vote for McCain.

On the other hand, an air strike on Iran could heighten public disenchantment with Bush administration policy in the Middle East, leading to support for the Democratic candidate, whoever it is.

But an air strike will provoke reactions far beyond US voting booths. That would explain why two veteran senators, one Republican and one Democrat, were reportedly so horrified at the prospect.

Former broadcast news producer Muhammad Cohen told America's story to the world as a US diplomat and is author of Hong Kong On Air (http://www.hongkongonair.com), a novel set during the 1997 handover about television news, love, betrayal, high finance and cheap lingerie.

(Copyright 2008 Asia Times Online Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us for information on sales, syndication and republishing.) ###
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
User avatar
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed May 28, 2008 7:41 pm

You know why I don't like threads like this? Because the people on it who America bash are usually ones who have never even been there.
Like I said in my post above, should I start a thread on how long it will be before Britain has an Asian PM?
It might surprise people to know, all Americans are not fat, gun toting, hillbilly racists.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
MoeSzyslak
On Parole
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm
Location: Moe's Tavern, Springfield

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:
SearchforJustice wrote:
matt6677 wrote:A black US President. A black first lady!. Do you think USA has left its racist past behind it. I dont think so. As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away. It will happen when an inspirational leader comes around. there are many in the pipeline and I dont ever think that a confident deserving and suitable person will be defeated because of his/her race or colour. however i am not convined that in the next 40 years the same can be said of the USA. how i wish i am proved wrong.


I think McCain will become president by default. America is not ready for a woman or a black man as president IMO. But if a 72 year old man is the best America can do, I feel sorry for them


I agree with both of you 100%, no way will America let a black man or a women be President. I find America about 50yrs behide most of the Western world.

I have just lost all respect for you with that generalization. I could make them about Britain too.
America bashing is so boring. People need new material.
It's not like Britain is completely innocent in the world stage.
Tony Blair could have stood up for what was right when Bush started his war games, but no he goose stepped in line behind him.
But, I am not on here posting provocative threads slating Britain or its people.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
MoeSzyslak
On Parole
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm
Location: Moe's Tavern, Springfield

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 7:46 pm

MoeSzyslak wrote:You know why I don't like threads like this? Because the people on it who America bash are usually ones who have never even been there.
Like I said in my post above, should I start a thread on how long it will be before Britain has an Asian PM?
It might surprise people to know, all Americans are not fat, gun toting, hillbilly racists.



Well if you feel like that then maybe you should. I would post and say yes it would never happen in my time, but where I live they is a lot of Asian Councillors .
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
User avatar
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed May 28, 2008 7:49 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:
MoeSzyslak wrote:You know why I don't like threads like this? Because the people on it who America bash are usually ones who have never even been there.
Like I said in my post above, should I start a thread on how long it will be before Britain has an Asian PM?
It might surprise people to know, all Americans are not fat, gun toting, hillbilly racists.



Well if you feel like that then maybe you should. I would post and say yes it would never happen in my time, but where I live they is a lot of Asian Councillors .

Where I lived in the States, there were plenty of African-American politicians and councilman and women.
So, what now, draw?
Like I said, these kind of threads are always about inciting arguments.
I am not coming back to it.
It is a pointless thread.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
User avatar
MoeSzyslak
On Parole
 
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm
Location: Moe's Tavern, Springfield

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby Montgomery Burns » Wed May 28, 2008 7:51 pm

matt6677 wrote:As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away.


Whilst I share your aspirations I am not sure neither Diane Abbott or David Lammy could cut the mustard from what I've seen - both appear rather mediocre to put it mildly, although to be fair they're in good company in that respect when you look around the chamber.

What about an Asian PM? Keith Vaz? Noooooo!! Shahid Malik - I'd prefer Keith Vaz!

Anyone else you see appearing on the horizon?
Montgomery Burns
Suspect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 7:52 pm

MoeSzyslak wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:
SearchforJustice wrote:
matt6677 wrote:A black US President. A black first lady!. Do you think USA has left its racist past behind it. I dont think so. As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away. It will happen when an inspirational leader comes around. there are many in the pipeline and I dont ever think that a confident deserving and suitable person will be defeated because of his/her race or colour. however i am not convined that in the next 40 years the same can be said of the USA. how i wish i am proved wrong.


I think McCain will become president by default. America is not ready for a woman or a black man as president IMO. But if a 72 year old man is the best America can do, I feel sorry for them


I agree with both of you 100%, no way will America let a black man or a women be President. I find America about 50yrs behide most of the Western world.

I have just lost all respect for you with that generalization. I could make them about Britain too.
America bashing is so boring. People need new material.
It's not like Britain is completely innocent in the world stage.
Tony Blair could have stood up for what was right when Bush started his war games, but no he goose stepped in line behind him.
But, I am not on here posting provocative threads slating Britain or its people.


Well maybe you have but I was only saying what I thought. This is the net I do not know you, or you me so will not lose sleep over it. If I am proved wrong then great. I did not at any time say "Oh Americans are all fat and thick ect" . oh and my thoughts on the UK are not much better at the moment. As for Tony Blair and brown well that would be a new thread
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
User avatar
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Obama as President. Do you think USA will allow that?

Postby Sad Git » Wed May 28, 2008 8:26 pm

matt6677 wrote:As a Brit i can proudly say that the day a black man/woman will become prime minister is not that far away.


Ummm.....well the Labour party doesn't have a huge number of ethnic minority MP's.

And as far as I know the Conservatives only have found ONE black MP good enough to represent them. (sarcasm)

So there's probably a pretty long way to go yet.
Don't allow the McMedia to keep the public ignorant, download our leaflets now!
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... S%20bw.pdf
http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/jjp ... Mother.pdf
User avatar
Sad Git
On Parole
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 pm
Location: In hiding from Team McCann

Next

Return to News and Sport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
cron