Scottish hooligans

News and Sport

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby ratonthebeam » Fri May 16, 2008 7:09 pm

ponky wrote:
starangerandstranger wrote:Changing tack ever so slightly, I recall that GerryMcCann said that his mother was very upset when he told her he was marrying an English girl. However, the blow was softened when he said she was Catholic. What does this say about acceptable racism and bigotry in Scotland?

New thread ?
Might be a good one!


This is one of the reasons IMHO that the "devout Catholocism" is all a big act. Gerry's family would never have been seen dead in the local Church of Scotland. But he is pretty quick off the mark to hire an Anglican Church when it suits!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" (Oscar Wilde)
"Oh wad some power, the giftie gie us, tae see oorsels, as ithers see us" (Rabbie Burns)
"Bonnie feathers dinna mak' bonnie birds" (My Gran)
User avatar
ratonthebeam
Local Lag
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 7:10 pm

starangerandstranger wrote:Changing tack ever so slightly, I recall that GerryMcCann said that his mother was very upset when he told her he was marrying an English girl. However, the blow was softened when he said she was Catholic. What does this say about acceptable racism and bigotry in Scotland?


Bigotry yes, but racism no. But it would be the other way I guess.

Whatever, it's pretty objectionable.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby coral » Fri May 16, 2008 7:10 pm

ponky wrote:[
Agree there. It has been the most interesting thread.
Thanks to all.
As for apologising?.
My apology is that I have'nt yet made it to Glasgow. Will now though.

Have researched restaurants/hotels etc for a short break alone, but have not gone further with it.
The furthest I've ventured into Scotland was a soaking at Braemar games followed by the Edinburgh Tattoo. Both fantabuoloesy, and the food Mhmnn!! delish.
x
ponks.



Hi Ponky, I take your point earlier on about Glasgow neds etc, yes indeed all socities and nationalities have them dont they, but as someone has pointed out Monty insinuated in his OP that this is normal behaviour here "where Gerry comes from" in the West of Scotland. As someone else has also pointed out this is simply not true.

If you ever visit Glasgow I would love to show you some sights (and I promise they wont include Ibrox and Parkhead lol :wink: )

It is a modern vibrant city which has its problems like all other big cities, including Manchester.
coral
Local Lag
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby starangerandstranger » Fri May 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Montgomery Burns wrote:
starangerandstranger wrote:Changing tack ever so slightly, I recall that GerryMcCann said that his mother was very upset when he told her he was marrying an English girl. However, the blow was softened when he said she was Catholic. What does this say about acceptable racism and bigotry in Scotland?


Bigotry yes, but racism no. But it would be the other way I guess.

Whatever, it's pretty objectionable.


:roll: :roll: :roll: ????
starangerandstranger
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 pm

Jenny2007 wrote:
braindead wrote:Good evening TLNL :mrgreen:

You appear to be a very balanced and level headed person thank you for putting across what i dont have the intellegence to do myself

I feel too passionate about my nation as a whole being insulted to post with a calm demeanour .

Ponky lol

Are you trying to start :mrgreen: forum war?

night Jenny have fun watch out for the hooligans


Here's tae us, whas like us? Damn few, and they're all deid.

Just as well Monty Burns isn't my son or daughter, he'd get one helluva thick ear and sent to bed hungry for his racist bullying. :D

Threats of violence should not be allowed on this board.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 7:17 pm

starangerandstranger wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:
starangerandstranger wrote:Changing tack ever so slightly, I recall that GerryMcCann said that his mother was very upset when he told her he was marrying an English girl. However, the blow was softened when he said she was Catholic. What does this say about acceptable racism and bigotry in Scotland?


Bigotry yes, but racism no. But it would be the other way I guess.

Whatever, it's pretty objectionable.


:roll: :roll: :roll: ????


Meaning I don't see Ma McCann's comments as racist. An unacceptable display of nationalistic feelings, but that's all.

Whereas if Ma Healey had objected to the blessed Kate marrying a Scotsman just because he was a Scotsman I would imagine that would be seen as racist.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby starangerandstranger » Fri May 16, 2008 7:22 pm

Montgomery Burns wrote:
starangerandstranger wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:
starangerandstranger wrote:Changing tack ever so slightly, I recall that GerryMcCann said that his mother was very upset when he told her he was marrying an English girl. However, the blow was softened when he said she was Catholic. What does this say about acceptable racism and bigotry in Scotland?


Bigotry yes, but racism no. But it would be the other way I guess.

Whatever, it's pretty objectionable.


:roll: :roll: :roll: ????


Meaning I don't see Ma McCann's comments as racist. An unacceptable display of nationalistic feelings, but that's all.

Whereas if Ma Healey had objected to the blessed Kate marrying a Scotsman just because he was a Scotsman I would imagine that would be seen as racist.


Are you accepting double standards here, Monty?
starangerandstranger
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby ratonthebeam » Fri May 16, 2008 7:23 pm

Montgomery Burns wrote:
Jenny2007 wrote:
braindead wrote:Good evening TLNL :mrgreen:

You appear to be a very balanced and level headed person thank you for putting across what i dont have the intellegence to do myself

I feel too passionate about my nation as a whole being insulted to post with a calm demeanour .

Ponky lol

Are you trying to start :mrgreen: forum war?

night Jenny have fun watch out for the hooligans


Here's tae us, whas like us? Damn few, and they're all deid.

Just as well Monty Burns isn't my son or daughter, he'd get one helluva thick ear and sent to bed hungry for his racist bullying. :D

Threats of violence should not be allowed on this board.


Neither should racism and bigotry, but you are still here. You are in no position to complain. You know ONE FACT about me - that I come from the same place as Gerry McCann. So you immediately place me in a group with drunken, obnoxious, sectarian "football fans" because that is the pathetic extent of your twisted reasoning. You accuse other posters of snorting drugs or being drunk because they happen to post something that you disagree with. You cannot come up with any reasonable defence for your obnoxious actions, so you accuse me of being sensitive and taking things personally.

Keep right on posting, Monty. Everyone can see you now for what you truly are.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" (Oscar Wilde)
"Oh wad some power, the giftie gie us, tae see oorsels, as ithers see us" (Rabbie Burns)
"Bonnie feathers dinna mak' bonnie birds" (My Gran)
User avatar
ratonthebeam
Local Lag
 
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:22 pm

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby coral » Fri May 16, 2008 7:47 pm

[[/quote]
Threats of violence should not be allowed on this board.[/quote]

And neither should personal insults, you have insulted me by saying "Perhaps you're not as high up the evolutionary scale as you would like to think.[/quote]



Neither should racism and bigotry, but you are still here. You are in no position to complain. You know ONE FACT about me - that I come from the same place as Gerry McCann. So you immediately place me in a group with drunken, obnoxious, sectarian "football fans" because that is the pathetic extent of your twisted reasoning. You accuse other posters of snorting drugs or being drunk because they happen to post something that you disagree with. You cannot come up with any reasonable defence for your obnoxious actions, so you accuse me of being sensitive and taking things personally.

Keep right on posting, Monty. Everyone can see you now for what you truly are.[/quote]

I agree with everything ROTB has said here, because I am Scottish - and that is all that you know about me - you seem to be prejudiced against me before I even start and disguise this with moral outrage at what your city has suffered at the hands of some yobs who just happened to be Scottish . Get it - I didnt go on the drunken rampage and I dont condone those who did yet you have said I find this acceptable behaviour????/
coral
Local Lag
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby ponky » Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 pm

ratonthebeam wrote:
ponky wrote:
starangerandstranger wrote:Changing tack ever so slightly, I recall that GerryMcCann said that his mother was very upset when he told her he was marrying an English girl. However, the blow was softened when he said she was Catholic. What does this say about acceptable racism and bigotry in Scotland?

New thread ?
Might be a good one!


This is one of the reasons IMHO that the "devout Catholocism" is all a big act. Gerry's family would never have been seen dead in the local Church of Scotland. But he is pretty quick off the mark to hire an Anglican Church when it suits!


Please, please. Please please please!!!!!!
Why? When we're are having a perfectly healthy, though fiery debate, why do you have to introduce the McCanns into it.

"They" are not within every thread of our lives !
If you wish to discuss them, there are numerous ......... oh so many.......ZZZzzzzzzzzzzz threads to post on.
ponky
First Time Offender
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 7:55 pm

coral wrote:[

Threats of violence should not be allowed on this board.[/quote]

And neither should personal insults, you have insulted me by saying "Perhaps you're not as high up the evolutionary scale as you would like to think.[/quote]



Neither should racism and bigotry, but you are still here. You are in no position to complain. You know ONE FACT about me - that I come from the same place as Gerry McCann. So you immediately place me in a group with drunken, obnoxious, sectarian "football fans" because that is the pathetic extent of your twisted reasoning. You accuse other posters of snorting drugs or being drunk because they happen to post something that you disagree with. You cannot come up with any reasonable defence for your obnoxious actions, so you accuse me of being sensitive and taking things personally.

Keep right on posting, Monty. Everyone can see you now for what you truly are.[/quote]

I agree with everything ROTB has said here, because I am Scottish - and that is all that you know about me - you seem to be prejudiced against me before I even start and disguise this with moral outrage at what your city has suffered at the hands of some yobs who just happened to be Scottish . Get it - I didnt go on the drunken rampage and I dont condone those who did yet you have said I find this acceptable behaviour????/[/quote]
The evolutionary scale comment came after many personal attacks from you. I can't remain a saint forever.

I pity you.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby Jenny2007 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:07 pm

Montgomery, I will say this yet again, you are a racist, grow up and admit you are wrong.

This nonsense should have been put to bed long ago, it against all the rules of the forum.
Jenny2007
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:09 am

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby coral » Fri May 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Montgomery Burns wrote:[The evolutionary scale comment came after many personal attacks from you. I can't remain a saint forever.

I pity you.



No, I have an opinion - based on your OP - that you are ignorant and/or bigoted but I have not launched into a personal attack on you. You on the other hand have said I accept this behaviour of these louts because it is somehow the "norm" for us up here in the West of Scotland - I have asked you to show me the post where i have siad this behaviour is Ok - you havent, I have also asked you to substantiate your claim that this is normal behaviour inside Ibrox- again you havent, you have only posted some ridiclous article about Glasgow stereotypes.

Now I will ask you again as you say I do not condemn the louts - where do I say this?????
coral
Local Lag
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:26 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri May 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Jenny2007 wrote:Montgomery, I will say this yet again, you are a racist, grow up and admit you are wrong.

This nonsense should have been put to bed long ago, it against all the rules of the forum.


I find these comments to be incredibly offensive. Just as I did the behaviour of those drunkard hooligans during the week.

It seems one cannot complain about appalling behaviour these days without apologists justifying this crass behaviour. And to make matters worse, attack the messenger. I have been bullied mercilessly by a number of you and as a group I find you repulsive.

So save your breath and stop asking for an apology because it ain't going to happen. I'm not a Catholic who is going to bend the knee when faced by bullying Billy Boys. Though I wouldn't be so brave in real life as I'd probably get a kicking if this conversation was taking place in a Glasgow bar.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 10:16 am

Re: Scottish hooligans

Postby ponky » Fri May 16, 2008 8:21 pm

coral wrote:
ponky wrote:[
Agree there. It has been the most interesting thread.
Thanks to all.
As for apologising?.
My apology is that I have'nt yet made it to Glasgow. Will now though.

Have researched restaurants/hotels etc for a short break alone, but have not gone further with it.
The furthest I've ventured into Scotland was a soaking at Braemar games followed by the Edinburgh Tattoo. Both fantabuoloesy, and the food Mhmnn!! delish.
x
ponks.



Hi Ponky, I take your point earlier on about Glasgow neds etc, yes indeed all socities and nationalities have them dont they, but as someone has pointed out Monty insinuated in his OP that this is normal behaviour here "where Gerry comes from" in the West of Scotland. As someone else has also pointed out this is simply not true.

If you ever visit Glasgow I would love to show you some sights (and I promise they wont include Ibrox and Parkhead lol :wink: )

It is a modern vibrant city which has its problems like all other big cities, including Manchester.


If you really do mean that coral, I'll let you know when I'm coming.
Get ready to help the oldie up a few steps. Old in body, young at heart. :)

Maybe we'll go see Dirty Hepburns. Or for you out of touch young'ens Franz Ferdinand. :lol: :lol:
x
ponky
First Time Offender
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:27 pm

PreviousNext

Return to News and Sport

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests