am I the only one?

News and Sport

am I the only one?

Postby cushty » Wed May 14, 2008 11:11 pm

I am watching those poor people identifying their dead in China, and even worse finding out that the rescue for relatives they know are still alive in an unsafe building has been abandoned

and I am starting to feel rather shallow about putting so much time and emotion into one missing child
cushty
Mafia Boss

Re: am I the only one?

Postby perrito » Wed May 14, 2008 11:19 pm

I know what you mean Cushty, it certainly puts things into persepective doesn't it? Such a terrible terrible tragedy it is so hard to even get your head round it. So much suffering in the world, so many people with their lives destroyed, it really is heartbreaking and here we sit concentrating on one child and the parents who left her alone in a foreign country.

Yes, it certainly does put things into perspective but I think at the end of the day if justice can be obtained for one child then at least it is something positive.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby Jennyfowler » Thu May 15, 2008 6:40 am

I agree entirely.

Was very sad seeing that poor woman in red. Ok one moment and then with some others going completely mental.

It is so sad and does anyone know if these high schools were the ones that were on Chinese School that I enjoyed so much.

Looking on CCTV9 (Chinese own news but not until 3am! ) some buildings you could see in background were standing. I'm sorry to say this but why 3 storey schools when you could plainly see other 3 or 4 storey buildings standing. Was the buildings not build strong enough. Knowing how improverished the Chinese still seem to be in rural and suburban areas. Why was there no warnings it seems so sad the measuring equipment for Richta Scale gives no warnings out.

What I was goign to say was that Maddy is sadly into different relms here. It's about justice and the way Top Hole people are involved to scam our brains and the way that our views are shaped by Governments. Princess Diana was on episode on how corrupt the establishment is and forcing it's views on us and Maddy is another.

These terrible situations in China and Burma are in fact - proper news. The media can't scew it for our public consumption. So don't feel bad about being concerned about Maddy situation.
Jennyfowler
New In Town

Postby fedrules » Thu May 15, 2008 9:31 am

I had the same thought Cushty when I heard yesterday that 900 students were buried in the rubble of one school.
fedrules
Mafia Boss

Postby devongirl » Sat May 17, 2008 1:36 pm

I cant watch the sky reports without tears in my eyes....so many lost children...they must have been so scared and alone..... the little boy rescued yesterday was a miracle....

A few people pulled out alive today, but its such a huge loss of life, my heart goes out to all of them :( :(
devongirl
New In Town

Postby bomaris » Sat May 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Cushty -

It's not about one child, desperately sad though that is. It's about our political, legal and media culture. It's hugely important for the future.

It's the same with China when you think about it. Why have tens of thousands of children died crushed in their schools? Because of their political, legal and media culture - all closed and corrupt, which has allowed schools to be jerry-built.

If you want to live in a decent society, you have to care about the sort of culture you live in.

Chinese people daren't speak up for fear of being carted off to the gulag or a mental hospital. It's an evil system that allows peaceable Buddhists in Tibet to be imprisoned unjustly and tortured. We had a brief taste of what it's like with their goons accompanying the Olympic torch and bossing everyone around - whether it be our own Police, protestors or disabled participants.

We must take care that this sort of system doesn't spread to our own culture. Unfortunately something very like it seems to be taking hold - where people can be punished severely for defying the McCanns but they - criminal suspects - can say what they like.

Remember what Clarrie the Sinister Clown said: "We have ways and means..."
bomaris
Hardened Criminal

Return to News and Sport