Oh Dear Another One !!

News and Sport

Oh Dear Another One !!

Postby lioned » Tue May 13, 2008 9:42 pm

Parents board flight, forget toddler at airport

A family boarded a flight on Monday in westernmost Canada, and forgot their tot at the Vancouver international airport, media said Tuesday.

The 23-month-old boy's family had just arrived in Canada from the Philippines, but they were forced to repack their overweight bags before catching a connecting flight to Winnipeg, causing them to run late.

In their sprint to the gate, the family became separated.

The boy's father Jun Parreno, told local media he had thought his son was with his wife and the boy's grandparents, who ran ahead. They thought the boy was with his dad.

On the plane, the family members were seated separately and so did not immediately realize they had left the child behind.

Sometime later, a security guard found the boy, who speaks no English, wandering near the departure gate, and Air Canada officials tracked down his shocked parents on the flight.

Because the boy was so young, he was not issued a boarding pass and would have sat on a parent's lap during the flight, so airline personnel did not notice a passenger was missing.

According to the Vancouver Sun, airport security found a Tagalog-speaking Air Canada agent who looked after the child while his father flew 2,300 kilometers (1,400 miles) back to Vancouver to pick him up and then return to Winnipeg to rejoin the immigrant family on their first day in Canada.

The baby was kept in Air Canada's offices and staff found him some toys, said local media.

"Air Canada took good care of him," Parreno told the daily Winnipeg Free Press upon arrival. "I'm grateful."
lioned
Local Lag

Re: Oh Dear Another One !!

Postby isis » Tue May 13, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi Lioned, amazing really. You have to have a liscence to own a dog and anyone with the right equipment can produce a child :roll:
truth is always a casualty.
isis
Mafia Boss

Postby paddington2007 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Lioned,

I think your title is a bit harsh - that does not sound like neglect - just confusion and a horrid misunderstanding.
paddington2007
Been Cautioned

Postby beaker1 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:47 pm

No quite another one in my view, seems more like a genuine mix up. They didnt conciously decide to leave him on his own unlike the mc's.
-----Just an opinion from a muppet.
beaker1
First Time Offender

Postby MoeSzyslak » Tue May 13, 2008 9:48 pm

What a scary story! But, I can't really fault the parents in this. It looks like a misunderstanding between the parents; one assuming the other had the child. They should have been more careful, but I can see how this happened. It was not malicious, and you can see how the father came back for the child immediately. He obviously cares about his child.
I would have had a heart attack if this had happened to me. I am glad it turned out ok.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby xklamation » Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 pm

:confused5: Even so, How do you forget a child over a luggage? And wouldn't the first thought of a parent be to verify if everyone was okay, in their seats?
"They're so conditioned that they practically can't help behaving as they ought to behave. And if anything should go wrong, there's soma." Aldous Huxley, Brave New World (1932)
xklamation
First Time Offender

Postby somthinfishie » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Good god,they must have been worried sick when they realised what had happened,so happy for them it turned out right in the end,a tragic mix up.~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby bugalugs1970 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm

xklamation wrote::confused5: Even so, How do you forget a child over a luggage? And wouldn't the first thought of a parent be to verify if everyone was okay, in their seats?

As a parent myself......you would think so wouldn't you.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby MoeSzyslak » Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm

xklamation wrote::confused5: Even so, How do you forget a child over a luggage? And wouldn't the first thought of a parent be to verify if everyone was okay, in their seats?

I would have paid more attention to my child, and verified; I agree. But saying that, trying to keep an eye on your kids when in an airport and travelling by plane is very daunting. You are trying to go through security, check luggage, not miss your connecting flight, etc. I can see how this incident could have happened.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby rammy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:00 pm

We did lose one of my daughters through one thinking the otherone was with her, that was in Windsor, walking up the road.
At the airport, however, my kids are always first up the steps, down the tunnel, whatever.
Saying that, it sounds like there were grandparents as well, so maybe it was just a case of too many cooks................
rammy
First Time Offender

Postby paddington2007 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:01 pm

xklamation,

I think you are in the greatest danger of losing a child while in a large family group. It is easy to think the other parent/grandparent has the child - once you believe that, you just get on with whatever you are doing.

It is a story that I 've heard a few times, big group - everyone thought someone else had the child, no malice, no poor intentions, just an honest mistake.
paddington2007
Been Cautioned

Postby lioned » Tue May 13, 2008 10:04 pm

Yes i agree a bit harsh to make a comparison with the mcc's,a bit like 'home alone' i suppose but nevertheless forgetting your kids in leu of your luggage rates a 4 out of 10 on the child neglect scale i think !
lioned
Local Lag

Postby waterfall » Thu May 15, 2008 1:48 am

At least this father got on a plane and rushed back to his child.

He didn't get on a jet heading off in the opposite direction... to see the Pope, or Bush.
waterfall
You're Nicked

Postby bomaris » Thu May 15, 2008 2:00 am

Careless not negligent I'd say. But certainly not to be defended.

I am sure this couple will say quite openly "We should have been more careful. Please do keep a special eye on your children in busy places even if you are under time pressure."

Whereas Clarence would say:

"This couple are entirely blameless. They love their children dearly and it was only the thought of how important this trip was to their children that caused them to make this extra effort to catch the flight. Of course with hindsight one can say it is unfortunate that in doing so they overlooked the absence of their one child out of several. However that child was not at all perturbed. The child's calm and accepting demeanour was clear to all persons present there. If the child cried then she did so very softly and not in any sense in distress."
bomaris
Hardened Criminal

Postby Goretti » Thu May 15, 2008 2:10 am

Lioned:Keep the pot a-stirring you perfect person!
Goretti
New In Town

Next

Return to News and Sport