Father under armed guard after boys aged 2 and 6 found dead

News and Sport

Father under armed guard after boys aged 2 and 6 found dead

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:54 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/a ... 873128.ece

Father under armed guard after boys aged 2 and 6 found dead in car near Lennoxtown
Two children have been found dead inside a car on a quiet country road in East Dunbartonshire along with their father, who was alive but suffering from serious burnsDavid Lister, Scotland Correspondent
David Lister Scotland Correspondent

Two young boys have been found dead in a parked car at a hillside beauty spot.

Detectives said yesterday that they were pursuing a "positive line of inquiry" after the brothers, aged two and six, were discovered inside a vehicle on a quiet country road near Lennoxtown, East Dunbartonshire, at about 4.30pm on Saturday.

The children, who have not been named, were found inside the car along with their father, who was alive but suffering from serious burns.

He was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary where he was detained by police and was reportedly under armed guard last night. His condition was described as critical.

Initial reports suggested that the children had died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being gassed by exhaust fumes, but the reports were dismissed by police sources. They are believed to have suffered "violent deaths", although post-mortem examinations were not expected until last night or today. Police said that the deaths were "suspicious".

It is believed that the man, who was estranged from his wife, had access to his children only at weekends. All were said to come from the Glasgow area. Inspector Jan Connolly, of Strathclyde Police, said: "We are investigating the death of two children, aged two and six years old. Police are following a positive line of inquiry."

Locals in Lennoxtown, at the foot of the Campsie Fells and a popular spot with ramblers and dog-walkers, said they believed that the man had attempted to set fire to the car with himself and the children inside it. However, sources suggested that the boys were already dead when this happened.

As police dog teams continued to scour the scene yesterday, witnesses said that the car was discovered on Saturday afternoon in a quiet country road near Campsie golf club. Frank de Goey, who lives nearby, said: "It was about 5.15pm when we suddenly saw police, fire engines, CID and ambulances charging up Crow Road. We've heard somebody tried to commit suicide. It's absolutely shocking."

A worker at the golf club said: "Two ambulances arrived but only one went past with the flashing blue lights, and then there was a helicopter overhead. The news started to filter back to us. It has got us all in a state of shock."

Ronald Jannaway, the club steward, said: "Nobody can believe what's happened here. I think everyone's just shocked by it all." He said that the car was found about a mile from the golf club. "It's a popular place with walkers going up the hills and is usually quite busy. Maybe it just looked normal in the car park," he said.

Another local added: "This is a very quiet area and I suppose it is so isolated up there that it's just the sort of place somebody would choose to do something like that. I can't understand how somebody could do something like that to two innocent children." The dead boys' mother was last night being comforted by friends and relatives, and family liaison officers from Strathclyde Police.

David Whitton, MSP for Strathkelvin and Bearsden, said that people were stunned by the news. "Obviously we don't know exactly what has happened here, but I am really shocked to hear about it. It is a terrible tragedy for two young children to lose their lives in these circumstances. Like everyone else, I will want to know how this tragedy happened, but we'll have to wait for the outcome of the police investigation. In the meantime, my condolences go out to the family or families involved."
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Re: Father under armed guard after boys aged 2 and 6 found dead

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Detectives are treating the deaths of two young brothers found in a car parked at the side of a country road as murder, it was announced last night.

The bodies of Paul Ross, six, and his brother, Jay, two, were discovered in a car on a B-road about 10 miles from Glasgow on Saturday afternoon.

A man, believed to be the boys' father, was also found at the scene. He was badly burned and is under police guard at the Royal Infirmary in the city. His condition is described as "critical".

Initial reports suggested the brothers, from the Royston area of Glasgow, had been gassed in the car, but following post-mortem examinations yesterday afternoon detectives confirmed they had suffered violent deaths.

Officers said the young boys' family are "devastated by their deaths and are extremely upset".

They would not name the man found at the murder scene and it is believed they have so far been unable to interview him because of his condition. Nevertheless, detectives said they were following a "positive line of inquiry".

The discovery was made at the side of the B822, known locally as the Crow Road, about a mile from Campsie Golf Club on the edge of the village of Lennoxtown. The road links Lennoxtown with the village of Fintry eight miles away.

A car park at the side of the road is a popular stop-off point for walkers and climbers. The car containing the brothers' bodies was parked half-a-mile along the road from the car park, which is usually busy.

The discovery was made at around 4.30pm. Two ambulances were sent to the scene. One is believed to have come back down with its lights flashing, the other following.

Residents in Lennoxtown were unaware of what had happened as the police helicopter and patrol cars moved in on the area.

Crow Road was sealed off to traffic and the car was moved from the scene at 10.50pm on Saturday by a recovery vehicle. The road did not reopen until yesterday, when police dog teams continued to examine the scene.

In Royston last night, local people spoke of their shock at the death of the two boys. One elderly woman, who did not want to give her name, said she knew the family.

She said: "I just heard about it this morning and I couldn't believe it. The whole place is in shock."

She said the family involved in the tragedy were known to be quiet and well-liked in the community.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/news/di ... ildren.php
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Apologies mods didn't realise thread up for this..please merge or lock.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby rammy » Sun May 04, 2008 10:06 pm

Makes me shiver. What is it about men, that can do this...I aint sexist or owt but, fkin ell, what makes them do it.
I can remember my oh, when I was pregnant, having a hard time and he said, as long as you are OK. I said, no, as long as the baby is ok and he looked at me......
rammy
First Time Offender

Return to News and Sport