Hughes tragedy

News and Sport

Hughes tragedy

Postby polandguy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:34 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... hes226.xml

A tragic story, and one's heart goes out to all those involved in this.

However it does illustrate how normal, rational people can do the most unusual things when unexpectedly faced with the dead bodies of loved ones.

Jake Bass, a family friend, was quoted today as saying: "James has an epileptic fit and died as a result. Heather panicked and spirited him away. She hid his body. She couldn't handle what had happened. Then she killed herself"

I find it interesting that the Telegraph quotes Superintendent Jane Horwood of West Mercia police saying, "It is a very unusual and tragic case and we will leave no stone unturned in trying to establish what happened."
polandguy
Suspect

Re: Hughes tragedy

Postby ejm » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 am

I agree that it's a tragic story, but I don't think I'll ever to be able to understand, the reasoning behind hiding a body when a natural death has occured :?: But I'm not in her position, so who knows :?:
ejm
Local Lag

Postby blondeefromthemirror » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 am

That is utterly heartbreaking,the poor woman must have been going through hell.
I find it particularly sad to read that she had opened the case at least twice to check on her son.
:cry:
blondeefromthemirror
You're Nicked

Postby Galatine » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 am

Read some of it this morning and felt so, so sad. And then I thought that this would be another story, alongside the Shannon Matthews and the Jersey care home/sniffer dog success ones, that would make uncomfortable reading for team McScam.
Galatine
You're Nicked

Postby bigmummy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:41 am

It is so sad maybe she did not want to let him go, she must have had to care for him every minute of the day, and then to kill herself, it just heartbreaking
bigmummy
On Parole

Postby marian » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:46 am

The suffering of this lovely woman must have been huge, caring for her disabled son 24/7 as well as her other children.

May she rest in peace, with her boy. May God comfort her family.
"whoever she's with she'll be giving them their tuppenceworth"
marian
First Time Offender

Postby blondeefromthemirror » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:47 am

bigmummy wrote:It is so sad maybe she did not want to let him go, she must have had to care for him every minute of the day, and then to kill herself, it just heartbreaking

That's exactly what I was thinking. Every mother, well most, could identify with her not being able to let go.
blondeefromthemirror
You're Nicked

Postby Renoir » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:50 am

Dreadful for the people left behind - but they, at least are together now, I think.
Renoir
Suspect

Postby Dove » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:58 am

What a tragic case.
I hope that he didn't suffer in any way and that he died by natural causes that were so sudden that he wouldn't have known anything.
The poor family, my heart goes out to them.
Bless all those who care for vulnerable people and may we all learn to be better at noticing when they need our help and support.
Be that which you would make others.

Amiel
http://dorsetdove.blogspot.com/
Dove
You're Nicked

Postby betwise » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:02 am

people know a real tragedy when they hear one.................................................
betwise
You're Nicked

Postby Banshee » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:23 am

marian wrote:The suffering of this lovely woman must have been huge, caring for her disabled son 24/7 as well as her other children.

May she rest in peace, with her boy. May God comfort her family.

Mum Heather and her son James together again ...

Requiescant en Pace.
"Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel."
Che Guevara
Banshee
Suspect

Postby chimaera » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:27 am

Yet another example of help not being given to full-time carers. This could have been avoided. So very sad.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby coral » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:48 am

This is so very sad. :( :(

No-one can criticise this poor woman and her actions, after a lifetime of caring for her disabled son it sounds as if his death conjured up a mixture of emotions, perhaps relief that his "suffering" (and hers?) was over, guilt, grief - all in all a lethal cocktail which probably drove to her to her death when her mind couldnt handle her inner turmoil.
coral
Local Lag

Postby Rose2007 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Yes, surely people shouldn't be allowed to end up in these tragic kinds of situations. Why wasn't she being helped??
Rose2007
Suspect

Postby Hare » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 pm

Rose2007 wrote:Yes, surely people shouldn't be allowed to end up in these tragic kinds of situations. Why wasn't she being helped??

I get so incredibly angry every time one of these stories breaks. We spend (or rather waste) 5 Million GBP on a farcial case involving Shannon Mathews, god only knows the cost of the McCann case, millions on a series of ridiculous public enquiries designed to whitewash and cover up incompetance, billions in corrupt back handers to Saudi prices over weapons deals, and trillions on an illegal war.

Those genuinely in need of help get absolutely nothing.

No doubt we'll soon be hearing from social services with the usual excuses about the shortfall in service and how "valuable lessons have been learned".
Hare
Suspect

Return to News and Sport