Joaohonesto's posts/snippets from Mirror Forum & Bararguido

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Joaohonesto's posts/snippets from Mirror Forum & Bararguido

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:15 am

http://forums.mirror.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0

Q: But you were responsible for the global mediatization of the McCanns. The fact that you work for the British govt. made your work easier

CM: In Portugal, a wrong idea about me was built. I was the head of the government's Media Monitoring Unit. It has a staff of 40 persons and their job is to control what comes out in the media. Every morning, I met with the PMs spokesman at N. 10 Downing Street and we'd discuss the developments. I didn't go just in there and talk directly to Gordon Brown. All I was able to do for the McCanns was through my computer and cellphone.

Some interesting quotes from an interview in Expresso with CM from the poster joaohonesto.
Last edited by KazLux on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Re: Joaohonesto's posts/snippets saved from Mirror Forum

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:15 am

Pros & Contras Part 1

mms://195.245.176.20/rtpfiles/videos/au ... 092007.wmv

Pros & Contras Part 2

mms://195.245.176.20/rtpfiles/videos/au ... 092007.wmv

(thanking joaohonesto from the MF for the links)
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 am

http://www.correiomanha.pt/not.....st][/list]

Translation by joaohonesto

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Logistical Searches

One of the most interesting reactions to the demoting of Gonçalo Amaral of Portimão PJ came from the spokesperson of the McCann couple, Clarence Mitchell.

On the day of the resignation Mitchell said that he now hoped for "a new breath" in the investigation, which should be centered on the relaunching of "logistical searches" looking for the missing child.

"Logistical searches" is an atypical expression but, in the context we're familiarized with, it means that the McCann couple now expects the PJ to concentrate exclusively in the kidnapping theory and stop thinking, even for a second, about a homicide case. The couple doesn't tolerate being considered suspect by the Portuguese police and hopes that they orient their work within the framework of the Find Madeleine campaign.

This unbelievable posture was subscribed by the surprising way the national direction of the PJ promoted the exit of Gonçalo Amaral from the case. More: with the unexpected approval of the Justice Minister. The sacking of a policeman or magistrate in the middle of a criminal investigation is always an act ot the utmost seriousness that should be thoroughly explained so that not the slightest trace of doubt remains. That didn't happen, not even with what PJ's national director said yesterday. It would be good that, in people's concerns, a consideration at least equal to the presumption of innocence is given to some transparency of the institutions regarding the functioning of something so serious as a criminal investigation.

' Eduardo Dâmaso, adjoint director
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:17 am

today's (11 october 2007) Correio da Manhã:

A Pol├¡cia Judici├íria tem as cartas rogat├│rias prontas e v├úo seguir para Inglaterra a qualquer momento – via Eurojust ou Procuradoria-Geral da Rep├║blica. O objectivo ├® inquirir os amigos que estiveram com o casal McCann na Praia da Luz e apreender objectos, como o di├írio que Kate guarda em casa.

http://www.correiodamanha.pt/n.....&p=200

The PJ's "lettters of request" are ready and will be dispatched to the UK at any moment ' via Eurojust or Procuradoria-Geral da Rep├║blica. The objective is to question the friends who were with the McCanns in Praia da Luz and aprehend objects such as the diary Kate keeps at home.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:18 am

from the Mirror forum (12 oktober 2007):

Posted by joaohonesto (here: http://forums.mirror.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=21143)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(this is only in today's 24horas paper edition; the main article is availabe on their online site)

----------------

"Gerry is Maddie's biological father"

McCANN COUPLE DENIES 24HORAS NEWS

The couple's spokesman made a statement saying the news we released yesterday is false. But he didn't answer 10 questions we put to him.

Rute Coelho

Clarence Mitchell, the McCann's spokesman, denied yesterday, on behalf of the couple and of Gerry and Kate's lawyers, 24horas' headline. "False news, unfounded and totally speculative", said Mitchell. "Gerry is Maddie's biological father. The news published today in 24horas are a succession of fabricated lies", he added in the statement. "Gerry and Kate McCann's lawyers, in both countries, remind the editors of both countries that they are monitoring the case's coverage very closely and will not hesitate to act, taking the appropriate legal actions in the two countries, when and how that may be necessary.

24horas tried to talk to Clarence Mitchell yesterday, but his cellphone was off from 16:00 on. Before that time, it was connected but he didn't answer. Because of that, and after a phone call to Penny Rose, an assessor of the Find Madeleine Fund, she guaranteed us that Mitchell would be "unavailable all afternoon". We sent two more e-mails to Penny, addressed to Mitchell. The first, sent at 17:27, contained the following nine questions:

1. 24horas confirmed today with PJ and Instituto Nacional de Medicina Legal [Portugal's forensic institute], that Gerry is not the biological father. Can you comment?

2. Was Madeleine conceived through artificial insemination? (to this question, Penny Rose answered yes by phone)

3. Does Gerry have a written statement from the laboratory stating who the donor was? If so, can you send us that statement?

4. When did Gerry make the s perm donation?

5. Did Gerry ever had a paternity test? When?

6. Does Gerry consider the possibility that he doesn't know who was the real donor for Madeleine's conception?

7. How are the McCanns reacting to the PJ's interest in Gerry's paternity and to the importance that this element had to the investigation?

8. Is it true that the McCanns hired their own forsensics team? If so, why?

9. Do the McCanns still harbour hope that their daughter will be found?

24horas mentioned in the e-mail that it would wait until 21:00 for the answers, the deadline for closing the edition. There was no answer. Before this deadline expired, at 20:14, we sent Penny Rose another e-mail with one question:

10. We have confirmed, through police sources, that Maddie's biological father was identified in the UK by the British police and that the authorities verified that he was in the UK when Madeleine disappeaared. We'd like you to comment also on this information.

This last question was also left without an answer.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:19 am

thanks to joaohonesto

this is only in the paper edition of today's 24horas:

----------------

Clarence Mitchell Threatens

Yesterday the spokesman of the McCann couple set up meetings with the chief editors of the main British newspapers. The latter didn't receive Clarence Mitchell and sent their editors instead. The former journalist allegedly warned those responsible to be careful about "writing unfounded stuff".The lawyers of the McCanns are monitoring all the news in Portugal and the UK in order to take legal action. Clarence went to the "Daily Star" and "The Sun".

Sónia Trigueirão
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 am

from joaohonesto

As our dear friend (or friends?) Lucian would say, these are the

FACTS

Starting with some FACTS about FACTS:

People are always complaining, with some reason, that we know very little facts about the McCann case and thus can practically only speculate.

Well, luckily, we have some facts we can rely upon, namely regarding the crime scene at Apt 5A of the Ocean Club, so we should at least be able to get rid of the malevolent and/or misinformed speculations being spread regarding this particular issue ' and getting a clearer picture of events something that should be welcomed by all, whatever our feelings about the McCanns may be,

So here's the FACTS that should NEUTRALIZE in any rational person's mind the innuendo spread by the British media & their faithful minions in this forum, regarding the crime scene at Apt 5A of the Ocean Club:

-----------------

Carlos Anjos, head of the PJ investigators Federation (ASFIC) in Pr├│s e Contras, RTP1, Sept 10 2007:

CA: We started this investigation it was what we call "a blank case".

We had a holiday apartment we were informed after everyone else was informed, including the media  mainly the media that's when we were informed that, from a holiday apartment had disappeared ' I'm trying to be as clear as possible without infringing the so called secret of justice ' in a holiday apartment most people know what a holiday apartment is like, it's something impersonal, where there are no goods from people, with very few belongings, and where there were three or four suitcases of clothing of the persons who were holidaying there.

In that apartment which had nothing in it, at a precise time that is known to be approximately at 6:00 PM, there were three children and two adults. At ten PM, 10:41 when the police was alerted, but it's known that at ten PM in that apartment something was missing ' a child. It could have been a piece of furnishing, but no, unfortunately it was a child that was missing.

And the picture that the police found was a scene ' a location, not of a crime, we didn't know if a crime had happened there, it could have been a disappearance, in which the parents couldn't tell us whether the window was open or closed, how they'd left the door's lock ' what was explained to us is that from that location had disappeared where nine people had already entered (all the British group that was holidaying), GNR had already been there (it was the first police force to be called to the spot) ' and there is not a single clue, not a single shred of evidence of what had happened there. That is, it was with this work basis

Hostess Judite de Sousa: So it was bound to be very difficult

CA: that the PJ started on this job. That is, there was absolutely nothing, and what might have existed had already been messed with by nine people (I'm putting aside my GNR colleagues). So, it was this that my Algarve colleagues found in that place ' it was this work basis that was handed over to the PJ, and it was demanded, internally and externally, that starting from zero, four months later four months later we'd have the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIFQFB2hTM

CA: The sense of proportion has been a bit lost in all this situation starting with the McCann couple. Because the day the child disappeared, the first call the McCann couple makes is to Sky News. And the Portuguese PJ arrived at the location one hour and a half before Sky News, so that day we had

JS: That's because Sky News was located in England, otherwise the [PJ] might have arrived later (laughing) run the risk of arriving later!

CA: No because they have in the Algarve always, in the Summer, a news team.

JS: You might have arrived later, that was

CA: I don't know. I know that we arrived one hour and a half before. And this, that day, gave us exactly the idea we understood the rules of the game we were going to play. We were going to play a game that is a case that was going to be discussed in the media and not in the calm and discreet environment of the criminal investigation, as it should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nAujKFJjQ

-------------

Carlos Anjos in Telejornal, RTP1, Sept 11 2007:

CA: When we realized that the first contact the McCann couple made after the disappearance of their daughter was not to the authorities, to any of the authorities, but to Sky News, the precedent had been created, or image had been given of the place where they wanted the investigation to be carried out, or the motto had been given that we were going to have a media-saturated investigation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1hqZRlL5Q

-------------

There should be no need to call attention to this phrase by Anjos, but for the sake of some confused souls here goes:

-----------

I'M TRYING TO BE AS CLEAR AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT INFRINGING THE SO CALLED SECRET OF JUSTICE

------------

to fully get the implications, it should be noted that all of Anjos' statements above were made live on RTP, PT's official TV channel, and that the first two statements were additionally made in Pr├│s e Contras, a debate on the Maddie case nationally televised to an audience of millions, whose participants included the cream of PT's 'intelligentsia' in areas relating to the case, such as Jos├® Manuel J├║dice (law) and Moita Flores (criminology), besides one of Spain's top judicial psychiatrists, Jose Cabrera '

' and ' AND ' A-N-D all that Anjos said was under the clear and explicit blessing, under the specific instructions even, of the national head of PJ, Alípio Ribeiro, who was interviewed live from PJ headquarters in the beginning of the program. This program was in fact conceived as a outlet for the PJ to finally release some official facts about the case, something it was much criticized for not doing even in Portugal.

In short: EVERY little thing that Carlos Anjos said in this program are OFFICIAL facts, amongst the precious few known in the Maddie case.

Can't get more straight for the horse's mouth than these crystal clear factual exact concrete FACTS of the crime scene at Apt 5A of the Ocean Club.

So I'm sorry but there's really no alternative for some desperate souls out there: either digest these FACTS or believe to your heart's content that, say, Al├¡pio Ribeiro makes Gon├ºalo Amaral look like, errÔǪ Gerry McCannÔǪ
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:20 am

'joaohonesto' in the Mirror Forum has posted some excerpts of the rtp special on youtube. you might want to check them out:

------------

"They've taken her" - Intro to "Anatomia de um Mist├®rio"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsuGxO7PB8w

------------

"No comment on Murat" - extended version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpKThIO5HA

-------------

Cadaver dogs in action at Apt. 5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXUW45Lm1EY

-------------

Martin Brunt on Murat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lVJ_6qzqvM

----------

Ian Woods: McCanns Did Not Call Sky News First

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3aOIheKXzI

----------

Lori Campbell of the Sunday Mirror denounces Murat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI0ud541smo

----------------

Cadaver Dogs in action in the Renault

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJhOvHNx5l4

-------------

Murat Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yROV49WP6cI
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:22 am

And a very inspiring post from Joaohonesto on bararguido forum:
http://bararguido.forum2u.org/what-do-do-t407.html

Inspired by Frange's thread, I'd like to share a few thoughts regarding "what can we do"

 the first being that at the moment I have no idea about what we should do in the future because I'm still reeling from what we've just DONE!

And I mean obviously the BB case.

I think this was a true case of a butterfly flapping its wings in some place and unleashing a storm elsewhere. BB posted her thread in the MF and in 48 hours all kinds high level Portuguese authorities were reacting to it, condemning indignantly what bb exposed, Jeezus, what power!!!! Of course bb was not alone, it was "we" that did it, by bringing the subject as much attention as possible until was picked up by the regular media before the higher powers realized what was happening.

And note that nothing of this was planned, it just happened under the right circumstances ' spudgun namely spread the news at lightning fast speed and by the time the Ministry of Truth realized what was happening the cat was completely out of the bag and had this huge effect (and it's just two days after)

In fact, I think BB's case is a replay, on a higher scale and with much higher reverberations, of the effect of the anti-Tony Persons thread in the MF, that famously generated 50 emails that forced the media to take notice, and, I'd say, first put the MF on the media radar. And it was under this media radar that the BB case took place, magnifying its consequences.

So indeed we do have a lot of power, and it may be mostly a matter of using it exactly at the right time, like David fighting Goliath.

So that's why I don't know anything specific about what to do, in the sense of showing short term results, we should just continue doing whatever we're doing, however insignificant it may seem, knowing that we are instinctively alert to any other opportunity that presents itself to pierce Goliath's armour of deceit. We may not be able to use this power on demand, but it may allow us to strike enough blows that cumulatively we may have the desired effect of exposing the lies.

By the way, there's another example of this amazing power that involves me personally, and that I'd like to share. In the "Anatomy of a Mystery" RTP program about the McCann case, there's a statement by Ian Woods of Sky News (see link to clip below) denying to Sandra Felgueiras the "McCanns called Sky News first" allegation, in which Woods says that he saw Carlos Anjos of the PJ making that statement on Portuguese TV. My first reaction upon hearing him say this was of great puzzlement: due to the language and cultural barrier, I doubted very much that Woods (or anyone at Sky, or at the MMU, or indeed any British citizen) just happened to be watching RTP's Jornal da Tarde or "Pr├│s e Contras" debate in Sep. 10, and specificall the minute or so it took him to reveal this fact (that I haven't heard about from absolutely no other source except Anjos on these two occasions). And then it hit me: of course Woods hadn't seen Anjos saying it on Portuguese TV, what he saw, I'd bet my house, was the clips from the programs that I posted on YouTube (with a translation in the comments) and then advertised in the MF a few weeks ago! (over 5000 views at the moment for both). And note that Woods states "I know that this is being put out there as an accepted fact" when offering the lame lie that Sky News wasn't called until the next morning. It should be added that to the best of my knowledge before I uploaded the Anjos clips on October 8, the "who did the McCanns call first?" had never before been raised in the media (even in the forum? should be easy to check).

And, to be a more specific about what can be done, besides keeping the forum alive and encouraging everyone to follow all the other good suggestions given, I'd just say that any emails sent to the Portuguese media will have an effect ' and it's no problem at all, on the contrary, if they're not written in Portuguese but in English, expressing interest that the case continues to be investigated. Sol is the obvious newspaper to write, but emails to Publico and Expresso, two very influential papers who've been paying not much attention to the case, might force them to reconsider (I may get individual emails for a lot of journalists at these papers).

And just a few last thoughts about the MF: even a few hours ago I was completely in favor of continuing to garrison the trenches there, but I'm becoming less sure by the minute. My feeling is that they'll never allow anything like the BB case to happen again. And if that's so, what's the point of say, spending an hour making a translation to have it instantly deleted? Of course it will be posted here too, but still I wonder if the minimal effort to try to give it a few seconds of life in the MF is worth it. By I stand ready to be convinced that the MF is indeed worth it.

Ian Woods: McCanns Did Not Call Sky News First

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3aOIheKXzI

Carlos Anjos: "McCanns called Sky News first"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfM90dsrqPM

Carlos Anjos: McCanns called Sky News first - 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_nAujKFJjQ

by watching the Woods clip again, I noticed something interesting: he specifically states that KATE McCann never called Sky News, while Anjos never mentioned WHICH of the McCanns made the call how weasel-y these people are and besides, all the well informed folks enjoying the atmosphere of Bar Arguido know that it was Gerry that, according to witness accounts, was busy calling everyone and their mother in the media, not Kate.

so, another peak through the veil of illusion they're trying to cast over us at least that's how I see it. but that may be only because I'm exhausted and am going to bed RIGHT NOW. goodnight everyone and see you in the morning!
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:22 am

This from joaohonesto on the MF

It's very simple: from next Jan. 3, Portugal's notorious "secrecy laws" are being turned into its very opposite: under the old laws, essentially everything pertaining to a judicial case was secret; now, in a 180 degree turn, essentially everything is to be made public.

And the relevant consequence is that from Jan. 3 on ALL THE EVIDENCE COLLECTED BY THE PJ REGARDING THE MCCANNS AND HANDED OVER TO THE JUDGE ON SEPT. 10 WILL BE IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN. <continues>
Now please note that is will happen regardless of whether the McCanns are charged or the case is filed away; at the very most, alleging that the case is especially complex, the secrecy laws can be prorogued for a further 90 days and no more.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:23 am

From joaohonesto in bar arguido re: swinging:

my feeling about the inclusion of the swinging allegations in Panorama is that it was a bit of PJ slurring by the BBC, because otherwise it feels out of place in a relatively short program, and since so many other much more relevant details were left out.

It must be noted also that, not only the PJ immediately denied Barra da Costa's allegations at the time, but later he was ridiculed live on national TV no less than by Carlos Anjos himself for making what he said were absurd allegations about the case such as that the dogs should have been taken to the church. The next day Barra was back on TV, absolutely fuming about the public humiliation he'd been subjected to, but some time later in a 24horas interview insisted again the PJ should check the swinging rumours.

My feeling about all this is that Barra da Costa is an old fox who wouldn't dare make such allegations live on TV if he wasn't VERY sure of his sources. It may even be that the PJ knows they are true but doesn't think they're relevant to the investigation. But perhaps Barra has been conducting a little private investigation of his own, he must still have all kinds of contacts. This fits with something that Moita Flores said on TV a couple of months ago about how fellow retired PJ inspectors kept telling him how they wished they were still working in the force helping to solve this fascinating "case of the century":

Anyway, I don't see how the PJ can be sued because of these allegations made by a Portuguese citizen who happens to have retired from the PJ a decade or so ago. Barra da Costa obviously they can sue, but would they want to?

http://bararguido.forum2u.org/why-menti ... -t575.html
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:24 am

From Joaohonesto in bar arguido:
http://bararguido.forum2u.org/maddie-th ... -t606.html

new Maddie book to be released in Portugal in the next few days.

MADDIE A FILHA DO MUNDO

(MADDIE THE WORLD'S DAUGHTER)

by Luís Neves, RTP journalist, published by Oficina do Livro

"Why we adopted Maddie" is the starting point of a book that will be released this month and reflects upon the phenomenon that the disappearance of the British girl who became "the world's daughter" turned into, writes Lusa [PT news agency].

The disappearance of Madeleine McCann began as a police case and ended up as a journalistic and sociological phenomenon with a worlwide dimension.

Through almost 200 pages, the author, RTP journalist Luís Castro, aims to make the public reflect upon the six months of intense media coverage that acquired countours of a patriotic war between the Portuguese and the British.

The author reports the facts since the night of May 3 until November 3 and pairs them with the comments of 24 personalities invited to participate in the work.

()

Luís Castro asks why she started to be called Maddie in Portugal when her parents and relatives always called her Madeleine, and suggests an answer: "We looked for a designation that shortened the distance and created ties of emotion and familiarity. Maddie stopped being the McCann's daughter and became the world's daughter".

http://www.portugaldiario.iol......div_id=291

I can't resist quoting again the beautiful last phrase:

MADDIE STOPPED BEING THE MCCANN'S DAUGHTER AND BECAME THE WORLD'S DAUGHTER

and for once I think pros and antis may agree on something
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Re: Joaohonesto's posts/snippets from Mirror Forum & Bararguido

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:25 am

From joaohonesto in the mf: PJ was watching Panorama.

this is from yesterday's JN, and to the best of my knowledge had been overlooked:

-------

() the investigators are also paying attention to the public statements of some witnesses that, in the PJ's view, are clearly violating the secret of justice. Jane Tanner, a friend of the McCanns, who says she saw a man holding a child, and that locates Robert Murat at the Ocean Club, the night Maddie disappeared, broke now her silence. She talked first in the US network CBS and afterwards to British TV BBC, whose documentary was broadcast last night. ()

http://jn.sapo.pt/2007/11/20/p.....ra_ap.html
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:26 am

Joaohonesto translated and posted this yesterday on DMF and bar arguido: http://bararguido.forum2u.org/post10904.html#10904
(here in full with permission)

McCANNS RISK 10 YEARS IN PRISON

by Paulo Aido

If it's proven they were involved in the crime of abandoning their daughter, the McCanns may be sentenced to a prison term of up to 10 years

Nobody would say, immediately after May 3, when the disappearance of Madeleine was known, that those two parents, with crying and hopeless voices, might be sentenced in court for everything that had happened to their daughter.

At the time they generated a feeling of solidarity that spread from the borders of Praia da Luz into the whole world. But the truth is that six months later, the development of the story permits casting over them a less complacent glance.

If what's been made public is confirmed, it's very possible the McCanns will have to face the courts.

SERIOUS CHARGES

At this moment, there is a growing possibility that Kate and Gerry will face charges of serious negligence or, ultimately, homicide. Several suspicions are cast over them, from abandonment of minors to much more serious charges of homicide by negligence and hiding a corpse.

The fact that they were made arguidos on Sept. 7 is a sign they may be charged. The 42 year old lawyer Jos├® Ol├¡mpio, with large court experience, explains this juridical situation: "The fact that the McCanns were made arguidos means, among other things, that there's justified suspicions of a crime having been commited".

However, the attorney cautions that "an inquiry about certain people against whom there's strong suspicions of committing a crime may not necessarily result in a trial".

In order to get there, to the trial, it's necessary that the Minist├®rio P├║blico [public prosecutor] makes charges or that a "despacho de pron├║ncia" [an order that charges are brought] has been issued by an instruction judge.

TRIAL

At this moment, and due the case being under secret of justice, the most we can do is "anticipate" ' as Jos├® Ol├¡mpio explains ' "some of the several possible scenarios".

Thus, it's admissible that the Minist├®rio P├║blico, if it charges Madeleine's parents, may do it for the crime of abandonment, associating it to the crime of homicide by negligence.

In the eventuality of the trial taking place, the McCanns will have to answer to Portuguese Justice, in Portimão, because the competent court is the one in which area the crime took place.

In principle, the possibility of the couple being sentenced in the UK would be precluded.

SCENARIO A

Contrary to the theory more explored by the media up to now, and confirming what the private investigators of the Spanish firm Metodo3 have been stating, the trail of little Maddie is found. The proof that the child is alive CLEARS THE PARENTS of the homicide charges, but may leave open the evaluation of the matter of the crime of abandonment.

SCENARIO B

The child never shows up again, or the girl's body is found. Thus, several CHARGES can be brought against the parents.

CHARGE 1

CRIME OF ABANDON. Regarding this crime, the Penal Code says that anyone who endangers the life of another person, abandoning her defenceless ' and having that responsibility and that duty ' "is punished with a prison sentence from 1 to 5 years. This sentence may be aggravated in its minimum limit to 2 years", explains Jos├® Ol├¡mpio, "if the fact has been committed by an ascendant or a descendant", that precisely describes the Maddie case. In case the crime of abandonment results in death, "the agent is punished with a prison sentence from 3 to 10 years".

CHARGE 2

HOMICIDE BY NEGLIGENCE. The crime of homicide is translated in the fact of someone killing another person. Thus, what should one mean by negligence? Portuguese law says that "a person acts with negligence when it doesn't proceed with the care that, according to circumstances, it is obliged or able toÔǪ". That is, it's the case in which someone won't have acted with the care it was demanded of that person. In this case, the law states that anyone kills a person by negligence shall be punished with a prison sentence of up to 3 years or with a monetary fine. In any case, explains Jos├® Ol├¡mpio, "the sentence measure may be aggravated with prison up to 5 years in the case of gross negligence, that is, because the agent acted with a clamorous lack of elementary care".

CHARGE 3

HIDING A CORPSE. Associated to the crime of homicide, the crime of hiding a corpse has also been mentioned in the Maddie case. In this scenario, the law determines that anyone who "destroys or hides a corpse" shall be punished with a prison sentence of up to 2 years or a penalty fine of up to 240 days.

from TV Guia 23-29 Nov. 2007
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 am

Frangendapenik wrote:
João, always coming here to post important and thought provoking matters. You enter walking fast and you left runing!

Stay here a little more! Thank you!

Regards. About the topic, all I want is to live to see...

Hi Frange and all,

If I don't stay a bit more is because I'm a bit overwhelmed by all this, and frankly, I think I should give a priority to the MF, for the exclusive reason that there many more people reading there. And whenever I think that things are a bit calmer and I'm going to relax a bit at BA, some news come out that I think I should translate and post and I postpone my visit (except to post what I translated). This is exactly what happened today with this &quot;McCanns may get 10 years in prison&quot; story. And is it just a coincidence that tomorrow's Daily Mirror cover is this:

the thing is, at least for the moment I can't find any other possible source for this story than this obscure magazine, TV Guia, I translated the article from.

so believe me it's out of a (possibly misplaced) sense of duty that I don't hang round BA more often ' I hate and get very upset and take some time to recover from confrontations with the likes of endreas and LeeAnnDevette but I feel I should do it, not because of them, but because of the others that are reading.

anyway, as tomorrow is Saturday, I should be able to enjoy the company of friends here
[/quote]
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Next

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations