Transcript: BBC Interview with Gerry McCann at EITF

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Transcript: BBC Interview with Gerry McCann at EITF

Postby scylla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:02 pm

Late August 2007 at the Edinburgh International Television Festival

BBC: Gerry McCann, why did you want to come here to a conference on television event?

GM: I think the first thing to say, Nick, is that when I actually agreed to do it, we kind of predicted what was going to happen to the degree of coverage, and really the reason I'm here was primarily to tell people that Madeline is still missing and we're still looking for her, and particularly to touch an international audience, who{what?} I didn't expect was there to be such intense coverage of the news story for such a long time.

BBC: Why do you think that is?

GM: I think that there is undoubtedly a huge desire for people to, one, want to find Madeleine, but to know what's happening where there clearly is a lot of pressure on people to write things just now because they're in Portugal when there's not actually very much happening.

BBC: Do you feel in some ways that you've unleashed a monster? In the very early stages you were desperate for publicity and you courted publicity very effectively. Now do you feel it's run away from you?

GM: I think ... I think that's far too simplistic. There was a huge media presence in Praia da Luz from Day One before we really had done anything. All we did was to make a conscious decision to interact with the media and to raise awareness of Madeleine's disappearance and, I never ever expected {this} and don't think it's necessarily beneficial to have constant coverage. Uh, what we just want is, given the huge saturation particularly in the UK and also Portugal, what we really just want to do, I mean we hope we never get there but if Madeleine is still missing we just want to remind people from time to time, and frequently now, that she is still missing and we're still looking.

BBC: From the outside, it appears that you've been running, candidly, crudely, a very professional campaign with a lot of very experienced public relations professionals and so on; I mean clearly that is accidental but how did that come about?
[Gerry displays big grin]

GM: Well it's not at all. You know we just happen to be a fairly ordinary family, some of whom were{we're} quite good at speaking on television. Of course we had advice at the beginning, from the PR people brought in by Mark Warner, Alex Woolfall, who gave us some excellent advice, you know, "What are your objectives and how's it going to help your search for Madeleine?", and then due to the massive media demand going on, it's not the other way 'round, not us asking for media, uh, we were advised that we should have a family spokesperson and we asked the Foreign Office to provide that and, and they did support us and that was very, very important to protect us from the media and what has been incredibly difficult emotional circumstances. And then we, we of course did decide that we needed someone to help advise us, uh, longer term for our campaign, and, with Madeleine's Fund we decided to appoint a campaign manager, and I have to say, we appointed somebody to plan our strategy sort of medium and long term if it was needed, but actually her job has been full-time handling the media.

BBC: Would you like the media then now to go away? What do you want to happen over the coming weeks and months apart obviously from getting Madeleine back?

GM: I think the key thing is that um, what we would ask is that this story, Madeleine's disappearance and investigation, is reported responsibly, and only newsworthy material being reported.

BBC: So you would like much less coverage?

GM: Absolutely, because you know there has been huge amounts written with no substance.

BBC: How stressful have you found it and has Kate found it?

GM: (slight pause) Madeleine being missing has been incredibly stressful, um, being under a media spotlight, ah, has added to that and at times, leading up to the 100 days that did reach fever pitch and we felt very much uh, badgered and uh, unfairly I suppose as well, and probably something that we were prepared for in the first week or two which didn't actually happen, to have, as it approached the 100 days we weren't prepared for, but things have gone back to a degree of normality again and some calmness has settled in, largely as a result of the PT police official spokesperson, and that's what we'd ask people to look at, at what is being said officially that we are not suspects, that there is no evidence that we are involved in Madeleine's disappearance, and if there was, that the police would have to declare us as suspects. That's Portuguese law. And compare that to what's actually being written and covered. The two do not bear comparison.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6960000/newsid_6963600/6963685.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm&nol_storyid=6963685&news=1

Note: most of the ums, ahs and errrs have been replaced by commas.
Our children change us ... whether they live or not.

- Lois McMaster Bujold -
scylla
Local Lag

Re: Transcript: BBC Interview with Gerry McCann at EITF

Postby celticcarla » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:11 pm

GM: I think that there is undoubtedly a huge desire for people to, one, want to find Madeleine, but to know what's happening where there clearly is a lot of pressure on people to write things just now because they're in Portugal when there's not actually very much happening.

:lol: :lol: :lol: No gerry not much happening at all until a few weeks later when you and your missus were made arguidos, guess they forgot to tell you that you two were the investigation then eh ?? :lol:
"We have a pact. This is our matter only. It is nobody else's business", says David Payne.
Gonçalo Amaral promises to clarify "all the lies created"
celticcarla
Mafia Boss

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations