EUPHEMISMS TO AVOID LAWSUITS

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Re: EUPHEMISMS TO AVOID LAWSUITS

Postby Drummergirl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:24 pm

bonnybraes1 wrote:It might be worth remembering that this is just an Internet forum, and one of the more mild ones at that. If anyone wishes to be outraged, perhaps they should go into a bar or coffee shop, and see what happens when the McCanns are mentioned.

I agree. The day before yesterday, I was in my local shop, and one of the women serving was talking to a customer. The customer mentioned the questioning, and the woman said "it's about b****y time, I am sick of those two and their cronies. They need putting away for neglect alone!" That drew the agreement of three or four other people in the vicinity, and while I was stood in the queue, this discussion developed. It was NOT favourable to the McCanns, and some of the things said were not pleasant hearing, but probably represent the majority of the population's feelings. I had to laugh when one of the people said "they did it, there's no question. Sue me", which led to them talking about the Express settlement, and the general concensus was that they were money-grabbing, child-neglecting barstewards who should be languishing in a jail on neglect alone, maybe much more. The spin is not working, Clarrie, you must try harder!
Fear nothing, regret less.
Drummergirl
You're Nicked

Postby Laffin Assasin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Drummergirl wrote:
bonnybraes1 wrote:It might be worth remembering that this is just an Internet forum, and one of the more mild ones at that. If anyone wishes to be outraged, perhaps they should go into a bar or coffee shop, and see what happens when the McCanns are mentioned.

I agree. The day before yesterday, I was in my local shop, and one of the women serving was talking to a customer. The customer mentioned the questioning, and the woman said "it's about b****y time, I am sick of those two and their cronies. They need putting away for neglect alone!" That drew the agreement of three or four other people in the vicinity, and while I was stood in the queue, this discussion developed. It was NOT favourable to the McCanns, and some of the things said were not pleasant hearing, but probably represent the majority of the population's feelings. I had to laugh when one of the people said "they did it, there's no question. Sue me", which led to them talking about the Express settlement, and the general concensus was that they were money-grabbing, child-neglecting barstewards who should be languishing in a jail on neglect alone, maybe much more. The spin is not working, Clarrie, you must try harder!

It's working on some, I've had a couple of heated debates at work this week, with people who believe every word of the spin and propaganda. :twisted: :twisted:
Laffin Assasin
Mafia Boss

Postby Buildafiredontget... » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm

Absobloodylutely. The onstage routines at a number of Edinburgh Festival Fringe Comedy clubs and shows last August makes this place look like a discussion between two nuns about their favourite type of hessian.
And I am talking about TOP quality, highly respected international comedians and entertainers with reputations to keep. I'm afraid the jokes were UNREPEATABLE - certainly on this forum - suffice to say one entertainer's routine on Gerry McCann took physical humour to the skidmark yer pants laughing level.

Oh yeah... euphemisms...

vindictive = to ask a question of a McCann.

elastic band = a pre-used "high quality wristband".

stuffed full and airtight = Tapas tupperware box
Buildafiredontget...
Local Lag

Postby Drummergirl » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Laffin Assasin wrote:
Drummergirl wrote:

It's working on some, I've had a couple of heated debates at work this week, with people who believe every word of the spin and propaganda. :twisted: :twisted:

Surely nobody's that daft? I accept that people believe the McCanns are innocent, that's fine with me, but the spin has contradicted itself on more than one occasion. Do the people you know engage their brains when listening to this idiot, and realise that he said something completely different, or the McCanns did the opposite, the week before?

It used to work on my dad. On the day they were made suspects, I said "Dad, do you think they did it?", and he said "no, I don't think so". Then, I showed him a very interesting thread on here with the contradictions in statements and strange turns of phrase, and he started looking a bit more. When my grandad came round (he's a retired copper, and he reckons he could question the witnesses in such a way that if they were telling lies, they would be found out and would have to be named suspects, if this was legally possible), he asked my dad, and my dad said "Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, they've told lies". Clarrie, I think, is making more people see them as guilty every time he opens his trap. Well, that's true with the people I know anyway!
Fear nothing, regret less.
Drummergirl
You're Nicked

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:00 am

Buildafiredontget... wrote:vindictive = to ask a question of a McCann.

elastic band = a pre-used "high quality wristband".

stuffed full and airtight = Tapas tupperware box

Many thanks, Buildafiredontget... I have added these three to the master list, but I have reversed the "elastic band" euphemism to:

High-quality wristband = An elastic band

I have also adjusted:

Abduction = Likened to a depleted bank account; see also Stolen wallet

to go with:

Stolen wallet = Any unlikely event
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby icarus » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:34 am

I didn't see this one, so forgive if already posted:

Dining in one's back garden = Getting p.issed and into your friends in the pub down the road.

Heh, it would be awesome if it became a new chavvy euphemism:
"Oi, Tyrell, fancy dining in the back garden Saturday night?"
icarus
First Time Offender

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:22 pm

icarus wrote:I didn't see this one, so forgive if already posted:

Dining in one's back garden = Getting p.issed and into your friends in the pub down the road.

Heh, it would be awesome if it became a new chavvy euphemism:
"Oi, Tyrell, fancy dining in the back garden Saturday night?"

No, it was not there, icarus, although it is down in the QUOTATIONS... thread. I have gone ahead and have added it to the Master List.

Many thanks!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby ANDITSWIFEFACT » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:53 pm

"We are on the bones of our a r s e" ....... Fund has dropped below a million
ANDITSWIFEFACT

Postby pensive1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 am

That is really articulate. Well done. Can I ask are you Pro or Anti?

Regards
pensive1
Suspect

Postby HawkEyes1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:07 pm

pensive1 wrote:That is really articulate. Well done. Can I ask are you Pro or Anti?

Regards

Are you speaking to Anditswifefact, pensive1? Or are you speaking to yours truly?

I could not tell from your post!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:12 pm

ANDITSWIFEFACT wrote:"We are on the bones of our a r s e" ....... Fund has dropped below a million

I have added this as:

We are on the bones of our a*rse = We are down to less than a million in our fund!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby ANDITSWIFEFACT » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Anti..... But I really don't give a flying f u c k behind the bikesheds what happens to 'em.
ANDITSWIFEFACT

Postby blossom » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:43 am

HawkEyes1 wrote:
pensive1 wrote:That is really articulate. Well done. Can I ask are you Pro or Anti?

Regards

Are you speaking to Anditswifefact, pensive1? Or are you speaking to yours truly?

HawkEyes - last night a new poster put a very offensive post in huge red letters (a very vulgar word spelled out) all over the board and on nearly all the front page threads. That post was right above Pensive's post, between Anditswifefact and Pensives. The post has been entirely removed by mods. The post was also on the Rog. Letters, Euphamisms,
(and others).= pensive1 was speaking to the offending poster. Rgds.
blossom
Local Lag

Postby blossom » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:03 pm

posted in error
blossom
Local Lag

Postby HawkEyes1 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:16 pm

blossom wrote:
HawkEyes1 wrote:

Regards

HawkEyes - last night a new poster put a very offensive post in huge red letters (a very vulgar word spelled out) all over the board and on nearly all the front page threads. That post was right above Pensive's post, between Anditswifefact and Pensives. The post has been entirely removed by mods. The post was also on the Rog. Letters, Euphamisms,
(and others).= pensive1 was speaking to the offending poster. Rgds.

Many thanks, blossom, for explaining! I must have missed all of those offensive posts, as I was away most of the afternooon and evening here in the States. I guessed it was said in sarcasm but had thought the Anditswifefact post mild. Only a good Old English word, far better than the more common substitute "ass" as used here!
HawkEyes1
On Parole

PreviousNext

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations