MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby Whatever » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:16 pm

Happydog - I know..I know..and I'm scratching my head with you... :?
'okay, we've tried really hard and we've come up with nothing' - K. McCann
Whatever
Hardened Criminal

Postby Meadow » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:23 pm

The thread is only a closed shop, if people have closed minds.

But remember those that were here at the begining came with open hearts.
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby Kerry1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:44 pm

blacksmith wrote:
Vimes wrote:[

-
Don't you dare snip for brevity: you might get someone telling you that you are deliberately distorting the post. And then attempting to disguise it.

Yes, I very much take your point.

Blacksmith
If this was a little dig at my post on page 186, then I believe you have "deliberately distorted" my post. I couldn't care less if someone snipped for brevity, as long as they made it clear. I am never going to object to anyone "snipping posts for brevity" when they correctly attribute the quotes, as Vimes has done on page 191. I do this myself, and find it useful when posters do it, as Vimes has done, to draw attention to salient points.

What I objected to in my post to you on p.186 was that your snipping (whether accidentally, on purpose, or by the fault of the software) incorrectly attributed the quote to Retribution, when it was in fact your own quote. The reason I objected was, as I said, that snipping posts in this misleading way makes all future posts and quotes confusing. I stand by that, but the way that Vimes snipped was not confusing, it was helpful in that it drew attention to the point being replied to, yet the quote was correctly attributed. Do you not see the difference?

Kerry
Kerry1
Suspect

Postby Meadow » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi Kerry

Snipping has always been a contentious issue. Many will complain about quote, quote & quotes and this programme only allows for three quotes.

But I know most arguments on MF was the result of inappropriate snipping. Hence for clarity its far better to quote in full, then extract & hi-light anything specific.

Equally it helps posters joining the thread having to read back.

Sorry to the Administration and the use of excessive space - but time and time again, you'll see posters fall out due to not quoting in full.

Particularly of busy threads or those like the ''Main'' that changes subject matter.
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby bloggit22 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:09 pm

.....Is that 'snipping' or 'sniping'? :wink:

Yes Whatever, we've been collectively hurt. The PJ arriving has been a long time coming...... what we need now is for them to get on with it....... quell the rumours.... and then (hopefully) we'll have more to debate.........
bloggit22
Suspect

Postby Whatever » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:18 pm

Cynically selective snipping is, indeed, a low down dirty trick and I remember being the victim of it once myself - but I have to say, it was done by someone who generally engaged in low down dirty tricks of all kinds. Personally speaking, I don't have Blacksmith as such a poster. Never have and never will. There was a lot of quoting and snipping going on and it appeared to get into a right old mess. Easily done.
'okay, we've tried really hard and we've come up with nothing' - K. McCann
Whatever
Hardened Criminal

Postby bjr » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:35 pm

I have locked this thread and moved it to the reference forum as it has descended into a thread about posters and not about Madeleine.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Previous

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations