MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby RRR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:25 pm

Sprat "invading our psyches" - yes, which is why most of us are starting to go a bit mental, as they say in the trade. And each in his/her own way.
RRR
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:56 am

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby batperson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:28 pm

blacksmith wrote:So the questions which I, under my real name of Antony Sharples, address to those remaining posters with both intelligence and scruples are these: don't you have any worries about the cowardice involved in throwing stones while hidden behind a fence, safe from retribution or reality? And, secondly, are you sure you should be here, on a site where the names and avatars themselves reveal that the McCanns are being used to act out posters' fantasies of retribution and power? And are you sure, absolutely sure, you haven't been corrupted yourself?


Hi blacksmith

Regarding yesterday's situation, the reason I did not respond to the unfounded suggestions is the same reason I ignore 90% of the drivel on this forum. At least on the MF the speculation was tempered by the presence of some reasonably mainstream posters in the "pro" camp. On here you can say what you like, but I just ignore anything with even the faintest whiff of BS.

I don't give my real name simply because I have seen on usenet what some nutters do when they get upset by someone and have enough information to find out who someone is "in real life". Even if I did give you my real name, you might still not be happy; doubts might set in that I had given you a false name, and we would be back to our wicked world of nicknames and multiple IDs. The only assumption I make about the person behind the poster is that it is probably the same person each time. I certainly do not believe that I *know* anyone on here. In some cases I would in as far as saying I relate to a poster's online persona.

I agree that some on here can give it much better than they can take it. I would like to think that I have not thrown any stones - as a result the fact I am hiding behind a fence is irrelevant. I have found that by not throwing stones I also don't come under fire very often. I agree that some of the avatars on here are tasteless - I think mine is quite tasty.

Corrupted? No. Obsessed? Probably, but not because of this forum or any other.

.batperson
User avatar
batperson
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Never far away...

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby marian » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Blacksmith its great to see you post here. Your intelligent and well presented comments have been missed.

Janz1956 is right, its not the platform for digs at other posters according to T's & C's, though your descriptions were not well received your attempts to lighten the atmos was appreciated by many.

Write on! Your views on the McCanns are also shared by the majority here.

They stink.
"whoever she's with she'll be giving them their tuppenceworth"
User avatar
marian
First Time Offender
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 am

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby blacksmith » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 pm

batperson wrote:
blacksmith wrote:So the questions which I, under my real name of Antony Sharples, address to those remaining posters with both intelligence and scruples are these: don't you have any worries about the cowardice involved in throwing stones while hidden behind a fence, safe from retribution or reality? And, secondly, are you sure you should be here, on a site where the names and avatars themselves reveal that the McCanns are being used to act out posters' fantasies of retribution and power? And are you sure, absolutely sure, you haven't been corrupted yourself?


Hi blacksmith

Regarding yesterday's situation, the reason I did not respond to the unfounded suggestions is the same reason I ignore 90% of the drivel on this forum. At least on the MF the speculation was tempered by the presence of some reasonably mainstream posters in the "pro" camp. On here you can say what you like, but I just ignore anything with even the faintest whiff of BS.

I don't give my real name simply because I have seen on usenet what some nutters do when they get upset by someone and have enough information to find out who someone is "in real life". Even if I did give you my real name, you might still not be happy; doubts might set in that I had given you a false name, and we would be back to our wicked world of nicknames and multiple IDs. The only assumption I make about the person behind the poster is that it is probably the same person each time. I certainly do not believe that I *know* anyone on here. In some cases I would in as far as saying I relate to a poster's online persona.

I agree that some on here can give it much better than they can take it. I would like to think that I have not thrown any stones - as a result the fact I am hiding behind a fence is irrelevant. I have found that by not throwing stones I also don't come under fire very often. I agree that some of the avatars on here are tasteless - I think mine is quite tasty.

Corrupted? No. Obsessed? Probably, but not because of this forum or any other.

.batperson

-
Yes. As always - assuming that there is continuity of identity - you make great sense. Two points. First I am not being completely original (shouts from groundlings, never is...arrogant...go back to your pit etc). Although I've changed my mind since yesterday I did read briefly about two weeks ago that a book has come out and started making waves in the States attacking the internet and forums as definite enemies of truth, apparently through the unexpected dynamics involved. I know nothing more except that the book is being taken seriously over there and is by, I think, a respected person. I shall try and find out more.

The nub of my own worries remains the special case of a forum or thread where two human beings, not black magic, freemasonry, a dead princess or the other usual suspects of forum stupidity are concerned. Is it really right that the same rules - of anonymity, any accusation goes etc - should apply then? Morally, I mean.

Anyway, a thought provoking post of yours.
blacksmith
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby HAPPYDOG » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:00 pm

Blacksmith I have always admired your posts from the days on the MF I used to look out for them.

Keep up the good work.
HAPPYDOG
XXXXX
User avatar
HAPPYDOG
Local Lag
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:31 am

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby Vimes » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 pm

[quote="blacksmith]The nub of my own worries remains the special case of a forum or thread where two human beings, not black magic, freemasonry, a dead princess or the other usual suspects of forum stupidity are concerned. Is it really right that the same rules - of anonymity, any accusation goes etc - should apply then[/quote]

Snipped for brevity.

If the two human beings, in question, had attempted to preserve their privacy, by staying in the background, while the investigation continued, without interference, then I would be more inclined to agree with you - in this case, given the media circus, which they encouraged and participated in, fully and voluntarily, then I disagree. As the saying goes, "if you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows".
Champion of the burnt crunchy bits school of culinary appreciation.
User avatar
Vimes
Local Lag
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Ankh-Morpork

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby NeverPebbles » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Sorry to interrupt, but have you seen GoodForYou's thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7896&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
'They've taken her!'
Who, Kate? Who 'took' your daughter?
NeverPebbles
On Parole
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:44 pm

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby Meadow » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10 pm

I don't think there is anything sinister in forum or chatroom gossip and debate.

People have to decide what they believe and where and when they want to post their views, they have to take responsibility.

The mentality, group psyche is basically that one of the ''mob'' the crowd.

But since we are brainwashed by the t.v., media generally, we have, particularly in most recent years been a nation - talking of the UK particularly affected by political spin, personal hype and anything in between. Both by our elective government, entertainers or people who just want their 15 minutes of fame.

Perhaps for some of us, we see it as a place we can make a point of view. You can rant and scream at the t.v. screen and the newspapers, but they can't hear.

Negative or positive, the internet is a place to record your protest. Like the media in general people have the right to believe or dis-believe what the they read.

Remember what took us to war, with regard to the Weapons of Mass Destruction, yes, I was one who thought, OMG - ''they'' must know, and are too afraid to tell us, they need to protect us. And what did it turn out to be ? mostly spin.

Sorry, Blacksmith this is my opportunity to make a statement.

I have never be a neglectful person and everyone is entitled to make mistakes, but four nights is not a mistake. Neither is it an opportunity to jump on some bandwagon to tell others about abuse of children, when they have just lost one of their own.

Had the media done a responsible job, or even now did a responsible job. Personally I couldn't give a FF about any of the T9.

But I do care about children and I care that the holidaying groups don't decide there is a new level of child care.

But it remains a matter of responsible posting. We all know which threads and posters we read.
Meadow
Local Lag
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby retribution » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10 pm

[quote="blacksmith]The nub of my own worries remains the special case of a forum or thread where two human beings, not black magic, freemasonry, a dead princess or the other usual suspects of forum stupidity are concerned. Is it really right that the same rules - of anonymity, any accusation goes etc - should apply then[/quote]

-----------------------------------

Quote Vimes:

Snipped for brevity.

If the two human beings, in question, had attempted to preserve their privacy, by staying in the background, while the investigation continued, without interference, then I would be more inclined to agree with you - in this case, given the media circus, which they encouraged and participated in, fully and voluntarily, then I disagree. As the saying goes, "if you fly with the crows, you get shot with the crows".

_________________
Champion of the burnt crunchy bits school of culinary appreciation.
------------

I couldn't agree more.
retribution
First Time Offender
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby HAPPYDOG » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Also there is a saying live by the sword die by the sword, as quoted by Nasty Nick from BB1.

Remember him.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
HAPPYDOG
XXXXX
User avatar
HAPPYDOG
Local Lag
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:31 am

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby Meadow » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Mud sticks !
Meadow
Local Lag
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:03 pm

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby batperson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:24 pm

blacksmith wrote:Is it really right that the same rules - of anonymity, any accusation goes etc - should apply then? Morally, I mean.


I occasionally wonder how I would feel if I was one of the McCanns and was actually innocent, and I found this forum. I would of course be horrified. I would be keen however that the truth be known, so I would read very carefully what people were writing, and I would make every effort to address the issues raised about leaving Portugal, the fund, ignoring sightings etc. I would probably do this through the mainstream media to get the widest coverage. In short I would answer the questions.

What I see is two people who have done none of this, from which I conclude that one or more of the following is true:
* they are not like me
* they do not read any forums or blogs
* they do not care what the public think
* they are not innocent

I don't hate the McCanns. I just think they lied about their daughter's disappearance and I would like to know why.

.batperson
User avatar
batperson
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Never far away...

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby HAPPYDOG » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:33 pm

batperson wrote:
blacksmith wrote:Is it really right that the same rules - of anonymity, any accusation goes etc - should apply then? Morally, I mean.


I occasionally wonder how I would feel if I was one of the McCanns and was actually innocent, and I found this forum. I would of course be horrified. I would be keen however that the truth be known, so I would read very carefully what people were writing, and I would make every effort to address the issues raised about leaving Portugal, the fund, ignoring sightings etc. I would probably do this through the mainstream media to get the widest coverage. In short I would answer the questions.

What I see is two people who have done none of this, from which I conclude that one or more of the following is true:
* they are not like me
* they do not read any forums or blogs
* they do not care what the public think
* they are not innocent

I don't hate the McCanns. I just think they lied about their daughter's disappearance and I would like to know why.

.batperson



Good points well said batperson.
HAPPYDOG
XXXXX
User avatar
HAPPYDOG
Local Lag
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:31 am

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby blacksmith » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:37 pm

Vimes wrote:[

-
Don't you dare snip for brevity: you might get someone telling you that you are deliberately distorting the post. And then attempting to disguise it.

Yes, I very much take your point.
blacksmith
Been Cautioned
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: MAIN MADELEINE THREAD MK III

Postby Vimes » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:42 pm

blacksmith wrote:
Vimes wrote:[

-
Don't you dare snip for brevity: you might get someone telling you that you are deliberately distorting the post. And then attempting to disguise it.

Yes, I very much take your point.


Oops - sorry.

:wink:
Champion of the burnt crunchy bits school of culinary appreciation.
User avatar
Vimes
Local Lag
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:32 pm
Location: Ankh-Morpork

PreviousNext

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests
cron