Daily Mirror Articles

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Re: Daily Mirror Articles

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:55 pm

McCanns' overdose smear fury
By Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz25/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Maddy's parents sue paper
Madeleine school's prayers
Maddy dad in last-ditch appeal
Maddy father cracks on TV
Gerry McCann storms out of TV interview
More Top Stories
What are you talking about? Get published
News picturesRelated Tags
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, overdose, praia da luz

(What's this?)Gerry McCann yesterday launched a blistering attack on a Portuguese newspaper for accusing him and wife Kate of killing Madeleine with drugs.

The paper Tal & Qual claimed police are working on the theory the McCanns accidentally gave the four-year-old an overdose then covered up the death and disposed of her body.

Gerry said: "I can't believe this. It is absolute nonsense, total speculation, a load of tosh.

"It's incredibly hurtful and incredibly untrue. It is just so absurd, it is just not credible.

Advertisement
"What it implies is that we somehow did it, we did it together, managed to dispose of Madeleine without a car, without anything, the whole group was involved.

"Even if somebody could think that, there is just absolutely no evidence pointing in that direction.

"It is extraordinary. But we will come through it. My opinion of what has happened has not changed in 16 weeks. We know our facts, we know what we did. It does not bear any resemblance to this wild speculation."

Tal & Qual's front page headline read: "Police Believe Parents Killed Madeleine." The paper claimed: "The use of drugs could have been fatal. The analysis, which is late arriving, should confirm suspicions."

Journalist Catarina Vaz Guerreiro wrote: "The hypothesis of the little girl dying from excess of drugs is not to be pushed aside. It remains plausible that Madeleine received her dose which the parents believed to be inoffensive and which turned out to be fatal."

Another newspaper said police had found traces of blood inside the McCanns' Renault hire car.

Both papers said senior police officers had supplied the information.

Gerry said he was horrified at the increasing number of so-called leaks from Portuguese officers in a country that prides itself on keeping investigation details secret.

He added: "I am disappointed so much information is in the public domain in a country that supposedly has judicial secrecy. There have been whispers. There's either judicial secrecy or there's not."

Tal & Qual reporter Ms Guerreiro yesterday defended her story, adding: "I can't reveal my source but I have complete trust in them. It is someone close to the investigation.

"It is not my personal opinion. In fact, I want to believe it is all a mistake and the parents are innocent."
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:56 pm

Maddy: It's over
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz27/08/2007
Gerry McCann (DM)
Related Articles
Maddy mum tells of agony
More Top Stories
edinburgh interntional tv festival, gerry mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)The father of Madeleine McCann has lost faith in the Portuguese police investigation to find his missing daughter and plans to wind down the media campaign.

Gerry McCann also hinted that he and his wife Kate, 39, were preparing to take the decision finally to return to Britain with their twins.

Gerry, who speaks regularly to detectives, said police seem to be no closer to solving the crime.

He has grown frustrated at the slow pace of the investigation and the lack of information being passed to him.

Advertisement
He said: "We just want to get to the bottom of things, find Madeleine, but obviously, there is no sign of a breakthrough.

"The only way I'll be happy is when Madeleine is found. It's an ongoing trauma." He added that the investigative procedures and style of the Portuguese police made it "very hard" for he and Kate.

"The Portuguese police do things very, very quietly," he said. "They like to do things quietly and not for people to know.

"The way the investigation is being handled is very different to the UK where the police like to give out information."

Gerry, 39, hinted at the frustrations on his internet blog. He wrote: "Unfortunately we have to add patience to our other characteristics."

The couple, from Rothley, Leics, were also angered when police said they believed Madeleine could be dead without informing them first.

It is now 116 days since Madeleine was snatched from her parents' holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.

British ex-pat Robert Murat remains the only suspect in the case, but there is speculation he is going to be cleared.

Speaking at the Edinburgh TV festival at the weekend, Gerry explained why he wanted to wind down the publicity campaign and said they could return home soon.

He added: "I do not feel that it is necessary to have Madeleine's image on the news constantly.

"We cannot sustain that level of interest and Kate and I want to withdraw from the campaign. After the first few weeks, we fully expected the media attention to die down but this has just not happened."

He went on: "It is difficult to explain why Madeleine's disappearance generated so much media coverage."

Gerry also sent his sympathy to the family of murdered Liverpool schoolboy Rhys Jones.

He said: "It is a terrible waste of a young life."

He added that both he and Kate and the parents of Rhys "are in the middle of terrible traumas".
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Gerry McCann storms out of TV interview
By Mirror.co.uk28/08/2007
Related Articles
Maddy mum tells of agony
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, madeleine, madeleine mccann, mccann, portugal, praia da luz

(What's this?)Frustrated Gerry McCann snapped and walked out of an interview for Spanish TV today, showing for the first time the incredible strain he has been under since Madeleine's disappearance.

Mr McCann and his wife Kate agreed to give an interview to Spain's Telecino channel. The couple still think missing Maddy could be in Spain.

But, after some general questions, presenter Jordi Gonzalez asked directly about the blood found in their holiday villa and said bluntly: "You were the last people to see Madeleine alive, is that correct?"

Mr McCann repeated once again that he couldn't talk about matters under investigation by the Portuguese police and stormed out of the room, ripping his microphone from off his shirt.

Advertisement
Visibly upset, Kate apologised and told the interviewer: "He is upset, give him a minute, he is going to get some air.

"It is the pressure, don't worry. It's very frustrating. The whole world asks about the investigation and we cannot talk about it. Everything we read in the press is

It is now 117 days since Madeleine vanished from her bed in the Mark Warner complex in the Algarve while her parents ate with friends at a nearby restaurant.

In recent weeks the McCanns have suffered a barrage of hurtful and outrageous allegations in the Portuguese media suggesting they may have killed their daughter accidentally and been covering up ever since.

Under Portugal's strict "secrecy of justice" laws, the McCanns have been unable to hit back because they are not allowed to comment on the ongoing investigation.

The McCanns' spokeswoman, Justine McGuiness, said: "It was a long interview in a very hot room. Gerry was asked a series of questions about the investigation despite the fact that all the journalists had been told that the McCanns cannot answer questions about the investigation.

"They are not allowed to talk under Portuguese law.

"Gerry went outside, then came back in and apologised, and everything was absolutely fine afterwards."

She added: "It has been three and a half months now, and they have been amazingly patient."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Gerry walks out over Spanish host's grilling
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz29/08/2007
Gerry and Kate McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Maddy mum tells of agony
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, jordi gonzalez, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, telecinco

(What's this?)Madeleine McCann's dad rips off his mic and storms out of a TV broadcast after an interviewer quizzes him over details about the child's disappearance.

Gerry McCann was talking to the Spanish show when the mood started to become increasingly confrontational.

He repeatedly said he was not allowed to discuss the police probe into the snatched four-year-old. But interviewer Jordi Gonzalez persisted - forcing the infuriated father to snap.

Gerry fumed: "Do you know what? This is all investigation. We cannot talk about the investigation. You have to talk to the police."

Advertisement
After tearing off his mic, he confronted the crew from Spanish channel Telecinco before leaving the room.

Wife Kate, who looked on in disbelief during the fiery outburst, said: "It's just pressure, don't worry. It's difficult for him when we're asked about the investigation as we can't talk about it.

"It's very frustrating, there is so much written that's inaccurate and not true. It's awful what's written."

As the programme cut to a studio discussion, the host asked a commentator: "Do you think it is remorse which made Gerry leave?"

Kate continued the interview alone for a few minutes before Gerry regained his composure and returned. He told Mr Gonzalez: "I made it very clear that you cannot ask questions about the investigation. Ask the police."

The interview, filmed at the McCanns' villa on the outskirts of Praia da Luz in Portugal, was aired on Telecinco's popular Saturday night show La Noria.

Gerry had become agitated when asked if he was the last person to see Madeleine alive.

But Mr Gonzalez tipped him over the edge when he inquired: "The investigation took a new turn when traces of blood were found in the room. When you heard, how did you react?"

The front page of Portuguese newspaper 24 Horas carried the headline, Maddy's dad blows his top on TV.

Last night the bust-up descended into a war of words.

Justine McGuinness, the McCanns' spokeswoman, said: "They were told categorically they could not ask questions about the investigation as it would break Portuguese law."

But Telecinco said: "We told Justine our questions before the interview. She did not say that we couldn't ask them."

Ms McGuinness also rubbished rumours Kate and Gerry's marriage was on the rocks, saying: "They are very happy". It is now 116 days since Madeleine was snatched from the apartment in Praia da Luz.

Pupils at the school where she was due to start tomorrow will say a special prayer for her. A desk and locker have been saved for her at Bishop Ellis Catholic school in Thurmaston, Leics.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 am

Martin Fricker In Praia Da Luz 1/09/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann
Related Articles
Family: Maddy claims are 'ludicrous'
Locals jeer McCanns
Maddy parents are police suspects
Maddy: The possibilities
McCanns targeted by media
More Top Stories
kate and gerry mccann, madeleine mccann

(What's this?)Madeleine McCann's furious parents are suing a newspaper that claimed they killed her.

Kate and Gerry McCann yesterday launched a defamation case against the Portuguese paper, its director and a journalist.

And friends said the couple "will go all the way and take the witness stand to defend their reputations".

The story in Tal & Qual, headlined: "Police believe parents killed Maddie", claimed they gave the four-year-old an accidental overdose of sedatives and disposed of her body.

Advertisement
It claimed: "The analysis, which is late arriving, should confirm suspicions."

The couple spent a week talking to lawyers in Lisbon before suing the paper and reporter Catarina Vaz Guerreiro.

Gerry, 39, said: "We have tried to ignore some of the more ludicrous speculation but we simply could not ignore this.

"It was defamatory and published despite official statements to the contrary ... police have said time and time again we are not suspects."

But Emidio Fernando, director of Tal & Qual said: "I'm completely tranquil with any possible lawsuit. I trust in my sources about that."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 am

Maddy mum tells of agony
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz3/09/2007
Kate McCann (DM)
Related Articles
'Best thing for McCanns is for them to be charged'
40 questions they both 'refused to answer'
Police to get new British tests in days
Prosecutor to consider case against McCanns
Why cops think she was not abducted
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Kate McCann has told how each day she and husband Gerry wake up and say: "Today could be the day Madeleine comes home."

She described the agony they have endured for the past four months since their world was shattered when their daughter disappeared from their holiday apartment in Portugal.

But despite the investigation seemingly at a dead end, Kate and Gerry, both 39, remain convinced that four-year-old Madeleine is still alive and that they will be reunited with her.

Gp Kate said: "It is four months since Madeleine was cruelly taken from her family. Four months since Gerry and I have heard our daughter laugh, seen her smile, read her a story, given her a cuddle.

Advertisement
"Four months of not knowing what our beautiful daughter has had to endure. Four months since that cold night when our world fell apart. I know many people think our daughter can't be alive. But nothing has changed our thoughts.

"We believe Madeleine was taken alive from her bed. We don't know who took her, why she was taken or where she is. As parents, we cannot give up on our daughter until we know what has happened. We have to keep doing everything we can to find her. As parents, we still believe she is alive.

"We have to keep hoping. We will leave no stone unturned to find our lovely little girl."

Consultant cardiologist Gerry said: "We would like to thank everyone who is praying for Madeleine and all those who have sent us messages of support. You do help to maintain our strength and focus."

In their home village of Rothley, Leics, locals re-created a chain of hope using yellow and green ribbons. It was first done by churchgoers in Praia da Luz shortly after Madeleine went missing.
To my critics
bjr

Previous

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations