Daily Mirror Articles

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Re: Daily Mirror Articles

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Maddy dad's cops fury
Friends in 'Keystone Cops' attack on Portuguese officers
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz13/08/2007
Gerry McCann (DM)
Related Articles
Cafe girl is named
New Maddy evidence leads to raids
'We've told the twins Madeleine is missing'
A peg for Maddy
McCanns' 20,000 cards of hope
More Top Stories
What are you talking about? Get published
News picturesRelated Tags
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Madeleine McCann's dad Gerry was "livid" yesterday after Portuguese police announced out of the blue they thought his adored daughter might be dead.

Gerry and wife Kate were appalled not to have been told the statement was to be made.

They were particularly distressed that it came on the 100th day of Madeleine's disappearance, feeling it overshadowed the sad milestone.

Their strained relationship with detectives has now completely broken down, sources say.

Advertisement
A family friend said: "Gerry is raging, livid, that nobody from the police had the decency to even pick up the phone and talk to him."

On Saturday, police spokesman Olegario Sousa said on TV: "There have been some developments, and clues have been found, that could point to the possible death of the little child."

Police said his extraordinary announcement was based on the discovery of blood inside the McCanns' apartment at Praia da Luz.

A second speck of blood was found on a curtain in Kate and Gerry's bedroom, unconfirmed reports said yesterday.

The sample has been sent with another for DNA testing at a British lab.

Friends of Kate and Gerry, both 39, said detectives will be left looking foolish if tests show the blood does not belong to Madeleine, four.

One said: "If it turns out that way, then Portuguese police are going to look like the Keystone Cops."

But a family spokeswoman said it was "heartening" that Sousa officially confirmed the McCanns were not suspects after a painful week of "hurtful" slurs in the Portuguese press.

Writing on his internet blog, Gerry said: "We've always been told that the police had an open mind about Madeleine's abduction.

"If the current police activity does uncover new evidence that Madeleine has been seriously harmed we should be the first to know."

Sousa's comments contradicted messages the McCanns have previously received from police.

Last week, Kate said she was told that investigators were "looking for a living child".

Further muddying the waters, Portugal's most senior police officer admitted last night that officers were "far from throwing light" on the case.

Alipio Ribeiro, national director of the Policia Judiciaria, said: "Despite the fact that new elements have appeared in the investigation we still do not know where they will lead us."

The McCanns are now set for a tense showdown at the police HQ in Portimao later this week.

At a similar meeting last week it was clear to the couple, from Rothley, Leics, that police relations towards them had cooled.

Instead of informal talks, GP Kate and heart consultant Gerry were interviewed separately at length. Sources said the questioning was so intense Kate broke down in tears.

The couple attended a Roman Catholic mass at the Our Lady of the Light church in Praia da Luz yesterday.

Kate strode into the church holding a Union Jack bag. Gerry clutched a bag full of yellow wristbands to give to worshippers.

In a video broadcast on YouTube, the McCanns appealed for tighter international laws on child abduction and abuse.

Calling for US-style policies to be introduced in Europe, Kate said: "In the States a police report has to be filed within two hours of a child being taken. The response time in Europe has to be quicker."
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Kate McCann's agony
By Martin Fricker13/08/2007
Kate McCann
Related Articles
Cafe girl is named
A peg for Maddy
McCanns' 20,000 cards of hope
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, robert murat

(What's this?)Kate McCann said yesterday she would rather know if daughter Madeleine was dead than live in the hell of uncertainty.

With Madeleine now missing 102 days, she said: "This is the worst kind of limbo.

"In our heart of hearts we'd both rather know - even if that means we have to face the terrible truth that Madeleine might be dead. But I can't prepare myself for bad news. I simply don't know how."

Anguished Kate, 39, spoke out the day after Portuguese police said for the first time there were indications that Madeleine, four, may no longer be alive.

Advertisement
Dad Gerry, 39, said that if their daughter was dead he was comforted by the belief she was in a "better place".

In a revealing interview Kate, also mum of two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie, told of the agony of continuing with everyday life while Madeleine's fate remained unknown.

She said: "Until you're in that situation, you can't even begin to imagine what it is that gets you out of bed. You just have to go on. And it doesn't take the guilt away.

"Whenever I laugh with the twins or eat something nice, it's there in the back of my mind - Madeleine would love this.

"I suppose I'm really just going through the motions of life, hoping every night I go to bed this will be the last day I'll have to get through without her."

Kate again defended the couple's decision to leave their children alone on the fateful night Madeleine was plucked from the family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.

She told Woman's Own magazine: "I ask myself 'Why did I think it was safe?' But it felt safe. You don't expect a predator to break in and take your daughter.

"I always had this little prayer I'd say at night - 'Please keep them safe, healthy and happy'. But safe in my head was about the children falling over or getting hit by a car.

"I never worried someone would watch us, break in and then take our daughter away. Why would I?"

Kate even joked that Madeleine is probably giving her kidnapper a taste of her forceful character.

She said: "Madeleine is such a sociable child, so funny and engaging.

"She has a lot of personality. Her name actually means 'tower of strength'.

"She hated it when we called her Maddie. She'd say 'My name is Madeleine' with an indignant look.

"I bet she's giving whoever she's with her tuppence worth."

Kate continually clasps Madeleine's toy Cuddle Cat as a precious link.

But she said: "In a way I wish they'd taken it with her. It would be a comfort to know Madeleine had something she loved, wherever she is."

Asked if the heartbroken couple could ever forgive the kidnapper, devout Catholic Gerry said: "We don't know who's taken her, why they've taken her and what's happened to her. So it's very difficult to forgive in advance.

"We've had incredible pain over the last three months - and we pray that Madeleine hasn't."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:33 pm

McCann pals lash sea claim
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz14/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Ken Bigley's brother gives comfort to McCanns
Cafe girl is named
A peg for Maddy
More Top Stories

(What's this?)Wild claims that Madeleine McCann was killed and her body dumped in the sea ratcheted up her parents' enduring agony yesterday.

Unconfirmed reports said the corpse of Madeleine, four, may have been thrown from cliffs in a bin bag weighted with rocks.

A police insider said: "We know what happened to her. But we don't know why she died, whether it was accident or murder."

But a source close to Gerry and Kate McCann said the claims only increased their distress. The friend said: "This is sickening.

Advertisement
"They've had to cope with these reports for weeks now. They don't know where they're coming from, whether from police or another source. Either way, it's very hurtful.

"They just want to be kept informed of developments and are trying to remain positive.

"But that optimism is tested every time another rumour of Madeleine's death appears.

"Until there's concrete proof either way, they'll continue to hope for the best."

The latest theory comes amid mounting speculation that Madeleine, kidnapped from her holiday apartment in Praia da Luz 103 days ago, is dead.

Respected Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias said that police have an idea of what happened at the beginning and end of Madeleine's abduction.

But they still do not know who took her.

It said detectives are confident that "sooner or later" Madeleine's body will either be washed up or caught in fishing nets.

Police are now said to be ready to begin fresh searches of the coastline.

Last week detectives met a professor of oceanography to discuss tide patterns.

It was suggested they were trying to work out where along the coastline a body might wash up. Witnesses have previously reported seeing a man carrying a small child heading towards the ocean soon after Madeleine disappeared.

Portugal's Maritime Police searched a series of coastline caves accessible only by canoe or kayak. Sniffer dogs also followed a suspect trail, only to lose the scent.

Volunteers helped in the searches which were eventually called off when no sign of Madeleine was discovered.

It was also claimed yesterday that friends who joined the McCanns on holiday could be interviewed again in the next few weeks.

Police will not request their return to Portugal until results of DNA tests on blood found at the McCanns' apartment are known.

British sniffer dogs found one speck of blood halfway up a wall in a bedroom of the Ocean Club apartment last week. It was only visible when an ultra-violet light was shone on the wall.

Another speck was found on a curtain in a bedroom used by Kate and Gerry, both 39, of Rothley, Leics.

The samples were sent with other evidence to a forensic lab in Birmingham.

Bbc head of TV News Peter Horrocks has accused rival ITN of "treating rumour of being newsworthy" in its coverage of a claimed sighting of Madeleine in Belgium.

Itv news chief David Mannion said his comments were "little more than an excuse for missing the story".
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Bungling cops point finger at Brits
By Martin Fricker14/08/2007
Related Articles
Cafe girl is named
A peg for Maddy
More Top Stories
charlotte gorrod, james gorrod, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)A British family yesterday spoke of their shock at being wrongly linked by Portuguese police to Madeleine's disappearance.

James and Charlotte Gorrod, both 32, were stunned to find themselves under suspicious after returning a hire car to Faro airport with a child seat in the back two days after Maddy vanished.

Car rental staff did not see the Gorrods' two-year-son William and wondered why they had a baby seat. The Gorrods had holidayed in Praia da Luz at the same time as the McGanns and know Dr Russell O'Brien and his partner Jane Tanner who were with them.

Mrs Gorrod said: "We were happy to talk to the police but they did not approach us.

Advertisement
We know what is being said now and it is ridiculous. The car has been checked out and there is no problem."

Portuguese police never bothered to interview the Gorrods or seize the Opel Corsa, later found at Lisbon airport.

It is now awaiting forensic tests. Scotland Yard quizzed Mr Gorrod and cleared him of any involvement.

Mrs Gorrod, speaking from home in Exeter, Devon, said: "Horrible things have been said about us and our friends but none are true."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Bungling cops point finger at Brits
By Martin Fricker14/08/2007
Related Articles
Cafe girl is named
A peg for Maddy
More Top Stories
charlotte gorrod, james gorrod, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)A British family yesterday spoke of their shock at being wrongly linked by Portuguese police to Madeleine's disappearance.

James and Charlotte Gorrod, both 32, were stunned to find themselves under suspicious after returning a hire car to Faro airport with a child seat in the back two days after Maddy vanished.

Car rental staff did not see the Gorrods' two-year-son William and wondered why they had a baby seat. The Gorrods had holidayed in Praia da Luz at the same time as the McGanns and know Dr Russell O'Brien and his partner Jane Tanner who were with them.

Mrs Gorrod said: "We were happy to talk to the police but they did not approach us.

Advertisement
We know what is being said now and it is ridiculous. The car has been checked out and there is no problem."

Portuguese police never bothered to interview the Gorrods or seize the Opel Corsa, later found at Lisbon airport.

It is now awaiting forensic tests. Scotland Yard quizzed Mr Gorrod and cleared him of any involvement.

Mrs Gorrod, speaking from home in Exeter, Devon, said: "Horrible things have been said about us and our friends but none are true."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:42 pm

McCanns' police plea
Frustrated McCanns' police plea
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz15/08/2007
Gerry and Kate McCann (PA)
Related Articles
McCanns told: Don't go home
Cafe girl is named
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Madeleine McCann's parents have demanded showdown talks with detectives leading the hunt for their missing daughter.

Kate and Gerry McCann are furious at the lack of information being given to them by Portuguese police.

And they fear detectives said they believe the four-year-old might be dead only because the 14-week investigation has hit a brick wall.

The couple were upset when police told the media - before telling them.

Advertisement
On Monday representatives for Kate, 38, and Gerry, 39, contacted police asking for a meeting with senior officers.

But they were told the meeting would not take place until the results of DNA tests on specks of blood found in the McCanns' holiday apartment are known.

They are expected back in next few days and will reveal if the blood belongs to Madeleine or somebody else. The entire case has now been put on hold while scientists in the UK test the blood.

The sudden halt in the investigation has left the McCanns, from Rothley, Leics, frustrated. Writing on his internet blog yesterday Gerry hinted at how the couple are feeling.

Talking about the police investigation, he said: "Unfortunately we have to add patience to our other characteristics."

A family friend said yesterday: "They have had enough of all this rumour and speculation. They want to speak to detectives as soon as possible to try and establish fact from fiction. Like all of us they want to see the investigation moving forward and at the moment that doesn't seem to be the case. There is talk of new leads but nobody seems to know what these are. It has left them confused."

The Daily Mirror revealed earlier this week that relations between the couple and Portuguese police have completely broken down.

The McCanns were upset when police spokesman spokesman Olegario Sousa chose to make the announcement that Madeleine might be dead on the 100th day since she disappeared.

Mr Sousa - the public face of the police investigation - defended his actions, saying he was only following orders from senior officers.

Also the latest unconfirmed reports that Madeleine was killed and her body dumped in the sea has racheted up the couple's agony. It is now 104 days since Madeleine was snatched from their apartment in Praia da Luz on May 3.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 pm

'We could be coming home without Maddy'
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz16/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Spanish police probe 'Madeleine sighting'
Madeleine cops: 'She died by accident in flat'
Cafe girl is named
More Top Stories

(What's this?)Kate McCann has hinted for the first time she may leave Portugal without her missing daughter Madeleine.

Kate, 39, spoke as forensic tests revealed that blood found in the McCanns' holiday flat did NOT come from Madeleine.

The mum - who has repeatedly said she could never return home without her daughter, four - admitted: "We know we will be going back and I guess one day we will wake up and it will be right. We never thought that we would go before she came back. Now we just don't know."

Tests on the four specks of blood, found on a bedroom wall in the flat, are understood to have shown they came from a white man from "northeast Europe".

Advertisement
It is thought the man probably injured himself while staying in the flat when it was reopened to tourists five weeks after Madeleine's disappearance on May 3.

The news will give fresh hope to Kate and husband Gerry who have always maintained their little girl is still alive.

But Portugal police spokesman Olegario Sousa said: "It is not just these traces of blood which allow us to give strength to the theory that the child is dead. We have more evidence to back this up."

Whatever the truth, Kate is facing up to the agonising decision that she may have to go home without her daughter. She said: "We have the twins to consider. I can't imagine how we came out as a family of five and are going back as a four."

Kate has never stayed away from the Algarve for more than two days.

When she did return to the UK last month - for a family christening - she told friends she could not wait to return to Portugal where she felt closer to Madeleine.

Heart specialist Gerry agreed the family will have to leave. He said: "The decision to go home will come at some point when we are ready and it will be for the right reasons."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:48 pm

'Madeleine has gone missing. Mummy and Daddy are looking for her..'
Martin Fricker In Praia Da Luz 18/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann
Related Articles
McCanns' overdose smear fury
Their bravery and dignity give us all hope
McCanns fury at TV girl
More Top Stories
amelie, gerry mccann, kate mccann, madeleine mccann, sean

(What's this?)Kate and Gerry McCann have told their two-year-old twins for the first time that big sister Madeleine has vanished.

Taking little Sean and Amelie aside, Kate gently broke the news: "Madeleine has gone missing. Mummy and daddy are looking for her."

The children, who for weeks have been fed the story that Madeleine is away on a "trip", now understand she is lost and that mum and dad are desperately worried.

But in their innocence they still play happily as their parents try to make home life as normal as possible.

Advertisement
As the hunt for Madeleine entered its 106th day, friends disclosed yesterday that Kate and Gerry thought "long and hard" before deciding to come clean.

One said: "They took advice from child and trauma experts on how to approach such a delicate issue and what to say.

"At the start, they told the children that Madeleine was on a little holiday.

"But, as time has gone on, they've changed the language they use. It wasn't an easy thing. The last thing they want is to upset them.

"It's very difficult trying to explain to a two-year-old what has happened, especially when it's your big sister who's missing.

"The twins understand it's more serious than a missing toy. They realise their sister has disappeared and they miss her."

Sean and Amelie hero-worshipped four-year-old Madeleine who, in turn, "absolutely adored" them. The friend added: "They had a really good relationship.

"The twins were so excited when they came on the holiday because they were sleeping in the same room as Madeleine. Every night they were thrilled about going to bed."

Since telling Sean and Amelie the truth, Kate and Gerry have strived to make life as routine as possible for them.

Heart specialist Gerry, 39, of Rothley, Leics, said: "Child psychologists say it's very important for their coping. They're happy but they know that Madeleine isn't here."

Kate said: "The kids are very happy. The two of them play together all the time.

"But when we all wake in the morning it's another reminder that Madeleine isn't there. Sean and Amelie may have crept into the bed next to us. I say a quick prayer."

In a new development, a British expat has come forward with dramatic new evidence.

Pamela Fenn said a man broke into her flat above the McCanns' holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, on the Algarve, just weeks before Madeleine disappeared.

There was no sign of a break-in and it is thought the intruder may have had a key.

Mrs Fenn, who is in her 70s, found the man scrambling out of the window and tried to grab his ankle. But he escaped.

She reported the incident to Portuguese police but they did not question her again.

The information only resurfaced after British police reviewed the case two weeks ago. Mrs Fenn will now be formally interviewed for the first time on Monday.

Mrs Fenn's niece has said she spotted a suspicious man near the McCanns' apartment around the time Madeleine disappeared.

She said he matched the description of a suspect seen by one of the McCanns' friends.

Evidence taken from the McCanns' hire car is reportedly being analysed in the UK.

The couple only rented the car five weeks after Madeleine vanished. Police said they have "never, ever" been suspects.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Kate McCann
Fiona Phillips 18/08/2007
Related Articles
More Fiona
News picturesMost heartbreaking quote of the week? Kate McCann (below) coming to the realisation that she may have to leave Portugal without Madeleine: "I can't imagine how we came out as a family of five and are going back as a four."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:50 pm

Cafe girl is named
By Louise Male20/08/2007
Related Articles
Maddy: It's over
McCanns fury at TV girl
More Top Stories
ed hofstede, madeleine mccann, sjanneke

(What's this?)The little girl who was mistakenly identified as Madeleine McCann has been named.

A child therapist phoned police on July 28 after spotting the youngster at a roadside cafe in Tongeren, Belgium. She was "100 per cent sure" it was Madeleine.

The woman said the girl was with a "suspicious" couple who disappeared as she made the call. Belgium went on alert as a photofit of a man was issued.

The girl she saw has now been confirmed by police as four-year-old Sjanneke, the daughter of Ed Hofstede, from Hoogstraten.

Advertisement
Ed said: "I have seen a photo of Madeleine on the Internet and can see the resemblance."

Detectives took away a drink bottle used by the girl, but the sample returned did not match the DNA of Madeleine.

Tongeren policeman Guy Duchateau explained: "The little girl appeared a bit confused in the cafe as it was the first time she had seen her father's new girlfriend."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:50 pm

Maddy cops' new raids after 'significant' advance All police across region ordered to be at the ready
Martin Fricker In Praia Da Luz Martin.Fricker@Mirror.Co.Uk20/08/2007
Kate McCann (DM)
Related Articles
McCanns fury at TV girl
More Top Stories
kate mccann, lisbon, madeleine mccann, new evidence, praia da luz, robert murat

(What's this?)Detectives in the hunt for Madeleine McCann were last night preparing to launch a series of fresh raids following a "significant" new development.

The dramatic move comes after new evidence was unearthed in the 15-week-long inquiry.

The Public Prosecutor's Office in Portuguese capital Lisbon has signed a clutch of new search warrants and every detective in the Algarve region has been put on standby.

Portuguese investigators were last night remaining resolutely tight-lipped on the nature of the new clues and developments in the case.

Advertisement
However, a source confirmed yesterday: "Everyone has been sworn to secrecy and the full facts are not known, but there has been progress.

"All detectives in the region have been told to be ready to go and there are searches planned. It is a new operation."

The search permits, covering locations in Praia da Luz, were signed on Friday and expire tomorrow night.

But officers can ask magistrates for an extension if they believe their investigation warrants it.

They will today re-interview staff at Praia da Luz's Ocean Club resort, where Madeleine, four, and parents Kate and Gerry were staying. They will also speak again to key witnesses such as Pamela Fenn, 73, who lives above the McCanns' apartment and caught a prowler in her flat a few weeks before Madeleine was snatched on May 3.

In a separate development, a Portuguese newspaper has claimed detectives have a new British suspect, said to have been under surveillance for weeks.

Correio de Manha reported that police are set to issue an arrest warrant for the man, who lives in the UK. Neither Portuguese nor British forces would comment.

Robert Murat, 33, remains the sole official suspect, although he denies involvement.

Investigators are still awaiting DNA test results on specks of blood found inside the McCanns' flat. The evidence is being analysed at a Birmingham lab and the findings should be known by the end of this week.

Meanwhile, Kate - clutching Madeleine's favourite Cuddle Cat toy - attended mass in Praia da Luz yesterday, where she was again warmly welcomed by worshippers.

One woman spent more than five minutes chatting to her. Gerry was away collecting friends from nearby Faro airport.

The couple, both 39, are thought to be planning to end their heartbreaking sojourn in Portugal next month.

They are said to be desperate for their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie to return to some semblance of normal life at home in Rothley, Leics.

The two doctors are also feeling the financial pinch of living in Portugal for nearly five months. Although the Find Madeleine fund has raised more than £1million, the couple refuse to dip into it to cover living expenses and use it only for campaign-related expenses.

Fund director Esther McVey confirmed the McCanns had asked for nothing to meet personal costs.

She said: "What has been asked for has been the website and various other expenses to do with finding Madeleine.

"Everything is totally scrutinised because we know it could be a long-term search for Madeleine. We're just trying to make the money go as far as possible."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:52 pm

Cops' plea to Maddy parents as hunt takes new turn
Martin Fricker In Praia Da Luz22/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Maddy father cracks on TV
Gerry McCann storms out of TV interview
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, olegario sousa, praia da luz

(What's this?)More than one person is likely to have kidnapped Madeleine McCann, police announced yesterday.

Their belief emerged as Kate and Gerry McCann were warned not to leave Portugal amid hopes of a dramatic and imminent breakthrough in the 15-week hunt.

Police spokesman Olegario Sousa said: "It's natural that in a crime of this nature more than one person took part.

"If it was committed by one person, it would be more difficult to resolve the case because only he or she knows what they did."

Advertisement
He said police decided more than a month ago that Madeleine, four, was probably dead.

But he added: "We don't have a final view of what happened." Mr Sousa also rubbished reports that police already know who killed Madeleine.

He said: "Do you think if we had the name we'd be waiting to arrest them?"

Police urged Kate and Gerry, both 39, to stay in Praia da Luz after learning that they were considering returning to the UK next month.

A source revealed: "There could be developments and it's right they're in the country. An officer was careful to tell them it would be a bad time to leave.

"They've only been told the investigation has changed."

Earlier this week police leave was cancelled and search warrants were issued.

More than one person is likely to have kidnapped Madeleine McCann, police announced yesterday.

Their belief emerged as Kate and Gerry McCann were warned not to leave Portugal amid hopes of a dramatic and imminent breakthrough in the 15-week hunt.

Police spokesman Olegario Sousa said: "It's natural that in a crime of this nature more than one person took part.

"If it was committed by one person, it would be more difficult to resolve the case because only he or she knows what they did."

He said police decided more than a month ago that Madeleine, four, was probably dead.

But he added: "We don't have a final view of what happened." Mr Sousa also rubbished reports that police already know who killed Madeleine.

He said: "Do you think if we had the name we'd be waiting to arrest them?"

Police urged Kate and Gerry, both 39, to stay in Praia da Luz after learning that they were considering returning to the UK next month.

A source revealed: "There could be developments and it's right they're in the country. An officer was careful to tell them it would be a bad time to leave.

"They've only been told the investigation has changed."

Earlier this week police leave was cancelled and search warrants were issued.

The source reaffirmed that there was "absolutely no suggestion" that the McCanns, from Rothley, Leics, are suspects.

Detectives are awaiting results of DNA tests on samples from the McCann holiday flat.

Heart specialist Gerry is still expected to appear at a media event in Edinburgh on Friday.

A McCann friend yesterday angrily denied involvement in Madeleine's disappearance.

Portuguese reports claimed police were poised to arrest Dr Russell O'Brien who was with the family on holiday.

But Dr O'Brien, of Exeter, said: "I'll robustly defend my reputation." Gerry said: "We trust our friends."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:53 pm

Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz23/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann (DM)
Related Articles
Maddy dad in last-ditch appeal
More Top Stories
dna tests, gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Senior detectives have told prosecutors they believe Madeleine McCann was killed accidentally in her holiday flat.

The three Portuguese officers leading the investigation made the revelation at a meeting this week - and claimed to have evidence that supports their theory.

A source said: "They said they think Madeleine is dead and it happened in the flat. But they don't think she was killed on purpose. It's the first time they have said this.

"All they would say is they have evidence her death was accidental. Nobody knows what the evidence is."

Advertisement
The detectives - Guilhermino Encarnacao, Goncalo Amaral and Luis Neves - admitted that there are still a number of potential theories about the missing four-year-old that are being considered.

But they said they did not believe she was deliberately murdered.

The source added: "At the moment they are leaning towards it being a tragic accident."

There are also said to be simmering tensions between Portuguese and British police over the handling of the case.

The Portuguese are furious at the time it is taking to get crucial DNA results on blood found in the Praia da Luz flat from the British laboratory where they are being tested.

But British detectives pointed out the evidence was only uncovered because of a UKled review of the investigation into Madeleine's disappearance on May 3.

It is believed police are waiting for the results of the tests before they make their next move.

Despite the revelation by detectives, Gerry McCann yesterday said he believed his daughter is still alive and could be in Spain.

He told a Spanish newspaper: "There is a very real possibility that Madeleine is alive and we want the police to look for her.

"The possibility that Madeleine is alive and in Spain is real. The border between the two countries is very big. If someone had a car, it is clear they could cross into Spain. There is no border guard and no one closed the border the night Madeleine disappeared."

But he also admitted: "We've done a lot of research into missing children and we realise the percentage of minors who reappear is very small."

As we revealed yesterday, Gerry and wife Kate have put their plans to return home on hold. Police asked them not to leave in mid-September as planned in case there are developments in the investigation.

And yesterday Kate, a locum GP from Rothley, Leics, said: "We have still not decided to go home. Emotionally, it's very difficult to return without Madeleine."

Kate and Gerry, a consultant heart specialist, yesterday posed for pictures outside the flat where Madeleine was last seen 112 days ago as they backed a campaign for a Europe-wide sex offenders' register.

He said: "A number of areas in European law may be improved to help prevent child abuse and track those responsible for such crimes.

"Kate and I would like to encourage further debate on how Europe can best manage serious crimes such as child abduction."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:53 pm

By Mirror.co.uk23/08/2007
Related Articles
More Top Stories
madeleine mccann

(What's this?)Police are investigating a reported sighting of Madeleine McCann in the city of Cartagena in south-eastern Spain.

Two women told police there they saw the missing four-year-old with a man on Monday at a petrol station, a spokesman for the Interior Ministry said.

The women told police that at one point the man seemed to feel he was being watched and quickly put the girl into a car, the spokesman said. National Police and Civil Guard agents are searching the area, he said.

There have been reported sightings of Madeleine in several European countries of Europe but none have led to a break in the case.

Advertisement
It is now 112 days since she vanished from her bed in the Portuguese Algarve resort of Praia da Luz while her parents, Kate and Gerry, ate with friends in a nearby tapas restaurant.

Numerous sightings of Madeleine have been reported across Europe and North Africa, including in Belgium, Malta and Morocco.

The McCanns, from Rothley, Leicestershire, raised the possibility yesterday that she could be alive and being held in Spain.

Praia da Luz is only a few miles from both the port of Lagos and the main east-west motorway linking southern Spain and Portugal.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:54 pm

McCanns fury at TV girl
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz24/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann (DM)
Related Articles
Madeleine school's prayers
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, rtp, sandra felgueiras

(What's this?)Madeleine McCann's parents are threatening to sue a TV reporter over claims about her kidnapping, it emerged last night.

Sandra Felgueiras is alleged to have accused them of being involved in the disappearance on Portuguese TV.

The glamorous RTP presenter, 30, suggested mum Kate could even have killed her daughter, it is claimed.

A friend said: "Felgueiras was really outrageous in the run-up to the 100 days since Madeleine went missing."

Advertisement
The row came as Gerry McCann publicly disagreed with Portuguese police for the first time over their theory that Madeleine, four, died in their holiday apartment 113 days ago.

He believes she was taken to Spain and officers there were investigating a fresh possible sighting yesterday.

Gerry and Kate, both 39, are furious about alleged claims over their daughter's disappearance and sources close to them insisted the doctors are prepared to go to court to protect their reputation. They have requested a tape of presenter Ms Felgueiras's comments.

But Ms Felgueiras said: "I never insinuated anything like that.

"I just said the police were now trying to find out the possibility that Madeleine McCann died in the holiday apartment. If the McCanns presume it is an accusation against them, then that is their assumption, not mine."

The couple, of Rothley, Leics, are waiting to hear from Spanish police after a possible sighting of Madeleine near Cartagena on Tuesday. Witnesses said a man shoved a little girl into a green Citroen ZX hatchback at a service station. One said: "The well-built man was holding the girl by the hand.

"But when he saw us watching him he picked her up by her head, pushed her into the seat to hide her and sped off as fast as he could."

Gerry believes Madeleine was taken across the border. He said: "She was moved. There's been an extensive search in Praia da Luz with no evidence of finding her and it's 90 minutes' drive from the Spanish border. She could easily have been moved to Spain."
To my critics
bjr

PreviousNext

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations