Daily Mirror Articles

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Re: Daily Mirror Articles

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 pm

Sniping at McCanns so unfair
Tony Parsons30/07/2007
Related Articles
More Tony Parsons
News picturesOn August 11 it will be 100 days since the abduction of Madeleine McCann.

Inevitably, the missing little girl has slipped from the headlines. Depressingly, over the last three months the attitude towards her parents has soured.

Gerry McCann was on the Good Morning America TV show last week, being treated with a disdain that would once have been unthinkable.

"It's tough to understand why you and your wife came to leave your children to go to dinner," said the show's anchor Chris Cuomo. "No American parent would leave their kids in that way."

Advertisement
A complete anchor? You certainly are, Chris.

When Madeleine was stolen, we were initially told that "we all do it" - meaning leave our kids alone while we go out for dinner. That wasn't true but it is equally false to state "no American parent would leave their kids in that way".

No doubt the McCanns are beyond caring what the spiteful and snide think about them. They just want their girl back.

But even those of us who have nothing but sympathy for the McCanns have to ask - do they really need ever more publicity?

There have been broadcasts asking for information about Madeleine from Brits as varied as David Beckham and JK Rowling. There is a theory that all this publicity is counter-productive.

"If Madeleine is in captivity, a high-profile campaign could make her position even worse," says Ray Wyre, an expert on paedophilia who advised police on the Fred and Rose West murders.

"Her captor may feel it necessary to shut her away for longer periods to avoid being recognised."

The McCanns have done everything they can and who can blame them. In the absence of a body, they cling to the hope that Madeleine is alive and that even now it is possible to bring her home.

They do not need some idiot to remind them that they left their daughter alone while they had dinner. There will not be one day in their lives when they will not bitterly regret it.

On the internet, that safe house for poisonous minds, there is cynical talk about the Madeleine fund currently standing at just under a million pounds. How quickly cheap, easy sentiment turns to seething resentment.

When Madeleine has been missing for 100 days, perhaps the time has come to leave her parents alone and remember that they have lost a beloved daughter, not won the lottery.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:07 pm

'Cracker' team join hunt for Madeleine
Brit experts review evidence
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz31/07/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
10 police blunders in McCann case
Is it Maddy's blood?
DNA test on 'Maddy' milkshake
Maddy village's street party of hope
Madeleine mum's agony
More Top Stories
What are you talking about? Get published
News picturesRelated Tags
gerry mccann, kate mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, robert murat

(What's this?)Cracker-style criminal profilers have arrived in Portugal to aid the hunt for Madeleine McCann.

The British experts flew in at the weekend to take part in a detailed review of the 89-day investigation.

Once every shred of evidence has been picked over, they will use the data to draw up a profile of who snatched the four-year-old from her holiday flat in Praia da Luz.

A Portuguese police source, who believes the move could lead to a breakthrough, said: "After three months it's necessary to look back over the evidence.

Advertisement
"We're now going through all previous interviews, details, facts and clues, and trying to evaluate everything we have.

"We want to see if we've left anything out. The profilers are helping us."

At the moment the only suspect is British ex-pat Robert Murat, 33.

Locals say they saw a man resembling him outside the McCanns' flat on the night Madeleine was kidnapped.

Madeleine's parents Kate, 38, and Gerry, 39, will be kept fully informed.

Every British police force has been involved in the hunt for Madeleine, it was revealed yesterday.

They have taken more than 2,500 phone calls offering information and interviewed 490 British holidaymakers in Praia da Luz when Madeleine was snatched.

Mccann family spokeswoman Justine McGuinness said: "Kate and Gerry cannot thank the British police enough. Their support has been rock solid."

Kate and Gerry, of Rothley, Leics, are now alone in Portugal with their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie.

Madeleine's godparents Trisha Cameron, Gerry's sister, and her husband Sandy flew back to Scotland on Sunday.

They arrived in Portugal 48 hours after Madeleine vanished. Writing on his blog, heart consultant Gerry said: "They've been the silent face of the campaign to find Madeleine. I'm not sure how we'd have functioned without them."

The 100th day of Madeleine's disappearance will be marked by hundreds of pipers playing a March for Madeleine, composed by family friend Alasdair Gillies, at a festival in Glasgow on August 11.

Meanwhile, thousands of yellow ribbon tributes to Madeleine were removed from around a war memorial near the MCann's home. Her great aunt Janet Kennedy said: "It doesn't mean we're giving up hope."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:08 pm

Madeleine 'seen' in Belgium
Girl with Brit woman and Dutch man
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz3/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
McCanns: We won't be bullied out
Murat lawyer's attack on 'strange' behaviour of McCanns
Kate McCann: I am coping with the guilt
Vickery film plea
New doubt over Maddy drink DNA
More Top Stories
belgium, gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, tongeren

(What's this?)The hunt for missing Madeleine McCann dramatically switched to Belgium last night.

Police said there had been a "highly credible" sighting of the four-year-old with a couple in a restaurant.

A woman claimed to have seen a girl matching Madeleine's description in Tongeren on the Dutch border.

The witness said the youngster was with an English-speaking woman and a Dutch man. All three left the restaurant as soon as they noticed the woman's interest.

Advertisement
Detectives are taking Wednesday's sighting so seriously that they last night released an e-fit of the man.

A police spokesman said: "The witness told us that the little girl bore a striking resemblance to Madeleine and was behaving nervously. She said she got up to call us as soon as she saw the girl but when she returned to her table all three of them left.

"The woman is a credible witness and we're taking this very seriously."

The man was in his 40s, unshaven and spoke Flemish with a slight Dutch accent. The woman was about 25 and spoke with a southern English accent.

One police source said last night: "Several witnesses remember seeing the couple with the girl."

Police are looking for the couple's car - a black Volvo with Belgian number plates, starting with the letters VUV.

Last night, there were unconfirmed reports that the Volvo had later been spotted in Holland.

It is the second reported sighting of Madeleine in Belgium since she was snatched from her bed in Praia da Luz exactly three months ago.

In June, a Belgian couple claimed they saw the youngster with a couple in Liege. When they called out "Madeleine", the child turned to look at them.

Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry, were told of the latest sighting but their spokeswoman said it was too early for them to comment.

Last night Kate, 39, issued a new appeal. She said: "All we want is to be reunited with Madeleine and to be a happy family once again."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:09 pm

Madeleine 'seen' in Belgium
Girl with Brit woman and Dutch man
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz3/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Vickery film plea
More Top Stories
belgium, gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, tongeren

(What's this?)The hunt for missing Madeleine McCann dramatically switched to Belgium last night.

Police said there had been a "highly credible" sighting of the four-year-old with a couple in a restaurant.

A woman claimed to have seen a girl matching Madeleine's description in Tongeren on the Dutch border.

The witness said the youngster was with an English-speaking woman and a Dutch man. All three left the restaurant as soon as they noticed the woman's interest.

Advertisement
Detectives are taking Wednesday's sighting so seriously that they last night released an e-fit of the man.

A police spokesman said: "The witness told us that the little girl bore a striking resemblance to Madeleine and was behaving nervously. She said she got up to call us as soon as she saw the girl but when she returned to her table all three of them left.

"The woman is a credible witness and we're taking this very seriously."

The man was in his 40s, unshaven and spoke Flemish with a slight Dutch accent. The woman was about 25 and spoke with a southern English accent.

One police source said last night: "Several witnesses remember seeing the couple with the girl."

Police are looking for the couple's car - a black Volvo with Belgian number plates, starting with the letters VUV.

Last night, there were unconfirmed reports that the Volvo had later been spotted in Holland.

It is the second reported sighting of Madeleine in Belgium since she was snatched from her bed in Praia da Luz exactly three months ago.

In June, a Belgian couple claimed they saw the youngster with a couple in Liege. When they called out "Madeleine", the child turned to look at them.

Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry, were told of the latest sighting but their spokeswoman said it was too early for them to comment.

Last night Kate, 39, issued a new appeal. She said: "All we want is to be reunited with Madeleine and to be a happy family once again."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Madeleine mum's agony
Exclusive by Maggie Barry And Martin Fricker4/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann (Reuters)
Related Articles
Show us the proof
Vickery film plea
More Top Stories
kate mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Courageous Kate McCann has admitted to close family and friends that in her darkest moments she fears the worst for missing Madeleine.

Kate and husband Gerry will next week mark 100 days since the four-year-old vanished.

And in that time, all throughout their brave campaign to publicise Madeleine's plight, they have been resolute in their insistence she is still alive.

But Kate has told friends: "There are dark moments when I fear the worst and start panicking.

Advertisement
"But we have to remain hopeful. We love Madeleine very much and she knows that.

"I just can't contemplate walking back into the family home without Madeleine."

Gerry's elder sister Trish Cameron yesterday said that Kate and Gerry describe the moment when they are overcome with feelings of despair as "the wobbles".

Trish said: "They have their weaker moments at different times but basically they support each other as we supported them and they supported us. Gerry and Kate call them the wobbles.

"They'll say 'I'm having a wobbly day or a wobbly moment' and we would all know what they mean and help them cope.

"Gerry and I are pretty close and if he needed a good cry to get it out of his system, we would go to another room away from the children and just talk. And then I would leave him.

"You get these dark thoughts because you can't keep them out all the time but if they take hold they can pull you down." Trish's husband Sandy added: "If you let the dark thoughts take you over then you cease to function."

Nurse Trish, 47, and teacher Sandy, 46, rushed to Portugal to be at Kate and Gerry's side within hours of Madeleine's disappearance from an apartment in the resort of Praia da Luz on May 3.

They have been with the couple ever since - sharing all the hopes and disappointments in the weeks that followed.

Kate has told friends that the nightmare of Madeleine's abduction has made her bond with Gerry even stronger.

She said: "Our relationship is as strong as it has ever been.

"We never row and have an equal partnership. Gerry is focused and is a naturally optimistic person. But I find it much more difficult."

Kate, a GP from Rothley, Leics, constantly thinks about Madeleine and cannot cope with the thought of living a normal life without her. She told the friend: "I can't even begin to imagine enjoying myself.

"Members of the family have been out and tried to urge us on but I can't let go.

"I feel happier staying in in the evening thinking about Madeleine, rather than going out having fun.

"For the twins it has been a huge holiday but not for me."

Yesterday the McCanns travelled from Praia da Luz to the southern Spanish city of Huelva to put up posters of Madeleine and pray in the cathedral for her safe return.

A SURVEY says almost one in 10 worried parents have scrapped foreign holiday plans in the wake of Madeleine's abduction.

And more than 40 per cent who do take their children abroad over the summer admit they will be feeling anxious the entire time they are away, claim market researchers OnePoll.

'..I fear the worst and panic. We call them the wobbles. But we cannot contemplate going home without Madeleine'
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:22 pm

DNA test on 'Maddy' milkshake
Drink left in Belgian bar
By Emily Nash And Martin Fricker4/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Show us the proof
Vickery film plea
More Top Stories
belgium, e-fit, gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Police are DNA-testing a bottle and straw to find out if the girl seen sipping a milkshake in a Belgian bar is Madeleine McCann.

Scientists are analysing both items - left behind when a couple who were with the child hurried her away - to see if there is sufficient DNA for an identification. But the complexity of the process means any results are unlikely to be ready until next week - creating an agonising wait for Madeleine's parents Gerry and Kate.

The Mirror revealed yesterday that a woman had reported seeing a girl matching four-year-old Madeleine's description with the couple at the restaurant in Tongeren on the Dutch border.

The woman is a child therapist and has told police she is "100 per cent sure" it was Madeleine. She said the child was definitely behaving nervously.

Advertisement
Waitress Jolien Houbrech, 21, served the mystery couple at the De Pauze cafe and assumed they were the girl's parents - until she was approached by the concerned therapist.

Jolien said: "She asked if I noticed any resemblance between Madeleine and the child.

"She said that because of her work as a child therapist she had noticed that their behaviour was not that of normal parents. After she said that, I said maybe she should call it in to the police."

Unfortunately the couple, an English-speaking woman and a Dutch man, hurriedly slipped away - seemingly alarmed they had attracted attention.

Jolien added: "Now I wish I had done more and paid more attention to the couple and maybe tried to hear the girl talking. But at the time I didn't notice anything suspicious."

A Tongeren police spokesman said yesterday: "The woman told us the little girl bore a striking resemblance to Madeleine McCann and was behaving nervously.

"She said she got up to call us as soon as she saw the girl but when she returned to her table all three of them got into a car and left. She said she was 100 per cent sure it was Madeleine and she is a trusted witness. She works with children and noticed something unusual, that is why we are taking it seriously.

"She said the woman spoke English and the man was Dutch. She said they were acting strangely.

"We have issued a nationwide police alert and also informed border police and our colleagues in Portugal and the UK."

The spokesman confirmed the Fristi milkshake bottle and the straw the little girl had been using were currently undergoing tests.

He added: "The scientists will first see if there is enough DNA to create a profile before going on to check for match to Madeleine."

Police have already released an e-fit of the man, aged about 40, and a description of the Volvo four-door estate car the couple were driving on Saturday.

The woman was of Mediterranean appearance, aged around 25, with tanned skin and brown hair.

It is the second reported sighting of Madeleine in Belgium since she vanished from her parents' holiday chalet in Praia da Luz, Portugal, on May 3.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 pm

10 police blunders in McCann case
By Martin Fricker7/08/2007
Related Articles
Bungling cops point finger at Brits
Living in limbo
McCann pals lash sea claim
Fighting fund tops £1M
Kate McCann's agony
More Top Stories

(What's this?)Portuguese police have been slammed over their shambolic handling of the Madeleine McCann case.

It took them an astonishing THREE MONTHS to find a mysterious speck of blood inside the youngster's bedroom.

The detailed search took place only after British detectives were drafted in to review the 13-week investigation.

They were horrified at the way Portuguese authorities had bungled even the most basic searches. The officers from Leicestershire immediately ordered a new search of suspect Robert Murat's house.

Advertisement
They also requested a second forensic search of the McCanns' apartment, resulting in the discovery of blood.

The Portuguese investigation, led by police chief Luis Neves, has been bungled from the outset.

Here the Mirror looks at the ten most serious blunders:

1 POLICE failed to "lock down" the resort immediately after Madeleine was reported missing. Her parents were certain that she had been snatched and made their feelings known to police straight away.

But officials initially believed she had wandered off and therefore did not set up roadblocks around the resort.

2 BORDER officials should have been told of Madeleine's disappearance straight away. The Spanish frontier is less than one hour's drive from Praia da Luz and would have been

A likely destination for any kidnapper.

But police only alerted border officials 12 hours later.

3 LOCAL police also failed to alert their maritime colleagues to Madeleine's disappearance for 14 hours. If they thought she had wandered off, a search of the nearby beachfront and sea would have been vital.

There is a marina less than ten minutes' drive away, providing an escape route for an abductor by boat.

More than ten boats left before maritime police were alerted.

4 A HUGE search party organised by police should have started at first light the morning after Madeleine disappeared.

But instead only around 150 police took part in the first searches and they were badly organised and random.

Also, searches of more than 500 flats in Praia da Luz did not begin until Sunday.

5 VITAL clues are often left at the scene of the crime and the surrounding area. But the immediate area around the McCanns' apartment was never properly sealed off.

People could still walk in the area more than 24 hours after she disappeared. Only after large crowds had gathered in the area were police sniffer dogs brought in.

6 A DIRECT appeal to an abductor is seen as vital in the early hours of a kidnapping. Police usually take advice from psychological experts and carefully word an appeal.

But it was Madeleine's parents who made the appeal by themselves - without a Portuguese police officer at the press conference.

7 A COMPLETE list of guests at the resort should have been compiled by police with the help of Ocean Club staff. But they did not get the list until the Sunday afternoon - almost 48 hours after Madeleine's disappearance and a day after many had returned home at the end of their holidays.

8 POLICE should have issued a detailed description of what Madeleine was wearing immediately after she disappeared. Her distinctive pink pyjamas meant many people could have seen the youngster.

But officers repeatedly refused to issue the description and it was left to her parents to reveal details an astonishing FOUR DAYS later.

9 THE original search of the McCanns' apartment should have led to the discovery of the blood in Madeleine's bedroom. But specialist sniffer dogs and ultra-violet lights were not used - resulting in the tiny specks going unnoticed.

It was not until British police conducted their own search of the apartment that the blood was found.

10 THE search of Robert Murat's garden was similarly bungled. Portuguese police only briefly searched the overgrown garden, not even clearing bushes and shrubs.

British police were horrified by this and ordered gardeners to hack away the undergrowth before conducting a second search.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Is it Maddy's blood?
Tiny spots found in flat 3 months after Madeleine vanishes
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz7/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
Living in limbo
Fighting fund tops £1M
Kate McCann's agony
More Top Stories
blood, dna, gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz, robert murat

(What's this?)Police probing Madeleine McCann's disappearance were last night accused of astonishing incompetence as it was revealed traces of blood lay undetected in her parents' holiday flat for 13 weeks.

The news came amid mounting speculation that their only suspect, British expat Robert Murat, is about to be cleared - putting the Portuguese investigation back to square one.

The blood specks were found on Saturday - but only because British police reviewing the case searched the flat with specially trained sniffer dogs for the first time.

Incredibly, dozens of holidaymakers have been allowed to stay in the apartment since the initial forensic tests were done by Portuguese police in the days after the abduction.

Advertisement
Last night former detective and child protection expert Mark Williams Thomas said: "I am staggered it's taken so long to find the blood. Why did it take three months? It should have been found on day one.

"If it proves to be significant it will show how inept the Portuguese police were at carrying out the initial forensics tests. It makes a mockery of the investigation."

And a friend of Murat's said the unbelievable bungling by Portuguese police had ruined the 33-year-old property developer's life.

The friend added: "If it turns out that Robert has been a suspect for so long because police didn't do their job he will be furious. We have always thought the investigation has been shambolic and the finding of the blood only confirms this. Robert has said all along that he had nothing to do with Madeleine's disappearance and that has not changed."

The dogs found the blood halfway up a wall in a bedroom of Ocean Club apartment 5A in Praia da Luz.

Sources said it became visible to the human eye only when an ultraviolet light was shone on the wall.

Samples have been sent to a laboratory in Lisbon to be compared with four-year-old Madeleine's DNA, taken from a hair found in her bed.

Respected newspaper Journal de Noticias claims there is evidence someone had tried to clean the blood from the wall. The paper said there is a growing belief among Portuguese officers that Madeleine, of Rothley, Leics, will not be found alive.

They have a grim new theory that she was either killed inside the apartment or badly injured during the abduction. A source close to the case said: "This discovery of blood could change the direction of the investigation.

"One of the dogs stopped dead at the spot on the wall which is exactly what it is trained to do should it pick up the scent of blood.

"It then barked to indicate it had found something. The dogs are incredibly accurate."

According to Portuguese reports, Kate and Gerry McCann and their friends could now be called in for new interviews.

Detectives from Leicester police who are carrying out the case review have found no evidence linking Murat, a divorced father of one, to the crime.

Portuguese police are still keeping a second man under surveillance but sources say he is not thought to be the kidnapper.

Detectives leading the inquiry have based their entire case on Murat, who has always vehemently protested his innocence.

Officers have interviewed him many times and carried out detailed searches of his mother's villa, which is 100 yards from the McCanns' apartment.

Murat's mother Jenny, 71, yesterday said she expected her son to be cleared later this week.

And his lawyer Francisco Pagarete said: "My client expects and hopes, in the fastest way possible, to prove he's innocent.

"He feels good. He's happy and is eager to help in any way he can to prove he is innocent - just like he's been saying since the start."

A family friend added: "Robert is over the moon. He is much more relaxed than he has been in months. He is very positive."

Meanwhile, Swiss police are probing possible links between Madeleine's disappearance and the suicide of a suspected child snatcher.

Urs Hans Von Aesch, 67, is thought to have abducted a blonde Swiss girl who is the same build and height as Madeleine. Von Aesch lived in Spain and was on holiday in the Algarve around the time Madeleine disappeared.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Cops defend 'McCann parents'
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz8/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann (PA)
Related Articles
McCanns' police plea
Living in limbo
Fighting fund tops £1M
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Gerry McCann could barely contain his anger and pain yesterday at outrageous suggestions he and wife Kate could be responsible for the death of daughter Madeleine.

In an extraordinary development, sources told the Portuguese press that investigators had "definitely abandoned" the theory that Madeleine, four, was kidnapped.

Instead, it was claimed, police believe the youngster died in her bedroom "as a result of negligence or murder".

A source close to the couple said: "Kate and Gerry are well aware what these reports imply. That is either that they deliberately or by accident killed Madeleine, or that one of their close friends did.

Advertisement
"Gerry is absolutely livid about it all. The suggestions are very hurtful and do not help."

Rubbishing the cruel slur - which was also officially rejected by police - Gerry, 39, disclosed that the couple have information that "we're not allowed to tell".

But he said they would do nothing to prejudice the 97-day investigation.

Sitting next to his wife, and struggling to hide his rage, the consultant cardiologist said: "We're not naive but on numerous occasions the Portuguese police have said they are looking for Madeleine alive and not that she has been murdered.

"I don't know of any information that's changed that. Kate and I strongly believe that Madeleine was alive when taken."

The cruel suggestions that the McCanns could be involved came after specks of blood were discovered by British sniffer dogs on a wall in Madeleine's bedroom at their holiday flat in Praia da Luz, Portugal.

They had been missed by Portuguese police, the latest in a string of blunders.

In what appeared to be a deliberate attempt to shift blame from the police to the McCanns, Portuguese papers have also suggested the investigation is moving away from sole suspect Robert Murat, 33.

Asked yesterday about the blood, Gerry said he was unable to talk about the case. He added: "We do know some information that we're not allowed to tell.

"But we would never put anything into the public domain that might put the investigation at risk."

Gerry said he and Kate, 38, found it difficult being under the scrutiny of detectives but insisted they were "more than happy" to cooperate.

He said: "We expect to be treated the same as anyone else. It's only right."

Kate said: "Even last week the police said they are looking for a living child. They have said that a lot." She insisted at the weekend: "It's not us who committed the crime - but people will always criticise."

The claim that police now believe it is most likely that Madeleine was accidentally killed inside the flat appeared in the Portuguese paper Jornal de Noticias.

Another paper, the Diario de Noticias, reported: "The Policia Judiciara has known for a month that Madeleine was killed on the night of May 3, in the apartment in Praia da Luz, having definitely abandoned the theory that she was abducted."

It was also claimed the McCanns would soon be re-interviewed by police. But a family source said the couple had not been told.

As wild suggestions circulated, police were forced to state publicly that the McCanns were NOT under suspicion.

Normally tight-lipped spokesman Chief Insp Olegario Sousa said: "The family are not suspects. This is the official position."

He would not confirm whether blood had been found in the McCanns' apartment, saying: "I don't have the information."

The blood samples will reach the Forensic Science Service lab in Birmingham tomorrow for analysis.

Madeleine's parents then face an agonising two-week wait to discover if the specks belong to their daughter.

Police yesterday carried out forensic tests on a Renault Scenic hired by the couple, of Rothley, Leics.

They also checked cars belonging to Murat, his mother Jenny, 71, his friend Tuck Price, girlfriend Michaela Walczuch, her husband Luis Antonio and business associate Sergei Malinka, 22.

Dna results on a milkshake and straw found at a Belgium cafe where a woman claimed she saw Madeleine are expected today
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 pm

By Mirror.co.uk8/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
McCanns' police plea
Living in limbo
Fighting fund tops £1M
More Top Stories
belgium, drinks bottle, fristi yoghurt, kate mccann, madeleine mccann, tongeren

(What's this?)The DNA on a drink bottle used by a little girl in Belgium does not match that of Madeleine McCann's, according to reports.

Posecutors said the DNA was that of a man but have not ruled out the fact Madeleine could have drunk out of it before and a man finished it off.

A woman said she was "100% sure" she had seen the missing four-year-old at a restaurant in Tongeren, near the Dutch border on July 28.

The witness, a child therapist, claimed a Dutch man and English-speaking woman accompanying the child were acting strangely.

Advertisement
They left the restaurant in a black Volvo, registered in Belgium.

After the sighting was reported, police removed a bottle of Fristi yoghurt and fruit juice to test for a DNA match.

There have been several apparent sightings of the missing toddler in Europe since she was snatched from her family's apartment in Portugal on May 3.

During a BBC Radio 4 interview today, Kate McCann said every sighting was important to them and evidence people were still looking for her daughter.

Blood found on the walls of the holiday apartment is on its way to Britain for testing.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:27 pm

Maddy mum pain as new DNA clues probed
Martin Fricker In Praia Da Luz9/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann (DM)
Related Articles
'We could be coming home without Maddy'
McCanns' police plea
Living in limbo
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, madeleine, madeleine mccann, mccann

(What's this?)Kate McCann is slowly coming to terms with her guilt over daughter Madeleine's disappearance, she revealed yesterday.

Kate, 39, gave a rare insight into how she and husband Gerry are coping as it was revealed blundering Portuguese police missed DOZENS of DNA samples in the McCanns' holiday flat.

The potentially crucial evidence is now being analysed in a British lab.

Kate - who was dining with friends when Madeleine, four, was snatched - said: "I know the situation we were in that night. I have said all along that I didn't feel we were taking a risk."

Advertisement
Asked if she felt guilty, she said: "I have actually come to terms with that a little bit."

But in a sign that she still harbours regrets, Kate added: "I do feel desperately sorry that I wasn't with Madeleine when she was taken."

Kate and Gerry, also 39, have been the subject of an outrageous Portuguese smear campaign in recent days suggesting they were behind Madeleine's disappearance.

The mum was frank enough to acknowledge that in many similar crimes relatives are to blame. And she said she understood that police have to ask them questions, no matter how tough they are.

Kate said: "You need the investigation to be thorough. We'd welcome that really. The police were very open at the beginning, saying everyone is a suspect, and I think that's the case in many crimes."

Despite the lack of hard evidence 98 days into the investigation, Kate refuses to consider the possibility her daughter won't be found alive.

She said: "We haven't had any news to the contrary that Madeleine isn't alive, and that's very important.

"And there have been many cases of children that have been found much later than this so again that's reassuring. So the hope's still there."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 pm

By Mirror.co.uk9/08/2007
Kate and Gerry McCann (DM)
Related Articles
McCanns' police plea
Living in limbo
More Top Stories
francisco pagarete, gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy, madeleine, madeleine mccann, robert murat

(What's this?)The lawyer of Madeleine McCann suspect Robert Murat today launched an astonishing attack on the missing girl's parents. Francisco Pagarete accused Kate and Gerry McCann of "strange" behaviour for leaving the three-year-old alone in their holiday apartment.

He also claimed that locals in Praia da Luz now just wanted "these b****y McCanns" to leave Portugal and return to Britain.

As the 100th day since Madeleine disappeared approaches, police are still waiting for the results of tests on traces of blood recovered from the wall of the McCann's holiday apartment.

Robert Murat is expecting to be officially cleared of any involvement after weeks as the only official suspect in the case.

Advertisement
His lawyer Mr Pagarete said today: "As a Portuguese person I think it is strange that somebody would leave their kids.

"Then, after the first thing happened, they left their twins and went to see the Pope. It was like the McCanns on tour.

"When I was small and always running around, my parents had me on a leash so I could not run away.

"It's not attacking the McCanns in any way, but it's not the normal thing to do."

Mr Pagarete stressed that this was his "private opinion" and had nothing to do with his involvement in the case. "It has nothing to do with the way I feel or Robert Murat feels," he added.

Mr Pagarete also told reporters: "People in Praia da Luz say 'These b****y McCanns should just go away and leave this town. They are giving it a bad name'."

He said he was merely reporting the words of local residents who were suffering financially because of the dip in tourism following Madeleine's disappearance.

He added: "There were a lot of people who lost a lot of money since all this

Saturday will be the 100th day since Madeleine's disappearance. The family are expected to mark the grim milestone with a series of events, including a special Catholic prayer service in Praia da Luz.

In England, Premier League football clubs will play a video reminding fans that Madeleine is still missing.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 pm

Help ease their pain
10/08/2007
Related Articles
More Voice of the Mirror
News picturesKate and Gerry McCann have already experienced the worst thing imaginable for any parent.

For anyone to add to their pain by sniping over the way the couple have responded to their daughter Madeleine's disappearance is simply cruel.

It is difficult to fathom the mentality of those who have taken it upon themselves to criticise the McCanns.

Since Madeleine went missing nearly 100 days ago, Gerry and Kate have focused all their energy into doing whatever it takes to get her back.

Advertisement
Certainly, it would have been easier for them to have fled back to Britain and grieved in private.

But what good would that have been to their little girl?

While there is even a fraction of a chance that Madeleine is still alive, the McCanns will fight the urge to give up, and will keep battling to find her.

Sadly, it already appears that the Portuguese police have let the family down, with an investigation which can only be described as flawed.

We hope the residents of Praia da Luz won't compound that betrayal - and that they give the McCanns the support they so desperately need.
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Kate and Gerry hit back at lawyer's cruel jibes
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz, Portugal10/08/2007
Gerry and Kate McCann (PA)
Related Articles
McCanns' 20,000 cards of hope
McCanns' police plea
Living in limbo
More Top Stories

(What's this?)Madeleine McCann's parents vowed last night they would not be forced into quitting Portugal as a smear campaign against them gathered strength.

Mum Kate, 38, declared: "I'm not prepared to be bullied into doing something I don't want to. We will not be leaving.

"This speculation has been hurtful, intrusive and disrespectful. The last week has been particularly difficult. But we can cope with a lot and still have a lot of strength."

In an astonishing fresh attack yesterday, the lawyer for 33-year-old Brit suspect Robert Murat claimed that locals wanted the "b****y McCanns" to leave the resort of Praia da Luz.

Advertisement
Francisco Pagarete, who also suggested the couple were irresponsible to leave Madeleine alone, said: "People are getting tired of it all.

"They're saying 'These b****y McCanns should just go away and leave this town. This used to be a quiet place. They're giving it a bad name'. It's bad publicity."

Meanwhile cruel Portuguese reports continued to claim that police probing the disappearance of Madeleine, four, are still treating Kate and husband Gerry as suspects.

It has led the McCanns to cancel their plans to tour Portugal handing out posters to mark the 100 days on Saturday since their beloved daughter vanished.

As a final straw Kate and Gerry, 39, have been asked to remove their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie from a local creche because constant attention from the Portuguese press was affecting other families.

On the verge of tears after being trailed by Portuguese reporters, Kate said: "It's sticks and stones.

"But we'll never go through anything worse than being parted from Madeleine.

"The local press here have badly overstepped any reasonable line.

"We're trapped. But what can we do? We're a fairly ordinary couple in the most extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

"But we have to do our best to find Madeleine. It doesn't get any easier. The 50th day seemed like such a long time when we marked that. We've doubled that now. Soon, it's the 100th day.

"But it's just another day without Madeleine for us and for Madeleine another day of being separated from her family."

The couple try their hardest not to get their hopes up whenever possible sightings of Madeleine are reported.

Kate said: "There've been a lot of potential sightings, but we don't allow ourselves to get too excited.

"You'd like to but you can't. It's almost too good to think that this time this is it. It would be too much of a roller-coaster.

"People haven't said to us to give up hope. But they've said we have to get on with our lives, whatever that means.

"We have to find out what has happened to Madeleine and balance that against what's best for our other two children. Life is going on.

"It's a weird life filled with uncertainty and the void created because Madeleine isn't here. But it is life." Kate and Gerry are currently awaiting the results of DNA tests carried out on specks of blood found inside their apartment.

Traces of hair and fibre missed for three months by Portuguese police have also been found by British investigators who brought in two specially trained sniffer spaniels.

Meanwhile, Portuguese media reports claim Murat - the only official suspect - is on the verge of being cleared from the probe.

While refusing to talk about the investigation, Gerry said: "Clearly there's been a shift in the inquiry.

"There are new searches and speculation about blood. But we don't know of any new evidence to suggest that Madeleine isn't alive.

"The key thing is the lack of any evidence during the initial search and investigation of serious harm coming to her.

"That's what has given us hope and driven us on in the campaign.

"At the beginning, all we could imagine were the worst possible scenarios.

"We asked ourselves 'Did this happen, did that happen?' But it didn't help us achieve anything."

Gerry almost broke down when asked what the couple would be doing with Madeleine this weekend if she was still with them.

He recalled the family holiday he and Kate were planning with friends in the UK, and said: "It was just a holiday where the kids would play on the swings and paddle pool. It was just having fun."

Perhaps significantly, it emerged that he had failed to update his blog on the findmadeleine.com website for the first time.

As the couple stoically bore their burden, lawyer Pagarete tightened the screw by accusing them of "strange" behaviour in leaving Madeleine in her apartment while they dined with friends only yards away.

He also slammed the couple for travelling across Europe highlighting their daughter's plight, branding it the "McCanns on tour".

With astonishing lack of sensitivity, Pagarete said: "As a Portuguese person, I think it's strange that somebody would leave their kids.

"When I was a small child my parents had me on a leash so I wouldn't run away.

"Kids are like that. Incidents can happen. Maybe the poor child could open the door and got away. You'd never leave them alone like that in a foreign country and go and have a drink. It's not a normal thing.

"Then, after the first thing happened, they left their twins and went to see the Pope. It was like the McCanns on tour."

To mark the 100 days since Maddy vanished Kate and Gerry will attend a special mass at Our Lady of the Light church.

Today they will launch a YouTube web page for missing children called Don't You Forget About Me. Aimed at millions of 16 to 24-year-olds, it will contain videos and photos of vanished children.

A video highlighting the youngster's plight will be screened at every Premiership game on the opening day of the season.

England rugby players have filmed appeals that will be screened on YouTube.

Jockey Frankie Dettori will wear a special Madeleine T-shirt during races at Ascot.

In Liverpool, Kate McCann's parents will hand out flyers featuring Maddy's photo.

In Glasgow, a piper will perform a special song dedicated to Madeleine during the Pipe Band championships.

"These b****y McCanns should just go away and leave this town. They are giving it a bad name - FRANCISCO PAGARETE, ROBERT MURAT'S LAWYER, YESTERDAY
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Show us the proof
Martin Fricker in Praia Da Luz11/08/2007
Madeleine McCann (PA)
Related Articles
'We've told the twins Madeleine is missing'
A peg for Maddy
McCanns' 20,000 cards of hope
McCanns' police plea
More Top Stories
gerry mccann, kate mccann, maddy mccann, madeleine mccann, praia da luz

(What's this?)Gerry McCann told yesterday of the intolerable strain of being falsely linked to the disappearance of daughter Madeleine.

The 39-year-old cardiologist spoke out as he and wife Kate, 38, begged police to disclose any evidence that might show Madeleine, four, was killed.

Amid a rising smear campaign and reports of new leads, Gerry declared: "It's incredibly difficult when people are implying that your daughter's dead and that you may have been involved in it.

"Everything we have done has been in the belief that Madeleine was taken alive.

Advertisement
"I do not know of any specific evidence that alters that belief. If there is any, then as parents we need to know about it. We know we're absolutely innocent."

Detectives have identified a new British suspect who they will interview next week, reports claimed yesterday.

The man is said to have flown into Portugal from Britain on April 28, the same day the McCann family arrived.

He helped search for Madeleine after she vanished from her apartment at Praia da Luz, 100 days ago on May 3.

Police have seized his rented car, a blue Vauxhall Corsa. It was returned to Faro airport on May 6 when the man flew back to Britain. The McCanns were due to return home on the same day.

Sources said the car has been forensically tested. British sniffer dogs trained to detect blood and bodies were involved.

Police are believed to know the suspect's whereabouts in the UK. They are trying to establish if there is a link between him, the McCanns and their holiday friends.

The claims, in the Jornal de Noticias, follow the discovery of blood specks in Madeleine's bedroom and speculation that sole suspect Robert Murat, 33, will soon be formally cleared.

Increasingly frustrated at the apparent lack of progress and clear information, Gerry said yesterday: "There has definitely been a shift in the investigation and the way in which it is proceeding.

"Police haven't said that Madeleine is dead. On multiple occasions they've said they're looking for a missing child.

"But there has been a shift. I want to see the evidence which has caused that. We need to know about it.

"If that means we're starting with a new slate, we've always said that all scenarios are possible and have always co-operated.

"If the focus of the investigation changing leads us to finding out what's happened to Madeleine and recovering her, that's all we're interested in."

Gerry's words reflected the McCanns' private belief that Portuguese police led by "Inspector Clueless" Guilhermino Encarnacao are no nearer to finding Madeleine.

Detectives have interviewed more than 450 people and followed up dozens of possible sightings.

They have also been accused of a string of bungles.

A family friend said: "It's very frustrating for Kate and Gerry. Now it looks like they're back to square one.

"They've done, and will continue to do, all they can to co-operate with investigators. But it appears the police haven't got a clue."

Ex-pat Murat's lawyer Francisco Pagarete said yesterday: "He's still the only suspect in this case. This troubles me because I think it's already time for him to be cleared.

"We hope that the Portuguese authorities will clear him from this situation as soon as possible."

Kate and Gerry, from Rothley, Leics, will today attend a Catholic church in Praia da Luz at a special mass for Madeleine.

They also announced the launch of a YouTube web page called Don't You Forget About Me dedicated to Madeleine and other missing children. It features messages from US First Lady Laura Bush and David Beckham.

The site will be managed by the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, in Washington.

Kate said: "We've had so much goodwill from everyone, we wanted to give something tangible back to help others."
To my critics
bjr

PreviousNext

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations