Daily Star Articles

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Daily Star Articles

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Post your old Daily Star Articles here
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Re: Daily Star Articles

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 pm

DAILY STAR, 24TH SEPTEMBER 2007

POLICE last night showed they think Madeleine McCann's parents are lying over her disappearance as they declared the only other suspect innocent,
by Jerry Lawton

Detectives revealed they now believe ex-pat Brit property developer Robert Murat, 33, has nothing to do with the case. They think he is the victim of a plot by the McCanns and their pals to frame him for Madeleine's abduction and murder.

The seven friends on holiday with the couple could all now be named suspects. Police want to know why three of them insisted they saw Mr Murat outside the couple's apartment the night the four-year-old disappeared when he was, in fact, not there.

Police also want to know why a fourth pal, Jane Tanner, claimed she saw a man carrying a child dressed in pyjamas towards Mr Murat's mum's villa. Though denying it was him, Mr Murat himself conceded he matched the description. Detectives dismissed Miss Tanner's account after two independent witnesses saw no-one other than her. In a sworn statement to police Mr Murat said he never left his mum's villa 100 yards from the holiday apartment in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz where Madeleine vanished on May 3. Mr Murat could now become a key witness for the prosecution. He joined in the search for Madeleine in the days after she vanished and observed the actions of the McCanns and their pals.

Not everyone can be telling the truth here

Murat's mother Jennifer, 71, insisted that he had dined with her then gone to bed. Mobile phone experts who track movements when calls are placed revealed Mr Murat was telling the truth. He remains an official suspect in the case today simply for legal reasons, because it allows police to continue to rely on evidence collected during their probe into his involvement.

A police source said: "Not everyone can be telling the truth here. "While the McCanns' and their friends' accounts rely entirely on each other, there is strong independent evidence suggesting Murat is telling the truth. "Every aspect of his life has been investigated in detail and nothing has been found to tie him to this. "If he wasn't there we must then ask ourselves why these people are saying he was."
Police are now planning to re-interview Miss Tanner, 37, and the trio who placed Mr Murat outside the apartment "as a matter of urgency". They are Miss Tanner's casualty consultant partner Dr Russell O'Brien, 36, Dr Fiona Payne, 34, and doctor's wife Rachael Oldfield, 36. The three remaining friends, Dr Payne's medical researcher husband David, 41, her mum Dianne Webster and Mrs Oldfield's consultant husband Matthew, 37, are also expected to be quizzed again. Under Portuguese law detectives would have to declare them suspects in order to ask them key questions.

Police think GP Kate McCann, 39, accidentally killed Maddie in their apartment then roped in her heart consultant husband Gerry, also 39, to help dispose of the body. Detectives think former hospital anaesthetist Kate gave Madeleine a dose of sedatives to help her sleep while she and her husband dined with pals in a tapas bar 40 yards away. Officers believe the youngster either overdosed or suffered an adverse reaction. They are awaiting the results of toxicology tests carried out on body fluids with an 88% match to Madeleine's DNA found in the boot of a hire car that the couple rented three weeks after she disappeared.

Police now believe at least some of the couple's pals know what happened to the youngster. The McCanns and their friends all deny any involvement in Madeleine's disappearance. The McCanns claim they are being framed by Portuguese police to solve a case they have bungled.

Mr Murat's lawyer Francisco Pagarete last night said he knew "nothing officially" about his client being cleared. But he added: "That is in fact the result we expect." Mr Murat said: "I am aware of these reports claiming I will be stood down as an official suspect, but no-one has officially told me anything. Naturally I hope that the development is correct because I have always maintained my innocence."
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm

DAILY STAR 17TH OCTOBER 2007

MADDIE: CORPSE WAS HIDDEN IN CAR
by Jerry Lawton

MADELEINE McCann's parents were last night rocked by claims detectives have proof a dead body was in their hire car.

Portuguese police sources say forensic results show "bodily fluid'' in the boot of the Renault Scenic came from a corpse. They claim it was found on the underside of the carpet above the spare tyre well and officers believe the find indicates a body had been deliberately hidden there. They previously claimed the fluid had an 88% match to Madeleine's DNA. Detectives were last night awaiting the results of further tests to confirm who it belongs to. The bombshell came as Kate and Gerry McCann admitted for the first time their daughter was "probably dead''.

Police have also began searching a remote reservoir for the youngster's body. A team of detectives visited Barragem da Bravura, a wildlife haven 10 miles from the Praia da Luz holiday apartment where Madeleine vanished.

Detectives have also seized a computer used by Gerry, 39, in the days after Madeleine disappeared. They plan to apply to the judge handling the case for permission to open the heart surgeon's e-mails. Detectives are also demanding that Kate, 39, hands over her diary.

Last night police sources admitted the investigation was still heavily focused on the McCanns, who have been named suspects. Police believe Kate accidentally killed Madeleine after giving her sedatives. They claim the pair then disposed of the body.

A Portuguese police source said fluids found in the boot could not have been transferred from Madeleine's clothes because they were under the carpet. He said: "Police are being told the fluids came from a dead body. These are bodily fluids that could only come from a corpse.

"Police are waiting for the results to confirm the identity of the DNA.''

Last night a source close to the McCanns' legal team insisted the couple were "entirely innocent''. And their spokesman Clarence Mitchell said the couple still desperately hoped Madeleine would be found alive but realised it was unlikely. He said: "Kate and Gerry are realistic enough to know that there is a probability she is dead."
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm

DAILY STAR, JANUARY 28, 2008

The "creepy" prowler fingered in the hunt for Madeleine McCann was last night revealed as a penniless pig farmer ... with a gun.

Police are certain Joaquim Jose Marques is the suspicious stranger spotted lurking in Praia da Luz a fortnight before Madeleine vanished. But when the Daily Star tracked him down yesterday at his crumbling farmhouse three miles from the Portuguese resort, he unleashed a pack of ferocious dogs. Then he emerged with a rifle, screaming threats that he would open fire.

Marques became the centre of a global manhunt after Brit holidaymaker Gail Cooper described the character that made her "blood run cold" to an ex-FBI sketch artist who produced a vivid drawing of the man.

Maddie's parents Gerry and Kate, both 39, distributed a million posters of the image in a bid to trace him, so he could be quizzed over their daughter's disappearance while they were on holiday at the resort. But yesterday it was revealed that detectives had tracked him down just 20 days after the four-year-old vanished last May and found he had an alibi.

Police officers went back to see Marques this week after the McCanns issued their poster. They also quizzed his British hairdresser girlfriend – with whom he has a three-year-old daughter – to check out his story. When the Daily Star went to his tumbledown hillside farm, it was apparent why police were quick to include him in their first round-up of suspects.

Marques flew into a rage at being linked to the Madeleine disappearance and set loose his dogs. Then, brandishing a garden hoe menacingly, he screamed abuse when asked to explain the police visit. "Leave me alone, leave me alone," he yelled. "You are destroying my life. I have had the police here and they know it is not me. I want you off my land right now." The swarthy farmer disappeared into an abandoned outbuilding and emerged toting a rifle above his head, screaming threats that he was about to shoot. While his long hair, facial colouring and age – in his 30s – match the man in the drawing, he does not share his moustache or prominent teeth.

Holidaymaker Gail, 50, had told how she saw the mysterious man three times in Praia da Luz the week before the McCanns arrived, and he gave her the "creeps".

Last night the McCanns' private detectives from the Barcelona-based Metodo 3 agency were still trying to track down Marques to question him about the poster. The couple's family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "As far as we are concerned the hunt for the man in the sketch continues. "We are very grateful to anyone who comes forward with information and, even if it is not the man we are looking for, it enables us to rule individuals out."

But Portuguese police said Marques was not a suspect in the case, had not been arrested and has been eliminated from their inquiries. A police source said: "At the time of the disappearance an individual who had been fingered as a suspect by a tourist in Luz was contacted. Immediately he was acquitted of any suspicions. This week another English citizen pointed to the individual. But after the man was once again contacted, it was quite clear he had no connection to the case."
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:54 pm

FROM THE MCCANNFILES WEBSITE:

DAILY STAR, FEBRUARY 10, 2008*

McCANNS TO BE CLEARED
By Jonathan Corke

Police are to give Kate and Gerry McCann the chance to clear their names over daughter Maddie's disappearance. The couple, who have been official suspects in the case for five months, will be asked by Portuguese detectives to respond to 40 questions. Sources say that unless there are "screaming contradictions" the couple will be cleared.

Last night the McCanns' spokesman Clarence Mitchell said the sooner they are questioned the better. He said: "There won't be any screaming contradictions and hopefully the emphasis can then be put on finding Madeleine, who we believe is still alive."

Legal letters outlining the 40 questions are to be sent to the Home Office this week. Interviews are then likely to be carried out by detectives from Leicestershire police, the McCanns' local force.

Speaking exclusively to the Daily Star Sunday, Gerry's brother John McCann said that making the couple arguidos had "led people into a cul de sac". He said: "Any sensible person realises Madeleine was abducted. We didn't anticipate being in this position after nine months."

Barcelona-based Metodo 3, the private investigation firm working for the McCanns, currently has ten men "on the ground" in Praia da Luz searching for the four-year-old. They also have operatives in Spain, North Africa and elsewhere across the globe.

John McCann added: "Until somebody comes up with something to say otherwise, we will never stop looking for Madeleine."

http://www.mccannfiles.com/

*Originally was published online on February 9, 2008
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm

ADDITIONAL LINKS TO ARTICLES OR EXTRACTS OF ARTICLES ON THE MCCANNFILES WEBSITE:

Mrs Pamela Fenn
Daily Star 08 September 2007 (link). But when the children's mother checked on them at 10pm she discovered Madeleine was missing and ran from the apartment ...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id66.html

Killer Steps
Daily Star report 01 October 2007 (link). Killer Steps. 1st October 2007. By Jerry Lawton. Madeleine McCann died after tumbling down steps ...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id71.html

Vanity Fair Interview
Undaunted, the tabloids summoned up yet another genetic fantasy: maddie: who's her daddy? asked the Daily Star in October, implying that Gerry is not ...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id63.html

Missing Maddie's special prezzie
Daily Star. LITTLE Sean and Amelie McCann will open a special present from their big sister as they celebrate their ...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id75.html
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:59 am

The Daily Star
I know Maddie snatcher says Paedo-buster
13/06/07
Last night the McCanns returned to Portugal from Morocco, where they had been raising awareness of Madeleine's disappearance. Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "We urge Mr Toscano to talk to the police directly and immediately.'' Police said they would probe Toscano's claims.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:36 am

'I KNOW THE PAIN YOU ARE FEELING'
ABOVE: Kate McCann18th January 2008 By Jerry Lawton
Kate e-mail to parents of Mari Luz

MADELEINE McCann's mum has told the parents of a child feared snatched by the same abductor: "I feel your pain.''

GP Kate, 39, sent her words of comfort to the parents of five-year-old Mari Luz Cortes when the McCanns' private detectives met them to investigate links between the two cases.

Kate, 39, told Mari's ex-footballer dad Juan and his devastated wife Irena they are in her thoughts and daily prayers.

In an e-mailed message she said: "I feel your pain. As parents we know what you are going through.''

Kate said she "felt sickened'' when she heard Mari had vanished from the port of Huelva, in south-west Spain – 120 miles from the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz, where Madeleine vanished on May 3.

Her message added: "You are in my thoughts. Best wishes. I am praying that Mari Luz is found quickly, safe and well.''

The youngster disappeared after buying crisps in a shop just 200 yards from her parents' tenement home on Sunday.

I feel your pain. As parents we know what you are going through Kate McCann

Mr Cortes, 34, who is now a construction firm boss, said: "Kate McCann has been in touch to offer us her condolences. Only now do I know what they must also be suffering.''

The Cortes family are considering an offer from the McCanns to include a photograph of Mari Luz on 12,000 posters due to be printed and put up in Spain and the Balearic and Canary Islands.

Mr Cortes said: "We'd like to thank the McCanns from the bottom of our hearts for this offer, but at this moment we don't feel strong enough to make a decision.''

Family friend and local pastor Luis Molina said: "It was a wonderful gesture from a family that is also suffering a great deal. It is a great comfort."

Investigators from the Barcelona-based Metodo 3 detective agency, hired by the McCanns, think the two cases may be linked.

Spanish detectives were last night reported to be questioning a local man who is believed to be a known sex offender. He disappeared the day after Mari Luz vanished.
Her grandfather Juan Suarez said he is sure the girl was lured away by two other children on the orders of the attacker.

"These children must have been bait to lure my grand-daughter,'' he said.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:45 am

MADDIE: SICK NEW TWIST
ABOVE: SPOOF: Madeleine McCann1st November 2007 By JERRY LAWTON Your Shout
MADELEINE McCann's furious parents last night branded a magazine "totally sick" for a spoof about their missing daughter.

German mag Titanic slapped a picture of Madeleine on a kitchen cleaner ad, saying it "removes all traces at home and against which DNA tests have no chance".

They also used photos of the four-year-old on nappies and chocolate saying they hoped customers would not think they could "take them free" because they bore her face.

Last night Madeleine's GP mum Kate and heart consultant dad Gerry, both 39, said they were "horrified". Their lawyers are planning to sue the publishers of the rag – a German equivalent of British satirical magazine Private Eye.

The use of Madeleine's image in this way is extremely distressing for Kate and Gerry

The couple's spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "The use of Madeleine's image in this way is extremely distressing for Kate and Gerry. "It also shows Madeleine herself no respect. It is totally sick, very hurtful and in no way funny.

The magazine did not seek permission to use Madeleine's image to be used on this so-called joke. "If they had it would almost certainly not have been given. The hurt and distress this kind of thing causes Madeleine's parents should be obvious for all to see.''

Madeleine vanished from her parents' holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, on May 3, two days before her fourth birthday. The global search for her has received almost as much publicity in Germany as the UK.

The McCanns visited the country as part of their Europe-wide campaign to locate her. Magazine bosses said the double page mock supermarket ad was "harmless fun" designed to ridicule the "media machine" surrounding the missing girl.

The advert said as Madeleine "has become the most famous face in the world and probably the universe" it was only logical her image should be used in advertising. The spoof spread advertised a "Maddie discount" price for four products.

One is a bar of kids' chocolate bearing Madeleine's face. The ad pledges 1% of all sales will be donated to Interpol, who have been searching for her for six months. The domestic cleaner ad guarantees to be so good no DNA could survive it.

DNA with an 88% match to Madeleine's was allegedly found in the boot of a car the McCanns hired after she disappeared. Soup called "Maggi" is renamed "Maddie" with the wording on the packet in braille for blind people. A fourth advert is for dried bread with the youngster's picture on the front.

The magazine's editor-in-chief Thomas Gsella said: "So far no-one has complained about the collage. "We hope that everyone will find it as funny as we do because it is not aimed at the little girl, but against the media machine that surrounds her.

"Her image can be seen everywhere and it is getting a bit too much for many people.''
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby HAPPYDOG » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 am

Wow Kazlux go go go.

Well blooming done.
:D
HAPPYDOG
XXXXX
HAPPYDOG
Local Lag

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:20 am

MADDIE: SUSPECT'S SECRET PAST
ABOVE: The mystery suspect22nd January 2008 By Gary Nicks and Jerry Lawton
THE creepy-looking oddball suspected of snatching Madeleine McCann could have been preying on children in Portugal for years.

Detectives who revealed a sketch of the suspect yesterday have been swamped with calls from people who recognise him – including several saying he seems to have an unhealthy interest in kids.

One British woman saw the man staring at her eight-year-old granddaughter at a swimming pool near where Maddie vanished. He claimed he was collecting money for an orphanage – which detectives later said was a lie.

Another Briton claims he saw the scruffy man hanging round the Portuguese resort of Faro.

The image of the man, said to be of North African descent, has switched the family's hunt for the four-year-old in the Rif Mountains of Morocco.

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for Maddie's parents Kate and Gerry, both 39, said: "This is exactly the sort of call we want. We think the image is of such a quality that anyone who knows him will be able to identify him.

"Kate and Gerry are quite buoyant at the moment – every time we do something like this and move things forward it gives them strength."

Private detectives believe the weirdo could be her kidnapper after he was seen acting suspiciously in Praia da Luz, Portugal, just days before the McCanns arrived there for their holiday.

One million posters appealing for information are being distributed across Morocco, Portugal and Spain.

The artist's impression was created after British gran Gail Cooper, 50, told detectives she first saw the man hanging around in the pouring rain on the deserted beach on April 20 – just two weeks before Maddie vanished on May 3.

She met him days later when he said he was raising cash for an orphanage in nearby Espiche. And she wasn't surprised when detectives from the Metodo 3 agency hired by the McCanns, of Rothley, Leics, found he was lying.

"It just didn't add up," said Gail, of Newark, Notts. "He was rambling and becoming agitated. He unnerved me.

"I thought he was a conman trying to pull a fast one. He was unpleasant, and I felt vulnerable when I was in his presence."

And the healthcare coordinator feared for her granddaughter's safety when she saw the man yet again, this time "ogling" children from the holiday kids' club Maddie attended in the days before she vanished. "I recognised him instantly and it made me uncomfortable," she said. "My memory of him is very vivid because it was so unnerving," she said. "He made my blood run cold and gave me the creeps."

Gail told police about her fears weeks before Metodo 3 released the drawing, which shows a man of 38 to 45, with sallow skin, lank, dark hair, a droopy moustache and large teeth.

"It's certainly some time since I went to the police," she said. "I was a bit surprised it took so long for something to be done. I just hope my information helps and this man is caught."

Gail's statement has been backed up by a 12-year-old girl who lives in the resort. The Portuguese youngster has also told of a suspicious-looking moustachioed man who was posing as a charity collector.

Metodo 3 has received so many calls from around the world in the last two days that it has set up a 24-hour helpline centre in Barcelona to cope with the volume.

But police probing the four-year-old's disappearance refused to support the couple's manhunt.

A source close to the investigation in Portugal said: "The search for this man has nothing to do with the police. It is purely down to the McCanns.

"Clearly they now think they are better detectives than the Portuguese police.''

Anyone who knows the man, or believes they may have seen him, should contact the McCann team's multi-language information hotline on 00 34 902 300 213.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:25 am

WE DID NOT KILL MADDIE

9th August 2007 By Jerry Lawton

MADELEINE McCann's parents revealed yesterday that they are suspects in her disappearance, but angrily insisted: "We did not kill her."

Gerry, 39, and Kate, 38, added: "We are livid at the suggestion . . . we still believe she is alive."

The development came after police revealed it was unlikely Madeleine, four, was kidnapped.

Detectives are now thought to believe Madeleine died in the family's holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, either by accident or murder. Officers said they plan to reinterview the McCanns.

A British police sniffer dog said by its officers to be "the best in the world" found traces of blood on a wall in the apartment where Madeleine vanished on May 3.

They were invisible to the naked eye, but showed up under ultraviolet light. Detectives said a bid had been made to clean it up.

Forensic experts will now try to match the DNA.

The dog, a springer spaniel called Keela, has been trained to sniff out human blood even after several washes with biological detergent.

We are livid at the suggestion . . . we still believe she is alive. Kate McCann

As a puppy she was taught to ignore all decomposing body material other than blood.

Now her skills could be vital as police focus their investigation once again on the McCanns and their apartment.
The couple's hire car has been seized for forensic examination. Friends on the ill-fated holiday have been under secret surveillance and face being hauled back to Portugal for further questioning.

Portugese police chief Olegario Sousa said: "Any evidence in a criminal investigation that has been collected goes to the laboratories to be analysed."

Asked about the the blood specks Gerry said he could not comment on specific details of the police inquiry.
He said: "We're not naive, but on numerous occasions the police have assured us they were looking for Madeleine alive and not Madeleine having been murdered."

Gerry said the fact he and his wife had come under scrutiny from detectives was "difficult".

He said: "We expect the same thoroughness and to be treated the same way as anyone else who has been in and around this."

But a spokesman for the couple said they found it "very hurtful" the finger of suspicion had been pointed at them.
"She said: "Gerry is absolutely livid about it. It's nonsense."

Yesterday police examined several motors, including nine linked to Robert Murat, 33, the ex-pat Brit estate agent who is still the only official suspect in the case.

They have not found anything to link him to Madeleine's disappearance. And Keela did not pick up a scent at his mum's villa.

On Saturday it will be 100 days since Madeleine went missing.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 am

removed because placed in wrong thread - brought over to 'daily express' thread.
Last edited by KazLux on Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:03 am

MADDIE BODY UNDER ROCKS SAYS TIP-OFF 14th June 2007

POLICE were last night desperately searching scrubland after a psycho sent them a map showing where Madeleine McCann lies buried. They fear the sender is the same person who last year led detectives to the graves of two murdered Belgian children. Detectives are worried they could be trapped in a game of cat-and-mouse with an inter-national paedophile serial killer.

The map, sent to the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, claims four-year-old Madeleine is buried near a dirt track in Odiaxere, a village nine miles north-east of Praia da Luz.

Marked with crosses, the map was accompanied by a letter, claiming Madeleine was buried "north of the road under branches and rocks, around six to seven metres off the road".

The news has left Madeleine's parents Gerry, 39, and Kate, 38, fearing the worst just a day after a child sex investigator claimed he knew the paedophile dubbed The Frenchman who had taken her and that she was still alive.

Last June two almost identical maps and a letter were sent to the Dutch paper, showing where missing Belgian stepsisters Nathalie Mahy, 10, and Stacy Lemmens, seven, were buried. Their bodies were found the next day in a drain 400 metres from the Liege bar where they had been snatched as their parents drank inside 18 days earlier.

They were strangled shortly after they had been snatched.

Convicted child rapist Abdallah Ait-Oud, 39, who was in the bar that night, was named the prime suspect by detectives.

He handed himself in three days after the girls vanished but he has always protested his innocence and could not have sent the map because he was in jail. Police also found the DNA of an unidentified person on the girls' bodies.

Madeleine vanished from her family's holiday apartment on May 3 as Kate and Gerry dined in a tapas bar 40 yards away.

Police found an unidentified person's DNA in the apartment.

A Dutch police source said: "There are a number of striking similarities in the two cases.

"The manner of the abductions – taking advantage of distracted parents – is similar. In both cases the letter writer then sat back and did nothing for many days, allowing the finger of suspicion to fall on others.

"Other than the geography the letters are identical. Most alarmingly the maps both come from exactly the same source."

He said they hoped the latest letter was "a sick hoax".

Portugese Chief Insp Olegario Sousa said the information was being taken "very seriously".

A spokesman for the McCanns said they were "troubled" by the development and awaiting news.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:15 am

FORMER PR ADVISER BACKS MCCANNS 6th October 2007

Gerry and Kate McCann's public composure in the immediate aftermath of their daughter's disappearance masked their private turmoil, a witness said.

Alex Woolfall, a public relations consultant who advised the couple, said they reacted exactly as he would expect after Madeleine vanished.

He said their behaviour convinced him of their innocence.

"They were behaving exactly as I thought someone in that situation would be," he told The Times newspaper.

"They had not slept. They were trying to work out what to do that might help generate images of her. They were desperately keen to publicise her face.

"I was struck at the perception of people who had watched Kate and Gerry: that they were very controlled and perhaps were not responding in a way people thought would be more natural.

"They were not at all controlled. When I was with them, they were between being completely distraught and trying to do what they felt was the right thing."

Mr Woolfall is an expert in crisis PR for communications group Bell Pottinger and was employed by the Mark Warner holiday resort in Praia da Luz in Portugal's Algarve, from where Madeleine vanished on May 3.

He helped the McCanns select photographs of Madeleine to be given to the media and to prepare a short statement appealing for help in finding the missing girl.

Portuguese police named the couple as suspects in Madeleine's disappearance, but the couple have always protested their innocence, and turmoil in the police investigation in the last week has further undermined any possible case against them.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Next

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations