Daily Express Articles.

Reference Forum for all information regarding translations and PT Law etc and other useful information.

Daily Express Articles.

Postby bjr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:01 pm

Post your old Daily Express Articles here
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Re: Daily Express Articles.

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:42 pm

DAILY EXPRESS, FEBRUARY 16, 2008

POLICE LAST CHANCE TO FIND MADELEINE
by Martin Evans, in Praia da Luz

DETECTIVES investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann are re-interviewing key witnesses in a final bid to crack the case. Five staff members who were at the Ocean Club complex on the night she went missing have been quizzed in recent days as pressure mounts to conclude the investigation. Among those interviewed was the estranged husband of Robert Murat's girlfriend Michaela Walczuch. Luis Antonio, a pool cleaner, worked at the resort last summer.

In a fresh development, three members of the so-called Tapas Nine, who were at dinner with Kate and Gerry McCann on the evening of May 3 when Madeleine vanished, are also likely to be questioned. The burst of activity comes just days after Portugal's justice minister Alberto Costa said the case was almost at an end. It is understood the Policia Judiciaria are preparing to shelve the nine-month inquiry. But the head of the investigation, Paulo Rebelo, has demanded that certain key statements are double checked.

Antonio, 37, who still lives with his wife, despite her being the girlfriend of British suspect Robert Murat, was first interviewed last May, just weeks after Madeleine went missing. A police source told the Portuguese newspaper 24 Horas that the fresh round of interviews was intended to unearth any tiny details missed initially.

The source said: ''Several police interviews have been repeated and the statements are being analysed to try to find any lead that could result in a new line of investigation."

Portuguese detectives are also expected to travel to Leicestershire to oversee interviews of three of the McCanns' holiday friends – Russell O'Brien, Jane Tanner and David Payne. Formal letters requesting the interviews have now been received by the Home Office and will be handed to Leicestershire Police next week. They want to clear up alleged inconsistencies in their original statements.
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:49 pm

DAILY EXPRESS, AUGUST 14, 2007

Madeleine: New British 'Suspect' Insists He's Innocent
by David Pilditch

A BRITON told yesterday how he became caught up in the investigation into missing Madeleine McCann after suspicious staff at a hire car firm tipped off police.

Lawyer James Gorrod, 34, rented a blue Opel Corsa in Portugal five days before the four-year-old vanished. Staff at rental firm Sixt, based at Faro airport, raised the alarm when he returned the vehicle on May 6 – because it was fitted with a child seat and they believed he was travelling alone.

Mr Gorrod was later contacted by British police after it was discovered he had close links with friends who had been on holiday with Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry. In a statement, Mr Gorrod said last night: "A British police officer directly liaising with the Portuguese investigation team recently contacted me to eliminate the vehicle I hired for a holiday with my wife and two-year-son in Praia da Luz at the time Madeleine McCann disappeared.

"The vehicle has been identified and I have been told by the British police officer that he has no plans to interview me or my family, and he does not expect me or my family to have any further involvement in the investigation. We are, of course, deeply saddened by Madeleine's disappearance and hope for her safe return."

Mr Gorrod's wife, Charlotte, yesterday said it was "absolutely ridiculous" to suggest the couple were in any way linked to Madeleine's disappearance. She said:ÔÇê"Horrible things have been said about us and our friends but none of them are true.''

The Gorrods live in Exeter, Devon, just two minutes from their friends, hospital consultant Dr Russell O'Brien and Jane Tanner, who are both key witnesses in the investigation. The two couples met up during their week-long holiday in Portugal and it is believed Mr Gorrod and his family were staying at the same resort in Praia da Luz as the McCanns and their seven friends.

Coincidentally, chief suspect Robert Murat, 33, was in Exeter for 10 days shortly before Madeleine vanished on May 3. The British expat arrived back in the Algarve just 48 hours earlier on May 1. He has since been questioned several times by police but has always protested his innocence.

Mr Gorrod, his wife, and their two-year-old son William flew out to Portugal on April 28 – the same day as the McCanns and their friends began their ill-fated holiday. Police were alerted after Mr Gorrod returned the car eight days later. The vehicle was never examined by Portuguese police and was leased out five more times.

Three months into the investigation British police carried out a major review of the case and car hire bosses were ordered to take it off the road last Monday. The vehicle was traced to Lisbon and has now been placed in a compound awaiting examination.

Yesterday Mrs Gorrod, 32, said how hurtful speculation about the couple's involvement in the case had been. She said: "This is all absolutely ridiculous. We know Dr O'Brien and Jane Tanner because we both have children of about the same age and we were staying in the same resort. At the time, the Portuguese police asked the O'Briens if they knew anybody who had access to a car and they gave our names.

"We were happy to talk to the police but they did not approach us.

"We know what is being said now and it is ridiculous. The car has been checked out and there is no problem. It is surprising it has come up now and very upsetting for me because I have just come out of hospital after giving birth to my second child.

"We have been told that the family and friends of the McCanns are not under suspicion. My husband has spoken to the police and given them all the details of the car. We just want to help really and we could do without all this hassle.
"My husband was on holiday with myself and our son who is aged two. And that is why we needed a baby seat. It was our last chance to have a holiday before I got too pregnant to fly."

Dr O'Brien, 36, has told police he saw Murat outside the McCanns' apartment around the time of the abduction. He was among three members of the McCanns' party who insist they saw Murat close to the apartment that night.

Miss Tanner claims she saw a man rushing away from the complex with a child wrapped in a blanket at around 9.10pm, 50 minutes before the alarm was raised.

Portuguese police were last night still awaiting the results of DNA tests being carried out in Britain on specks of blood found in the McCanns' holiday apartment.

Yesterday, the respected Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias reported that British sniffer dogs had carried out searches along the coastline close to Praia da Luz. The newspaper claims police are working on the theory that Madeleine's body was thrown into the sea. It is possible her corpse was placed in a rubbish bag weighed down by rocks. It is also claimed that police believe Madeleine died in the family's holiday apartment – either by accident or murder.

But, despite the speculation, the McCanns insist they will carry on believing Madeleine is alive until they are shown evidence to the contrary.
Last edited by HawkEyes1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:54 pm

DAILY EXPRESS, MAY 11, 2007

Maddy's parents also faced the harrowing task yesterday of scanning CCTV film for a glimpse of their kidnapped daughter. Footage at a garage in Portugal captured an image of three suspects, including a woman, with a girl who matched Maddy's description. The camera also caught the car's British number plate and the registration has been circulated by Interpol and British police.

Kate and Gerry McCann were driven at speed from their holiday apartment to a police station in Portimao to help officers examine the tapes after Mrs McCann again went to the local church to pray for her daughter. Bill Henderson, the British Consul in the Algarve, was seen leaving the police headquarters while Mr and Mrs McCann were still inside.

Two of the three suspects in the CCTV footage that may show the missing girl have been identified by a man who claimed he caught them photographing his own child two weeks ago. The witness, Portuguese-born Nuno Lourenco who lives in Germany, said the gang attempted to abduct his own young daughter. He told detectives that he saw a man of English appearance photographing his daughter, described as strikingly similar in appearance to Maddy, on April 30 in Sagres, a town just a few miles from the holiday complex where the McCann family was staying.

The witness, who with his German wife has two children aged two and four, said he chased the man, who fled, jumping into a car with a woman and another man before speeding off. Mr Lourenco is believed to have provided the authorities with a photograph taken on his mobile phone.

The witness has told officers he was "100 per cent certain" they were the same people caught on CCTV with the girl matching Maddy's description hours after she went missing. The description of the woman also matches that given by a witness who spotted someone acting suspiciously outside Madeleine's bedroom on the night of her disappearance. The CCTV footage from the garage shows a young girl with a blonde, middle-aged woman and two men. The child apparently wanted to say something, which made staff suspicious.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id64.html
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:08 pm

FROM THE MCCANNFILES:

DAILY EXPRESS, AUGUST 23, 2007

Mrs Pamela Fenn
Expatriate Pamela Fenn, 81, who lives in the flat above where the McCanns were staying, was re-interviewed by detectives on Monday after it emerged that she might have fresh clues.

Widow Mrs Fenn told police that two nights before Madeleine went missing she heard a little girl in the apartment crying for over an hour. She said the toddler, who is believed to have been Madeleine, was crying "Daddy, daddy" constantly between 10.30 and 11.45pm. The crying had stopped when the parents returned to the apartment.

On the night Madeleine disappeared, Mrs Fenn also heard a child crying, but it was when Kate returned from a nearby restaurant to check on her daughter that she was first aware something was wrong.

A source close to Mrs Fenn said: "She often sits on the balcony at night and heard a commotion downstairs. She heard the woman who she now knows to be Kate crying 'We have let her down, we have let her down'. The source added: "She did not understand what was meant by this, but she asked if they wanted her to call the police. She was told it had already been done."

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id66.html
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 pm

FROM THE MCCANNFILES:

DAILY EXPRESS, JANUARY 2, 2008

Murat to be cleared soon?
The Daily Express reports that Robert Murat could be cleared tomorrow, as the investigation reaches a crucial deadline, police files on the case are finally set to be released.

Last night Murat's lawyer, Francisco Pagarette, claimed that detectives now believe he is innocent and are preparing to lift his arguido status tomorrow – exactly eight months after Madeleine vanished.

If they fail to clear him then, under Portuguese law, they must charge him or reveal what evidence they have against the 34-year-old father of one. Murat, who was declared an official suspect on May 14, is desperate to have the cloud of suspicion hanging over him removed, claiming his life has been destroyed by false allegations.

Mr Pagarette said: "After eight months that is the end of the inquiry, so a suspect must be accused or advised of the suspicions against them. The public prosecutor either accuses him or they don't. And that is what I am hoping will happen."

He added: "We have not had any communication from the police since August. Obviously they have already cleared Robert, it is just a question of the deadline." Theoretically, Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry, the only other arguidos, should also be charged, released or told what evidence exists against them tomorrow.

But it is believed the prosecutor has already granted an extension allowing a further period of secrecy for the investigation because of the "special complexity" of the case. Detectives are also due to re-interview Kate and Gerry in Britain and do not wish to make any decision about their status until that process is complete.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id56.html
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:44 pm

ADDITIONAL REFERENCES AND LINKS TO SUNDAY EXPRESS AND DAILY EXPRESS ARTICLES FROM THE MCCANNFILES:

Sunday Express, February 3, 2008
Police chief: We were too quick to make Gerry and Kate 'arguidos' Daily Mail ... Police 'too hasty' over McCanns
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id75.html

Daily Express, September 22, 2007
The Missing 7 Hours, but the Daily Express can reveal the timing device on the camera showed the picture had been ...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id71.html

Daily Express, Setember 5, 2007
The 'Sightings' ...when I saw her picture I knew the girl I had seen was Madeleine. I feel I should have done something...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id27.html

Daily Express, August 8. 2007
The Tongeren 'Sighting'....
We Didn't Kill Our Madeleine
By David Pilditch in Praia da Luz
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id69.html

Daily Express, May 6, 2007
Kate and Gerry attend the Mother's Day service at the church in Praia da ...
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id9.html

Daily Express, May 5, 2007
Pat Perkins/The e-mail
http://www.mccannfiles.com/id72.html
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 am

'MCCANNS ARE LYING' 24th September

Madeleine McCann

Monday September 24,2007
By David Pilditch and Martin Evans in Praia da Luz Have your say(24)
Portuguese police believe Gerry and Kate McCann are using friends to hide their role in killing Madeleine.

The Daily Express can reveal that their seven holiday friends may now be named as suspects as police believe they are hiding the truth about Madeleine's death.

The dramatic move comes as it was reported that former chief suspect Robert Murat is to be told he will not face charges over the four-year-old's disappearance. Ruling him out of the four-month investigation will leave Kate and Gerry McCann as the sole suspects. Last night police sources said the decision could have a devastating impact on the McCanns' defence.

In an astonishing twist, British expat Murat could be used as a key prosecution witness against the McCanns.
Almost the entire police case against Murat was built on evidence from the couple's holiday friends. Investigators believe the McCanns "cooked up a story" that Madeleine had been kidnapped to throw them off the trail and enlisted members of their party to provide them with an alibi. They also believe the group tried to turn the focus of the investigation towards Murat.

Yesterday it was revealed that police are questioning new witnesses who cast doubts over the evidence of members of the holiday group.

The McCanns and their friends told how they took turns to check on their children every 30 minutes as they ate at a tapas restaurant on May 3, the night Madeleine vanished.

But one Portuguese newspaper reported that employees at the restaurant insisted that only Dr Russell O'Brien, 36, and hospital consultant Matthew Oldfield, 37, left the dinner table that evening.

Another witness has come forward to refute the testimony of a third friend Jane Tanner, 36, who told police she saw a man carrying a child rushing from the Ocean Club complex at around 9.15pm on May 3.

Yesterday it was reported in Portugal that a new witness, an unnamed Irishman, told police he was in the same spot as Miss Tanner at the same time and saw no one.

He is the second independent witness to dispute her story and police sources said they viewed Miss Tanner's evidence as "unreliable" because of inconsistencies.

Officers are concerned that she apparently changed her version of the sighting.

She originally claimed she saw the suspect rushing towards the Baptista supermarket in Praia da Luz. She told police the child was wrapped in a blanket.

A second independent witness reported seeing a similar man with a child in a blanket near the town's church heading towards the beach. The route he took matches the alleged trail of death discovered by British sniffer dogs who detected the scent of a corpse.

But Miss Tanner has now told detectives that the man was heading in a different direction – towards Murat's home.
Police regard her account as one of a series given by the McCanns and their friends to convince them that Madeleine had been kidnapped.

Officers believe former hospital anaesthetist Kate, 39, killed her daughter by accidentally giving her an overdose of sleeping pills. They are working on the theory that consultant cardiologist Gerry, also 39, helped to dispose of Madeleine's body.

Police are awaiting results of toxicology tests carried out on bodily fluids with an 88 per cent match to Madeleine's DNA found in the boot of a hire car the couple rented 25 days after she went missing.

Dr O'Brien, along with Mr Oldfield's wife Rachael, 36, and another friend Dr Fiona Payne, 34, said they saw Murat near the McCanns' apartment on May 3 and their claim appeared to shatter Murat's alibi.

Detectives interrogated the McCanns at police headquarters in Portimao 17 days ago over the discrepancies. The couple were told separately later that day they were being named as suspects or arguidos.

Last night another member of the McCanns' holiday party was reported to have stepped into the mystery. The move came after it was revealed that police in Portugal were focusing their investigation on a "lost seven hours" on the day Madeleine disappeared.

Now Dr Payne's husband – medical researcher David, 41 – has claimed he saw Madeleine being put to bed when he visited the McCann flat at 7pm.

Before his new testimony, police sources admitted they could not confirm the whereabouts of Kate and Madeleine after 1.29pm that day.

Kate's movements were said to be unaccounted for until she sat down to have dinner with Gerry and their friends at around 8.40pm. But the McCanns believe Mr Payne's testimony will be crucial in proving their innocence.

That would leave just an hour and a half in which they were supposed to have killed their daughter and disposed of her body.

But last night a source in Portugal said police were viewing alibis provided by the McCanns' friends with suspicion. They are convinced that some or all of them may have known what happened to Madeleine and may have helped to cover up her death.

The source said police had not ruled out the possibility of naming them all as suspects – and they could face being charged as accessories.

The source said: "It has long been considered a number of people may have been involved in this unfortunate case."
In Portugal yesterday it was revealed that detectives have seized a British police manual from the McCanns.

Officers believe the book could be used as a key piece of evidence in building a case against them.

A Portuguese police source said: "It is certainly not the sort of reading material you would expect a couple to take on a relaxing family holiday."
To my critics
bjr

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 am

MADDY: MAFIA FEAR Tuesday 16th October, 2007

Chilean psychic Isabel Avila says Maddy "is in Portugal and in bad condition."

Tuesday October 16,2007
By David Pilditch in Praia da Luz and Tom Whitehead in London Have your say(411)

MADELEINE McCann may have been kidnapped by an international paedophile network linked to Russia and lawless former Soviet states.

These countries are at the centre of a vile industry that makes millions of pounds from horrific films and pictures of children being sexually abused.

A leading expert on paedophile crime told the Daily Express yesterday: "They especially target blonde children and there are strong grounds to believe that Madeleine might well be a victim.

"These people are totally unscrupulous and the countries where they operate are beyond the reach of police or the law.

"There are huge profits being made from child pornography. I have had to watch some of the films in the course of my work and they are disgusting beyond belief."

Contacts in major Western countries, including the US, Britain and Germany, use Russian mafia gangs to obtain photographs and films that cannot be made elsewhere.

they are disgusting beyond belief

The revelation comes after detectives smashed Portugal's biggest child-sex ring but failed to establish any connection with Madeleine.

Paulo Rebelo, the new head of the inquiry, has ordered his hand-picked team of detectives to target online child sex rings.

Investigators are now probing a sighting of a blonde-haired woman seen acting suspiciously outside the holiday apartment from where Madeleine disappeared on May 3.

A British woman who owns a local restaurant told police she spotted the suspect – dressed in a light-coloured trench coat – peering into the window of Madeleine's bedroom shortly before 10pm that night.

The witness was driving her car past the Ocean Club complex in Praia da Luz when she saw the woman – who turned away after being caught in her headlights.

The restaurant owner gave a detailed statement to Portuguese detectives. It is understood the sighting was dismissed by investigators who were convinced Madeleine had not been abducted and had died inside the apartment.

But police are set to look into it again as the investigation gains new intensity. Madeleine's parents, Kate and Gerry, insist their daughter was snatched from her bed as they dined nearby with friends.

They believe Madeleine's abductors may have been watching the apartment for up to six days.

Mr Rebelo has re-opened the line of inquiry that Madeleine could have been taken by a sexual predator. One theory being investigated is that the four-year-old was snatched by a couple – as a woman would provide perfect cover for the crime. In the days after the youngster vanished a series of sightings were reported of a girl who matched Madeleine's description with a man and a blonde-haired woman.

Detectives are expected to now investigate whether the pair may have been working for a Russian-based network which set out to snatch a little blonde child to order.

The Algarve has a growing Russian community largely made up of migrant workers – many of them in the country illegally – who flood the region to work in bars and hotels. Detectives have interviewed Russian ex-pats and asked if they were aware of a "suspicious couple" in the area at the time Madeleine disappeared.

It is thought the network is operating in Portugal because of its lax sex offence laws. Portugal is one of only two countries in Europe without a sex offenders' register.

Detectives searching for Madeleine have been in contact with Russian counterparts who have supplied a list of known sex offenders who live in the Algarve or travel to the region.

Russian police have also been asked to scan through tens of thousands of images looking for Madeleine.

The British-based Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, which is spearheading the fight against global internet paedophile rings, has also been liaising with Portuguese police.

In the days after Madeleine disappeared two experts from the organisation arrived in Praia da Luz to help the investigation.

Child trafficking has become a massive business in lawless former Soviet bloc countries such as Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan.

A source said: "Madeleine is a pretty blonde child who unfortunately fits the profile of these evil perverts. The idea that Madeleine has been snatched by one of these gangs is entirely plausible."

After Madeleine disappeared, Russian computer expert Sergey Malinka, 22, was questioned by detectives and his laptops and hard drives were seized.

He was quizzed as a witness after he was found to be linked to Robert Murat – the British ex-pat who was the first formal suspect.

Malinka was never accused of any wrongdoing and Murat, 33, looks set to be officially cleared by detectives.
To my critics
bjr

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:58 am

I KNOW FOR SURE WHO SNATCHED MADELEINE, SAYS TOP INVESTIGATOR

Wednesday June 13,2007
By David Pilditch
A SPANISH investigative journalist claimed yesterday he was "100 per cent certain" he knew the identity of Madeleine McCann's kidnapper.

Antonio Toscano, 36, insisted the four-year-old was snatched by a mysterious criminal mastermind who belongs to an international paedophile ring.

He claims the shadowy figure, himself a convicted paedophile, snatched Madeleine to order on the instructions of two other people.

Toscano insists he knows the full name of the pervert – nicknamed The Frenchman – and has tried to pass on the information to senior officers investigating Madeleine's disappearance. He says he has still not been questioned by Portuguese police 12 days after he first alerted them.

But Madeleine's parents say Toscano refuses to answer any questions they put to him.

Last night Kate and Gerry McCann returned to Portugal from Morocco where they had been raising awareness of Madeleine's disappearance.

They were said to be "driven up the wall" by Toscano's claims.

Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "As soon as Mr Toscano contacted us via an intermediary we immediately spoke to him. At every stage Mr Toscano declined to provide a name for the suspect he believed was responsible for Madeleine's abduction.

"This was both frustrating and potentially hurtful to Gerry and Kate. They were upset that this man appeared to be trying to give us important information but when asked the critical questions declined to do so."

But yesterday Toscano told the Daily Express how he began investigating The Frenchman after receiving a tip-off from a mutual associate a week after Madeleine was taken from her family's holiday apartment in the Algarve.

The caller told him he had bumped into the man in Seville, Spain, just a two-hour drive from the Portuguese border, a week before Madeleine was snatched in Praia da Luz on May 3.

The man told him he was heading to the Algarve to meet friends.

Toscano spent two weeks investigating the call but discovered the man has disappeared.

Toscano agreed to meet the Daily Express in a restaurant in Seville yesterday. He said: "I am 100 per cent certain this is the man who kidnapped Madeleine McCann.

"I have spoken to the police in Spain and Portugal but they have still not checked out the information.

"The Portuguese police said they did not want me to tell them the name over the phone but they have not sent anyone to interview me.

"All I want to do is meet the police and tell them what I know. I am prepared to do this immediately.

"I am fully aware that if I was not 100 per cent right the information I have revealed would be very upsetting to Madeleine's family but I am certain that I am.

"I believe she is alive and is probably being held in Portugal. The sooner this is investigated the better the chances of a good conclusion to this sad story. I just want the little girl to be returned safely to her family."

Toscano is a former Spanish TV reporter who specialises in child abduction cases. His claims were first published last week in respected Spanish daily newspaper El Mundo.

He said: "I have been successful in 14 of 15 cases I have investigated. Unfortunately in the 15th case the girl was found dead.

"I would offer my services to the McCanns if they asked me. I don't want to make any money out of it. I would be willing to do it for free."

Toscano revealed he first met The Frenchman in January 2003 while ­carrying out an undercover investigation on behalf of a private client. He told how they met at a private house close to the French border in Germany after infiltrating a Euro­pean paedophile network. He said he was driven to the address in a vehicle with blacked-out windows.

The Frenchman offered to sell him for £6,000 an illegal 10-minute video of children between the ages of five and 12 being raped and tortured.

He did not buy the horror movie but returned to the property 10 days later when the man showed him a 30-minute video of children from all around the world being abused.

Toscano said he made his excuses and left. He said: "I was invited to a meeting with him posing as someone who wanted to buy child pornography videos. As soon as I met him I did not like him. He tried to sell me the most vile illegal pornography. He was very cold. I found him creepy.

"But he is meticulous and very businesslike. He is known as someone who never leaves a trace.

"Madeleine is not the first child he has taken to order. I don't think he will have delivered her to the people who hired him yet. He would normally lie low for one to two months until all the fuss dies down. That is why I think Madeleine is still alive.

"He kidnaps to order. People pay him up to ┬ú200,000 to obtain a child. It could be people in power, politicians – anyone who could afford to pay this sort of money."

Toscano said The Frenchman was white, thinly built and around 5ft 7in tall. He has blond short hair and is in his late 40s and has three known convictions for paedophile offences.

Toscano insists he has tried in vain to make contact with Portuguese police. But police chief Olegario Sousa said: "We want to talk with him and if he came to Portugal I would set up an immediate meeting."

The agony of Madeleine's parents has been inten­sified by a 2,000-signature internet petition demanding a social services investigation into their "neglect" in leaving their young children unattended in a hotel room.
Last edited by KazLux on Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:48 am

Monday July 16,2007
By Matt Drake
THE prime suspect in the abduction of Madeleine McCann last night revealed he has no sympathy for her parents.

As expatriate Robert Murat challenged detectives to charge him or clear his name, he defiantly declared: "All I am bothered about is myself."

He said his life has been destroyed by allegations that he kidnapped the four-year-old and is terrified his nightmare will continue for years unless Madeleine is found alive soon.

Murat, 33, even astonishingly claimed that he believes more people are now praying for police to admit he is innocent than for Madeleine's safe return.

Last week the Briton underwent four days of intense interrogation by Port­uguese police over contradictions in the alibi he gave for the night Madeleine vanished from the family's holiday complex at Praia da Luz on the Algarve.

Murat is now preparing for further interrogation next week following the return of vital DNA evidence.

Speaking at his villa, Casa Liliana, 100 yards from where the toddler was snatched on May 3, the former estate agent admitted he has considered running away but has decided to see his ordeal through for the sake of his family.

He said: "I have not thought about Gerry and Kate McCann or what they are going through because all I am bothered about is myself and what is going to happen to me, not them.

"I can't carry on living like this, no human being could. I am an innocent man. I am not a paedophile or any of the other things I have been called. I have done nothing wrong.

"I wake up with this nightmare every morning and I go to bed with it every night. This has had a terrible effect on my family both here in Portugal and back in Britain.

"I am the only suspect and it could take years for them to release me from the investigation. I was questioned all last week but it's still far from certain what is going to happen.

"They have to find enough evidence to present a judge with a case, and it appears they do not have enough information to do that.

"If they let me go it will look like they have no idea and they do not want to do that. There is a huge difference in the mentality of the Portuguese police and detectives in the UK.

"When anything bad happens in Portugal people disappear, they run and they hide and now I understand why they do it.

"I have thought about it but it would not be fair on my family. The law here dates back to the days of fascism and it shows. I am putting my life at risk just by speaking like this.

"At the start of this, people were praying for the little girl to be found but now those same people are wanting me to be cleared. They are thinking about me and my nightmare. The attention is on me.

"I have a four-year-old daughter but I have not been able to see her while all this has been going on.

"My ex-wife Dawn also has a son who I have brought up like my own. Last year his lung collapsed and this year he needs to have another operation. It hurts me that I cannot be there for him.

"The police are just going over the same ground over and over again and I am not even allowed to tell my side of the story. It makes me so angry I want to punch something. Certain people think I should be in prison but the police obviously cannot find enough evidence to do that, so why should I be made to live like this? I am in a corner and I cannot defend myself."

Looking gaunt and pale, Murat said he has tried to lead a normal life but found it almost impossible because he is under constant police surveillance.

He added: "I refuse to hide myself away from the world but my fate is in the hands of the police. I can see no light at the end of the tunnel."

Yesterday Madeleine's mother, Kate, 38, returned to Britain for the first time since her daughter vanished 73 days ago.

She flew back to join her husband, Gerry, who is in the UK meeting child abduction experts.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:54 am

MADELEINE: NOW PSYCHICS ARE PROBED

Friday June 1,2007
By David Piditch and Matt Drake in Praia da Luz Have your say(8)
Portuguese detectives struggling to solve the abduction of Madeleine McCann have resorted to investigating visions and "sightings" of the youngster reported by psychics.

Officers in the Algarve have compiled two, three-inch thick dossiers containing e-mails and messages from clairvoyants who are convinced they know the location of the missing four-year-old girl.

The admission by the judicial police is set to attract further criticism over the handling of the month-long investigation.

Several psychics have suggested that the child was smuggled into Spain on the night she went missing.

Yesterday, the detective leading the hunt, Chief Inspector Olegario Sousa, said he could not rule out the possibility that Madeleine's captor will make contact through encrypted messages giving coded details about where to find the
little girl.

Asked about the threat of attracting hoaxers, Mr Sousa replied: "If there are indications there is enough to follow, we will go. If there aren't, we cannot do anything."

If there are indications there is enough to follow, we will go. If there aren't, we cannot do anything
Chief Inspector Olegario Sousa

Mr Sousa admitted that some of the descriptions were as vague as dreams about a man in a house with trees and a road.

However, he said he did not believe they had heard from Madeleine's abductor yet.

A police spokesman confirmed the visions – which are reported every day – came from a mix of Portuguese and British sources.

The use of psychic investigators is a method that has been used many times before, including in famous cases such as the Yorkshire Ripper, the disappearance of teenager Milly Dowler and a missing girl in the US called Leah Freeman.

Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry McCann flew to Madrid last night on the latest leg of their campaign to find their daughter.

Heartbroken Kate told how the couple faced fresh torment every time they are forced to leave their two-year-old twins Sean and Amelie behind.

The 38-year-old GP said: "Leaving them is really hard. From a selfish point of view we would have liked to have had them with us as a comfort but I am sure it is not the best thing for them." The Spanish visit comes exactly four weeks since Madeleine was snatched from her bed in a holiday complex at Praia da Luz.

The McCanns want to raise the issue of child abduction as well as appeal for information about their daughter.

The couple are planning visits to Berlin, Amsterdam and Morocco over the next week.

The cost of the travelling will be paid for by the Find Madeleine fund, which has so far raised £374,000.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:55 am

MADDY SUSPECT: I'M A SCAPEGOAT
Wednesday May 16,2007
By David Piditch and Matt Drake in Praia da Luz

MADDY suspect Robert Murat has spoken for the first time since he was questioned by Portuguese police and claimed: "I'm a scapegoat."

Former property developer Robert Murat spoke out as the missing four-year-old's family, friends and colleagues launched a fund, http://www.findmadeleine.com, to help pay for the rising costs of the search.

"This fund will be a vehicle to help our family get our darling wee niece back," the girl's uncle John McCann told a news conference.

Former England rugby union captain Martin Johnson lent his support, saying: "As a parent, as a father, it really does hit home."

Mr Murat, who was quizzed by detectives for 12 hours about Madeleine - who was snatched from her bed 13 days ago - said: "This has ruined my life and has made things very difficult for my family here and in Britain.

"The only way I will survive this is if they catch Madeleine's abductor.

"I have been made a scapegoat for something I did not do."

His outburst came as Prime Minister Gordon Brown has offered "practical help" in the search for Madeleine.

The offer was disclosed by Madeline's aunt, Philomena McCann, as she visited Westminster today to lobby MPs for their support.

Mrs McCann, who is from Glasgow, and other family members are due to meet John Prescott, the Deputy Prime Minister, almost two weeks after her disappearance.

Standing in for Tony Blair at Prime Minister's Questions today, Mr Prescott said: "I'm sure that the thoughts of the whole House will be with them at this terrible time."

Shadow foreign secretary William Hague said: "May I echo what you've said about Madeleine McCann and her family - and their terrible worries at this time.

"In all parts of this House and throughout the nation, people will be praying for the safe return of this little girl."

Many MPs wore yellow ribbons that have become a symbol of hope for the missing four-year-old.

Portuguese police said yesterday they did not have enough evidence to formally arrest or charge Murat.

A one-eyed estate agent, former car salesman and turkey farm worker, Murat is a well-known figure among the British expat community in the Algarve.

But following a search of Murat's home just 100 yards from where Madeleine was snatched, Portuguese media reported how computers were seized which were said to contain images of "sexual violence" from paedophile websites.

It also emerged that Murat was caught up in a bizarre love triangle involving his girlfriend Michaela Wulczuch and her estranged Portuguese husband Luis Antonio. The three lived in a cramped flat with Michaela and Luis Antonio's eight-year-old daughter.

Murat's affair with Ms Wulczuch was said to be one of the reasons behind his ­subsequent divorce from wife Dawn.
Ms Wulczuch still lives with her estranged husband and their daughter.

And yesterday it emerged that Ms Wulczuch and her husband, a pool maintenance man, have been questioned over Maddy's disappearance.

Over the past six months, the three adults and Ms Wulczuch's daughter have often shared the same cramped apartment in nearby Lagos. Friends say Murat and Ms Wulczuch are lovers.

The flat was also examined by forensic teams on Monday, when police searched the apartment in Praia da Luz where Murat lives with his mother.

Murat worked for estate agents Remax and Portuguese Homes. He and Ms Wulczuch started their own company called Romigen Property.

Veronica Fennell, 46, who worked with Murat and Ms Wulczuch at Remax, said: "Robert was always a bit of a 'try-hard' – he wanted to be the focus of attention.

"We had coffee together on Sunday. He told me he had been working as a translator for the police and had signed a secrecy agreement.

"The subject of Madeleine came up and we discussed the various theories. Robert has not been around Praia da Luz much recently but he does pop back to see his mother quite a lot. He has had several business ventures which have not come to much.

"He is not much of an estate agent or even translator. When we needed things translated at Remax I used to do it and not Robert because I'm not sure he was up to scratch. That's what surprised me about him saying he was a police translator."

She added: "Michaela lives with Luis Antonio and their eight-year-old daughter. But I think they are just staying together for the sake of the child.

"Everyone knows Robert and Michaela are together. It is unspoken, unofficial, but widely known. They met at work in about March 2005 and have been seeing each other for around 14 months.

"It was obvious at work that they had become more than just friends. They were quite open about it and would spent time together, spend time in a car together and go home together. They were affectionate around others. I never see him around Luis much but they get on fine."

Jamie Hilario, 39, another Remax colleague, said: "He was definitely an oddball. But after the separation people became a bit wary of him.

"I don't think anybody thought he would harm anyone but I think maybe people's perceptions of him changed a little bit."

As police looking for Madeleine searched five houses yesterday after obtaining search warrants, Murat's uncle Ralph Eveleigh insisted the suspect and his mother were together in their villa in Praia da Luz when the four-year-old vanished.

Mr Eveleigh said: "His mother says that on the night the kid disappeared they were both in the house together all night.

"The first thing he knew was when his sister phoned up and said, 'Have you seen what is happening in Praia da Luz?'

"That is definite, from his mother."

During the searches forensic officers seized material belonging to Murat from at least two of the five houses.

It is believed items were also taken from the home of Michaela Wulczuch after ­officers swooped on the apartment she shares with her husband at 8am on Monday.

Chief Insp Olegario Sousa said the searches followed "information collection" over the weekend which had strengthened one of the lines of the investigation.

Asked why Murat had been released, Mr Sousa said: "We are not saying there is no evidence against this man, we are just ­saying there is not enough."
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 am

WEARING A RIBBON FOR MADDY
Wednesday May 23,2007

THE campaign to find Madeleine McCann was gathering new momentum yesterday with a host of celebrities wearing her symbolic yellow ribbon.

Heading the star cast was footballer David Beckham, as he posed for pictures with leading actress Helen Mirren at the Greatest Britons 2007 awards in London.

In Portugal, where Madeleine disappeared, yellow symbolises hope and the ribbon was also worn with pride by James Bond star Daniel Craig at the Cannes Film Festival.

The toddler's parents are hoping the high profile support will help keep their daughter's plight in the public consciousness.

The couple said yesterday they refused to give up hope that their four-year-old daughter will return to them. But police in Portugal admitted their chances of finding Madeleine alive were fading.

Nearly three weeks after Madeleine disappeared, they have failed to reveal a single confirmed sighting of the youngster. The search in Portugal has now been scaled down and just 30 officers are still involved in the investigation.

But Madeleine's parents overcame their despair and vowed to step up the fight to find her. They said they would "travel wherever is necessary" to promote their campaign. They were "nowhere near ready" to return to their home in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Mr McCann urged holidaymakers to respond to the unprecedented appeal in the UK to send photographs to a special website. Police have asked visitors to Praia da Luz to send any pictures that include strangers in the background and which may help identify a suspect.

Mr McCann was reunited with his GP wife yesterday after a brief visit home. Clutching Kate's hand, he spoke of the heartbreaking journey. Standing only yards from the apartment where Madeleine was snatched, he said: "It was extremely difficult to leave here without Kate. When I went into Rothley I knew we should have been coming home as a family of five."

Mrs McCann said: "It was moving for me to see Gerry in Rothley. It emphasised how much support we have got there and everywhere. It really helps.

"Gerry told me about the overwhelming support he received during his visit home. The love and messages he received are very moving.

"Both of us are very grateful for all the support. It gives us strength and keeps us focused on the positive."

The couple said they wanted the search for Madeleine to extend "far and wide" as it is now believed their daughter may have been smuggled out of Portugal.

Gerry said: "We will travel wherever is necessary to ensure people across Europe recognise Madeleine's picture and encourage them to come forward with information."

The McCanns' first journey will take place today. Gerry said: "Both of us have taken a great deal of strength from our faiths. We want to visit the shrine in Fatima to pray for Madeleine's return to us."

Mr McCann also gave details of how money from the fund will be spent. He said: "There will be significant legal expenses as a legal team has come in to advise us.

"That has lifted a great burden from our shoulders. And we will fund the website which is a great vehicle for information regarding Madeleine's disappearance."

Gerry said the family had taken advice and had decided not to hire a private detective.

He added: "The thrust of the investigation will be that being run by the Portuguese with the assistance of the British police.

"Our family strongly believe that somebody in the public holds a piece of information. That is why we have campaigned so vigorously to make sure her disappearance is publicised as much as possible."

Gerry went on: "We don't know if Madeleine is in Portugal. We have to consider the possibility she has crossed borders. We are spreading the net far and wide.

"We are hopeful that the latest appeal will lead to key information, whether it comes from Portugal, or the UK or further afield. We are concentrating on Continental Europe."

Mr McCann refused to say whether he had met Robert Murat, 33, the Briton questioned by police as a suspect.

He said: "I hope everyone treats suspects the way we would hope to be treated. That is presumed innocent until charged, arrested or convicted."

Mr McCann revealed he visited the Leicester-based police incident room during his trip home.
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Postby KazLux » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:58 am

POPE'S BLESSING FOR A MUM IN TORMENT

Kate McCann greets the Pope yesterday

Thursday May 31,2007
IT should have been their proudest day. Instead it was the most poignant.

Kate and Gerry McCann met the Pope at the Vatican yesterday in the latest step of their search for daughter Madeleine.

During the emotional meeting Pope Benedict XVI took hold of Mrs McCann's hand and offered tender words of comfort and prayers. He also blessed pictures of Madeleine and her two-year-old twin brother and sister, Sean and Amelie.

Gerry squeezed Kate's shoulder as she thanked Pope Benedict. The couple then kissed the sacred ring on the Pope's finger.

But it was a butterfly which landed on a yellow ribbon in Mrs McCann's hair which brought a surreal calm. It flew off but came back again to settle on her lapel.

Clarence Mitchell, a family spokesman for the McCanns, said: "It is a sign that Madeleine was with us. It's a good omen."

The couple were among more than 35,000 pilgrims who gathered in St Peter's Square for the Pope's weekly audience. They were given front row seats in front of the Basilica after the meeting was set up by Roman Catholic church officials in Britain.

Afterwards Mrs McCann, a part-time GP, said: "He told us he would pray for us and our family and said he would continue to pray for Madeleine's safe return to us."

Reflecting on the butterfly, she said: "It was really strange but lovely, it was like a symbol of hope."

The couple described their trip to Rome as "absolutely fantastic". They told how they had been warmly received by the British ambassador of the Holy See and his staff.

Among them was Monseigneur Charlie Burns, a Glaswegian who has been in Rome for 50 years and has close links to the embassy. A source of strength for the couple, he patted them on the back when the prayers referred to children.

Mr McCann said: "He gave us rosaries and told us, 'this will remind you that I am praying for you every day'. That prayer was very tactful, anyone could take anything they chose from it and it was very important for us." Mrs McCann added: "Charlie was lovely. Everyone at the embassy almost felt like family by the time we left."

The McCanns have relied heavily on their faith throughout their 28 day ordeal and yesterday described their "mixed emotions" after leaving Portugal for the first time together to jet into Rome.

Mr McCann, a consultant cardiologist, said: "In ordinary circumstances of course it would be the highlight of any Catholic to come and meet the Pope. Of course it is saddened with the very marked realisation that our daughter is still missing. It was more personal than I could ever have imagined.

"There was recognition when he looked at the photograph. His touch, words and thoughts were more tender than I could have ever thought."

Mr McCann said the goodness generated by "one evil act" had restored his faith. "We know many people both here and elsewhere are praying for our daughter and that helps us sustain our belief that we can get her back safely," he said.

Mrs McCann agreed: "It was very emotional but also a very positive experience. It's been very important to us."

Asked about her conversation with the pontiff, Mrs McCann said: "He was very kind and sincere. I thanked him first of all for letting us meet him and I thanked him for his prayers."

She added: "It helped us tremendously. It can only make us stronger and lift us up more."

Holding up a poster of Madeleine written in Italian, Mr McCann described the agony of not knowing where their daughter is being held.

"We're still in the middle of a race and we do not know how long it is going to be," he said.

"I do not know how we will have changed but I think it is fair to say we will never be the same again."

Pope Benedict approached the couple at the end of his audience which was held in the open air and began in blazing
sunshine but ended in a brief shower.

As the couple were escorted away, a group of pilgrims from Britain who were sat behind them broke into spontaneous applause.

Trevor Kavanagh, from Merton, South-west London, said: "Our hearts really do go out to them. We knew they were going to be here as we saw it on the news.

"It must be really hard for them but they will draw great strength and inspiration from their meeting with the Pope and their strong faith has been obvious from the start and that will also help them."

Last night Papal spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said of the encounter: "It was a gesture of spiritual closeness, of prayer and of particular attention to this child and the parents of all missing children.

"It was a very significant act of support to Madeleine's parents, to the search for her and in the fight against abductions."

During the 90-minute audience, the Pope offered a "special blessing to children everywhere".

His words proved too much for the McCanns who wiped back the tears with their heads bowed. They were dressed in sombre dark suits which had been bought for the meeting.

Mrs McCann wore yellow and green ribbons in her hair – a symbol of hope in Portugal.

The couple flew in from the Algarve in a 12-seater Gulfstream jet belonging to retail tycoon Sir Philip Green.

Last night they flew back to the holiday resort of Praia da Luz where Madeleine was snatched on May 3.

They were re-united with the twins who were considered too young to make the trip and were looked after by close relatives.

Click HERE to go to the Madeleine website
Pê jó-ta! Pê jó-ta!
KazLux
On Parole

Next

Return to Maddy - Reference Forum and Investigations