Earthquake in Iceland

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

Re: Earthquake in Iceland

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:29 pm

nurgis wrote:Hi all
I am ok. The quake was about 50 km south of Reykjavik
You can see for yourselves as I give you the link
http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volc ... /#view=map
Minor injuries. Buildings, roads and bridges damaged.
Everything shook here in my studio....
Will keep you informed
Thanks for caring Cushty

And Thanks Everyone
I did not realise there was a thread going. Please delete mine.

Well, we can say the earth moved for us today. About 20 people are injured but not seriously. Damage to buildings in the affected area, Selfoss, Hveragerdi, Eyrabakki and Stokkseyri is wry serious. Our houses are made to take a quake upto 7 on Richter scale. So this was close. The major roads to the south from Reykjavik are closed due to damage and so are few bridges.
People can not stay in their houses and are in tents and patients from hospitals have some been driven to Reykjavik.
Here in Reykjavik we are OK. The quake was long and at the end I was seriously thinking of ducking under the table.
There have been many quakes every second and people are a bit scared and uneasy in the area.
So far so good. Thank you for caring I will keep you up dated.

glad your ok nurgis.....i see your internet connection survived too, thanks for the update.....relieved to hear no fatalities
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Plath » Thu May 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Glad to hear you are O.K. nurgis. Know what that earthmoving experience feels like. Scary. Take care.
Plath
Been Cautioned

Postby LA Lady » Thu May 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi Nurgis,

Glad you're okay. You might have a few after shocks - nothing like the original though. Like Roisin stated, remove glass objects and stay away from windows if the ground shakes again. Doorways are good.

Wamest wishes to you from L.A.
George Orwell - a visionary
LA Lady
Local Lag

Postby perrito » Thu May 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Very happy to hear you are okay Nurgis.

You can see all details of the earthquake here

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/ens

I subscribe to the above site, it is free, and they send you details of all earthquakes around the world.
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby justaperson » Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Dear Nurgis, thinking of you and hoping for the best.
Looks like we are all getting a ration of danger these days. I always liked that saying of Gorbachev, "Our common European home" and now it stretches rather wider - we are all involved. Amazing we can be connected like this, via concern for a little girl, also far away...
justaperson
New In Town

Postby fedrules » Thu May 29, 2008 8:40 pm

I have tried to persuade my OH to go to Iceland,but he always reckons it's too expensive.Remember when Icelandic fishing fleet rescued people during a volcanic eruption.Ages ago.Must've been in the 70s.Anyone else remember that?
fedrules
Mafia Boss

Postby cushty » Thu May 29, 2008 8:49 pm

fedrules wrote:I have tried to persuade my OH to go to Iceland,but he always reckons it's too expensive.Remember when Icelandic fishing fleet rescued people during a volcanic eruption.Ages ago.Must've been in the 70s.Anyone else remember that?

that's when the new island emerged from the deeps - Sertsey, or something like it

I remember it well

(I remember the cod war too, but won't mention it in case nurgis is listening :wink: )
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby angel wings » Thu May 29, 2008 8:52 pm

Glad you are ok Nurgis.
We all run outside when this happens.Do you??
angel wings
New In Town

Postby fedrules » Thu May 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Oh yes the cod war,now you remind me so do I. :wink:
fedrules
Mafia Boss

Postby HugoORigo » Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Best wishes to all posters in Iceland.

Iceland is a fascinating country and the people are great. Had a wonderful family holiday there this time last year and would love to go back. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Hope there were no casualties.
HugoORigo
New In Town

Postby nurgis » Thu May 29, 2008 9:30 pm

Hi all and thank you for your kind thoughts
Everything is quiet here at the moment and people are starting to relax. Those who have houses that got damaged can not return to their home and will stay in tents or can coem to Reykjavik to stay in lodgings. Luckily no one dyed and so far only minor injury of ca. 20 people. Few farm animals died when the out-houses colapsed. It is known that on one farm all buildings are damaged beyond repare and many houses in the nearby villages. Many people seem to have lost everything. They are still experiencing
afterchocks and are waiting for one of a reasonable size ca. 4-5 on Richter to come. Not much sleep tonight for many people.
People have been asked not to climp mountains in the area nor close to Reykjavik. And as most of the police force in Reykjavik has been shipped to the affected area we, the citizens of Reykjavik, where asked to be on our best behaviour tonight :shock:
I thought that was so cute :lol:
We are only ca. 300,000 inhabitans and half are in Reykjavik and few thousand live in the affected area. The authorities are checking all the houses in the four villages and then there is a very large area of summerhouses wich must be check as well.
We will know more tomorrow.
Luckily we have sun and mild weather wich makes everything easier. Our valcano Hekla, that is in the area, is not to be expected to erupt eventhough she has been ready for few years now. Fingers crossed. But no one really knows what is happening and everything is on red alert. I hope we will all have a quiet night.
Write more later :wink:
Again thank you all for your compassion
Nurgis
NO more ice please and justice for Maddie
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby rammy » Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Nurgis, you and your country have our thoughts with you...
rammy
First Time Offender

Postby nurgis » Thu May 29, 2008 9:38 pm

cushty wrote:
fedrules wrote:I have tried to persuade my OH to go to Iceland,but he always reckons it's too expensive.Remember when Icelandic fishing fleet rescued people during a volcanic eruption.Ages ago.Must've been in the 70s.Anyone else remember that?

that's when the new island emerged from the deeps - Sertsey, or something like it

I remember it well

(I remember the cod war too, but won't mention it in case nurgis is listening :wink: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was that the only time the great British Navy was beaten?? Oh.. no sorry I got it all wrong.
They just left.....didn't they ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No hard feelings Cushty :happy3:
nurgis
Local Lag

Postby cushty » Thu May 29, 2008 9:39 pm

nurgis wrote:
cushty wrote:

I remember it well

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was that the only time the great British Navy was beaten?? Oh.. no sorry I got it all wrong.
They just left.....didn't they ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No hard feelings Cushty :happy3:

i'm vegetarian Nurgis, so you are welcome to all your cod, and anything else with fins too
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby nurgis » Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Thank you all for your warm regards.
As I didn't realize that there was already another thread on the same subject I think we should close this one and join
the reat of the gang on the otherone.
Thank you again all for your kind thoughts. It was pretty scary here in Reykjavik but nothing like the people in the affected area
whent through and must face.
Love to all
Nurgis
nurgis
Local Lag

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about