My Favourite Car

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

Re: My Favourite Car

Postby Banshee » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:57 pm

toots wrote:
jeangenie wrote:A black 1800 Vauxhall Cavalier with dark tinted windows. Looked like the Mafia staff car and sounded like a Maserati. Ate up petrol.
Unfortunately a car thief rather liked the look of her as well and pinched her.

got one of those restored recently. was an sri. only did about 15 mile to the gallon!!!!!!!!

I sold my old 1.8 Cesaro yesterday for the same reason ... just too much of a guzzler ... am now driving a nippy wee Swift.
"Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel."
Che Guevara
Banshee
Suspect

Postby lovemedo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:07 pm

I love my car: a peugeot 206 convertible. all in black. can't wait til spring to open the roof.
swimming on the river rhine!
lovemedo
Local Lag

Postby apricot » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:17 am

I love my Renault Megan . It has the most comfortable ride and can seat seven adults with plenty of boot space. The seats are the most supportive I have had in a car for my back pain.
apricot
New In Town

Postby mumbles » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:11 pm

My favouite car was my first... a beat up old mini that I was lovingly restoring and great for driving around London because you could turn on a 6 pence and park it anywhere ... and then I crashed it. :shock:
It was so old... that to switch the headlights on you had to press a button near to the peddles with your foot... but I loved my baby! :cry:

Since she departed :( (many moons ago)... I've driven all sorts.

Since I moved to Spain I've had a Nissan Terrano (special edition)... and I love it.
She's black and shiny and a real beast.... and although she's over 9 years old now she's still looking good. :D

I'm really tempted to get another mini tho........................ :wink:
mumbles
You're Nicked

Postby charlesp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Favourite buzz: 1968 Mini Cooper S 1275. Sheer magic, but you had to be young.

Most reliable:1978 Ford Fiesta - finally packed up after 180,000 which was great then.

Best driver experience: BMW 5 series, which I finally blew up last year.

Absolute dog for reliability - my current 110 BHP Peugeot 307 2.0 HDI. Oh dear.
charlesp
You're Nicked

Postby charlesp » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:14 am

And on the subject of the Peugeot 307, get this....

After 18 days of ownership of this 4 year old vehicle (too mean to buy a new one) the engine warning system came up with 'Unblock Diesel Filter'. Oh, well, I thought, that can't be too expensive, and toddled off to take the advice of my prospective son-in-law who is workshop manager of a car repair business locally.

He hooked it up to the Snap-On code reader and told me - main dealer job - probably the diesel particulate filter.

These diesels are very clean, so clean I pay a lower rate for my tax disc.

Main dealer changed particulate filter, car dealer eventually agreed to pay the £500.00 bill (!)

I now learn they do this by adding a tiny dose of additive to the tank every time I fill up, from a reservoir that gets topped up at 50,000 miles. This additive makes the soot from the exhaust easier to burn. That soot is collected in a ceramic filter, and every now and again is 'regenerated'.

It does this by injecting a little more diesel into the exhaust (or something close to that at any rate) and it does this when it detects that you're doing more than about 60 MPH for more than 6 minutes. Now hang on a minute here, I'm thinking, there's no opportunity round here to do that. And there's no opportunity to do that in lots of places.

The AA has a problem with this - there's even a bit on their website that suggests that diesels with this system may not be suitable for your (ie my) style of driving or travel habits.

Same light came on 5 weeks after the filter was changed - and the main dealers asked me to 'drop in for a chat'. Long and short of it is that I have bought a vehicle that inherently is unsuited to short town trips, and I'm advised to take it for a blast up the dual carriageway every week. How exactly is this helping to preserve the evironment.

Don't on any account buy a Peugeot diesel of that vintage.
charlesp
You're Nicked

Postby jeangenie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:04 am

Charlesp - I had a Rover 400- again pre-owned -if I could afford new I wouldn't. [let someone else sort out the bits they've forgotten to put on at the factory]
Anyway couple of weeks after buying it the engine warning light came on the dash -took it into the dealer. Day later I picked it up and asked what had been wrong with it.

Not a word of a lie - mechanic said he'd disabled the warning light :shock:

Turned out it was the 'cat' -several hundred pounds worth of replacement - which I didn't pay!
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Orwell
jeangenie
Been Cautioned

Postby Himself » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:53 am

My first new car. 1968 Plymouth Road Runner. 383 cu in/335 bhp.

My wish list. 1960 Buick.

In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Himself
Been Cautioned

Postby KatieJordanPricePHD » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:06 pm

This is my favourite. It is like a smart car but more normal car shaped. It's just so cute and I want one to play in! :lol: :lol:
http://www.tallerescasas.com/2mano/1/IMAG0139.jpg
It's called a Ligier Anbra. :D
What's the point...ir..irm...you know...of go'n over thir like...when we can sit here go'n through the boxes and look'n at the labels we made...an like...ir...irm...you know like. I've gorra lorra shrugg'n an stuff to do av'n I...ay...ay...ay?
KatieJordanPricePHD
Been Cautioned

Postby rammy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Fri Jan 25th, I wrote and said I was picking up my X5. Well, I did eventually and it's brill. She does things even I don't know she's doing. 'self levelling headlights' etc etc.
I feel a bit of a nob in her sometimes because I use the indicators etc., (optional on a BMW you undrstand).
Parking sensors, she's a fu*king whittle. the sensors go off when you are about 3 foot away from the chuffing wall. I am only just getting used to parking it because of the parking sensors. I call her MAVIS RILEY, coz she is so nervous.
My 9 year old said today, "mummy, of all the cars we have had, I love Mavis the best".........Long Live Mavis.........
rammy
First Time Offender

Postby jennyanydots » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:32 pm

1989- A brand new racing red limited edition mini (well before dortsprungtekknik took the heart out of Issy Ignossis's vision of an affordable people's transport), one of the last real minis from the production line at Longbridge.

Nearly 20 years later, Mavis has less than 40,000 miles on the clock, she hates cold mornings, and boy does she look good.
jennyanydots
New In Town

Postby R_Murats Glasses » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:34 pm

Had my car for years now

Never failed an MOT never spent more than £150 on an MOT and done 150k
R_Murats Glasses
Suspect

Postby Barracuda » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:06 am

My favourite car is my tractor that I keep making attachements for and welding them on, like scrap heap challenge..... just like me tonka truck when I was a nippa.
The phone and email intercepts, as I understand it, are almost enough on their own. But I have always been told that even this is NOT the standalone evidence. CW.
Barracuda
You're Nicked

Postby koh_i_noor » Mon May 05, 2008 1:21 am

my fave car at the mo is my renualt clio 1.2 :lol: before i got the clio i had an m reg 416si rover the clio is cheaper on tax an insurance and great 4 me and my wee girl :D
peace and blessings to find the beginning you must start at the end
koh_i_noor
Suspect

Postby confuseddotcom » Tue May 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Not MY car, as i can't drive, but my hubby's first car.
When he passed his test at 18, his father gave him his old "work horse" ...it was an old estate, with no passenger seat, so I had to sit in the back ...where exhaust fumes poured in the window :lol: :lol: :lol:
But we loved that car, it was our ticket to freedom :)
Braccae illae virides cum subucula rosea et tunica Caledonia-quam elenganter concinnatur!
(Those green pants go so well with that pink shirt and the plaid jacket!)
confuseddotcom
Been Cautioned

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about