What Rights Do I Have Against The Police?

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

What Rights Do I Have Against The Police?

Postby OoBubblesoO » Wed May 28, 2008 6:31 pm

So i'm standing at my gate, talking to my son and his friend, when three cop cars go past - all looking at me :| I get this a lot because I live on a main road. But three cop cars and slowing down as they passed my house, round the roundabout at the end of my road, and back up again, staring at me...

I just knew they were gonna stop, no idea why.

Next thing I know, four cars pulled up. Cops came running up to me and asked if I lived here. I said yes. One of the guys asked if he could search my garden and I asked why. He said because they'd had a report my sons were driving off-road motorbikes (those mini motor things) I laughed at the cop and told him he was wrong and whoever reported it was a liar! But, they could have a look in my garden.

He looked over the fence, asked if he could check the back garden and I said to wait till I got hubby. In the meantime, Grant had gone into the house to get hubby....and one of the cops asked me if he was my son. Sarcastically I replied 'naaaahhh! I usually let anyone into my house....of course hes my son!' so he asked why he went into the house and I responded with 'well because he lives there! Is that illegal?'

Anyway, they then wanted to search my house and I asked if they had a warrent. They said no, but they could search because they suspected we had these bikes. I then got a little cheeky (because I was angry) and hubby came to the door telling the cops they weren't getting into the house. After a few moments, I told hubby to just let them have a quick look because they'd only harrass us all night...so they came in and checked. Found nothing, because we don't have any!!!

After they went out, they had the damn cheek to WAVE at me as they left and said 'see you later' to which I replied 'yeah right! Only if someone else grasses us up for something we haven't done!'

So I decided to call the cop shop and ask my rights. Apparently, if they suspect me or my family of a crime, they do have a right to search the premises.....but they should have shown a warrent and ID. None of these cops showed any ID or warrents, so am thinking of making a complaint.

Thing is, if someone has grassed us up for something we haven't done, are we gonna have the cops here every two weeks saying we've got this, that or the other? Am I gonna have to put up with them barging into my home and searching?

Does anyone know what my rights are? If I had refused entry, could they have done me for anything?

Then we have people killing their kids and getting away with it....isn't it just typical?! :shock:
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Re: What Rights Do I Have Against The Police?

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 6:41 pm

OoBubblesoO wrote:So i'm standing at my gate, talking to my son and his friend, when three cop cars go past - all looking at me :| I get this a lot because I live on a main road. But three cop cars and slowing down as they passed my house, round the roundabout at the end of my road, and back up again, staring at me...

Next thing I know, four cars pulled up. Cops came running up to me and asked if I lived here. I said yes. One of the guys asked if he could search my garden and I asked why. He said because they'd had a report my sons were driving off-road motorbikes (those mini motor things) I laughed at the cop and told him he was wrong and whoever reported it was a liar! But, they could have a look in my garden.

He looked over the fence, asked if he could check the back garden and I said to wait till I got hubby. In the meantime, Grant had gone into the house to get hubby....and one of the cops asked me if he was my son. Sarcastically I replied 'naaaahhh! I usually let anyone into my house....of course hes my son!' so he asked why he went into the house and I responded with 'well because he lives there! Is that illegal?'

Anyway, they then wanted to search my house and I asked if they had a warrent. They said no, but they could search because they suspected we had these bikes. I then got a little cheeky (because I was angry) and hubby came to the door telling the cops they weren't getting into the house. After a few moments, I told hubby to just let them have a quick look because they'd only harrass us all night...so they came in and checked. Found nothing, because we don't have any!!!

After they went out, they had the damn cheek to WAVE at me as they left and said 'see you later' to which I replied 'yeah right! Only if someone else grasses us up for something we haven't done!'

So I decided to call the cop shop and ask my rights. Apparently, if they suspect me or my family of a crime, they do have a right to search the premises.....but they should have shown a warrent and ID. None of these cops showed any ID or warrents, so am thinking of making a complaint.

Thing is, if someone has grassed us up for something we haven't done, are we gonna have the cops here every two weeks saying we've got this, that or the other? Am I gonna have to put up with them barging into my home and searching?

Does anyone know what my rights are? If I had refused entry, could they have done me for anything?

Then we have people killing their kids and getting away with it....isn't it just typical?! :shock:

I always thought the cops needed a warrent signed by a court to come into your home. But then we are under the nazi goverment at the mo where you can be in trouble for droping a crumb on the floor so who knows what laws have slipped passed us.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby Montgomery Burns » Wed May 28, 2008 7:07 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:
OoBubblesoO wrote:So i'm standing at my gate, talking to my son and his friend, when three cop cars go past - all looking at me :| I get this a lot because I live on a main road. But three cop cars and slowing down as they passed my house, round the roundabout at the end of my road, and back up again, staring at me...

I always thought the cops needed a warrent signed by a court to come into your home.

Not in your lifetime. As the OP has already pointed out, if they suspect you of a crime they can arrest you and search your premises.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Montgomery Burns wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:

I always thought the cops needed a warrent signed by a court to come into your home.

Not in your lifetime. As the OP has already pointed out, if they suspect you of a crime they can arrest you and search your premises.

And you only half quoted me :!: :!: :!: :!:
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby Laffin Assasin » Wed May 28, 2008 7:26 pm

If they suspect you of a crime, they should give you a P.A.C.E. warning.
Laffin Assasin
Mafia Boss

Postby Montgomery Burns » Wed May 28, 2008 7:36 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:

I played safe by merely pointing out the obvious.

I thought long and hard about taking you on over your ridiculous comment in the second part of your reply; I decided, on reflection that I didn't want to be here arguing until midnight with someone who holds such extreme views, Nazi Government indeed. So I won't.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect

Postby nbrado » Wed May 28, 2008 7:46 pm

I personally feel they have overstepped the mark but because you invited them in there is little you can do.

in future I you should be aware of the powers of entry.

Powers of entry

When can the police enter and search

Police can enter premises without a warrant in a number of different situations. Examples include:

* deal with a breach of the peace or prevent it
* enforce an arrest warrant
* arrest a person in connection with certain offences
* recapture someone who has escaped from custody
* save life or prevent serious damage to property.

Apart from when they are preventing serious injury to life or property, the police must have reasonable grounds for believing that the person they are looking for is on the premises.

If the police do arrest you, they can also enter and search any premises where you were during or immediately before the arrest. They can search only for evidence relating to the offence for which you have been arrested, and they must have reasonable grounds for believing there is evidence there. They can also search any premises occupied by someone who is under arrest for certain serious offences. Again, the police officer who carries out the search must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that there is evidence on the premises relating to the offence or a similar offence.

In other circumstances, the police must have a search warrant before they can enter the premises. They should enter property at a reasonable hour unless this would frustrate their search. When the occupier is present, the police must ask for permission to search the property – again, unless it would frustrate the search to do this.

When they are carrying out a search police officers must:

* identify themselves and - if they are not in uniform - show their warrant card, and
* explain why they want to search, the rights of the occupier and whether the search is made with a search warrant or not.

If the police have a warrant, they can force entry if:

* the occupier has refused entry, or
* it is impossible to communicate with the occupier, or
* the occupier is absent, or
* the premises are unoccupied, or
* they have reasonable grounds for believing that if they do not force entry it would hinder the search, or someone would be placed in danger.

If you feel they have breached you can complain at.

Making a complaint

You can make a complaint by:

* contacting the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). You can do this by phone, email, post, fax or minicom
* contacting any police station in person, by post, phone, fax or email. If you go in person, ask to see the duty officer. You can search for details of a police station at: www.neighbourhoodpolicing.co.uk
* contacting your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help. A solicitor or MP can also make a complaint on your behalf.

You can find more information about how to make a complaint about the police on the IPCC website at: www.ipcc.gov.uk. You can also find information on how your complaint will be investigated and what the outcome might be. You can download a complaint form or complete one online.

Information about how to complain is also available in several different languages at: www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/complaints.

Contact details for the IPCC are:

Independent Police Complaints Commission
5th floor
90 High Holborn
London
WC1V 6BH

Tel: 0845 300 2002
Minicom: 020 7404 0431
Fax: 020 7404 0430
E-mail: enquiries@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk

Nbrado - Site admin
The Three Arguidos - Here to stay..........
nbrado

Postby Montgomery Burns » Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 pm

I saw your name as the last poster and thought I'd breached T&C's again!

Thankfully not, this time at least!
Montgomery Burns
Suspect

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 pm

Montgomery Burns wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:

I thought long and hard about taking you on over your ridiculous comment in the second part of your reply; I decided, on reflection that I didn't want to be here arguing until midnight with someone who holds such extreme views, Nazi Government indeed. So I won't.

Second part of my post was a joke. feel free to take me on was not going to pick on you if you said second part was in bad taste, what I would have done was say sorry.

Oh and I don't hold extreme views, I just see this country going to the dogs thats all. And like I said second part was a joke, thought everyone would know that. Sorry. Not getting at you by the way I really am sorry .
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby Montgomery Burns » Wed May 28, 2008 8:17 pm

okwithmydecay wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:
okwithmydecay wrote:

Second part of my post was a joke. feel free to take me on was not going to pick on you if you said second part was in bad taste, what I would have done was say sorry.

Oh and I don't hold extreme views, I just see this country going to the dogs thats all. And like I said second part was a joke, thought everyone would know that. Sorry. Not getting at you by the way I really am sorry .

No, I am sorry for I didn't realise you were joking. Sorry again.
Montgomery Burns
Suspect

Postby okwithmydecay » Wed May 28, 2008 8:27 pm

No, I am sorry for I didn't realise you were joking. Sorry again.[/quote]

No you don't need to say sorry, I forget sometimes I am not with mates takin' face to face. This is why I hate message broads, you have to think about every word that comes out of your mouth (or head). But please don't feel sorry it was me posting and not giving a second thought to what I wrote.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby beachy » Wed May 28, 2008 8:53 pm

Bubbles, do not ever let anyone claiming to be a policeman into your house without asking to see a warrant card. Even if the individual is in uniform, a real copper should not object to your asking to see his warrant card. They have all at least heard of situations where crimes have been committed against citizens by individuals claiming to be members of the police and they all also know that fairly realistic-looking uniforms can be purchased from costumers and on the internet.

The police do not always need a warrant to conduct a search. Let us suppose that the police were riding down a street in your neighbourhood on routine patrol when they witnessed one of your sons operating a mini-bike in a reckless manner and running down an old lady on the sidewalk. They stop their car and get out intending to arrest him, but before they can complete the formalities and get him into the police car, he gets away and dashes into your house. They can go after him without a warrant because he has escaped from custody. But in a situation where someone phoned in a report that your children were riding mini-bikes in your back yard and there was no evidence of that when they got there, no, they had no right to go into your house unless you allowed them in to do a consent search.

My advice to you would be to ignore it unless it happens again, but if they come around repeatedly and harass you, I would call the constabulary and ask for a sit-down with a supervisor. I would tell him/her something like this, "Look, some of your officers came to my house and asked if our boys were riding mini-bikes in the back garden. I told them no and allowed them to do a search of the premises even though they did not have a warrant. They found nothing, and we did not know they were coming, so we would have had no opportunity to dispose of anything. Now they have come back again. I believe we are the victims of malicious reporting by some neighbour or someone else who has a grudge against us, though I cannot say who that would be. We are both being victimised here: It's taking up your time when I know you have more important work to do, and it is causing me to suffer inconvenience. What do you suggest we do about it, because I want to be cooperative, but I am not going to continue to allow your officers to search my house without a warrant." Also tell them that, pursuant to the Data Protection Act, all the members of your household are thinking of filing a request for any information the police may have in their files that indicates anyone in your family has committed a crime.

That should take care of it.
beachy
Hardened Criminal

Postby IsChildNeglectLegal » Wed May 28, 2008 11:32 pm

Next time make a point of getting their "Collar numbers", if they think you are going to dob them in they might show more respect.

Even if your Kids were riding Mini Mop Heads they couldn't do anything unless they catch them in the act, being in possession of one isn't a crime...& I hate those things... :lol:

Tell 'em they are infringing your civil liberties.. :wink:
Pro McConn, excusing Child neglect since 3rd May 2007

Clarrie...if it's good enough for the PJ it's good enough for ME..get over yourself you are now't but a Pink Windbag !

"Use the Force"........the Police Force to lock the B*ggers up.
IsChildNeglectLegal
On Parole

Postby OoBubblesoO » Thu May 29, 2008 12:25 am

No no, I knew these were real cops because i've dealt with at least four of them. But for NINE cops to turn up for a motorbike, I think was going too far!!

The reason i've dealt with them before is, believe it or not, I helped capture an escaped con a couple years ago. Funny(ish) story actually. My son was standing at the front door chatting to his mate. I was looking out the window and saw cop cars going back and forth...five mins later, Grant came in to tell me the cops were all over the place and in our back garden :shock: I jumped up and went to look. Sure enough, they were in my garden, checking behind the rabbit huts and ferret crees...then they jumped back over my fence and into the shrubbery along my fence. As I watched, I saw a head pop up from behind my shed and called 'oy!' thinking it was Grant's mate being nosey. Imagine my shock when the guy turned round and it was someone i'd never seen before!

The guy motioned for me to be quiet, and I told him to 'get out of my garden!' not realising he was who the cops were looking for :lol:

Anyway, cops went back to their cars and drove off, searching the road. It was then I realised this was who they were looking for, so I ran to the front window and silently waved a cop car down...pointed to the corner of my house and mouthed 'hes round there!'

The guy had gotten out of my garden by this time, and ran to the shrubbery, lay flat against the ground...hubby saw where he went.

Next thing I know, the place was crawling with cops. The dogs were brought in, CID, and two mins later, armed police!!! :shock: They hunted and hunted, but couldn't see the guy. I could see him from my window, and could see the cops walking straight past him lol!

So, I waved one cop over, and she came round the front of the house. I told her exactly where the guy was...within seconds they had him surrounded, guns pointing, batons raised, and two cops went in and dragged him out....handcuffing him....then a van was called for and they threw him in the back.

Few moments later, a couple cops came to the house to thank me for my help. These two were two of the cops that came to mine tonight. I asked if the guy was dangerous (obviously he was otherwise they wouldnt have had armed response there) and she replied 'well, put it this way, we've been after this guy for quite some time'. It turned out he was in prison for murder...and had escaped. He was from the London area (i'm way up north) and he'd been wanted for quite some time...

So, it just goes to show doesn't it? You help the police out, and they barge into your house like you're a common criminal!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be calling the superintendent tomorrow and speaking to him :wink:
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Postby OoBubblesoO » Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 am

IsChildNeglectLegal wrote:Next time make a point of getting their "Collar numbers", if they think you are going to dob them in they might show more respect.

Even if your Kids were riding Mini Mop Heads they couldn't do anything unless they catch them in the act, being in possession of one isn't a crime...& I hate those things... :lol:

Tell 'em they are infringing your civil liberties.. :wink:

This is exactly what I said tonight! They shouldn't have been allowed to search my property because even if my sons did own them, they weren't riding them if they were in my house, which means they weren't committing an offense! Its not illegal to own one, just to ride them on the streets...

So yes, that'll go into my report tomorrow too. Thanks for that! :)
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Next

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about