What Rights Do I Have Against The Police?

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

Re: What Rights Do I Have Against The Police?

Postby Montgomery Burns » Fri May 30, 2008 1:31 pm

ponky wrote:
OoBubblesoO wrote:
ponky wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:The Chief Inspector seems to be judge, jury and executioner. You would have though he would have waited to interview the officers and hear their version of events before pronouncing them guilty. Natural justice and all that.

Also highly unusual for a Chief Inspector to visit regarding a complaint. Normally, even if the complaint was made directly to him/her,
in the first instance it would be passed to the duty sergeant and then passed back up the line of command.
I'm highly impressed that our police should take the matter so seriously.

Exceptional circumstances Ponky. I'm housebound and unable to visit the local police station, plus the complaint was made the night it all happened (to the desk sergeant) and I spoke to them again yesterday morning. He was actually the one who said I should speak to the chief. And he was the one who said the officers had broken the law...

He was in the process of interviewing the officers involved last night. I would have thought this chief would interview my neighbours too, to verify if what i'd said was true...but as far as I know, none of them were asked.

We think it's possible that these officers have already been spoken to in the past because of their conduct, therefore they'll be kinda on probation.

Its been in our news lately that officers are making so many minor arrests just to meet their quota, and ignoring the worse crimes, so i'm guessing the higher up's are taking complaints seriously.

Funnily enough, we have something called the 'stop and search' where officers are allowed to stop anyone in the street and search them. This was happening on a daily basis with my kids, even when they were just popping to the shops. I was getting letters right, left and centre....and each time my boys were stopped, nothing was found on them. Some days they were being stopped twice because they 'looked suspicious' :| So I called the station and asked why this was happening...even suggested it was harrassment. That was over a year ago. Neither of my boys have been stopped since I made that call!!

I have to admit that, although I don't live in a high crime area, the cops are pretty fast when a complaint is made. My guess is, they did this raid just because they were trying to reach their quota....but truth is, they should have had authorisation first.

Lets put it this way. The chief told me last night that it is legal to own these bikes. And he hinted that the officers were in the wrong because even if they had found a bike in my house, they couldn't have done anything anyway because my sons weren't driving it illegally on the streets. So basically, they committed two crimes as well as the fact that they wouldn't have been in the right if they had seized a bike which wasn't being used if it was in the house! :wink:

One thing, I bet the neighbours were well impressed at the Chief Inspector calling. :D

They'd have been staggered had the Chief Super called. And so would I!
Montgomery Burns
Suspect

Postby beachy » Fri May 30, 2008 1:46 pm

OoBubblesoO wrote:Quick update:

I have a chief superintendant coming out tonight to take a statement and make a formal complaint against the officers involved in the raid on my home last night :bounce:

After speaking to someone high up from my local police station, I've been told that what they did was totally illegal. There will be an investigation into this because apparently, there was NO call made to police about my sons driving these bikes. Theres NO call logged, no evidence of them ever being on the bikes. Its all total BS, and what the police did was against the law. The officer I spoke to was fuming. He said this was basically harrassment and invasion of privacy, so he's gonna send someone out tonight to sort it out.

I KNEW the cops were in the wrong last night....watch what happens next :lol:

This is very bad, Bubbles. I had no idea that the coppers were just out bad-assing around without either a warrant OR a complaint. Jaysus, if they had nothing better than that to do, they should be transferred to a place where there is more work! In all my years on the force, I never saw a single day when I did not have enough to do, and often more than two people could have done. And to do something like that to a citizen that at least some of them KNEW had assisted in a previous arrest! Totally out of line.

You may well be right that they had acted improperly before, and their supervisors know it. If so, they are overdue for disciplinary action. If the chief superintendent asks you to sign a statement or make a visual identification of them, by all means, do it. The bad apples need to be sorted before they do something even worse.
beachy
Hardened Criminal

Postby OoBubblesoO » Fri May 30, 2008 2:31 pm

beachy wrote:
OoBubblesoO wrote:Quick update:

I have a chief superintendant coming out tonight to take a statement and make a formal complaint against the officers involved in the raid on my home last night :bounce:

After speaking to someone high up from my local police station, I've been told that what they did was totally illegal. There will be an investigation into this because apparently, there was NO call made to police about my sons driving these bikes. Theres NO call logged, no evidence of them ever being on the bikes. Its all total BS, and what the police did was against the law. The officer I spoke to was fuming. He said this was basically harrassment and invasion of privacy, so he's gonna send someone out tonight to sort it out.

I KNEW the cops were in the wrong last night....watch what happens next :lol:

This is very bad, Bubbles. I had no idea that the coppers were just out bad-assing around without either a warrant OR a complaint. Jaysus, if they had nothing better than that to do, they should be transferred to a place where there is more work! In all my years on the force, I never saw a single day when I did not have enough to do, and often more than two people could have done. And to do something like that to a citizen that at least some of them KNEW had assisted in a previous arrest! Totally out of line.

You may well be right that they had acted improperly before, and their supervisors know it. If so, they are overdue for disciplinary action. If the chief superintendent asks you to sign a statement or make a visual identification of them, by all means, do it. The bad apples need to be sorted before they do something even worse.

I did sign two statements Beachy. One was a statement about what happened, and another was to say I was agreeing to something called Local Resolution.

He also left me two pamphlets from the ipcc. He says there is a full investigation into what they did but I may not hear anything from them for a couple weeks, but they will contact me and keep me up to date with whatever they're gonna do.

I think I was lucky in that, I got a decent straight inspector to look at my complaint. He did say to me 'this is only just the start of your complaint' which made me think they were gonna really look into this. That's all I ask for. It was an unfair raid, especially since we've never broken the law and none of us have criminal records :)
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Postby ponky » Fri May 30, 2008 2:34 pm

You tempted fate their Monty, he's coming out tonight.

Hope he doesn't arrive when "Britain's Got Talent" is on the TV, neighbours'll be hopping mad if they miss the visit. :)

Will he arrive with an entourage do you think?
ponky
First Time Offender

Postby OoBubblesoO » Fri May 30, 2008 2:35 pm

ponky wrote:
OoBubblesoO wrote:
ponky wrote:
Montgomery Burns wrote:The Chief Inspector seems to be judge, jury and executioner. You would have though he would have waited to interview the officers and hear their version of events before pronouncing them guilty. Natural justice and all that.

Also highly unusual for a Chief Inspector to visit regarding a complaint. Normally, even if the complaint was made directly to him/her,
in the first instance it would be passed to the duty sergeant and then passed back up the line of command.

Exceptional circumstances Ponky. I'm housebound and unable to visit the local police station, plus the complaint was made the night it all happened (to the desk sergeant) and I spoke to them again yesterday morning. He was actually the one who said I should speak to the chief. And he was the one who said the officers had broken the law...

He was in the process of interviewing the officers involved last night. I would have thought this chief would interview my neighbours too, to verify if what i'd said was true...but as far as I know, none of them were asked.

We think it's possible that these officers have already been spoken to in the past because of their conduct, therefore they'll be kinda on probation.

Its been in our news lately that officers are making so many minor arrests just to meet their quota, and ignoring the worse crimes, so i'm guessing the higher up's are taking complaints seriously.

Funnily enough, we have something called the 'stop and search' where officers are allowed to stop anyone in the street and search them. This was happening on a daily basis with my kids, even when they were just popping to the shops. I was getting letters right, left and centre....and each time my boys were stopped, nothing was found on them. Some days they were being stopped twice because they 'looked suspicious' :| So I called the station and asked why this was happening...even suggested it was harrassment. That was over a year ago. Neither of my boys have been stopped since I made that call!!

I have to admit that, although I don't live in a high crime area, the cops are pretty fast when a complaint is made. My guess is, they did this raid just because they were trying to reach their quota....but truth is, they should have had authorisation first.

Lets put it this way. The chief told me last night that it is legal to own these bikes. And he hinted that the officers were in the wrong because even if they had found a bike in my house, they couldn't have done anything anyway because my sons weren't driving it illegally on the streets. So basically, they committed two crimes as well as the fact that they wouldn't have been in the right if they had seized a bike which wasn't being used if it was in the house! :wink:

One thing, I bet the neighbours were well impressed at the Chief Inspector calling. :D

Not sure about that because although he was wearing a white shirt and the usual uniform, he wasn't driving a cop car...

I don't want to impress the neighbours or anyone. One of my neighbours asked what had happened, and I told him. Thing is, those cops left empty handed and anyone watching would have seen that :bounce:
OoBubblesoO
First Time Offender

Postby ponky » Fri May 30, 2008 2:41 pm

OoBubblesoO wrote:
ponky wrote:
OoBubblesoO wrote:
ponky wrote:

Not sure about that because although he was wearing a white shirt and the usual uniform, he wasn't driving a cop car...

I don't want to impress the neighbours or anyone. One of my neighbours asked what had happened, and I told him. Thing is, those cops left empty handed and anyone watching would have seen that :bounce:

I think a man of , how sexist of me, man or woman of that rank carries a cane with a silver top. If they were coming here I would'nt know whether to offer to take it for them or not along with their hat.
What is etiquette in the circumstances I wonder?
ponky
First Time Offender

Previous

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about