UK Fuel Price Protest!

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

UK Fuel Price Protest!

Postby ratonthebeam » Tue May 27, 2008 1:09 pm

The increased tax revenue from the high oil price means that the UK government could slash 10p of the price of a litre and still be 2p a litre better off than budgeted for.

Remember the 2p tax hike that was postponed from the 2008 budget will be implemented in October 2008.

Please take a moment to register your protest at the alarming escalation of fuel prices.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Lowerduty30/
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" (Oscar Wilde)
"Oh wad some power, the giftie gie us, tae see oorsels, as ithers see us" (Rabbie Burns)
"Bonnie feathers dinna mak' bonnie birds" (My Gran)
ratonthebeam
Local Lag

Re: UK Fuel Price Protest!

Postby lunalovegood » Tue May 27, 2008 1:10 pm

completely pointless - we ALL need to restrict our use of fuel - peak oil has passed so its just tough - get used to using less.
lunalovegood
New In Town

Postby bugalugs1970 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:16 pm

You know i sat and pondered only the other night how i could use less diesal.....i can't...i walk my daughter to school everyday.....i walk to the local sainsburys and do my shopping daily.....i only use my car for journeys that are not walkable and difficult to get to on public transport.

When i got my diesal car, 1 1/2 years ago, diesal was 0.88.9 p per litre now its 1.27p per litre. In addition with the treat of increased tax on older cars (i can't afford a newer one) i am thinking of going to horse n cart........ :lol: :lol:

Have signed petition happily

This country is heading for a recession
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby ratonthebeam » Tue May 27, 2008 1:24 pm

We are the same bugalugs, we live in an area where the buses are expensive, unsafe, infrequent and unreliable. We have no option but to take the car, if we are to live anything like a "normal" life.

Plus when fuel prices are raised, so is the price of everything else - how else do suppliers pay for their distribution costs?! :evil: :evil: :evil: There is only so much blood that one can squeeze from a stone!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" (Oscar Wilde)
"Oh wad some power, the giftie gie us, tae see oorsels, as ithers see us" (Rabbie Burns)
"Bonnie feathers dinna mak' bonnie birds" (My Gran)
ratonthebeam
Local Lag

Postby bugalugs1970 » Tue May 27, 2008 1:35 pm

ratonthebeam wrote:We are the same bugalugs, we live in an area where the buses are expensive, unsafe, infrequent and unreliable. We have no option but to take the car, if we are to live anything like a "normal" life.

Plus when fuel prices are raised, so is the price of everything else - how else do suppliers pay for their distribution costs?! :evil: :evil: :evil: There is only so much blood that one can squeeze from a stone!

Was chatting with a woman on the till in sainsbury's about it this very morning....she agreed..although the suppliers (ie tesco, sainsbury etc) have to increase their prices in order to reflect their own increases they are sure to squeeze in a little extra on top.

I bought 3 leeks £1.65.... :shock: so glad i planted out 150 of them on my allotments a few months back. I will not waste a scrap of my croppings this year, i'm going to buy another chest freezer and store the damn lot.
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby Scarlett » Tue May 27, 2008 2:24 pm

bugalugs1970 wrote:
ratonthebeam wrote:We are the same bugalugs, we live in an area where the buses are expensive, unsafe, infrequent and unreliable. We have no option but to take the car, if we are to live anything like a "normal" life.

Was chatting with a woman on the till in sainsbury's about it this very morning....she agreed..although the suppliers (ie tesco, sainsbury etc) have to increase their prices in order to reflect their own increases they are sure to squeeze in a little extra on top.

I bought 3 leeks £1.65.... :shock: so glad i planted out 150 of them on my allotments a few months back. I will not waste a scrap of my croppings this year, i'm going to buy another chest freezer and store the damn lot.

I bought a small white cabbage for coleslaw the other day...£2.
2 leeks £1.90
The one that really got me..7 months ago a bag of self-raising flour was 98p. Went to get a bag 4 weeks ago--£1.98
Some shops are exploiting the price rises and really taking the pis s.

Car pooling is really taking off here. A bus ticket in and out of the city is now £12 per day. (25 miles)
I would say running a car in and out isn't far of that..Since at rush hour, you spend an hour sitting in tailbacks. A 30 minute journey can take 2 hours at rush hour.
I have been seeing an increased number of small ads for car pooling.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Cuddle Cat. Copy and paste cuddle cat into your
(")_(") signature to help her gain world domination
Scarlett
First Time Offender

Postby chimaera » Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 pm

lunalovegood wrote:completely pointless - we ALL need to restrict our use of fuel - peak oil has passed so its just tough - get used to using less.

Extremely difficult for some, especially disabled who have kept their vehicles in order to retain some independence. I know a number of disabled people who have to attend hospital on a weekly, sometimes twice-weekly basis. Their alternative is to use an ambulance, which they are quite legally entitled to ask for in some areas.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby blimthepixie » Tue May 27, 2008 3:49 pm

i think this deserves a mention....

the Exchequer has made an EXTRA £505 MILLION in fuel duty tax since April 08 because of the increase in pump prices :shock:

that is a profit for just 2 months! now looking at it from this point :banghead:

http://www.whronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/item ... =126&f=127
blimthepixie
First Time Offender

Postby bonnybraes1 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:19 pm

I saw some idiot on Sky earlier, complaining by e-mail that if the road hauliers can't make a profit, they deserve to go out of business.
Just how does he think goods get onto shop shelves, hospital supplies, etc., are delivered - fairy dust?
Of course the hauliers can make a profit, but it means every single person in the country, including that clown, will have to dig ever-deeper in their pockets.
The utter stupidity of someone not grasping that expensive fuel = expensive everything was a wonder to behold.
bonnybraes1

Postby ponky » Tue May 27, 2008 4:48 pm

lunalovegood wrote:completely pointless - we ALL need to restrict our use of fuel - peak oil has passed so its just tough - get used to using less.
[quote="lunalovegood"]
How can hauliers restrict the use of fuel Luna? Even if all private motorists do their bit, food and most consumer goods are still road transported. The dream of transporting by rail died in the days of Dr.Beaching. All fuel price rises are passed on to the consumer.
I live 2 1/2 miles from the nearest corner shop/P.O, 5 miles town. When daughter was at school, 5miles to train station, 16 miles to school on train. Train fares increase in line with diesel costs.

Would you wish all us country dwellers to be herded into cities so we'd walk, bus ,tube everywhere?

Maybe, but I've earned the right to live my countryside existence.

20 yrs ago, When we lived in town, I had to hide the car keys to prevent the baliffs taking it. 20 yrs later after taking huge risks building a business and many tears later we are here.
We employ a fair number of staff, all young, such is the nature of the business. Some have to travel. They stay with us, as they earn a decent salary and enjoy the camaradarie of working with us and their colleagues.

As fuel prices increase, they will need a raise to fill their car. To afford the raise, we need to increase price to the consumer.
The raw product also costs more due to fuel increase.

The consumer meanwhile is feeling the pinch too, for reasons as above, and so less custom.

So what to do?

We could pack up, sell up, and toil the rest of our years away growing cabbages and potatoes, they'll soon be classed as luxury goods anyway.

So then what becomes of our marvellous young staff?
They all have mortgages or rent to pay. Lots have children in local nurseries (remove the children, another business down the pan).

So the two oldies, husband and me survive. For now.
When we are both admitted to care homes, we'll lose everything we worked for when the house is sold, to pay for our care anyway.

In the meantime, all the lovely, vibrant young people working with us have defaulted on their mortgages, rent or loans, who knows?

So one fuel increase too many, could bring about the chain of events as described.

Oh just an afterthought. You may feel you're sitting pretty Luna, only having tube or bus fare, basic food to buy. Read again through my nightmare scenario and you could be one of our young employees.
ponky
First Time Offender

Postby Scarlett » Tue May 27, 2008 4:55 pm

bonnybraes1 wrote:I saw some idiot on Sky earlier, complaining by e-mail that if the road hauliers can't make a profit, they deserve to go out of business.
Just how does he think goods get onto shop shelves, hospital supplies, etc., are delivered - fairy dust?
Of course the hauliers can make a profit, but it means every single person in the country, including that clown, will have to dig ever-deeper in their pockets.
The utter stupidity of someone not grasping that expensive fuel = expensive everything was a wonder to behold.

Did that particular knob work for the government? :roll: :roll:

Watched a clip on the news last week that said the average 2.2 family will need an extra £3000 per year, just to keep their heads above water. Businesses can't afford to pay these rises to their employees.
BUT
Families around me are countinuing to get loans to fund foreign holidays or new kitchens etc, while moaning about the price of essentials.
I think we are only seeing the start of the credit crunch.
(\__/)
Scarlett
First Time Offender

Postby the_last_name_left » Tue May 27, 2008 5:05 pm

Fuel-price protests are crazy.

What do they think will happen? It's ridiculous. Nobody likes high fuel prices - but tough - it's a fact of life: limited resource, with effectively unlimited demand.

Chickens are coming home to roost. So no surprise to see people complain.

But get real?
the_last_name_left
You're Nicked

Postby Torti » Tue May 27, 2008 5:07 pm

How re fuel taxes calculated in the UK? Here in the states we pay a flat rate Federal, flat rate state tax per gallon. No increase if the price of fuel goes up.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby Scarlett » Tue May 27, 2008 5:34 pm

the_last_name_left wrote:Fuel-price protests are crazy.

What do they think will happen? It's ridiculous. Nobody likes high fuel prices - but tough - it's a fact of life: limited resource, with effectively unlimited demand.

Chickens are coming home to roost. So no surprise to see people complain.

But get real?

Absolutely..Nobody has an issue with this, the issue is the tax that the government is heaping on top of the price of fuel.

The UK pay more than double what the US pays for the equivalant amount because of government taxation..

Good on the truckers!
(\__/)
Scarlett
First Time Offender

Postby lunalovegood » Tue May 27, 2008 5:39 pm

we are ALL affected buy higher fuel prices, me included. We awere alos thinking of retiring to the country, but niw will not be able to .We just have to get real - there has been an oasis of prosperity when we've all just consumed - now we are all going to have to get used to not consuming - just like most of the world in fact, that never had the chance to get on the gravy train. And it is up to us all to HELP those who will be suffering most - eg the elderly and disabled, - sharing lifts with elderly neighbours - maybe even, shock, horror, LIVING with our elderly relatives, which we have gotten out of the habit of - but life IS going to change, and we had better start making plans for it.
lunalovegood
New In Town

Next

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about