Any veggie growers here? Would like some advice please

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

Re: Any veggie growers here? Would like some advice please

Postby somthinfishie » Thu May 22, 2008 3:40 pm

Wow,I have seedlings already,salad leaves and tom plant seedlings through,they`ve only been in since Sunday afternoon,I didn`t realise things would grow so quickly!~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby Tutti » Thu May 22, 2008 4:08 pm

bugalugs1970 wrote:Sounds as though your soil could be lacking in nutrients. Did you add any soil conditioners to the bed when adding top soil and compost?

Onions should really be pencil thickness before you plant them out, they require very little watering, basically just water them in and only re water if soil becomes very dry. There should be no problem with onions sharing a bed with celery.

Check the ph level of your soil, ideally it should be between 5.5-7.5, you can buy ph level testing kits cheaply now at places like wilkinsons etc.

As for your toms last year, people were not just being kind to you, potatoe blight affects toms as they are part of the same family. Last year potatoe blight was rife, i lost all my toms but sprayed by pots so managed to salvage some for storing.

Thats what i was thinking.. also to get past the creepy crawly problem get into permaculture.. there are certain plants you can grow alongside each other which attract good bugs and ward off the bad ones. also greased yellow paper or good old fashioned beer traps for naughty bugs is not only environmentally friendly but affective.
Can you invest in some ducks or chickens? they love naughty bugs... and then you have the bonus of fresh eggs for brekkie!
I used to have an Organic smallholding and these guys were an ocean of help and knowledge.
http://www.soilassociation.org/

http://www.permaculture.org.uk/default.asp

Good luck (P.s. next year maybe try Flyaway carrot seeds)
I Survived The Harold Shipman Clinic!
Tutti
You're Nicked

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:23 pm

Cushty i'm surprised you have a peaty loam as your acid loving shrubs appear to be doing well with the exception of the rhodendron, especially as the flowers on the Hydrangea are purply blue as this is a sure sign of acidic soil. :?

Oh well i shall try to stop obsessing about your lawn.........and soil structure...... :lol: :lol:
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby humanist » Fri May 23, 2008 1:37 pm

I had a bed of yarrow that was turning yellow and limp.
Watered them with a weak hydrogen peroxide solution.
Very fast recovery.
I live in a tiny village, in the Western Cape, South Africa.
Our finance minister, Trevor Manuel, (one of the few politicians I trust, actually he is not a politician he is our minister of finance.
Not self-enriching nor corrupt, he leads us fiscally by harsh means.
Our interest rates are raised to meet inflation, America drops theirs, so how come our currency is devalued against that, when it is obviously more substantial.
Anyway to get back to the point - a few weeks ago when the food crisis was being fed down our throats - he spoke up on all news channels and in all newspapers and he told us as citizens that we all needed to plant. PLANT FOOD HE SAID. PLANT YOUR OWN FOOD.

We are all planting around here, trying to get unmodified seeds etc. It is actually quite expansive. And truth be told the system that was and the quality life had deteriorated to needs to be dissolved. Something new has to come into being. And I think it comes with growing. It feels so right.....
humanist
New In Town

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Been down the allotment today, planted out my runners, courgettes, marrows, pumpkins, butternut squashes, savoy's, brussell's and sweetcorn. Plot is looking lovely, i can't wait until we have a good down pour followed by a few sunny days, everything will grooooooowwwww overnight.

On my return from the allotment i had a awesome surprise, my brother is back in the country this weekend for a quick visit and a friends wedding. I wasn't expecting to see him until tomorrow morning but when i got home he was sitting on the door step. I havent' seen him since november last year, it was very emotional and made me realise just how special he is to me. It was a quick cuppa and catch up and then he shot off to his wedding, but i am sooooo happy for seeing his charming face. Can't wait until tomorrow for a proper catch up with him. :)
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby cushty » Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 pm

glad your brother had time for a quick visit, bugalugs

my lawn is looking better simply by having a regular cut rather than its usual mulch - I have changed the mower blade as I think a lot of my problems were coming from scattering the undesirable grasses

my watercress seed has germinated very successfully on the bathroom windowsill - so far so good
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Crikey that germinated quickly :o
Shame my other sowing of butternut seeds haven't germinated yet, been in 10 days and nothing. My first sowing failed so i nabbed a few from a friend and resowed, had a similar prob with my runner bean seeds had to re-sow twice before germination, did everything correctly (not rocket science ffs) i'm perplexed.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby cushty » Sat May 24, 2008 9:59 pm

was it the very warm spell earlier?

my spinach, lettuce and rocket germinated very quickly outside, but has hardly progressed at all since the drop in temperature, and I have had to sow three more courgette seeds to replace the faulty seedling to get one germination
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sat May 24, 2008 10:12 pm

possibly, i just don't know. Never mind these things happen in the weird and wonderful world of Horticulture........ :lol: :lol:
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby ponky » Sat May 24, 2008 11:38 pm

Totally shattered.
Husband worked from 8am till 7.30 pm. Last seen making hasty retreat from bullock as he tried to strim nettles in adjoining meadow.
I was too tired to laugh.

ME?, less than useless. 10am to 3.30pm. (couple of visits here between, oh and a few+ more cups of tea!) Hands aching and wrists so swollen from wielding the trowel.

I get fed up that I cant dig a good hole or lift a bag of compost. Always having to call the toyboy :D for help.
Signing off, a demoralised ponky :(

Or as Scarlett O'Hara said, "tomorrow's another day" :bounce:
ponky
First Time Offender

Postby Torti » Sun May 25, 2008 2:58 am

The air conditioning is not working, I"m trying to get ready for a "yard sale" at my DIL's home, going through boxes and boxes of stuff I have not and will not use, but too good to throw away. No clothing, though, thank you. I'm hot, sweaty, dusty, aching, and hope to get this mess over with soon. I've only got nine or ten large storage tubs left to sort through.

My daughter and I took time to head to a local home improvement center for a few more flower plants, but it's too wet to set them out. They need a few warm days to dry a bit in the pots.

The weather here is atrocious. HIghs have been in the mid 80s F, lows around 68F, and please don't ask me to convert. I cannot remember when to add or subtract the 32, before or after multiplying or dividing by 1.8.

The state had about 17 tornadoes of which several touched down, causing widespread damage and at least 2, possibly 3 deaths. More thunderstorms on the way tonight.

Good luck, all, with your veggies. My resident cottontail rabbit comes into the front lawn and flops down to rest. Cheeky bugger won't run away as we approach the house. Won't run from the cats, either. The squirrels are tossing stuff from the walnut trees, (there are about 8 or 9 bearing black walnuts on the property), and making messes on the porch.

Hot bath. some ibuprofen for me, and off to bed. I'll be fine in the AM and can finish the sort.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby bugalugs1970 » Sun May 25, 2008 3:49 pm

Just seen my brother of at the airport, had an amazing time with him albeit to short. He looks so well, the Koreans are very kind looking after my big brother so well. He told me a funny story about a 7 year old girl that he teaches, she loves my brother to bits and wanted to impress him with the new English she had learnt from the tv at home. My brother entered the classroom and Sally (they choose English names for lesson) said "Teacher Matt, teacher Matt look" she held up both hands doing the middle finger gest and said "Fu ck you" , my brother said she was smiling with great pride as she said it, of course he explained "No, no Sally not good English"....... :lol:

Anyway on my return from airport i saw to my dismay that the rain has flattened my oriental poppies and Mckanna giants........ :(
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby okwithmydecay » Sun May 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Well my tom and broad bean plants are looking great, fingers crossed it will be a good year for them.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby okwithmydecay » Sun May 25, 2008 5:54 pm

bugalugs1970 wrote:Just seen my brother of at the airport, had an amazing time with him albeit to short. He looks so well, the Koreans are very kind looking after my big brother so well. He told me a funny story about a 7 year old girl that he teaches, she loves my brother to bits and wanted to impress him with the new English she had learnt from the tv at home. My brother entered the classroom and Sally (they choose English names for lesson) said "Teacher Matt, teacher Matt look" she held up both hands doing the middle finger gest and said "Fu ck you" , my brother said she was smiling with great pride as she said it, of course he explained "No, no Sally not good English"....... :lol:

Anyway on my return from airport i saw to my dismay that the rain has flattened my oriental poppies and Mckanna giants........ :(

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: laughing at your brother but sad :( :( :( about your oriental poppies and Mckanna giants, will they perk up, I hope so.
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one.
okwithmydecay
Been Cautioned

Postby factsonly » Sun May 25, 2008 8:37 pm

does anyone know if making white plastic butterflies (yes, that's right!) really does keep off cabbage white from brassicas?

I have spent the evening making them out of plastic milk cartons and told to hang them on fishing line over the cabbages, to keep off territorial bfs

If not working, I shall be wild as hell.
factsonly
Suspect

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about