Any veggie growers here? Would like some advice please

Introduce yourself and have a general conversation. What are you talking about today?

Re: Any veggie growers here? Would like some advice please

Postby cushty » Tue May 20, 2008 11:44 pm

thank you for your advice, Bugalugs

I shall set to work tomorrow - I have my trusty fork and trowel, and my kneeling mat!
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:26 am

Marianna wrote:Hi folks

I hope it's OK to share here about my little black poodle who helps me garden. She was bitten by a snake on the leg. Horrible, horrible, general anaesthetic to investigate the big lump that appeared, then discovery of two holes in her leg! She is OK and lying on my side of the bed recuperating as hubbie snores away, with a big bandage on her leg. It is the middle of the night and I can't sleep. Quite a shock. She digs up plants for me, and fetches sticks from the woodpile to leave on the grass. As said previously I am in Austria. Back to bed!

Crikey thats bad news Marianna, i hope she makes a speedy recovery. Luckly we are not bothered really by snakes in the Uk.......just the Clarence Mitchell types to look out for........ :wink:
I'm on the payroll........WHAT...you didn't know!!!!!!
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Savekids/
http://www.truthformadeleine.com
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby cushty » Wed May 21, 2008 2:24 pm

after a spot of research in the library I now know my enemy - Yorkshire Fog

now if I can just get it to Boycott my lawn.......................
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby KatieJordanPricePHD » Wed May 21, 2008 2:38 pm

All you veg growers are fantastic! I'd make a mess of em. :lol:
What's the point...ir..irm...you know...of go'n over thir like...when we can sit here go'n through the boxes and look'n at the labels we made...an like...ir...irm...you know like. I've gorra lorra shrugg'n an stuff to do av'n I...ay...ay...ay?
KatieJordanPricePHD
Been Cautioned

Postby bugalugs1970 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Cushty, so glad you found out what the grass is, i have been reading up on it. It seems to be found growing in either poor soil or water logged ground, now i wonder if the problem with your rhodendron is poor drainage and not lack of nutrients, best to try the nutrients first its easier. I'm sure you have already researched how to eliminate it or at least reduce it but if not here is my advice based on my research.

Holcus lanatus Other names: Meadow soft grass, Velvet grass, Yorkshire fog.

Increase application of potassium and phosphorus to effected area, and to improve drainage on soil prick all over with a fork gently wobbling the fork to make little holes in the grassed area, throw down course sand and then sweep your lawn so the sand goes into the little holes. I know it will be time consuming but it will be worth it. It has creeping stolons so you could try slashing around the clumps in an attempt to damage the roots.

On the other hand you could leave it be and help scientists monitor the effect of climate change by telling them when your Yorkshire fog flowers and where you live......... :lol:
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Marianna how is your poodle??
I don't really like dogs, but poodles i do like, i have fond memorys of my grannys poodle, Topsy, she was a black toy poodle i thought she was awesome....although i doubt she felt the same about me at five years old and a bit of a pest. :lol:
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby somthinfishie » Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 pm

KatieJordanPricePHD wrote:All you veg growers are fantastic! I'd make a mess of em. :lol:

Well Katie,I`m pretty carp at most growing,but I`ll give it ago,and with Bugalugs and Cushty on board there is a lot of help out there,give some salad leaves a go,only £1.25 to loss if they don`t grow.Good luck.~~fishie
we have to speculate about the situation Madeleine finds herself (in).

Gerry McCanns blog day 184.

http://www.mccannfiles.com
somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby cushty » Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 pm

I have been out today to buy a copy of 'The Lawn Expert', lawn fertilizer and fine grass seed

now I have reduced my lawn to a minimum I am determined to get it into shape

so I shall be slashing, spraying, forking and raking for the next few months

I feel a whole new hobby coming on - look out for me on the mole thread in 6 months time :lol: :lol:

have also bought today a Brown Turkey fig tree to plant in a pot on the patio - I like the leaves, even without fruit
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby somthinfishie » Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 pm

cushty wrote:I have been out today to buy a copy of 'The Lawn Expert', lawn fertilizer and fine grass seed

now I have reduced my lawn to a minimum I am determined to get it into shape

so I shall be slashing, spraying, forking and raking for the next few months

I feel a whole new hobby coming on - look out for me on the mole thread in 6 months time :lol: :lol:

have also bought today a Brown Turkey fig tree to plant in a pot on the patio - I like the leaves, even without fruit

Be sure to care for your back Cushty,and good luck.~~fishie

somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby Marianna » Wed May 21, 2008 10:32 pm

bugalugs1970 wrote:Marianna how is your poodle??
I don't really like dogs, but poodles i do like, i have fond memorys of my grannys poodle, Topsy, she was a black toy poodle i thought she was awesome....although i doubt she felt the same about me at five years old and a bit of a pest. :lol:

Thanks for asking, Bugalugs,
She's very poorly (I don't like that word but it describes her exactly). She hasn't really picked up and has completely lost her sense of humour, and she is such a joyful soul normally.
I'm now beginning to feel I shouldn't have let her run around in the rough grass near the garden. There's a stream running through and other people have seen snakes there, they now tell me.

We are going away for a few days and hoping the alpine air does her good!

Back on Sunday with better news I hope!
Marianna
Suspect

Postby somthinfishie » Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Marianna wrote:

She's very poorly (I don't like that word but it describes her exactly). She hasn't really picked up and has completely lost her sense of humour, and she is such a joyful soul normally.
I'm now beginning to feel I shouldn't have let her run around in the rough grass near the garden. There's a stream running through and other people have seen snakes there, they now tell me.

OH thats so sad,poor little thing,do keep us updated,I hate when animals are sick,such a shame they can`t tell us whats wrong.Very best wishes to both of you.xx~~fishie

somthinfishie
On Parole

Postby Torti » Wed May 21, 2008 10:39 pm

My daughter has a friend in a wheelchair (muscular dystroophy) who has never had the pleasure of gardening. They went to the local plant nursery and purchased four hybrid tomato plants and cages. The friend's father rotilled them a patch and they set the plants out three days ago. They must have done something right for the newly set out plants have already grown about four inches. I'm hoping they have good luck with their tomatoes as they are one of my favorite fruits. (I know, I know, they are not fruits, but vegetables. Nevertheless, they are a fruit.)

A vegetable plot for us would be a waste of effort as we are overrun with cottontail rabbits, gophers, possums, skunks and box tortoises. Even though we are in the center of the city we are close to the river and that attracts wildlife. We even have troubles growing bulb flowers, they get eaten. The tortoises love tomatoes. They will take a single bite out of each one that they can reach and move on to the next plant.

So our gardening is mostly hanging baskets. We have a beautiful New Guinea impatiens that is a brilliant bright pink with very dark green leaves.

I hope the Alpine air perks up your little poodle, Marianna.

Good luck with such an ambitious new hobby, cushty.
"Cat: One hell of a nice animal frequently mistaken for a meatloaf."--B. Kliban
Torti
Suspect

Postby bugalugs1970 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Marianna wrote:

Oh i'm sorry to hear that Marianna, hopefully she will have picked up in a few days. Enjoy your break i envy you. :)
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby bugalugs1970 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:19 am

Cushty, i can't believe what an idiot i have been, your problem or rather your garden/lawns problem has been staring me in the face. You have acidic soil...which usually means you have sandy soil...which will mean that is is free draining...which means all nutrients get washed away quickly.

With sandy type soils you need to feed it well and regular, i am 100% this will correct the problem with rhododendron and more than likely get your lawn back into a eye catching condition.

Can't believe i passed over one of the most basic principles....i was laying in bed last night and it just hit me..... :blackeye: :oops:

:) have a good day.
bugalugs1970
Mafia Boss

Postby cushty » Thu May 22, 2008 10:16 am

bugalugs1970 wrote:Cushty, i can't believe what an idiot i have been, your problem or rather your garden/lawns problem has been staring me in the face. You have acidic soil...which usually means you have sandy soil...which will mean that is is free draining...which means all nutrients get washed away quickly.

With sandy type soils you need to feed it well and regular, i am 100% this will correct the problem with rhododendron and more than likely get your lawn back into a eye catching condition.

Can't believe i passed over one of the most basic principles....i was laying in bed last night and it just hit me..... :blackeye: :oops:

:) have a good day.

I am touched that you are lying in bed thinking of my bit of grass - it's more than I do!

the grass is on top of a very steep bank, so does not get waterlogged, ever - and the soil is a peaty loam - I have not fed the grass for years, but it is always green and lush because I have had the mulching blade on the mower

unfortunately this has spread the yorkshire fog and meadow grass too much - and last summer the rain meant a lot less mowing than usual

I think if I start a twice weekly mow and catch the clippings I shall see some improvement just from that

I have to confess, though, that in addition to the fig tree I have been out and bought dahlias, honeysuckle, Austin roses and amaryllis belladonna for the spaces and tubs the vegetables were going to be grown in

the vegetables amount to 4 windowboxes and a grow bag now

at the end of the day I like my flowers too much :oops:
cushty
Mafia Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge/What are you talking about