Code of Conduct and T & C's of 3a - Members please read.

Sciences, Space Exploration, Cosmic Charts and Horoscpoes. Did Man really walk on the moon? Everything you need to know and more.

Re: Code of Conduct and T & C's of 3a - Members please read.

Postby Brit Abroad » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:48 pm

bjr wrote:Right those are the terms and coditions and the code of code of conduct rules. We are not saying you have to agree and then make a post and leave it at that, but pages and pages just pure arguing to prove your point, is pointless and gets tedious to read. In all honesty we see it as two points of view that through their own egos won't back down. Fine, but once somebody has not provided the facts that you so desire and need to make your ego ever more inflated then why not just leave it at that. We are sure other members can make their own minds up as to whether they believe the poster or not whilst reading both side of the argument.

And as for members asking whether we want to be perceived as a serious forum on the outside world, we aim to be seen as a forum that will allow topics discussed and debated without spilling into a playground squabbles. For those that want to use this forum as a sounding platform then just ask yourselves one thing. Would you carry on in some elses home or in a pub for instance in the same manner? I doubt that very much because in all honesty you would probably be told to lessen it or shown the door.

Now those are the rules, those that feel they are no fair and don't want to accept the rules, well you know where the door is.

Thanks bjr - I believe this to be a valuable Forum and it is a real shame when threads are sometimes ruined by pointless bickering and one-upmanship. Generally. the standard of posting is high [IMO], and we should all try to keep it that way. The 3As is about the only place where the fate of Madeleine McCann is seriously considered, and when a debate gets heated we can surely 'agree to disagree'?

"It ain't what you say but the way that you say it." :)
Clarence Mitchell said: "... legally speaking everything they were doing that week was well within the bounds of responsible parenting."
Brit Abroad
First Time Offender

Postby HarveyHumphries » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:00 pm

Brit Abroad wrote: "It ain't what you say but the way that you say it." :)

I'm a "what you say" man myself.

:blackeye:
HarveyHumphries
You're Nicked

Postby InspectorJavert » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:02 pm

I don't understand, what agenda is that?

I was confused in the ColdWater thread where the problem was raised by the moderators as being that concerns and questions were put rudely. When the same were put politely the moderation team called it sugar coating. Rules are fine so long as you enforce them consistently.

You are human therefore you are going to make mistakes. You need to leave the door open for feedback from those you moderate.

I hope the new code promotes discussion.
Got no evidence? Can't back up your claims? Collapsing under questions? Upset with cynics? Don't worry, Luna Lovegood believes you. ((hug))
InspectorJavert
New In Town

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:21 pm

I think you will find that this is not a new code, it is the original code that was put on the forum when the forum started. Now as I see it if you don't like the code or conduct or the terms and conditions, you have on of two options; either sign in and abide by them or don't bother signing in at all.

I really can't see what some peoples problems are, if you buy anything or join any club as a member you have to bide by their terms and conditions and failure to do so, will either result in not getting the article you want or being a member of the club, so why do a few people still feel the need to question the code of conduct.

I can't spell it out more simply, here it is one last time, if you don't like the rules and the code of conduct then please use the door.

As for the Coldwater thread I don't think you realise the amount of hours that have been spent on that thread by the admin and moderation team, dealing with reports, PM's and cleaning that thread up, we could have taken a leaf out of the Daily Mirror Forums book and locked the thread and then subsequently delete every thread that emerged because the original was locked. But we didn't.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby InspectorJavert » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:28 pm

I do realise what time it takes. I was just saying that on that thread your team sent out mixed messages. So long as you are all singing from the same song sheet there won't be another problem.

If you join a club they generally allow questions and even criticism. I'm not actually criticising anything to do with the code of conduct.

But one thing I don't understand. Your OP isn't outlining any terms and conditions or code of conduct?

Not even this bit?

We agree that not everybody will agree with what a poster has posted and will want to question, but it is the way we question that is paramount. This forum is used for general discussion and not as a forum to expose people as frauds etc and deter some posters from posting by intimidation, which we witnessed so many times on the DM.

Does the phrase "expose people as frauds" cover only posters or does it include people outside the forum (Gerry McCann)?
Got no evidence? Can't back up your claims? Collapsing under questions? Upset with cynics? Don't worry, Luna Lovegood believes you. ((hug))
InspectorJavert
New In Town

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:41 pm

InspectorJavert wrote:I do realise what time it takes. I was just saying that on that thread your team sent out mixed messages. So long as you are all singing from the same song sheet there won't be another problem.

If you join a club they generally allow questions and even criticism. I'm not actually criticising anything to do with the code of conduct.

But one thing I don't understand. Your OP isn't outlining any terms and conditions or code of conduct?

Not even this bit?

We agree that not everybody will agree with what a poster has posted and will want to question, but it is the way we question that is paramount. This forum is used for general discussion and not as a forum to expose people as frauds etc and deter some posters from posting by intimidation, which we witnessed so many times on the DM.

Does the phrase "expose people as frauds" cover only posters or does it include people outside the forum (Gerry McCann)?

My OP was basically reminding people (members) that we have a code of conduct and it will be adhered to. All I can see from certain members is a clear indication that they do not wish to abide by the terms and conditions and the code of conduct. Perhaps I should have not used the word people, I should have used the word members. I will go back and correct my mistake.

Edited to add - I have now corrected my mistake and also I have given links in the OP to the Code of Conduct and the Terms and Conditions when registering.
To my critics
bjr

Postby sentinel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:07 pm

bjr wrote:
InspectorJavert wrote:I do realise what time it takes. I was just saying that on that thread your team sent out mixed messages. So long as you are all singing from the same song sheet there won't be another problem.

Not even this bit?

My OP was basically reminding people (members) that we have a code of conduct and it will be adhered to. All I can see from certain members is a clear indication that they do not wish to abide by the terms and conditions and the code of conduct. Perhaps I should have not used the word people, I should have used the word members. I will go back and correct my mistake.

Edited to add - I have now corrected my mistake and also I have given links in the OP to the Code of Conduct and the Terms and Conditions when registering.

i wasn't going to contribute to this anymore until i read the above.

I was given a ban and three warnings this week for my "conduct" on the coldwater thread.

I don't believe i breached the code of conduct at all on the thread, but i did on another issue prior to the ban which i fully accept was wrong of me (in terms of the CoC) .............

WHat happened was that the regulars of the thread didn't like what i was posting, accused me of goading, bullying, insulting - none of which was either true or intentional, but which resulted from me pointing out a few very obvious facts (to me anyway), and i think that the general weight of opinion and complaints led to something having to be done. I have to say that the feedback i had from the OP was that healthy questions should be encouraged!

when rules are applied it is important that they are followed, but also that they are consistently enforced.

I hope every member on the forum reads this thread and bears the comments from the participants in mind as they go about their posting/ browsing.

what a boring old world it would be if everyone had the same point of view.
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
sentinel
Mafia Boss

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes sentinel, I know you was banned for a cooling off period, but you have failed to point out the other reason you were banned as well. Now you are not the only member to have received a cooling off period. But you seem to be the only one that keeps wanting to harp on about it. Most of the people banned have accepted it and then returned to the forum after the cooling off period and taken the mods and admins decision and respected it.
To my critics
bjr

Postby tas2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks bjr for your clarity and insight. I agree 100% that it is not disagreement which can cause problems, but the manner in which that is expressed. I would like to add that abusive and aggressive are not the only elements which are disruptive, but that constant goading is equally so and I am extremely pleased to see that you are addressing this issue too. Well done.
tas2
First Time Offender

Postby freetalk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:29 pm

Well said : no intimidation and personal attacks.
freetalk
New In Town

Postby potsy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:16 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for a pleasant forum. I havent read the T&Cs..... Just feel they probably say something like be civilized. Kinda common sense really. So, feel badly, that it has to be addressed..

Trying to post on the MF, if I made sensible and logical post that pointed in certain directions, I would get slammed....accusations, scorn, name-calling, etc. I ignored it. But what started happening is the rational posters would leave the thread...and it fell off the map. Which may have been the intention.

So happy to be having intelligent discussions. Khama's thread on the blood is very interesting...

So thanks you guys :D

Moi
potsy
Mafia Boss

Postby Peanut » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:52 am

Excellent news. Thank you for this admin and mods. I'd been finding some threads increasingly impenetrable because of the almost constant, repetitive and dull point-scoring posts from a very few individuals.
Peanut
New In Town

Postby pike1 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:56 am

Thank you and Mods for all your hard work in maintaining a very lively and stimulating forum.

I wasn`t on the DM forum long enough to see the "bullying "that you have talked about but I have seen some of the posts

in other papers and they are quite vicious in content which is totally unnecessary IMO.

The variety of threads on the 3a site is great.....something for everyone....!

I agree that adherence to the Code of Conduct and Terms and Conditions is paramount! I`m proud to be a member of

3a but ashamed to be British at the present time given the censorship that`s going on and the bias in reporting by the

Media..!!
"Always tell the truth.That way you don`t have to remember what you said"[Mark Twain]

The 3 Arguidos Cookery Book : great recipes!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3620&p=355600#p355600
pike1
Hardened Criminal

Postby Marianna » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:32 pm

I think that if anyone starts trying to stir it up then you should just ignore it. No oxygen, no flame.

This is where we went wrong on the MF. The people who come on as trouble makers know what they're doing and what buttons to press. So, don't take any notice. Easy to say, I know.
Marianna
Suspect

Postby potsy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:48 pm

Marianna wrote:I think that if anyone starts trying to stir it up then you should just ignore it. No oxygen, no flame.

This is where we went wrong on the MF. The people who come on as trouble makers know what they're doing and what buttons to press. So, don't take any notice. Easy to say, I know.

Totally agree...
potsy
Mafia Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Sciences - Space, Moon Landings - Astronomy - Astrology