Code of Conduct and T & C's of 3a - Members please read.

Sciences, Space Exploration, Cosmic Charts and Horoscpoes. Did Man really walk on the moon? Everything you need to know and more.

Code of Conduct and T & C's of 3a - Members please read.

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:41 pm

This forum was set up originally because we felt the freedom of speech was being removed from the DM, satire was not allowed and bullying and derailing of threads seemed to be the objective of some of the posters on the DM to either get other people banned or get the thread locked and pulled.

Our intention on this forum was to allow satire and allow the flow of debate, without threads being pulled and descending into personal abusive, insulting and goading threads which stifled the debate. Please remember you are not posting on the DM and any other forum now you are posting on the3arguidos who have a strict policy on the bullying, goading and insulting of posters.

We agree that not everybody will agree with what a poster has posted and will want to question, but it is the way we question that is paramount. This forum is used for general discussion and not as a forum to expose members as frauds etc and deter some posters from posting by intimidation, which we witnessed so many times on the DM.

It is against our terms and conditions and our code of conduct so please note members that fail to adhere to our terms and conditions and code of conduct will be warned and removed if necessary from the forum, either by a 24hr cooling off ban or a permanent ban.

Admin do post on threads but we are also impartial when it comes to disagreements between members and we act on what we see contained in the thread and what is in the best interests of forum Policy. Admin and Mods will not get into personal issues between posters and will enforce the breach of the code of conduct rules to any member that breaches them.

Locking threads is the last option but we will lock threads if necessary. On some threads many posts have been made by the Moderation and Admin Team and we have found that members are failing to adhere to generalised warning and still carrying on with their personal agenda. This is not on and it will not be tolerated and please remember if members send intimidating PM's to anybody they also will be dealt with severely.

Also we would like to point out that Admin decisions are final and intimidation or harassing of Admin or Mods will also not be tolerated and could result in a removal from the forum for either the 24hr cooling off period or permanently.

Edited to change word people to members and to add link for code of conduct and terms and conditions when registering

http://3as.madeleinemccann.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26 - Code of Conduct

http://3as.madeleinemccann.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5150&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a - Terms and Conditions when registering
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Re: Code of Conduct and T & C's of 3a - Members please read.

Postby rose238 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Thank you for reminding posters of the rules. I have felt very disappointed with the standard of posting during the last week or so. Sometimes it has been too unpleasant to read. I hope things will improve from now on and we can get back to being a happy family once more. I really enjoy reading the threads on this forum even though I don't post much.
LOVE HEALS EVERYONE --- both those who receive it
and those who give it.
{Anthony de Mello}
rose238
New In Town

Postby HiDeHo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:27 pm

I am in awe of how you are managing this forum.

As a poster, one can barely see that there are problems ....you handle everything immediately and without 'issue'...no disruption to regular posting.

You are working hard in the background and I applaud you for an incredibly well managed forum!
Visit Site Menu & follow links for almost 1,000 Ref Articles (Constantly Updated)
http://groups.msn.com/madeleinemccann/sitemenu.msnw

Breaking News sent to members' 'inbox' when available.
http://groups.msn.com/madeleinemccann
HiDeHo

Postby chimaera » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Many thanks, bjr. I am one who has been put off posting lately because of the attitude of a few.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby Valleyman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:15 pm

A fully justified reminder which I hope will be heeded by the few who cause frustration to the many. I have been a forum member from the 'early days' but admit to only the occasional posting contribution. However, I occasionally get a little annoyed when I see what I consider deliberate attempts to derail discussion and shower a poster with insults. Fortunately, the mods on this forum obviously are aware of such behaviour and promptly take appropriate remedial action for which I am sure the majority of members welcome.
Valleyman
New In Town

Postby sentinel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:55 pm

that's fair enough.

but people should be accountable for their "information" and be prepared to back it up.
otherwise we might as well go and read harry potter all day.

If i wanted to read fiction i would join a book club.

I and others joined here as a prime source of information and debate about the madeleine mccann investigation.
Something we have been denied by the british media which has led the world in glossing over this issue.

Questioning, asking opinion and basis of fact is the extension of a natural curiosity. It 's even more appropriate here following the rubbish we have been fed by the press over the last 10 months.

There are too many posters on here who judge anything away from toeing the anti-line as being pro and immediately interpret it as goading, bullying or insulting.

I wouldn't want a mods job for anything - very difficult to do- and in my opinion they should not be troubled unless necessary.

the rest of us should be mature enough to deal with the issues on the threads. If everyone wants to come here and agree with everyone else, and that is the objective of the forum, then it won't be much of a stimulus for debate.
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
sentinel
Mafia Boss

Postby miffed » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:14 pm

I also believe we are adults and should be able to resolve our own differences and avoid reporting posts unnecessarily.

What we all want to avoid is threads being dive-bombed and taken off topic. That's when mods should be alerted to the possibility of troll-like behaviour. Obviously downright abusive and threatening behaviour should not be acceptable under any circumstances.

However, when the mods do intervene with a warning on a thread, all posters should take a good look at themselves and consider that maybe they could've been the cause of the complaint. No use pointing fingers at others.
miffed
On Parole

Postby Eggbabe » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:30 pm

I fully support the opinion, that only rational and polite discussion is acceptable, and thank you fo your hard work in providing us with the opportunity to express ourselves and ensuring it's done in a civilised way.

However, I agree with Sentinel to some degree. Sometimes you come across posts, which contain purely the poster's opinion presented as a fact, but not backed up by any reasonable proof. Some of them even go against what is for many people common sense, or ignore your arguments, and then there seems to be no "acceptable" way of disagreeing with them, because all you can really say is that your opinion is different or that you believe theirs is against common sense, or something along these lines. What are we supposed to do in such case - say nothing and pretend that we agree?

I really don't want to stir, but I noticed that you wrote:
We agree that not everybody will agree with what a poster has posted and will want to question, but it is the way we question that is paramount. This forum is used for general discussion and not as a forum to expose people as frauds etc and deter some posters from posting by intimidation, which we witnessed so many times on the DM.

I think it is not only how some posts were questioned, that was insultive, but also how some posters reacted to the questioning of the content of their posts. I'm sure you truly meant, what you wrote about being impartial, I just wanted to bring this to attention..

I might not be able to fully understand your position, as I did not participate in the Mirror or DM, or any other forum regarding this case before, so I don't quite know, what sort of problems you encountered there. I'm not completely sure, what you mean by "exposing people as frauds", but suppose somebody posts some false or misleading information - what should be the forumers reaction to that??

Apart from these remarks, I agree with your stance. It is important to be able to post without worrying about the possibility of being insulted and goaded..
Eggbabe
You're Nicked

Postby HarveyHumphries » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:32 pm

sentinel wrote:that's fair enough.

but people should be accountable for their "information" and be prepared to back it up.
otherwise we might as well go and read harry potter all day.

If i wanted to read fiction i would join a book club.

I and others joined here as a prime source of information and debate about the madeleine mccann investigation.
Something we have been denied by the british media which has led the world in glossing over this issue.

Questioning, asking opinion and basis of fact is the extension of a natural curiosity. It 's even more appropriate here following the rubbish we have been fed by the press over the last 10 months.

There are too many posters on here who judge anything away from toeing the anti-line as being pro and immediately interpret it as goading, bullying or insulting.

I wouldn't want a mods job for anything - very difficult to do- and in my opinion they should not be troubled unless necessary.

the rest of us should be mature enough to deal with the issues on the threads. If everyone wants to come here and agree with everyone else, and that is the objective of the forum, then it won't be much of a stimulus for debate.

Well said that man. I suppose it all depends on whether this place is really interested in being taken seriously by the outside world.
HarveyHumphries
You're Nicked

Postby sentinel » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Eggbabe wrote:I fully support the opinion, that only rational and polite discussion is acceptable, and thank you fo your hard work in providing us with the opportunity to express ourselves and ensuring it's done in a civilised way.

However, I agree with Sentinel to some degree. Sometimes you come across posts, which contain purely the poster's opinion presented as a fact, but not backed up by any reasonable proof. Some of them even go against what is for many people common sense, or ignore your arguments, and then there seems to be no "acceptable" way of disagreeing with them, because all you can really say is that your opinion is different or that you believe theirs is against common sense, or something along these lines. What are we supposed to do in such case - say nothing and pretend that we agree?

I really don't want to stir, but I noticed that you wrote:
We agree that not everybody will agree with what a poster has posted and will want to question, but it is the way we question that is paramount. This forum is used for general discussion and not as a forum to expose people as frauds etc and deter some posters from posting by intimidation, which we witnessed so many times on the DM.

I think it is not only how some posts were questioned, that was insultive, but also how some posters reacted to the questioning of the content of their posts. I'm sure you truly meant, what you wrote about being impartial, I just wanted to bring this to attention..

I might not be able to fully understand your position, as I did not participate in the Mirror or DM, or any other forum regarding this case before, so I don't quite know, what sort of problems you encountered there. I'm not completely sure, what you mean by "exposing people as frauds", but suppose somebody posts some false or misleading information - what should be the forumers reaction to that??

Apart from these remarks, I agree with your stance. It is important to be able to post without worrying about the possibility of being insulted and goaded..

good points, well made.
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
sentinel
Mafia Boss

Postby astro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:33 pm

A BIG THANK YOU TO THE MODS TEAM AT THE 3 ARGUIDOS!

You do a great job! Congrats on a well-managed, lively, interesting forum.

astro
Been Cautioned

Postby julygirl3210 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks bjr, you were very articulate in the way you elaborated on the Code of Conduct and T&C's.

I am in full agreement with what you post. Having freedom of speech does not give us license to use abusive or intimidating behaviour towards our fellow posters. Yes, I too have noticed a slight deterioration this past week or so, and put it down to certain elements on the Forum who may have been brought in from elsewhere (no names mentioned). The sort of behaviour which manifested itself on the MF cannot be allowed over here. It is with much pride that I count myself as a member of this excellent Forum, and the, on the whole, friendliness and politeness which attracted me here in the first place.

If bullying or abuse can be nipped in the bud before it gets out of hand, so much the better for all of us.

Might I just add that all of you MODs and Admin are doing a sterling job, and all credit to all of you for making this Forum what it is today.

The Forum started off small with a handful of members, and is now a mighty force with many members.

Yes bjr, you are correct. By all means we can disagree with one another, but it is the manner in which we do so that counts.

Well done Mods and Admin. Kudos to you.
"Out damned spot ................" - Macbeth
julygirl3210
On Parole

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:02 pm

Right those are the terms and coditions and the code of code of conduct rules. We are not saying you have to agree and then make a post and leave it at that, but pages and pages just pure arguing to prove your point, is pointless and gets tedious to read. In all honesty we see it as two points of view that through their own egos won't back down. Fine, but once somebody has not provided the facts that you so desire and need to make your ego ever more inflated then why not just leave it at that. We are sure other members can make their own minds up as to whether they believe the poster or not whilst reading both side of the argument.

And as for members asking whether we want to be perceived as a serious forum on the outside world, we aim to be seen as a forum that will allow topics discussed and debated without spilling into a playground squabbles. For those that want to use this forum as a sounding platform then just ask yourselves one thing. Would you carry on in some elses home or in a pub for instance in the same manner? I doubt that very much because in all honesty you would probably be told to lessen it or shown the door.

Now those are the rules, those that feel they are no fair and don't want to accept the rules, well you know where the door is.
To my critics
bjr

Postby HarveyHumphries » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Comparing this forum to a home or pub shows a rather disappointing lack of ambition: people have been driven here by the British media's shameful failure to investigate an astonishing crime of global fascination.

After the c rap we've had to put up with from the TV and press, it's almost a civic duty to face down any agenda-led misinformation that surfaces in any of the shrinking number of places where the McCann case is freely debated.
HarveyHumphries
You're Nicked

Postby bjr » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:46 pm

Yes HarveyHumphries provided your face down of any agenda led misinformation is done within the terms and conditions and the code of conduct of this forum, I can't see a problem. But if you feel you want to breach the terms and conditions and code of conduct then be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.

We will not deter from our agenda and those found to be be breaching these terms and conditions and the code of conduct will be dealt with as in the OP. Am I making myself clear here, or do you just want to instigate another argument.
To my critics
bjr

Next

Return to Sciences - Space, Moon Landings - Astronomy - Astrology