What Makes this forum so much better than the last?

A forum for all those Refugees from the Daily Mirror, The Sun, Daily Star, DX and TFA eeore Board, that have been banned, warned, had their community taken away from them to voice their opinions. Plus any other forum that has been pulled or had members banned or warned.

Re: What Makes this forum so much better than the last?

Postby Ricado » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Thanks January.
You said "I just wish that the list of subject headings was in black rather than dark blue that turns to pale blue. I find it difficult to read the pale blue."

I confess it hadn't occurred to me when I posed the question; What Makes this forum so much better than the last? that some members may interpret this question as referring to technical differences.

I'm currently using an old PC that I set up to replace another old one that went wrong, and I'm using a ten-year-old 17" IBM monitor with a CRT (cathode ray tube). I haven't tried out this forum on my state-of-the-art Packard Bell, with flat screen, but I anticipate a problem in seeing the pale blue. Give me an old CRT any day! As that reminds me of a problem with the BBcode that may or may not have been fixed yet, I shall contact board Admin about both.

You also said: "I like the little smilies but can someone do a step by step how to use them if they have a moment. Thanks". Well, perhaps I'm misinterpreting your question January, but doesn't one just position the cursor where one wants to insert the smilie, and use the mouse to click on the smilie required? Maybe, your query relates to the fact that you wont see a smilie at that point; you'll see something like a colon and a bracket, or a word between two colons (which actually you can type in if you remember the symbols -- punctuation marks and words -- for the ones you want). The BBcode, including smilie symbols has to be 'compiled' before the smilies appear, which is only after you hit 'Post'. Also make sure the little 'Disable smilies' box (below the message box) is not ticked.
Regards
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

Postby whatatangledweb » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:57 pm

January wrote:I just wish that the list of subject headings was in black rather than dark blue that turns to pale blue. I find it difficult to read the pale blue.

I like the little smilies but can someone do a step by step how to use them if they have a moment. Thanks

You just click on them when you write a post and they appear on your message January
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRsJlAJvOSM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRvgK6M2_ ... re=related
we will gain truth and justice for a little girl who has no voice
whatatangledweb
Local Lag

Postby elsie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:12 pm

I used to lurk on the main thread in the Mirror Forum and only ventured out of the main when it was quiet or I was bored. I didn't post because I never registered. I felt quite comfortable lurking in the main thread and it's nice to see a lot of Mirror exiles here that I feel I 'know' already.

It's much more civilised here because of the noticeable lack of trolls, and so the posts are far more on topic as there's no bait to rise to - well, I haven't seen any yet, but I'm still very new here. There's also less pointless chit-chat.

Technically, this forum works far more quickly for me. I am on dial-up and the Mirror pages took a century to load.

I can't comment on the moderation because I don't think I've seen it in action yet.

Anyway, it feels as though I'm out of the playground now and mixing with the grown-ups. :)
elsie
New In Town

Postby fedupwaiting » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:15 pm

Rhodes and Tiberius are absent.
fedupwaiting
Suspect

Postby shesaidwhat » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi,

Welcome Elsie - hope you enjoy your stay xxxx
When we step out on to the pitch on Sunday, all friendships will be forgotten
shesaidwhat
On Parole

Postby Brad1963 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:40 pm

lovely wrote:What Makes this forum so much better than the last?

nothing.
since threads are locked faster then in the last forum and mods obviously can't wait for the return of pretender...

please, delete my personal account

thank you

What's happened here then?

Brad1963
First Time Offender

Postby janz1956 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:47 pm

lovely wrote:What Makes this forum so much better than the last?

nothing.
since threads are locked faster then in the last forum and mods obviously can't wait for the return of pretender...

please, delete my personal account

thank you

locked threads are moved to the locked threads forum and can still be read
"Day 329: 27/03/2008..........
Kate and I arrived back from Washington yesterday."
-----------------------------------------
Pity it wasnt Portugal. Go answer the bl**dy questions, She was your baby, remember?
janz1956
Global Moderator

Postby Ricado » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:35 am

elsie wrote:.
It's much more civilised here because of the noticeable lack of trolls, and so the posts are far more on topic as there's no bait to rise to - well, I haven't seen any yet, but I'm still very new here. There's also less pointless chit-chat.

Technically, this forum works far more quickly for me. I am on dial-up and the Mirror pages took a century to load.

Hello Elsie,
Yes the lack of trolls, and the speed; these are the two main things for me. On broadband (which I have in one location) the MF seemed fast, so I doubt I'll notice a difference, but on dial-up... WOW! :shock: About 10 times faster :)
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

Postby January » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 am

The pale blue writing problem - its an age thing I'm afraid! :(
January
On Parole

Postby HawkEyes1 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:47 pm

Adding to my earlier postings on this topic, I also want to praise the SEARCH capabilities here. Once you have your retrieval, that is, a list of postings from a search, you then have the ability to scroll through to the relevant quote and click straight onto that particular posting. Also it is much easier to find a specific posting or thread by a known poster.

On the Mirror HUNT FOR MADDY site, you had to plough through pages of postings to find the relevant quote. This was almost impossible on huge threads with more than a hundred pages, such as on the MAIN MADELEINE THREAD.

Oh, yes, I also love the colour chart alongside the posting box!

***********************************************************************************************
HawkEyes1
On Parole

Postby Ricado » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:30 pm

HawkEyes1 wrote:Adding to my earlier postings on this topic, I also want to praise the SEARCH capabilities here. Once you have your retrieval, that is, a list of postings from a search, you then have the ability to scroll through to the relevant quote and click straight onto that particular posting. Also it is much easier to find a specific posting or thread by a known poster.

On the Mirror HUNT FOR MADDY site, you had to plough through pages of postings to find the relevant quote. This was almost impossible on huge threads with more than a hundred pages, such as on the MAIN MADELEINE THREAD.

Oh, yes, I also love the colour chart alongside the posting box!

HawkEyes1, thanks for posting this; I wish I understood it!!! :?
I'll study it again this evening.

I will say that this forum is much better when searching for posts from a specific member... or is it just because of the superior speed? Although I have another PC using broadband, I've never been impressed by certain friends that keep telling me I'm living in the Dark Ages, etc. because I use dial up. My retort is always that it is the site that causes most of the problems, not my PC / connection! The 3 Arguidos forum proves this :)

Searching for specific posters is also easier due to the facility to select the initial character :)

Having these tabs near the top of the page:

View unanswered posts | View active topics......View new posts | View your posts

Is a real boon :) Has the MF any of these?
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

Postby Ricado » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 pm

I've deleted a post on Jan 30th., as I've just noticed that it's a complete duplicate of the immediately fregoing one :|
Ricado
Last edited by Ricado on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ricado
New In Town

Postby ophelia » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:47 pm

fedupwaiting wrote:Rhodes and Tiberius are absent.

So far!
ophelia
You're Nicked

Postby julygirl3210 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:08 pm

The former especially. My stalking horse. she was the one who got me banned from MF.

Tiberius, well, yes he was a pain, but never nasty to me. In fact, occasionally he agreed with me, and he did have a bit of a sense of humour.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Out damned spot ................" - Macbeth
julygirl3210
On Parole

Postby Ricado » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:03 am

Not posters I ever had any problems with Fedupwaiting, but there are a few others that I'm really pleased to see the back of. The reasons why those trolls haven't followed us is curious, isn't it! However; I have a feeling that subject is covered in another thread.
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Mirror, The Sun, Daily Star, DX & TFA eeore Board Refugee Centre