What Makes this forum so much better than the last?

A forum for all those Refugees from the Daily Mirror, The Sun, Daily Star, DX and TFA eeore Board, that have been banned, warned, had their community taken away from them to voice their opinions. Plus any other forum that has been pulled or had members banned or warned.

Re: What Makes this forum so much better than the last?

Postby Ricado » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:14 am

Ricado wrote:
Having these tabs near the top of the page:

View unanswered posts | View active topics......View new posts | View your posts

Is a real boon :) Has the MF any of these?

Since I wrote the above those features disappeared!
I wondered if it was due to something I said, but bjr assures me that it is a temporary problem with the search facility.
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

Postby elsie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:51 pm

shesaidwhat wrote:Hi,

Welcome Elsie - hope you enjoy your stay xxxx

Thank you for the welcome, Shesaidwhat. I've only just found this thread again and I'm still feeling my way around.
elsie
New In Town

Postby elsie » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Ricado wrote:
elsie wrote:.
It's much more civilised here because of the noticeable lack of trolls, and so the posts are far more on topic as there's no bait to rise to - well, I haven't seen any yet, but I'm still very new here. There's also less pointless chit-chat.

Technically, this forum works far more quickly for me. I am on dial-up and the Mirror pages took a century to load.

Hello Elsie,
Yes the lack of trolls, and the speed; these are the two main things for me. On broadband (which I have in one location) the MF seemed fast, so I doubt I'll notice a difference, but on dial-up... WOW! :shock: About 10 times faster :)
Ricado

Dial-up is a absolute pain (I average between 28 and 32 kbits) and it also ties up the phone line. You wouldn't believe how long it takes to download short youtube clips but I persevere because I don't want to miss out on what everyone is talking about in this case.
elsie
New In Town

Postby macke » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm

I find this forum very civilised, a great place to come and relax, read, or debate if you're in the mood. There's some excellent threads ongoing at the moment too; due in part to the refusniks from MF.

I still have a little soft spot for the MF though, some of the one-liners used to crack me up bigtime. Don't miss trawling the pages trying to keep abreast of the argument though.
macke
New In Town

Postby weissnicht » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 pm

Peace
"We have not cooperated in any shape or form"
Clarence Mitchell
weissnicht
Mafia Boss

Postby IsChildNeglectLegal » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:30 pm

The fact that it's obviously annoying the xxxx out of the "Pros" & they can't do Jack about it no matter how much they whinge... 8)
Pro McConn, excusing Child neglect since 3rd May 2007

Clarrie...if it's good enough for the PJ it's good enough for ME..get over yourself you are now't but a Pink Windbag !

"Use the Force"........the Police Force to lock the B*ggers up.
IsChildNeglectLegal
On Parole

Postby Ricado » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:27 am

Hello all. After several days of letting you all suggest what makes this forum better than the last, I've taken stock. Sorry not to mention people by name, and give credit to comments, but I fear it would take too long to do that without error.
Among the comments have been:

The Mirror and some other sites are 'darker, heavily moderated', less freedom. The civility of the 3A forum. Prompt action by the moderators when spammers appear. Most of people's favourite refugee posters from the MF are now on 3A. Moderators do NOT take down the whole thread, when there is a problem; unlike the moderators on the Mirror HFM forum! Much better to delete an individual poster's entry and issue a warning or ban the poster, rather than delete substantial research from the forum. The majority of posters seem to have migrated over to 3A and kept their usernames (some think a few of the old HFM posters are being impersonated here?), and that we've also gained some new people along the way. Some poster from the MF wont be missed. Someone said: "Rhodes and Tiberius are absent."

A noticeable lack of trolls, the posts are far more 'on topic', because there's no bait to rise to! A couple of poster quoted someone called 'Lovely' whom wrote: "What Makes this forum so much better than the last? Nothing. Since threads are locked faster than in the (Mirror) forum, and mods obviously can't wait for the return of pretender... please, delete my personal account." Well, I don't think I ever say Lovely's post, so I guess it was deleted. A thwarted troll?

The format of the site is more colourful and easier to read. Some doubts about the colour scheme, the different shades of blue are difficult to discern by some posters. A wish that the list of subject headings were in black rather than dark blue that turns to pale blue, which may be difficult to read for some. What about the page numbering changing from dark blue to black; that's really hard to see. However; the colour chart alongside the posting box found favour.
"The MF moved so fast", said someone, referring to the threads rapidly descending the index page, and the lengths of the threads growing by the hour. "It was hard to keep up with things. Here seems really slow." Technically, this forum works far more quickly on dial-up; the Mirror pages took a century to load. "I Don't miss trawling the pages trying to keep abreast of the news".

HawkEyes1 wanted to praise the SEARCH capabilities here, and so did I to start with. Probably 100 times faster, but I still can't find my own posts; I've not searched for anything more complicated than that. HawkEyes1 said: "Once you have your retrieval, that is, a list of postings from a search, you then have the ability to scroll through to the relevant quote and click straight onto that particular posting. Also it is much easier to find a specific posting or thread by a known poster". On the Mirror Hunt For Maddy site, you had to plough through pages of postings to find the relevant quote. This was almost impossible on huge threads with more than a hundred pages, such as on the Main Madeleine Thread. I'm going to have a look at this again later; especially as the search facility is still not working 100%.

I though having these tabs near the top of the page was good: View unanswered posts, View active topics, View new posts, and View your posts, but in practice they haven't helped me much. Searching for specific posters is easier though due to the facility to select the initial character.

One poster said; "I still have a little soft spot for the MF though. Some of the one-liners used to crack me up big-time. Yes, I haven't had any really good laughs on the 3 Arguidos... yet!
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

Previous

Return to Daily Mirror, The Sun, Daily Star, DX & TFA eeore Board Refugee Centre