Jersey case just on BBC news 24

Crimes of Present and Past Centuries and Heros of Crime Detection, Fingerprints to DNA, all information will be found here. Also a forum to discuss the ongoing investigation into the Childrens Home findings in Jersey

Jersey case just on BBC news 24

Postby Laffin Assasin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:37 pm

I think the BBC just said the bone found at the Jersey care home was confirmed as coming from a childs skull, I wasn't listening properly as I was reading something else, but my ears pricked up and then it was mentioned about another cellar being discovered.
It had gone very quiet on this case in the Media of late.
Laffin Assasin
Mafia Boss

Re: Jersey case just on BBC news 24

Postby cushty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:40 pm

on their website the BBC states that the human remains are not older than 1920!

amazing that Eddie found it, but unlikely to lead to any charges, I would have thought, as a partial skull is surely not enough to identify anyone, or how they died
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Tripz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:42 pm

I can confirm a fragment of skull found.
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
Tripz
Lifer

Postby ejm » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:46 pm

From Sky

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,, ... 61,00.html

Experts Uncover 'Punishment Rooms'

Updated:13:33, Tuesday March 25, 2008
Two more "punishment rooms" have been found in a former Jersey care home at the centre of a child abuse scandal.
Jersey - Haut de la Garenne
Police at 'House of Horrors'

The secret chambers were discovered by forensic teams working at Haut de la Garenne.

Around 100 people claim they were physically and sexually assaulted at the home from the 1960s.

Search teams had already excavated two other cellars at the site, which closed as a children's home in 1986.

All four were referred to as punishment rooms by some victims, who claim they were kept in solitary confinement and assaulted.

In one, a bath containing traces of human blood was found along with a message, "I've been bad 4 years and years", which was scrawled on a wall. There was also a trap door and shackles.
Advertisement

The home was dubbed the House of Horrors after the remains of a child were found buried in a stairwell on February 23.

Jersey police said tests on the remains, which were placed at the site no earlier than 1920, are inconclusive and more will be carried out.

Senior investigating officer Lenny Harper said: "We have now established that there are a further two rooms, and we have received evidence from another victim over the last few days which tells of abuse in one of these two new rooms.

"A number of items have been recovered from cellar Rooms 1 and 2, which tend to corroborate the statements of victims."
Forensic teams at the former home

Work will not start on excavating the third room until forensic teams finish in the second chamber.

So far one person has been charged in connection with Haut de la Garenne.

The home's former warder, Gordon Claude Wateridge, is accused of indecently assaulting girls under 16 between 1969 and 1979.

The 76-year-old, who is originally from Croydon, south London, was remanded in custody and will next appear before St Helier Magistrates' Court on April 14.

The police investigation is focused on Haut de la Garenne but a number of other care facilities on Jersey are also being investigated.

There are thought to be more than 40 suspects in the inquiry as a whole.
ejm
Local Lag

Postby Laffin Assasin » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:49 pm

So far one person has been charged in connection with Haut de la Garenne.

Ha, I hadn't heard that before, that explains why the Media have been quiet.
Laffin Assasin
Mafia Boss

Postby mag54 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:51 pm

This is an interesting article. They found 2 more 'torture' rooms. Some interesting stuff on Eddie and Keela too!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe ... 312627.stm

edit to add:Dog info on right hand side under 'How a dog sniffs through concrete'.
mag54
Been Cautioned

Postby dogrose » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:55 pm

few references on the online newspaper websites too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... sey125.xml
dogrose
On Parole

Postby coral » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Just read last weeks "Real People" magazine and there is a feature about the Jersey case, truly horrific about what some of the children have suffered. :twisted: :cry:

Interestingly it mentions Eddie by name and there is even a picture of him "Eddie the Cadaver Dog". :D
coral
Local Lag

Postby Jennyfowler » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:25 am

At last a little bit more. Why have the 160 possible victims been revised down to 100.

Lovely piccy of one of the dogs. on the extra info on bbc website - thanks for the link. I think that concrete is porous. Not much and my Son works in Concrete business so will ask him.

But on this site now 26.3.08 7.20 am there is only me and 0 guests. there loads and 79 guests on Maddy. Also question to why this is so interesting and other missing kids are not there is always additional reports on Maddy's site. Don't think people do ignore other stories but this one is only one where so much razmataz went on and where high up's were involved and it looks like they are going to get away with it totally.

But the Haute le Garre - amazes me why no one is interested in this terrible story. Makes me wonder now whether Workhoues could be introduced. We do not object enough. It seems once we have dicided that what we see as Low Working Class that they deserve their just deserts.

Haute de Gurre We need a Thread on it's own like Maddy's and some of the awful other website information on other care homes put onto it. Then hopefully others will get in contact. Maybe some of the victims too.

Any news on that brave survivor from the SKY interview.

p.s. does anyone know what this translates from the French to is it House in the Garden.

Thanks bye and sorry for long post and any spelling errors.
Jennyfowler
New In Town

Postby Groom1 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Jennyfowler wrote:At last a little bit more. Why have the 160 possible victims been revised down to 100.

Lovely piccy of one of the dogs. on the extra info on bbc website - thanks for the link. I think that concrete is porous. Not much and my Son works in Concrete business so will ask him.

But on this site now 26.3.08 7.20 am there is only me and 0 guests. there loads and 79 guests on Maddy. Also question to why this is so interesting and other missing kids are not there is always additional reports on Maddy's site. Don't think people do ignore other stories but this one is only one where so much razmataz went on and where high up's were involved and it looks like they are going to get away with it totally.

But the Haute le Garre - amazes me why no one is interested in this terrible story. Makes me wonder now whether Workhoues could be introduced. We do not object enough. It seems once we have dicided that what we see as Low Working Class that they deserve their just deserts.

Haute de Gurre We need a Thread on it's own like Maddy's and some of the awful other website information on other care homes put onto it. Then hopefully others will get in contact. Maybe some of the victims too.

Any news on that brave survivor from the SKY interview.

p.s. does anyone know what this translates from the French to is it House in the Garden.

Thanks bye and sorry for long post and any spelling errors.

"Haut de la" "high" "of the" - not sure what Garenne is. Might mean a view of something. Garden is "jardin".
Groom1
First Time Offender

Postby fedrules » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:03 pm

I just read an article about how the German customs have 4 sniffer dogs trained to detect money.They use them to help in the fight against drug dealers and money launderers.In the past few years these dogs have helped customs seize large sums of 'dirty' money..Now why would German customs bother with training and using such dogs if they were 'unreliable'??

Apparently they only train them for use in cars and houses so there's no danger of them alerting to everyone who walks past with a full wallet!Their handlers say they think they pick up a scent from the printing process.
fedrules
Mafia Boss

Postby Jennyfowler » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Jersey Case

It's on Panarama tonight. Monday 31st Mar 2008
at 8.30.
Jennyfowler
New In Town

Postby julygirl3210 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:52 pm

Thanks for that Jenny. I will try and get to watch it.
"Out damned spot ................" - Macbeth
julygirl3210
On Parole

Postby cushty » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 pm

I shall be watching - this has a lot of potential as a jaw-dropping case IMO
cushty
Mafia Boss

Postby Morg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:27 pm

I made a point of watching the programme, how on earth systematic abuse has been allowed to go on is beyond comprehension and those charlatans now retired, living in France, how the hell do they live with themselves? Pouring disinfectant down a child's throat? Sexual abuse lasting for days despite reports, swept under the carpet.

I sincerely hope and trust Mr Harper and his team manage to convict all of those responsible for their heinous activities, including those who colluded by not acting on reported information. How many lives have been damaged beyond repair, we learnt of at least one suicide, alcohol problems; I feel fairly certain, the programme has only scratched the surface. May justice be served to those miserable miscreants and every assistance given to those who suffered.
Morg
First Time Offender

Return to Crimes (New and Old), The Jersey Case and Heroes of Crime Detection