'Human bone' at Jersey children's home - get ready for spin!

Crimes of Present and Past Centuries and Heros of Crime Detection, Fingerprints to DNA, all information will be found here. Also a forum to discuss the ongoing investigation into the Childrens Home findings in Jersey

'Human bone' at Jersey children's home - get ready for spin!

Postby redsquare » Sun May 18, 2008 12:51 am

'Human bone' at centre of Jersey children's home inquiry is actually a piece of wood or coconut shell

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

Prepare yourselves for max spin cycle from Clarence.
redsquare
Been Cautioned

Re: 'Human bone' at Jersey children's home - get ready for spin!

Postby JillyComeLately » Sun May 18, 2008 12:57 am

They discovered another child's tooth only yesterday, in one of the secret chambers.

I've been waiting for Mitchell to blame the tooth fairy :twisted:
"It is a fact that in the right formation, the lifting power of many wings can achieve twice the distance of any bird flying alone."
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Postby redsquare » Sun May 18, 2008 1:03 am

From article:

His murder inquiry began when Eddie, an "enhanced victim recovery dog", began barking in the cellar of Haut de la Garenne – the sign, according to its handler, that he had detected the scent of human remains.

By coincidence, the dog, from South Yorkshire Police, is the same animal that supposedly picked up "the scent of death" in the apartment where Madeleine McCann was last seen in Praia de Luz in Portugal.

According to Mr Harper, Eddie smelled the decades-old skull fragment through "several inches" of concrete, which police then smashed through. Eddie had the same reaction at another six locations at Haut de la Garenne but nothing was ever found.

"I don't believe a dog can pick up such a scent through a layer of concrete," said Mike Swindells, a former Lancashire officer who wrote the standard sniffer dog training manual.

"It's really very unlikely."

By coincidence??? They make it sound like they just picked a dog off the street! Eddie's there because he's the best in the world at his job!
redsquare
Been Cautioned

Postby Laffin Assasin » Sun May 18, 2008 1:08 am

Silly Sunday :twisted:

What's going on :?:
Laffin Assasin
Mafia Boss

Postby Spartacus » Sun May 18, 2008 1:14 am

Well, they've managed to dismiss DNA evidence as having about as much value as casting runes ( despite hundreds of thousands of prisoners being behind bars on the strength of it )

Shouldn't really surprise us if they devalue the work of these excellent dogs to fit their agenda, eh ?
Spartacus
Been Cautioned

Postby bomaris » Sun May 18, 2008 1:17 am

I have all along been a bit uneasy about the Jersey Homes scandal story. I am sure there was paedophilia, but not that there was necessarily a series of murders. And I have never put complete faith in the dogs. They are an indication to search for more evidence.

But yes - prepare for full spin cycle. The old machine will be vibrating like nobody's business.
bomaris
Hardened Criminal

Postby Leo » Sun May 18, 2008 1:26 am

Might it not be at all significant? In fairness, if the dog made a mistake then it can be said that the dogs are not infallible. There is a major difference between a bit of coconut shell and a skull - like that is no murder victim. Be fair, acknowledge the possibility exists of the most excellent dog being wrong. They don't tell us if there ARE any other fragments though, besides the teeth, which were found near to coconut, but assumedly not, or they would?
Leo
New In Town

Postby mexx » Sun May 18, 2008 1:38 am

Leo wrote:
They don't tell us if there ARE any other fragments though, besides the teeth, which were found near to coconut, but assumedly not, or they would?

Exactly. The press report only what suits them at the time.

In the same vien, another thread translated by Li says that no witnesses saw Madeleine after 6.00 p.m. This does not tell us whether any witnesses saw her before 6.00 p.m.

Same with Jersey searches. What is not said can often be more compelling that what is said. Coconut shells might well have been found....what else? Eddie does not earn £500 per day and a record of 100% success for nothing. IMO it's bell-ringing that the Jersey case is portrayed as the only one in which he's failed.
mexx
On Parole

Postby OurLadyofFatima » Sun May 18, 2008 1:40 am

yep.
OurLadyofFatima
First Time Offender

Postby JillyComeLately » Sun May 18, 2008 1:55 am

mexx wrote:
Leo wrote:
They don't tell us if there ARE any other fragments though, besides the teeth, which were found near to coconut, but assumedly not, or they would?

Exactly. The press report only what suits them at the time.

In the same vien, another thread translated by Li says that no witnesses saw Madeleine after 6.00 p.m. This does not tell us whether any witnesses saw her before 6.00 p.m.

Same with Jersey searches. What is not said can often be more compelling that what is said. Coconut shells might well have been found....what else? Eddie does not earn £500 per day and a record of 100% success for nothing. IMO it's bell-ringing that the Jersey case is portrayed as the only one in which he's failed.

Exactly -

Mr Harper said he hoped to announce the results of new tests this week on further bone fragments and milk teeth unearthed more recently from the Haut de la Garenne cellars.

The report goes on to say that Lenny Harper, who's leading the police investigation has made influential enemies in Jersey. As it's influential establishment figures who are accused of being heavily involved in the abuse at Haute la Garenne and other children's homes in Jersey, I'm afraid I can't help being very suspicious. It smacks of a smear campaign against Lenny Harper.

Five complaints against him have already been dismissed as malicious.
"It is a fact that in the right formation, the lifting power of many wings can achieve twice the distance of any bird flying alone."
JillyComeLately
Mafia Boss

Postby TiredOfTheBS » Sun May 18, 2008 1:56 am

It could be the powerful pedophiles who abused kids at the home are now making the evidence disappear.
The McCanns show their true colours - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVUnMtW9ciI
TiredOfTheBS
First Time Offender

Postby bomaris » Sun May 18, 2008 2:13 am

There were teeth there (milk teeth it seems - not in itself necessarily sinister). Teeth have blood and so on. So yes, the dogs could have (in principle - I'm no expert) picked up a scent from the decayed teeth tissue I guess.
bomaris
Hardened Criminal

Postby Spartacus » Sun May 18, 2008 2:32 am

bomaris wrote:There were teeth there (milk teeth it seems - not in itself necessarily sinister). Teeth have blood and so on. So yes, the dogs could have (in principle - I'm no expert) picked up a scent from the decayed teeth tissue I guess.

milk teeth found in a cellar not sinister !

... they are in the world I live in
Spartacus
Been Cautioned

Does this throw doubt on the dogs.

Postby Gigolo » Sun May 18, 2008 5:47 am

Gigolo
Suspect

Re: Does this throw doubt on the dogs.

Postby Gigolo » Sun May 18, 2008 6:06 am

It certainly does not make for good reading, every ones gone quiet, aren't these dogs infallible, like the Pope.
Gigolo
Suspect

Next

Return to Crimes (New and Old), The Jersey Case and Heroes of Crime Detection