Royals think I'm mad and Charles wants me in a home

The Royal Family, past and presnet. Princess Diana Inquest. News and all related articles

Royals think I'm mad and Charles wants me in a home

Postby bjr » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 207801.ece

Diana, the Princess of Wales, singled out the Duke of Edinburgh as one of three people who hated her the most, adding that he "wants me dead", her inquest was told yesterday.

Her friend Roberto Devorik, an interior designer, said that the Princess was "worried" about death, fearing that she would be killed in a helicopter, car or plane. On another occasion years later, he said, Princess Diana told the Hollywood star Barbra Streisand that her royal inlaws thought she was "mad". Speaking to the singer at a film premiere in February 1992, the Princess said that the Prince of Wales agreed with them and wanted her to be treated in a home.

However Mr Devorik also told of his belief that the only true love in the Princess's life was Charles, saying she once told him that "the only man I've really loved has not loved me".

Mr Devorik said that he asked the Princess in 1996 whom she thought hated her and she named Prince Philip, Nicholas Soames and her brother-in-law, Robert Fellowes. He assumed that the trio "were not flavour of the month" as this was the sort of thing she would say for "three months or six months" and then someone else would be out of favour.

His statements followed a gruelling morning on the stand for a former Metropolitan Police Commissioner who was accused of criminal conspiracy as he gave evidence.

Lord Condon, who as Sir Paul Condon was Britain's most senior police officer at the time of the fatal car crash in a Paris underpass, reacted angrily to the suggestion from Michael Mansfield, QC, for Mohamed Al Fayed, that he had effectively been a party to murder by keeping secret for six years a note from the Princess apparently foretelling her death.

"This is about the most serious allegation that could ever be made of someone in my position," Lord Condon said. "I totally refute it. It is disgusting." Mr Mansfield had suggested to Lord Condon that he had failed in his duty to hand over all relative material to Michael Burgess, the royal coroner at the time, who was expected to conduct the inquest into the Princess's death. Lord Justice Scott Baker, the coroner, interrupted Mr Mansfield and asked if he was accusing Lord Condon of criminal conspiracy, an exceedingly serious charge. Mr Mansfield said: "Yes, I am."

He produced a letter from Mr Burgess written to the Princess's former butler, Paul Burrell, in 2003 after he had published a book quoting a similar but separate note from the Princess suggesting that she would come to harm. In his letter, Mr Burgess had pointed out to Mr Burrell that there was a common-law duty to provide a coroner with information that could be relevant to an inquest.

In what has become known as the Mishcon note, the Princess had predicted in 1995 that the Queen would abdicate the following year, Camilla Parker Bowles would be cast aside by the Prince of Wales in favour of the young royal nanny Tiggy Legge-Bourke, and that she herself would be the victim of an arranged car accident.

After her death Lord Mishcon, who had been her lawyer, handed the note to the Metropolitan Police, which sat on it for six years. Lord Condon said that the Princess's fears seemed to be about events that were never likely to occur. "The easiest thing would have been to hand the note to the French, but I did not believe it would help their inquiry," Lord Condon said. He said that Lord Mishcon had feared that the note would be used by people who were not friendly to the Princess.

Lord Condon, who retired in 2000, rang his successor Sir John Stevens in 2003 when Mr Burrell's book was published to ensure that Scotland Yard was still keeping the note under review. No British inquest had taken place at that stage, he pointed out.

"I do not believe that there was any involvement of any outside agency or people seeking to cause harm," Lord Condon said of the fatal crash.

The hearing continues.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Return to The Royal Family - Past and Present