Hard Times for Royal Marriage

The Royal Family, past and presnet. Princess Diana Inquest. News and all related articles

Hard Times for Royal Marriage

Postby bjr » Mon May 19, 2008 7:07 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... hor_id=230

Hard times for a royal marriage
00:01am 19th May 2008

Amid the champagne and goodwill at Windsor Castle for the wedding day happiness of Princess Anne's son Peter Phillips, there was concern at the state of another royal marriage last night.
For, according to friends, all is not well between the Queen's millionaire furniture-maker nephew Viscount Linley and his heiress wife Serena.

The couple, who have two children and have been married for nearly 15 years, were said to have looked like "the glums" at times during Saturday's celebrations for Peter - Linley's cousin - and his Canadian bride Autumn Kelly.

"There were times during the day when they gave every appearance of not enjoying themselves very much," I am told.

I understand tensions in the marriage - once thought to have been one of the strongest within the Royal Family - have surfaced over the amount of time 46-year-old David Linley devotes to business.

They certainly don't have money worries. Through a string of shrewd business deals, Princess Margaret and the Earl of Snowdon's son has turned his Pimlico-based company into a key element of the luxury goods market.

He is looking to open a branch in Moscow and has sold a stake in his empire to a Russian billionaire friend of Vladimir Putin.

Serena, 38, daughter of colourful London landowner Viscount Petersham, is said by friends to feel rather neglected by all this business activity. "She is often left to her own devices and has her own interests," I am told.

The Queen, who is particularly fond of her nephew, will be upset if the couple fail to resolve their difficulties. "She has taken a close interest in David's welfare - and that of his sister Lady Sarah - since Margaret's death," says a friend.

Linley and Serena met in 1992 after the royal carpenter was commissioned by Lord Petersham to design some furniture. Princess Diana was at their wedding in October the following year.

Their marriage came at a time when so many other royal unions were falling apart. Linley's own parents were divorced after less than 20 years of marriage.

"It's true that marriages do get a bit stale after 15 years or so, but there's no reason why David and Serena could not inject a bit of romance to get things going again," says the friend.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Return to The Royal Family - Past and Present