My Start:Incredimail

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

My Start:Incredimail

Postby Goretti » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:40 am

Please I am begging help: I just can't get rid of this page;
I really need someone with more IT knowledge than me: I have accepted and followed through advice: eg go to Start/select programmes/select/delete/Control panel - Yes, I have done all of this BUT I CAN'T get rid of this 'Opening Page' - think I have got rid of the torture but theoPENING page remains! Please can someone/anyone talk me through how to allievate myself of this burden? Guess some of you have seen me begging on other forums: Aertank was going to help?
He was going to take this page off his dads? Please, anyone, HELP?
Goretti
New In Town

Postby Ari » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:19 am

Hello Goretti,
I had never come across Incredimail before so have had a look at its own site. I am not clear whether you want to uninstall this program or keep it but get rid of one annoyance. I can suggest two things.

On the Incredimail site:
How do I uninstall Incredimail?
This tells you to:
    # Click the Windows 'Start' menu, scroll to 'Programs', select 'IncrediMail' and click 'Uninstall IncrediMail'.

Note: When uninstalling IncrediMail, you will lose all unsaved data. It is recommended to backup your IncrediMail data before uninstalling, in case you will want to use it again in the future.

# Select the 'Uninstall IncrediMail' option (marked in red) and click 'Next' (marked in blue). When asked to verify the uninstallation process, click 'Yes'.

# Once the uninstall completes, restart your computer.

# Browse to: C:\Program Files\IncrediMail.

# Delete the 'bin' folder to completely remove IncrediMail from your computer.

It might be that you have tried some but not all of the above steps. For instance, if you have uninstalled it successfully, you might not have deleted the 'bin' folder.

The other suggestion comes from
Yahoo Answers. This solution will merely stop it running as a service:
It tells you how to run msconfig, then stop Incredimail running as a service. The only problem with the solution given is that the name that the Incredimail service uses is not known to the poster. Sometimes services have pretty unlikely names.

So if you want to remove Incredimail from your system, try the steps suggested above from Incredimail's own help pages first.

Let me know how you get on.
"Kate and Gerry have not been given any special treatment." - Comical Clarrie
Ari
New In Town

Mega frustration

Postby Goretti » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:55 pm

:!: Ari - many thanks for your help and advice: I am sick/sore and tired and have followed most of your advice and guidelines: :? :? :? Have managed to get rid by going to Start/Control Panel/delete or remove - how do I get rid of the Opening page :?: :?: Admitted to being IT hopeless - any further :roll: help for me :?: I must emphasise I never asked for or wanted this MY START/Incredimail - just need to know how to move on! Many thanks and if someone is kind enough to respond, I really need 'step-by-step' instruction :oops: :oops: :oops: (Dimwit here)
Goretti
New In Town

Postby janz1956 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:21 pm

do you mean your home page, the one that comes up when you open internet explorer?
janz1956
Global Moderator

Postby Goretti » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Yes Janzs1956 - how do I get rid: there is a'Goggle' Line; no idea why or how to use it! By process of elimination I hop to 'Favourites' (DMForum) and usually someone has left a message/response/reply - then I can access my e-mails!
I'd be pulling my hair out right now :twisted: :twisted: except I can't spare the locks! :evil: :evil:
I reiterate - I have gone to start/control panel/remove but can't get back to the ordinary Yahoo page which just lists the lastest news with figures: eg 1- 8: ie you could switch back/forth without having to learn Intendo Game is best seller and other ould silly/sally hash! That was a quaire ould rant I got rid of there! Thank you poster for listening :roll: :roll: :roll:
Goretti
New In Town

Postby janz1956 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:06 am

ok thats easy to change

go to start/control panel/ internet options

when you open internet options you will see a box that says `home page`

just delete what it says there and type in what you want as your home page...mine is http://www.yahoo.co.uk

when you have typed it in click `apply `at the bottom of the box, then close the box and weyhey! its done
janz1956
Global Moderator

MEGA THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE

Postby Goretti » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:20 pm

Ari- followed your instructions but had got rid of the programme; it's the Home Page I am stuck with/deep gratitude for trying to help!
Janz: followed your tips but I can't get 'homepage' to alter - please can you, Ari or anyone else come up with a solution?
I always send 'report' to Yahoo (which is the only option I've got) but still cannot manage: My homepage is always 'Mystart by Incredimail' which I never requested and seem stuck with for ever more, Amen!
Goretti
New In Town

Postby janz1956 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 pm

try going on yahoo.co.uk and at the top of the page it says "make yahoo my homepage"

maybe that way will work
janz1956
Global Moderator

Postby sandblast » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 am

I'm usually a lurker, rather than a poster - but you have my sympathy with this one! I had incredimail for a while and had the same problems uninstalling. In the end I found some advice through googling. Trouble is, incredimail does really not properly uninstall. I had to go into the registry eventually and delete over 100 incredimail references. Obviously this is not something to undertake lightly, but I found it was the only solution. If I can find the info I used I will post the link.
sandblast
New In Town

Postby sandblast » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:40 am

Ok, here's one link to what I was talking about

http://www.oeupdates.com/Uninstall-remo ... iMail.html

PLEASE be very careful if you go into the registry (best to back up first). I see there are also some programs that will 'allegedly' clean off Incredimail for you. Try googling 'remove incredimail' and use caution in your choice.

Good luck.
sandblast
New In Town

Postby bjr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi thank you sandblast and welcome aboard. Happy posting.
To my critics
When I'm in a sober mood, I worry, work and think,
When I'm in a drunken mood, I gamble, play and drink,
But when my moods are over and my time has come to pass,
I hope I'm buried upside down, so the world may kiss my ar*e
bjr

Postby perrito » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 pm

I use incredimail and have never had a problem. However when you install incredimail there is a box that asks if you want incredimail as your home page, just uncheck it, then no problem.
perrito

Relief at last

Postby Goretti » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Ari - once again, thank you :wink:
Janz - you are a star 8) 8) 8) - followed your simple advice; ie type in yahoo which alas, now is my home page once again
Sandblast- mega appreciation for your imput :) :) :) - I just couldn't get into anything too complicated (about registers, etc
so following instruction from Janz, have got rid of homepage :!: :!: Welcome to the forum which I know you are going to enjoy; so much fun/humour/wit together with courtesy and manners makes for a very comfy venue :P :P :P :P
Perrito - excuse my lack of :?: :?: :?: What is the purpose of Incredimail; it just suddenly appeared one fine day :idea: I really didn't mind; just did not want the Homepage :!: Thanks for the handy hint. :wav:
Goretti
New In Town

Postby sandblast » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:38 pm

Glad you got sorted, and thanks for the welcome.
sandblast
New In Town

Postby janz1956 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm

thanks goretti, glad it worked :lol: :lol:
janz1956
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads