Very slow start up

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

Very slow start up

Postby julygirl3210 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:50 pm

My computer takes for ever to boot up.

When I look at Task Manager, I have 50 processes on the go. I am sure that this is the reason why. How do I know which ones to delete from Task Manager, and which ones are vital for the running of my computer?

All of the processes look important to me. I could do a screen dump for you if you want, if it would help.

many thanks.
"Out damned spot ................" - Macbeth
julygirl3210
On Parole

Postby harrykeys » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:22 pm

Hi there Sugargirl,

first of all let me say that I am Not a computer techie. My experience for what its worth is by learning from my mistakes on this my windows xp and previously windows ME............Sorry dont have and never will have vista, so cant help if you are using that. What system are you using. ? Certainly you shouldnt have 50 programmes running on boot up. So when you get a spare minute from doing what you do off line, please let us know what task manager showing is running on start up ? Also what protection programmes you are running with ?

theres 3 questions to start you off. My windows Xp takes about say 2 mins or a bit less to boot up

harry

ps sorry for not replying sooner, but its my first time in this part of the menu............usuall its the wee maddy
harrykeys
New In Town

Postby scylla » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:34 pm

You can always Google the names of the applications running to find info on them; that way you'll know which should be running at start-up and which shouldn't.

If you have Spybot, you can go into the Advanced Mode and check the programs you want to run at start-up. Spybot will disallow the others from running. This will avoid the problem of deleting a program that might cause repercussions in how well your computer operates since you can always uncheck it later.

You should also regularly empty your cache and temporary internet files.

Finally, the number of Bookmarks ('Favorites' in IE) you have can slow down the start-up and shut down. Mine always get a little faster when I winnow my Bookmarks list (I must have hundreds.... :( ).

One last thing: if you don't have an anti-virus program installed, do an online virus check at Trend Micro (their Housecall virus check program). Some viruses, like the 'Smiths' can make computers run slowly.
scylla
Local Lag

Postby the truth m_lud » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 pm

I would try the following.

Try to run just the Internet Explorer (or whatever you use) when you start up. Do not run a scan straight off, do it when you are logged on to t'internet.
Do not run MSN as it slows it up at the start.

Also for quickness, once on try changing your settings so instead of switching off the PC, you hibernate it, then when you re-start it just starts from the settings before
the truth m_lud
Been Cautioned

Postby dogrose » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:50 pm

I've found this website very good over the years. this is the page which might be useful for you.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650
dogrose
On Parole

Postby PassingThru » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:52 am

The most common reason for a slow boot is fragmentation.

Right click on mycomputer, select manage
Select disk defragmenter, and defragment, if need be do this a few times over the course of a week.

Cleaning/removing old internet files, emptying your recycle bin, before defragmentation is recommended.
There will be NO justice for Madeleine, because all the questions that should have been asked are brushed under the Government carpet. There is no-one left, that dares anymore.

Madeleine who?
PassingThru
Been Cautioned

Postby missypuddleduck » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:29 pm

Task manager (control + alt + delete) shows you the processes running on your computer.

To look at your start up - that is programmes running automatically in the background on start, that you may not necessarily need. Occasionally programmes you have no knowledge of is to go to:

start,
run
type in msconfig

This will bring up the windows startup programmes.

This also might help:
How to msconfig\start up - http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
missypuddleduck
New In Town

Postby missypuddleduck » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:32 pm

Just another thought, although I'm using xp

I would not run vista without 1 gig of RAM
And certainly if your running Norton or McAffe - your RAM specification is essential.
missypuddleduck
New In Town

Re:

Postby Ricado » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:26 pm

harrykeys wrote:Hi there Sugargirl,

first of all let me say that I am Not a computer techie. My experience for what its worth is by learning from my mistakes on this my windows xp and previously windows ME............Sorry dont have and never will have vista, so cant help if you are using that. What system are you using. ? Certainly you shouldnt have 50 programmes running on boot up. So when you get a spare minute from doing what you do off line, please let us know what task manager showing is running on start up ? Also what protection programmes you are running with ?

theres 3 questions to start you off. My windows Xp takes about say 2 mins or a bit less to boot up

ps sorry for not replying sooner, but its my first time in this part of the menu............usuall its the wee maddy

Hi Harry,
I've got the same problem as julygirl3210. I had Me like you, and now XP. I've looked at the advice you give and other posters. The problem is I spend too long on line and not enough doing maintenance. Alas, someone installed this XP on here for me, and then wouldn't help when it didn't work. I have XP on another fairly new PC and I had to remove Norton before I could get it to run at a sensible speed. This one was unusable before I disabled Norton. I'm going to try out Grisoft on the newer machine this week, and Zone alarm (which I haven't used for about ten years). Both were recommended by someone else that has abandoned Norton. If it works on the newish machine, I'll try it on here.

BTW I've PMed you on another technical matter.
Ricado
Ricado
New In Town

Re: Very slow start up

Postby FSoares » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:02 am

I'm not a techie, so I'll give you an advice, as a "Joe Computer Dumb user" :)

I am using XP (will never go to Vista) and my advice for a slow startup is to check what are the programs starting up with Windows. Someone pointed out correctly the msconfig utility, but an easy way to check what are the programs on startup, is to install CCleaner.
That program is nice as it cleans temp files, Internet cookies, etc, as also has an interface to install/uninstall software (without going to Control Panel). On another interface, you can check what is running on startup and disable what is not necessary.

After doing it, defragmenting the disk is always a good idea as well.

But the best thing to do, is to get rid of Windows and install Linux. Ubuntu 7.10 rules and all those problems will end up magically (and it's free - all is free in Linux).
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby gestalt » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 am

I always recommend two programs and they are both free. I don't know whether they run on Vista though.

The first is a program which scans auto-start processes, add-ins and stuff; normally it is these which are loaded at boot time which slows everything down. Fragmented files are slower to load but the files loaded on a boot should not be fragmented (they were written when the drive was freshly formatted). The program is called HijackThis and available from http://www.hijackthis.de When the program loads it simply lists everything that is running and reports it to a file. This file can be copied and pasted into a form on the website and this tells you what each entry does and whether it can be removed.

The second program can stop these little extra programs installing and can get rid of them. Spybot:Search and Destroy available from http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html Careful, there is another program called Spybot and it's c-r-ap
This program checks out you system and looks for over 100,000 different types of "malware" that's keyloggers, activity trackers, advertising bots etc etc. It can also immunise you system to reduce infection but I've found you still get things from time to time. (particularly if you frequent MSN!). I run this once a week and always find something even with up to date antivirus, antiphishing, antispyware software running behind a security firewall - it still gets through!

Both these programs operate a donation scheme, if you find it useful bung them a few quid.
gestalt
First Time Offender

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:11 pm

Computer fragmentation is a possible cause of computer slowdown, but in my experience, not the main one, very often. You are on the right track about turning off unnecessary programs running. I have my Windows XP desktop, an older computer with only 128 MB RAM, booting and running in 30 seconds. Before it would take forever. Basically, you have to look at your services. In Windows XP, not sure about Vista, as I stopped buying Windows after XP (use Linux now), you go to start, run, type services.msc, then enter. You will see a list of services there. You should decide what you need to run, and what you don't or what can be set to manual instead of automatic. If you put up a list of what's running, we can go through each one and see if you really need that to run. To give you an example, my old computer didn't have a cd burner, yet cd burning software was set to run at startup. Why? So you can turn things like that off.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads