HELP: can not watch BBC news clips (Mac user)

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

HELP: can not watch BBC news clips (Mac user)

Postby sina » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:10 pm

Although it might have spared me a few cringing moments not being able to watch the pink one in full flow.... it begins to seriously bug me!!! :sad5:

Why can't I watch any of the BBC news clips (and on various other sites including podcasts)???

Here's what I got:

Mac OS 10.5
Browser: 3.0.4. (checked preferences but seems ok)
Windows Media Player version 9
Real player version 10 for mac
Quick time player version 7.4.1

Am usually not too stoopid in working these things out myself but this time I don't even know where to start?? :help: ??
sina
First Time Offender

Re: HELP: can not watch BBC news clips (Mac user)

Postby Meadow » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm

What country are you in ?

I have a feeling that you can't view the bbc outside of the UK

That is why when we post the urls for Panorama, we post the Utube ones for example:

BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... =1&bbcws=1

UTube
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYFXQOtiW4

It will make no difference but there is Media player 9, 10 & 11, depending on your version of windows. Another consideration to full streaming and quality is internet connection type - but my hunch is your are outside the UK.
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby sina » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:54 pm

thanks meadow but nope: very much inside UK :(

re the window version, I've got mac, hence the mac version of media player

edited to add: I've got a BT broadband connection
sina
First Time Offender

Postby chimaera » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:14 pm

I just checked and I cannot open it, either. Message says I need to install MIME. Can't be ar*ed. Another example of Micro$hit dominance, and sites not being Mac-friendly.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 pm

The only way around your problem is to use a proxy server. Find a proxy in the UK, change your settings to use a proxy server, and then you should be able to view them. Not a MAC afficionado -would love to be able to afford one!- so can't give you specifics. But, if you need Win-Doze (yes I meant what I said) or Linux (Yay!) help, I'm your gal! LOL

Duh just saw you said you were inside UK, nevermind.
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby MoeSzyslak » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:56 pm

chimaera wrote:Another example of Micro$hit dominance, and sites not being Mac-friendly.

Or Linux friendly. A little off topic, but I had a laptop that would not accept an install of Windows, AT ALL. I even used Dban, which is a program that will completely wipe your hard drive beyond a Windows format, so that I could be sure there was no conflict. Well, got to 30 minutes left to complete Windows install, and it crapped out thanks to an lsass.exe error. It wasn't the lsass virus either, I checked. So, anyway, I installed Mandriva Linux on it, with no problems, and have had no problems since, and it is working better than ever.

I don't know how Microsoft stay in business. It's really down to the average Windows users, who might be apprehensive about tinkering with their computers -which I can understand- that keep M$ cash flow rolling in.

Rant over. LOL
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Postby sina » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:21 am

LOL MoeSzyslak...give me a second until I'v gotten over my shock: you are a gal??!!!! :shock: just thought your nick.... and your avatar.... nevermind!

You sure know your computer stuff!! Now, we just have to lure you away from the vile window's c rap (shouldn't be to difficult) and in to the wonderful world of Steve Jobs - so we can talk business!! LOL

I know they are a bit more pricey, but believe me it's worth it!! Well, admittingl I get 14% education rabat...

My very first was a PC: took it out of the box, switched it on, switched it off, put it back into box..... and re-sold it. End of. Saved some money and bought myself one of those cute little Mac classics - and never looked back!

Anyway, back to the BBC site: do you really think it's a mac problem? Shall I look at the mac support/download site to find a new player? or additional software for realtime? Which one is better, realtime or mediaplayer?

Sorry Moe, for asking so many questions but it seems like you know! THANKS!
Last edited by sina on Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sina
First Time Offender

Postby sina » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:23 am

chimaera wrote:I just checked and I cannot open it, either. Message says I need to install MIME. Can't be ar*ed. Another example of Micro$hit dominance, and sites not being Mac-friendly.

Exactly! They should never have made ipods available for windows.... that would have told the world a lesson! :evil:
And by now everyone would own a mac, ha!
sina
First Time Offender

Postby shoperoo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:34 am

Sina
I was unable to play bbc videos till I downloaded 'Realplayer' - worth a try and if no use uninstall.

http://uk.real.com/player/win/
shoperoo
First Time Offender

Postby sina » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 pm

shoperoo wrote:Sina
I was unable to play bbc videos till I downloaded 'Realplayer' - worth a try and if no use uninstall.

http://uk.real.com/player/win/

...thanks shoperoo, got realplayer already installed, upgraded and everything :sad10: (see post above)......it's just not happening :cry:
sina
First Time Offender

Postby whatsupdoc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:43 am

Although I know nothing about Mac, looking at the site where I got my win32 codecs from...

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

it does mention Mac.

I run Linux Fedora 8 and this is what I do which could possibly solve your prob .

I use Mplayer to view and use the win32 codecs. I downloaded the package and unpacked them into a /usr/local/lib/win32 folder which you have to make.

whatsupdoc
New In Town

Postby cynical_tourist » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:55 pm

sina wrote:Although it might have spared me a few cringing moments not being able to watch the pink one in full flow.... it begins to seriously bug me!!! :sad5:

Why can't I watch any of the BBC news clips (and on various other sites including podcasts)???

Here's what I got:

Mac OS 10.5

Am usually not too stoopid in working these things out myself but this time I don't even know where to start?? :help: ??

I use a Mac and the BBC site works fine for me. I am also on BT broadband

If you are using Safari - you should be on 3.1
Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then Software Update from the System Preferences window.

Windows Media Player is DEFUNCT and no longer recommended
Download flip4mac ( http://www.flip4mac.com/ )
or here from Microsoft ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nents.mspx )
This brings wmv and better asx capability into quicktime so a lot more sites will work
cynical_tourist
First Time Offender

Postby sina » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:38 pm

whatsupdoc wrote:Although I know nothing about Mac, looking at the site where I got my win32 codecs from...

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

it does mention Mac.

I run Linux Fedora 8 and this is what I do which could possibly solve your prob .

I use Mplayer to view and use the win32 codecs. I downloaded the package and unpacked them into a /usr/local/lib/win32 folder which you have to make.

Sorry whatsupdoc....didn't check my own thread for ages.... :oops:

BTW I adore your avatar: so cute!!!
sina
First Time Offender

Postby sina » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:45 pm

cynical_tourist wrote:
sina wrote:Although it might have spared me a few cringing moments not being able to watch the pink one in full flow.... it begins to seriously bug me!!! :sad5:

Here's what I got:

Mac OS 10.5

I use a Mac and the BBC site works fine for me. I am also on BT broadband

If you are using Safari - you should be on 3.1
Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then Software Update from the System Preferences window.

Windows Media Player is DEFUNCT and no longer recommended
Download flip4mac ( http://www.flip4mac.com/ )
or here from Microsoft ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nents.mspx )
This brings wmv and better asx capability into quicktime so a lot more sites will work

Awww, that makes sense, have downloaded safari 3.1. in my weekly update but never got round to do a restart, so am still running 3.0.4... :roll:
Now also remember the macperson at the macstore recommending flip4mac for the same reason, but forgot until you mentioned it.... :roll:

Will do and report back how it works! Thank you!!!

Btw I signed up for mac one-to-one and if you live near an apple store it's absolute brilliant, solved all my rather tricky digital video problems and picked up a lot of things on the way - can strongly recommend it!
sina
First Time Offender

Postby chimaera » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:41 pm

Sorted! Thanks, folks.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.
chimaera
On Parole

Next

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads