Mods/Admin.'HOW TO' posting links/pic on this board needed?

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

Mods/Admin.'HOW TO' posting links/pic on this board needed?

Postby HiDeHo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:31 pm

I'm relatively savvy on PC but have had difficulties using some of the 'tools' here (image etc)

Many people don't search the other boards (if there is posting help there)..

It would be sad to miss an 'important' link or pic because of a posters' inability to copy/paste a link...or not knowing how to add a pic.

Any chance of having a 'reference' post accessible on this board? Do others agree?

For now...heres a few tips that I have figured out (although I am sure there may be simpler methods in some cases)

Some of it is basic and simple but I have learned never to presume that people with important input always know the basics of using the pc.

COPY/PASTING LINKS (Newspapers/Blogs etc.)
1) Go to the address bar at the top of the page
2) RIGHT CLICK on URL (web address) it will be highlighted
3) Click on COPY in the little window that opens
4) Go to 3A reply place your cursor on the place you want to post the URL
5) RIGHT CLICK and choose PASTE from the little window

The address will appear as it does at the top of the webpage but although very long it will be automatically shortened (parsed?) once you post

TO QUOTE OTHER POSTS
1) Click on 'Quote' on the post you wish to include in your reply.
2) A reply page will open up with the complete post of the person whos quote you wish to include.
3) Remove any portion of their post that you don't wish to include by left clicking at the end of the unneeded comment and dragging your mouse to the beginning of the unneeded comment to highlight it.
4) Once highlighted. clicking on 'BACKSPACE' will remove it. (be sure to not delete the two quote marks [q] [/q] )
5) Add your comment at the bottom and the 'quote' will appear within your post in a white window.

TO ADD PIC TO POST
1) Click on 'Img' in the 'toolbox' and will appear with a flashing cursor in the centre.
2) Go to the webpage that has the picture you wish to add and copy the URL (see HOW TO COPY PASTE LINKS)
3) With the cursor in between Paste the URL..(Right CLICK and choose PASTE)
4) Your picture will appear in your post.

I need to ask here why there does not seem to be a way of uploading from our pc and how do you post a pic that is on a webpage with other pics?..How do you post from Photobucket? It doesn't work for me!

HOW TO ADD AN AVATAR
1) Go to USER CONTROL PANEL and click on 'PROFILE'
2) Click on AVATAR.
3) Find the page of the avatar you choose and COPY/ PASTE (see HOW TO COPY PASTE LINKS) the URL with the avatar
4) Right click and PASTE into the box provided
5) The size is limited to 100 x 100

I have searched Google images adding 'animated' and '100 x100' and used the URL from the individual pic chosen....there has to be another way...I would appreciate help on this.

HOW TO USE BOLD / ITALICS / UNDERLINE
1) Highlight the words by LEFT CLICKING and DRAGGING your mouse over the words you choose
2)click on 'B' 'i' or 'u' in the toolbox of the reply
3) ............will appear at either end of the comments.
4) Alternatively..click on those buttons and add the comment you want in between.

HOW TO ADD YOU TUBE (A guess ..I havent tried it yet)
1) Clcik on YouTube button
2)Enter the YouTube URL in between [youtube][/youtube] (see HOW TO COPY PASTE LINKS)

HOW TO USE COLOURED FONT
1) Highlight the text you wish to change the colour of by left clicking mouse and dragging.
2) Go to the colour bar at the side of the reply and choose a colour.

HOW TO SEARCH FOR DELETED PAGES
Google any portion of the title of (eg the newspaper article) what you are looking for.
If the page is showing as deleted...instead of clicking the Google link..click on the 'Cached' link
This will take you to the page as it appeared before updates.
TIP: When searching for old MF threads..add 'Mirror forums' to the search..'View topic'..or any buzzwords specific to that thread.
Adding the member name of those that posted in that thread helps too
For Newspapers..add the name of the newspaper in the search.

Hope that helps...for those like me that have not bothered with adding important information because of not knowing how!
Visit Site Menu & follow links for almost 1,000 Ref Articles (Constantly Updated)
http://groups.msn.com/madeleinemccann/sitemenu.msnw

Breaking News sent to members' 'inbox' when available.
http://groups.msn.com/madeleinemccann
HiDeHo

Re: Mods/Admin.'HOW TO' posting links/pic on this board needed?

Postby Reggie Dunlop » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:05 pm

HiDeHo wrote:TO ADD PIC TO POST
1) Click on 'Img' in the 'toolbox' and will appear with a flashing cursor in the centre.
2) Go to the webpage that has the picture you wish to add and copy the URL (see HOW TO COPY PASTE LINKS)
3) With the cursor in between Paste the URL..(Right CLICK and choose PASTE)
4) Your picture will appear in your post.

I need to ask here why there does not seem to be a way of uploading from our pc and how do you post a pic that is on a webpage with other pics?..How do you post from Photobucket? It doesn't work for me!

I'm afraid there's no way to upload graphics directly from your PC to a posting on the forum. All you can put in the box I'm typing into now, is text, though this text, as you're aware, can be the url of a picture.

If you want to select a picture on a webpage that has other pictures and text, right click on the target picture, click Properties, then highlight and copy the address(URL). You can then paste this between the URL /URL tags and you'll see just the picture without all the stuff you don't want.

And posting from Photobucket shouldn't be a problem. Just copy the "Direct" link. It should start with HTTP:// and end with .jpg

e.g. http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/05/ ... 70x330.jpg

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Reggie Dunlop
Suspect

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads