Help with clearing cookies please.

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

Help with clearing cookies please.

Postby madison » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:50 am

Hi Hope some one will be able to help.I have a French computer which tends to complicate things. Could some one please tell me how to get rid of cookies and other things that have been stored. I keep getting a message saying I have insufficient memory.I do not really understand this as it is a new computer with ample memory (as far as I know) Thank you in advance, Madison
madison
New In Town

Re: Help with clearing cookies please.

Postby Meadow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:58 am

Open your internet explorer. On the General tab,
i.e. 7 select browsing hisytory. Then cookies.
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby madison » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Meadow, Thank you for your prompt reply. I am really sorry but I do not understand what I am supposed to do. I have opened Internet Explorer and can not see any thing which remotely resembles browsing history (even allowing for the fact it is French) Sorry to be a pain but could you please explain further. Thanks, Madison
madison
New In Town

Postby FSoares » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:33 pm

Madison,

There's two things you can do, according to the situation:
If you have Windows Vista w/ IE 7 included in the package, you cannot change the interface language.

But...

If you have Windows XP, w/ IE6, you can install IE7 in English, and it will solve your problem. Or, if your Windows XP already has installed IE7, you can uninstall the French version and install the English one.

If none above works for you, you have to start checking other web browsers. To surf on the Net, there's a whole world beyond Internet Explorer (that in my opinion is probably the worst browser). So, you can install Firefox on the language you want. Note that with Firefox, you can add addons according to what you want/use and even themes.

Surfing the Net w/ Firefox is also quicker. ;)
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby IsChildNeglectLegal » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:39 pm

Download "Windows Cleanup" from the Steven Gould Site, it clears Cookies, history etc, so far I've saved over 5GBs of space on my Laptop at Home. 8)
Pro McConn, excusing Child neglect since 3rd May 2007

Clarrie...if it's good enough for the PJ it's good enough for ME..get over yourself you are now't but a Pink Windbag !

"Use the Force"........the Police Force to lock the B*ggers up.
IsChildNeglectLegal
On Parole

Postby madison » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:02 am

Thanks for your replies.It is a wonder the computer has not gone through the window. It is driving us mad. When we lived in the uk we managed to send photos, go on ebay etc but since buying this thing we end up in a real mess every time we try to do something.
FSoares, thanks for your help.We have Windows XP. There is a company called AngloComputers advertising here so I am going to ring them to see if they can change the language for us. Failing that I think we might have to get in the car and come over to buy an English one.We had already decided this might be a solution.
IsChildNeglectLegal, thanks for that suggestion. I will try to find the site and do that.
You never know, if I manage to sort this out I just might be able to have an avatar.
madison
New In Town

Postby dogrose » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:14 am

http://www.ccleaner.com/

this cleans all cookies etc, and gives you option to save ones you want to keep. ie ones with stored passwords etc. used it for ages and makes a difference. run it once a month or so to keep things running smoothly. and its free!
dogrose
On Parole

Postby Meadow » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 am

Think this needs to be kept simple, else you'll end up with more troubles. Avoid CC (c*** cleaner, unless you know what you are doing)

Instructions for i.e.7
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby shoperoo » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:05 am

Madison
On your browser click Tools then internet options. then click on delete cookies( under temporary internet files) then ok

Alernatively you may me using too much memory when you are using the computer. try and keep internet windows open to a minimum and check you dont have too many programes running at once.
shoperoo
First Time Offender

Postby madison » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi Meadow and Shoperoo, I have managed to do that thanks. I thought it would take ages to do but it only took a couple of seconds,(hope I did it right).
Shoperoo I love your avatars and sigs.
madison
New In Town

Postby madison » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:57 pm

I spoke too soon. I have just had a complete nightmare. I somehow managed to lose my Google home page and all my favourites.I then could not get any thing at all in English. Just kept getting a load of stuff in French, still I suppose it was good practice. The sooner we get rid of this computer the better. Thanks for all the help
madison
New In Town

Postby FSoares » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:27 pm

madison wrote:I spoke too soon. I have just had a complete nightmare. I somehow managed to lose my Google home page and all my favourites.I then could not get any thing at all in English. Just kept getting a load of stuff in French, still I suppose it was good practice. The sooner we get rid of this computer the better. Thanks for all the help

Madison, before you got rid on that computer, install Firefox in English (you can install Firefox on any language you want, regardless the language of your Operating System).

Meanwhile try to check (you must have it, for sure), on the backside of your laptop or in the tower of your CPU, if that's a desktop, for the license-key of your Windows XP installation.

Check if you have Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional. Then, try to get a CD with an English version of your exact XP (Home or Professional). Ask someone if you can use your previous key to install the same exact OS, but on a different language. If that's possible, save all your docs and data before, and format your hard drive, by installing XP in English. Then, use the same activation code, you've used for the French installation.

Now, please note, try to check if the Windows Key License of your French XP, works on an English XP, because I'm not sure. If so, this can be a solution for your case.
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby shoperoo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Madison

Have you tried 'system restore'
What operating system are you using eg windows xp or vista which one?

shoperoo
First Time Offender

Postby madison » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:49 am

I have decided to ring my local friendly computer man in the hope he can sort out the problem. He has been pretty good in the past so I am hoping he will have XP in English.I will ask him about installing Firefox (he put AVG on for me the last time he was here) and will also ask about a system restore. As you have all guessed by now I am absolutely rubbish at sorting out computer problems so really appreciate the help.
madison
New In Town

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads