windows explorer prob

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

windows explorer prob

Postby isis » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:51 pm

HELP. My internet explorer is working fine one minute and then the next is giving me messages such as , cannot make an FTP connection , or cannot make a HTTP or HTTPS connection. Then there is the message about some firewall client running on my computer and blocking ports. ANY HELP APPRECIATED :D
truth is always a casualty.
isis
Mafia Boss

Re: windows explorer prob

Postby FSoares » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Isis!

Do you have any firewall installed, either by software or hardware (some routers have firewalls)?

Did you already try any other web browser, like Firefox, K-Meleon, etc, to check if you have the same problems?

The fact is, an Internet browser, needs the port 80 open, but first it would be good to know if you really have a firewall installed or not.
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby Meadow » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:32 pm

I've heard in some IT chatrooms problems with i.e. after installing windows xp service pack 3

Try a restore point.

PM me if you don't know restore points.

REGARDS
Meadow
Local Lag

Postby isis » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:14 pm

FSoares wrote:Hi Isis!

Do you have any firewall installed, either by software or hardware (some routers have firewalls)?

Did you already try any other web browser, like Firefox, K-Meleon, etc, to check if you have the same problems?

The fact is, an Internet browser, needs the port 80 open, but first it would be good to know if you really have a firewall installed or not.

thanks soares. Firewall is installed and as far as i can see from the settings the 3 ports for ftp http and https are all open :roll:
isis
Mafia Boss

Postby isis » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Meadow wrote:I've heard in some IT chatrooms problems with i.e. after installing windows xp service pack 3

Try a restore point.

PM me if you don't know restore points.

REGARDS

Thanks meadow. Iv done the restore thing and it had no effect. Might just have to get nice little notebook for mothers day :lol: :lol:
isis
Mafia Boss

Postby isis » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:58 pm

problem sorted. Kicked lumps out of it and bingo :lol: :lol: :lol: Only joking brother in law came out and sorted it. Somthing to do with a dr watson debuggin thingy :roll: :roll: :roll: anyway thanks for the advice :D
isis
Mafia Boss

Postby FSoares » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:03 am

This may sound a silly answer but if you followed Meadow's suggestion and it didn't work, probably you'll have to check what happens if you uninstall the firewall. If with the firewall unistalled, you won't notice a problem, then you know it has to be something on the firewall's settings.

Meanwhile, may I suggest you check if you have blocked on the firewall any TCP/UDP protocol? I don't know if this is the root for your problem, but I'm just trying to eliminate any possibility.

Another option you can try is checking if you have activated the firewall of Windows XP. When we install a firewall, it's always good to uncheck that one that comes with the Operating System.

Don't know if it helps, though, but you may try. :wink:
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby FSoares » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:04 am

Oh great Isis. I see we were posting at the same time!!! :D

Glad it's solved!
FSoares
You're Nicked

Postby MoeSzyslak » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Just thought I would also add that it might be a DNS problem. I know you fixed it -thank goodness!- but in case it happens again or someone else is experiencing something similar, you might want to check that your DNS settings aren't the problem.
DNS=Domain Name Server/System. This is the thing that takes a website name that you type into the address bar, and converts it to its numerical IP address, then connects you. If the domain name server is down, or having problems, it can't resolve to the site you are trying to connect to. I've had this happen, where I can't connect to websites, but I can run other programs that connect to the internet, such as updating my antivirus software. An example of an alternate DNS address that people seem to use frequently, is 4.2.2.1, or 4.2.2.2, etc. If you Google alternate DNS servers, you'll find tons of them. It's good to have a backup. To change the DNS address, click on the Start menu, then settings, then control panel. Then, click on Network connections, then choose which connection you are using and right click on it. Highlight Internet Protocol from the list, and click properties. You will then see two options: Obtain and IP address automatically (you can ignore this option), and Obtain DNS server address automatically. Choose
Click on the option to Use the following DNS server addresses, then fill in the IP address of the servers you've chosen, and click ok.
It's kind of convoluted, but it's something to keep in mind if you can't connect to websites. It could be as simple as there being a DNS problem. By simple, I mean pulling out your hair, simple. LOL :confused2: :tard: :toothy9:
"Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
MoeSzyslak
On Parole

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads