technical assistance

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

technical assistance

Postby sentinel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:31 am

before i go off and waste hours trying to do this, can anyone advise the easiest way??

i wanted to capture a short video clip from a website, (not download) then edit the clip (shorten) and play it as my avatar.

thanks
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
User avatar
sentinel
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 am

Re: technical assistance

Postby IRONSIDE » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Sentinel...I see you are out of technicians,,,wish I could help .but hav'nt a clue....maybe a PM to BJR...? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
User avatar
IRONSIDE
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3050
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: SPAIN

Re: technical assistance

Postby xklamation » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:18 pm

First you can't shorten or edit a video clip without downloading it first. You can grab the code for a flash (flv, swf) file or video (wmv,asf,avi) and use the code to paste it on to a blog or site but you can't use it as an avatar in a forum because, a forum like this one, generally only accepts a very small sized image. The animated (similar to videos) pictures you probably have seen in use in forums are in gif format because of the size, see "animated gifs video" in google. To grab a code for video, flash, if you use firefox browser,:
select the video, or image, or flash file as you would do to select a text (highlight)
click on your right mouse button and select view "selection source"
that will pop open a "DOM" window with the highlighted code
copy the highlighted code to your blog/site
presto! It's done.

Go here to make a gif video avatar: http://www.gifninja.com/ConvertVideoToGif.aspx
there are some tutorials as well.
Good luck.
"They're so conditioned that they practically can't help behaving as they ought to behave. And if anything should go wrong, there's soma." Aldous Huxley, Brave New World (1932)
User avatar
xklamation
First Time Offender
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:47 am
Location: Lisbon, Pt

Re: technical assistance

Postby sentinel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:26 pm

xklamation wrote:First you can't shorten or edit a video clip without downloading it first. You can grab the code for a flash (flv, swf) file or video (wmv,asf,avi) and use the code to paste it on to a blog or site but you can't use it as an avatar in a forum because, a forum like this one, generally only accepts a very small sized image. The animated (similar to videos) pictures you probably have seen in use in forums are in gif format because of the size, see "animated gifs video" in google. To grab a code for video, flash, if you use firefox browser,:
select the video, or image, or flash file as you would do to select a text (highlight)
click on your right mouse button and select view "selection source"
that will pop open a "DOM" window with the highlighted code
copy the highlighted code to your blog/site
presto! It's done.

Go here to make a gif video avatar: http://www.gifninja.com/ConvertVideoToGif.aspx
there are some tutorials as well.
Good luck.



thanks very much for that. I will have a go!
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
User avatar
sentinel
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 am

Re: technical assistance

Postby Tripz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:35 pm

xklamation wrote:First you can't shorten or edit a video clip without downloading it first. You can grab the code for a flash (flv, swf) file or video (wmv,asf,avi) and use the code to paste it on to a blog or site but you can't use it as an avatar in a forum because, a forum like this one, generally only accepts a very small sized image. The animated (similar to videos) pictures you probably have seen in use in forums are in gif format because of the size, see "animated gifs video" in google. To grab a code for video, flash, if you use firefox browser,:
select the video, or image, or flash file as you would do to select a text (highlight)
click on your right mouse button and select view "selection source"
that will pop open a "DOM" window with the highlighted code
copy the highlighted code to your blog/site
presto! It's done.

Go here to make a gif video avatar: http://www.gifninja.com/ConvertVideoToGif.aspx
there are some tutorials as well.
Good luck.


Thanks for that info. Always wanted to know how to do animated avatars. Cheers :)
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
User avatar
Tripz
Lifer
 
Posts: 5311
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: MAGIK ROUNDABOUT

Re: technical assistance

Postby Reggie Dunlop » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:19 pm

<---------- I'm hoping the avatar I've produced is working. I couldn't put the animated gif in the body of this post, so I've loaded it as my avatar instead.



Hey Mods !!! Could you please move this thread to the "Help with IT/Photoshop" forum ..... thanks
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
User avatar
Reggie Dunlop
Suspect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Re: technical assistance

Postby SallyGardens » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:23 pm

sentinel wrote:before i go off and waste hours trying to do this, can anyone advise the easiest way??

i wanted to capture a short video clip from a website, (not download) then edit the clip (shorten) and play it as my avatar.

thanks



wrong thread, oops
SallyGardens
Hardened Criminal
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Re: technical assistance

Postby Barracuda » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:31 pm

viewing these pages with all these b****y avatars remotely held on other servers could be part of the reason for the slowness of the site!
The phone and email intercepts, as I understand it, are almost enough on their own. But I have always been told that even this is NOT the standalone evidence. CW.
Barracuda
You're Nicked
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: technical assistance

Postby sentinel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Reggie Dunlop wrote:<---------- I'm hoping the avatar I've produced is working. I couldn't put the animated gif in the body of this post, so I've loaded it as my avatar instead.



Hey Mods !!! Could you please move this thread to the "Help with IT/Photoshop" forum ..... thanks



that is the sort of thing i'm after
"We, with Coldwater's help, have let our imaginations run wild"
User avatar
sentinel
Mafia Boss
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:10 am

Re: technical assistance

Postby Reggie Dunlop » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:41 pm

sentinel wrote:that is the sort of thing i'm after


Which one ...... the one nearest the camera ??? :lol: :lol: :roll:
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
User avatar
Reggie Dunlop
Suspect
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Re: technical assistance

Postby MsMarbles » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 pm

xklamation wrote:First you can't shorten or edit a video clip without downloading it first. You can grab the code for a flash (flv, swf) file or video (wmv,asf,avi) and use the code to paste it on to a blog or site but you can't use it as an avatar in a forum because, a forum like this one, generally only accepts a very small sized image. The animated (similar to videos) pictures you probably have seen in use in forums are in gif format because of the size, see "animated gifs video" in google. To grab a code for video, flash, if you use firefox browser,:
select the video, or image, or flash file as you would do to select a text (highlight)
click on your right mouse button and select view "selection source"
that will pop open a "DOM" window with the highlighted code
copy the highlighted code to your blog/site
presto! It's done.

Go here to make a gif video avatar: http://www.gifninja.com/ConvertVideoToGif.aspx
there are some tutorials as well.
Good luck.



Would you like this to be copied and pasted attributed to yourself, into the photobucket/Avatar help sticky? So it's easier for some to find if this slips off the front page.
I believe.....
I believe and trust in Eddie and keela.
__
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams
User avatar
MsMarbles
On Parole
 
Posts: 1220
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:39 pm
Location: ESSEX - www.waxinglyrical-site.co.uk

Re: technical assistance

Postby Tripz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Good idea MsMarbles. :)
TRUTH & JUSTICE
"IL FAUT MENTIR POUR ETRE VRAI"
User avatar
Tripz
Lifer
 
Posts: 5311
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: MAGIK ROUNDABOUT


Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron