BEWARE:::A NEW VIRUS

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

Re: BEWARE:::A NEW VIRUS

Postby plath » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:17 pm

OOOOOOOOH - thankyou bonnybraes. I am absolutely delighted that you saw fit to shout at me - tickled pink in fact. Kind of got a 'pinky aspect' about me. Bring it on folks. More, more please.
plath

Postby Shadow » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:24 am

Plath - naughty, naughty says Hoax Slayer - he say...

The message contains false and misleading information and it should not be forwarded.

Before forwarding any virus warning email, always take the time to check the veracity of the claims in the message at a reputable anti-virus or anti-hoax website.

Sending warning messages about non-existent viruses or messages that distort the truth about real viruses is entirely counterproductive and only adds to the ongoing problems caused by computer security threats.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/invitation-b ... rning.html

:wink:
Gerry McCann said: "It could have been worse, we could have lost the twins too.
Shadow
First Time Offender

Postby shoperoo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:33 am

Quote:-
Osama Bin-Laden hanged hoax
From Mary Landesman,
Your Guide to Antivirus Software.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
In July 2004, a Trojan was sent out bearing the subject line "Osama Found Hanged". The body of the email read:

Osama Bin Ladin was found hanged by two CNN journalists early Wedensday evening. As evidence they took several photos, some of which i have included here. As yet, this information has not hit the headlines due to Bush wanting confirmation of his identity but the journalists have released some early photos over the internet..

The email then included a link to a website which downloaded a variant of the Hackarmy Trojan, a rather ho-hum backdoor that logged on to a predefined IRC server and accepted certain commands. The Trojan was easily detectable by antivirus, the site was shutdown quickly, and few - if any - infections actually occurred as a result.
Sponsored Links

Free AntiVirus DownloadTop 2008 AntiVirus Software Download Now - 100% Free!www.AntiVirus-Pro.org/AntiVirus

2008 Antivirus ReviewsCompare Top Antivirus Software. Read Reviews & Compare Ratings.StarReviews.com

Which? Online ReviewUnbiased Review On The Latest Anti-Virus Security Software.www.Which.co.uk
In short, it was dead in the water before it even started to swim.

Now fast forward to a year later. In July 2005, twelve months after this original non-threat was discovered, someone composed a panicked email claiming:

Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it!!! End quote...
been around since July 2004.....more:-

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/osama.asp

From a reliable poster on another Madeleine Site http://www.truthformadeleine.com/forum/ ... PIC_ID=144

No need to panick :)
shoperoo
First Time Offender

Postby IsChildNeglectLegal » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:41 am

No need to panic or be nasty with the OP, I see at least 1 or 2 of these "spoof" warnings per Month & as a previous Poster has said they are just a piece of mischief put around by Monkies who want to clog up everyones E-mail Servers... :roll:

Even if there was such a Virus that could destroy a HDD, I wouldn't be concerned we have an under utilised Desktop PC, 6 Laptops & a pile of about 40 spare HDDs in a Cupboard just waiting to be useful (or a pile of Junk cluttering the House up as my Missus calls it)
:D

I'm sort of "in the Trade" in a small way :wink:
Pro McConn, excusing Child neglect since 3rd May 2007

Clarrie...if it's good enough for the PJ it's good enough for ME..get over yourself you are now't but a Pink Windbag !

"Use the Force"........the Police Force to lock the B*ggers up.
IsChildNeglectLegal
On Parole

Postby gestalt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:47 am

IsChildNeglectLegal wrote:No need to panic or be nasty with the OP, I see at least 1 or 2 of these "spoof" warnings per Month & as a previous Poster has said they are just a piece of mischief put around by Monkies who want to clog up everyones E-mail Servers... :roll:

Even if there was such a Virus that could destroy a HDD, I wouldn't be concerned we have an under utilised Desktop PC, 6 Laptops & a pile of about 40 spare HDDs in a Cupboard just waiting to be useful (or a pile of Junk cluttering the House up as my Missus calls it)
:D

I'm sort of "in the Trade" in a small way :wink:

and originally

JimH wrote:yes, there is a virus, it is a virus of the mind!! People read the email, panic, send more emails, spreading the virus... there is no computer virus that does the things described!

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/invitation-b ... rning.html

There are, and have been viruses that physically damage hard drives. Mostly much older MFM and RLL drives (before IDE and SATA) where the virus code actually takes control of the drive itself and switches off the drive motor then send the read heads into the platter - resulting in the true meaning of the word "crash"; the read head ploughs it's way into the drive surfaces. It's much harder to do now on IDE drives but still possible, and now there are hardware overrides to stop this happening (by program code anyway). I understand other virus code inverts the way the read head works and the head tries to get out of the case and breaks.

Even when these infrequent events do occur, fortunately HDD are now relatively cheap and it's only the pain of switching in the backup and buying a new backup drive. You do have an off-line backup drive don't you; don't you?

JimH wrote:Look, whenever you hear about a virus, don't panic. First of all, do a Google search. For example, Virus bin laden and see what it produces. Have a look at the McCaffee and Norton sites. But don't start firing emails off ... or posting about it on message boards, unless it is absolutely 100% certain. In 99.9% of cases it isn't. And you are then guilty a "mind" virus.

Fully agree JimH - the virus of the mind do jam up the post offices; and it's not that much of a pain to do a little research before propagating the story. :)
gestalt
First Time Offender

Postby perrito » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:28 pm

You can check out all your hoax viruses etc here, always a good idea before forwarding anything on.

http://www.snopes.com
living life in the fast lane until the motor wears out

Justice is a temporary thing that must at last come to an end; but the conscience is eternal and will never die.
perrito

Postby gestalt » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:45 pm

2345 wrote:
IRONSIDE wrote:Being as I was not sure,thought I would relay the message....if this is untrue , please delete this thread....Only trying to be helpful....

I have found your comments very hurtful.....and ...unhelpful... :roll: :roll: :roll: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm grateful for all your hard work and input .... better to be safe than sorry. 2345 (JAB).
Ignore those who are rude, keep up the good informative work; you're valued highly in every forum.

I hope I wasn't being seen as rude, I certainly wasn't intending to be - just informative; as several have said the hoax is the virus. :) :)
gestalt
First Time Offender

Postby miffed » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 am

Just linking related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4558&hilit=BitDefender
miffed
On Parole

Postby Magali » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:29 pm

IRONSIDE wrote:PLEASE INFORM EVERYONEYOU KNOW

Emails with Osama Bin-Laden hanged or captured, are being sent and the moment you open these emails,your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it!

This email is being distributed through countries round the globe..
Be considerate and send this warning to whomever you know.

You should be alert during the next few days:do not open any message with an attached file called 'Invitation' regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic
Torch which 'burns'the whole hard disc of your computer.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.
This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc,where the vital information is kept.

If you are aware of this ...please delete this thread....

Hi Ironside, someone I know in France had warned me about the same thing, so lets keep warned

Those emails have to be deleted straight away.Some are called "The invitation" or "L'invitation", with an olympic torch symbol of them.

I recently got a LOT of tro;j@ns viruses, first we got it via going onto a link that ends with...EXE.

(instead of dot com or .net for example)

Update your protections regularly and often scan.
Magali

Postby shoperoo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:33 pm

IRONSIDE wrote:Being as I was not sure,thought I would relay the message....if this is untrue , please delete this thread....Only trying to be helpful....

I have found your comments very hurtful.....and ...unhelpful... :roll: :roll: :roll: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :oops: :oops: :oops:

You tried to be nice Ironside. This is an old hoax thats been on the go since 2004. No need to question your motives. :cry:
shoperoo
First Time Offender

Postby frencheuropean » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Hello, Ironside, I am not technical at all and I understand the confusion. 3 weeks ago, I was on the mirror's forum and suddenly in the middle of the screen this warning : "You are being attacked by a virus!". I was so shocked, I turned off immediatly the computer and waited the day after to connect again . (please don't laugh!)

Nobody jumped on me but I was informed that the virus had been neutralized. I give you the name of the animal: "worm Helkern" . I have also his/her adresse but I still wonder what I can do with that? Any idea?
frencheuropean
First Time Offender

Previous

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads