how to get the quotes right

Do you have IT problems? Unsure what software to use for virus checking, or maybe just a general IT question, post your request here and perhaps one of our IT talented members could solve your problem.

how to get the quotes right

Postby earthspirit » Thu May 15, 2008 5:58 pm

i need help as i keep mucking up quotes

for instance if you type a reply there will be a message saying that you cannot embed for than 3 quotes

therefore - how to i remove one of them, which would usually be the one at the very top of the reply and not the most recent post?

do i take away the last name on the list of quotes and then remove the top quotation?

or what

when someone please gives me the correct information i will allow the thread to drop off

thanks in advance
earthspirit_truthseeker on the mirror forum

always searching for the truth and for now, for madeleine, who never got to be 4
earthspirit
On Parole

Re: how to get the quotes right

Postby Lana » Thu May 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, but if I want to remove the extra quotes, I just start at the beginning of the quote , delete the first word [quote], then the rest of the quote until you get to the end of it. There you will see [quote] again, then delete that. But, if you mess up and erase the word [quote] at the beginning of the quote you want to quote (lol), you will mess up the quote! This may not be the correct way, but it works for me... or if you want to cheat, sometimes I copy what I want quoted from the text, open up a reply page, paste the text...then you can highlight the entire quote and then hit the "quote" button at the top of the page. But if you want the name of the person on there that you are quoting, you have to type it in...i.e (per so and so). Is that clear as mud? :blackeye:
The McCanns said they had tortured themselves for a year about leaving their children alone.
Mr McCann said: "People will say that they've never done that and you know, who am I to argue?
Lana
Been Cautioned

Re: how to get the quotes right

Postby librarising » Thu May 15, 2008 10:16 pm

OK, that's right. But here's another way of looking at it.

The quote box is made with two pieces of code, one makes the top of the box and the other the bottom (they join up automatically).

(NB in these examples I will use round brackets, but in the actual code they are square. You will only need to think for one moment to work out why I have done this.)

OK here is the code:

Top of the box: (quote)

Bottom of the box: (/quote)

That's it. Really simple. If you were to type (quote) (/quote) into a post you would get an empty box. Anything you put between the two bits of code would appear in the box the code made.

When you hit the 'quote' button at the bottom of a post you get a bit added to the top-of-the-box code, which adds the poster's name. The top of a box that has a poster's name in it then looks like this:

(quote="poster'sname")

and the bottom is the same as before, just:

(/quote)

- so to remove a box take away both the top and the bottom of it.

Boxes 'nest' one inside another.

If it's still not clear ask ratonthebeam.
It ain't over till the thin lady sings.
librarising
Been Cautioned

Return to Help with IT - Photoshop Threads