Diabetic Experts Help!

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Diabetic Experts Help!

Postby Finmental » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am

my niece: yesterday was her 16th birthday. she has been a diabetic since 8 years of age..injects insulin 4 times a day.

Wed 9th Apr: started refusing food and got a temperatur, her mouth and lips started swelling, full of ulcers.
Thu 10th: took into hospital, put on drips.
Sat 12th: sad birthday, still no change, still burning temperature, mouth and lips 3 times the normal size.
Sun 13th: still no change, she is very distressed. on doctors orders crumbled a couple of paracetamols and pushed them through her lips, helps a wee bit, but not for long.

question is... any diabetics, or parents of diabetics reading here who have had such an experience? probably better posting this on the Maddie forum, because I don't think many look in here.

thanks.
Finmental
Local Lag

Re: Diabetic Experts Help!

Postby carlymichelle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:15 am

hi i have type one diabetes like your niece except i got it when iwas 20 i ahve 5 injections a day i have never expreneced that but she may be severly deyhydrated and be in diabetic keto acidosis and have high blood sugar i would imagine that would cause mouth ulecrs though maybe it is a virus or something or becasue type one diabetes is auto immune it could be a auto immune response to something im not sure but i feel for her :(
carlymichelle
On Parole

Postby Finmental » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:51 am

thanks Carly, the doc has said that sometimes diabetics get a certain virus, which is dreadful, but once they are over it, it doesn't reoccur. but, it's just an odd feeling that the docs seem at a loss.
Finmental
Local Lag

Postby thatsortagirl » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:38 pm

Ask if the doctors can prescribe IV paracetamol - our ward has started to use it for the more acutely ill patients (diabetics included) and the patients say its really effective and especially if she cannot take orally with her mouth ulcers. It might at least help with the temperatures and pain a bit (unless she's allergic of course!)
thatsortagirl
New In Town

Postby KatzenWaffe » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 pm

This could be glandular fever which is a virus infection common in teenagers,diabetic or not.

It usually clears up on its own, though the person affected may feel off colour for weeks.

Any infection can push a diabetic's sugar levels out of balance.

She is in the right place as her sugar levels can be monitored while she is in hospital until the infection clears up of its own accord.

Of course I am only guessing here,but her age does make Glandular fever a strong possibility
and I am sure her doctors are considering this.
KatzenWaffe
You're Nicked

Postby Finmental » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:23 am

thanks for all the help... the doctors do think it's some kind of virus not connected to her diabetes. we've managed to give her the doctor recommended paracetemols, crushed and put into the side of her mouth. This did take her temperature down a wee bit, but it soon came back up. they're giving her stronger antibiotics ( through a drip ) now, and very,very slowly it seems to be getting her temperature down. Yes, agree she is in the best place, let's hope she gets better soon. Thanks..
Finmental
Local Lag

Postby carlymichelle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 am

Finmental wrote:thanks for all the help... the doctors do think it's some kind of virus not connected to her diabetes. we've managed to give her the doctor recommended paracetemols, crushed and put into the side of her mouth. This did take her temperature down a wee bit, but it soon came back up. they're giving her stronger antibiotics ( through a drip ) now, and very,very slowly it seems to be getting her temperature down. Yes, agree she is in the best place, let's hope she gets better soon. Thanks..

i know ho w hard it is to live with it im thinking about her hugs
carlymichelle
On Parole

Postby Finmental » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:01 am

Thanks Carly,

she is making very slow steady progress, quite a way to go though, still not able to take in any food, so she's still in for a long haul at hospital. Burning temperature going down slowly, so, at least it's a bit of positive news.
Finmental
Local Lag

Postby Finmental » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi Carly and all...

the good news is that my niece will be getting discharged on Monday...the temperature is back to normal...the swelling is going down and she is able to eat "soft" foods...experience tells me it's not the end of our worries, but still, got to look on the positive side. We are very happy at the moment. Just to say the doctors never did find out what the virus was.

thanks for caring...

Finmental... :)
Finmental
Local Lag

Postby wjk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Hi Finmental,
I don't post much, but I'm diabetic too and wanted to wish your niece all the best. I hope she keeps improving xx
Justice for Maddie
wjk
New In Town

Postby Finmental » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:23 pm

wjk wrote:Hi Finmental,
I don't post much, but I'm diabetic too and wanted to wish your niece all the best. I hope she keeps improving xx

thankyou wjk, and please look after yourself.
Finmental
Local Lag

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum