Does anyone have old polio?

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Does anyone have old polio?

Postby Plath » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Just wondering if anyone in forum has old polio?

My hubbby who is now aged 59 had polio when he was 3. He was left with one very thin leg and wasted muscles. He was however able to walk, and in fact we climbed Scafell Pike in the Lake District and lots of others when we were younger.

Then, one day, we were trying to climb Hellvellyn and with every single step he fell. It was a nightmare. We were part the way up. We thought he was never going to get down O.K. and it was scary since we did not know what was wrong.

That was the beginning of him falling a lot - never knowing when it would happen, and it could happen any time at all, inside or out. He has broken his foot numerous times, since he always falls in the same way. Three metatarsils all broken at one time, covered in terrible bruises on his foot, etc etc. He has now got shortened bones in his foot and is often in pain.

I get so frightened because he falls any time any place, and I fear for him.

He was sent to St. Thomas's in London where they have an old polio unit. They said there was nothing they could do for him. He is just left to get on with it basically.

Fortunately he can drive OK and his job involves driving quite a lot and the rest of the time he is at a desk. So he works, long hours in fact.

Every time I see him fall, I am crying inside. I don't let him see it though, as he hates that kind of thing. It happens so often in public.

Our doctor does not believe in Old Polio Syndrome, which includes all kinds of symptoms. We just have to cope the best we can.

Does anyone here have experience of Old Polio? Would like to know and also how you or your relative or friend has dealt with it. Thanks.
Plath
Been Cautioned

Re: Does anyone have old polio?

Postby rose238 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Plath. I understand about crying inside. It's a permanent state with me. However we have to fix that smile on our faces and keep on going, don't we?
LOVE HEALS EVERYONE --- both those who receive it
and those who give it.
{Anthony de Mello}
rose238
New In Town

Postby Plath » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Rose. I only cry inside when I see him suffering so when he falls and is so helpless. I just feel for him so.
Plath
Been Cautioned

Postby Cas » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:36 am

Plath wrote:Hi Rose. I only cry inside when I see him suffering so when he falls and is so helpless. I just feel for him so.

Hi PLath

My sister inlaw ha it she will be 64 next week, she was in a hospital till 11 from the age of 5 they said she would never walk again, but she did.
I never saw her leg for years then she showed me, yes it is so much thinner, she then started to fall ect but so proud would not give in.

Untill one day we where both sorting out her/my husbands affairs he had passed away, she had the use of my blue badge as I was in the car,
I in time talked her into claiming for one, when it came to the benifits that was different, she was refused 3 times, never heard of the illnes did not want to know, we battled on and she gets in now. long hard struggle but the Drs still say it does not exist I know that from another lady I help, so sad.so very sad
Cas

Justice for Madeleine

Click here: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thevoiceformadeleine

Please sign the above................. Thank you

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Cuddle Cat.
(")_(")
Cas
Been Cautioned

Postby RoughCollie » Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 am

If you need it, here is some information on post-polio syndrome:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/post ... _polio.htm
RoughCollie
New In Town

Postby Plath » Wed May 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Thankyou so much for all of your replies. And thankyou Rough Collie for the link.

There is a British Polio Fellowship, but unfortunately they were unable to help my husband. Many doctors do not recognise Old Polio Syndrome. It is a struggle all the time to get it recognised and diagnosed.

As I write this I am crying as my husband has just fallen again, and done himself damage. All he was doing was walking through the kitchen. He has been to the doctors yet again today, and once again has been sent to the physiotherapist, who only gets him to do exercises that exhaust the muscles - trying of course to build up muscles that have totally wasted, so there is no muscle to build up. Doing the exercises makes him fall even more. Yet the doctors keep on doing this to him. I could swear right now. I see my husband going downhill and downhill, and there is no real help available.

I fear that one day he wil fall down in the middle of the road and get run over. The trouble is that he can wallk - so is not a candidate for a wheelchair. He uses a stick but the stick does not save him. He still falls. It happens so often in public and he is so painfully embarrassed.

I feel so for him. I am so sad.

Thankyou for all of your postings though.
Plath
Plath
Been Cautioned

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum