Allergies

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Allergies

Postby mrsgaz » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:47 am

My allergies are driving me nuts!
The GP hs today prescribed some anti-histamines but they don't work. He didn't listen to me (which does not help either) and I have no idea what I am allergic to (other than tree pollen) and I am getting totally ****ed off with constantly sneezing, blowing my nose and rubbing my eyes.
Does anyone have any herbal or alternative therapies which sort them out as the past few months have been hell and I just can't keep on like this.
mrsgaz
Suspect

Re: Allergies

Postby rose238 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:08 pm

I think your doc should send you for an allergy test to determine what it is you are actually allergic to. I believe you can get a test done yourself at your local health food stores for about £40. At least you can round here. I keep saying I'll go myself, but am too mean to pay!
LOVE HEALS EVERYONE --- both those who receive it
and those who give it.
{Anthony de Mello}
rose238
New In Town

Postby mrsgaz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:39 am

Thanks for that. TBH I was expecting to be referred as this is the 3rd time I have seen him (and I was the worst this time with the nettle rash all over my face!) but he just commented that it was tree pollen season and he'd prefer to control it with medication...!

Might try a couple of my local healthfood stores and see if they do testing. At least I can then try to reduce exposure or desensitize myself to whatever it is.
mrsgaz
Suspect

Postby abuela » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:55 pm

mrsgaz wrote:My allergies are driving me nuts!
The GP hs today prescribed some anti-histamines but they don't work. He didn't listen to me (which does not help either) and I have no idea what I am allergic to (other than tree pollen) and I am getting totally ****ed off with constantly sneezing, blowing my nose and rubbing my eyes.
Does anyone have any herbal or alternative therapies which sort them out as the past few months have been hell and I just can't keep on like this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi mrsgaz, I know how you are feeling! I also have eczema, which drives me nuts. I was told just yesterday by the local pharmacist here in Spain (they are just as good as the doctors here), that the best remedy for allergies is eating a tablespoon of local honey every day. He says it works for asthma too. Haven't managed to get hold of any local honey yet, but it has to be worth a try.
abuela
First Time Offender

Postby fedrules » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:06 pm

Mrsgaz,I sympathise too as I also get hay fever and it's just started to get bad now the weather's improved.I don't like anti-histamines as they make me tired.There is such a thing as a desensitising course of injections which are supposed to be good.You can get them here in Switzerland,but not sure if it's done everywhere.My friend's son had the course(it took a long time) as he had asthma from grass pollen and is much better.

I've heard eating local honey before the pollen season can help,but I've found alternative remedies pretty ineffective I miust say.For the past couple of years I've had an inhaler as felt rather breathless and wheezy at this time of year.

Probably moving to the polar regions would help.. :?
fedrules
Mafia Boss

Postby KatzenWaffe » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:09 pm

that the best remedy for allergies is eating a tablespoon of local honey every day.

I have heard this too. Not tried it as I don't (thank God) have allergies. It can't do any harm. Bit of a problem finding it though if you live in the centre of London!
KatzenWaffe
You're Nicked

Postby KatzenWaffe » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:12 pm

.There is such a thing as a desensitising course of injections which are supposed to be good.You can get them here in Switzerland,but not sure if it's done everywhere.

I don't think this is done in the UK any more. I seem to remember reading there were a couple of deaths from severe reactions to the injections.
KatzenWaffe
You're Nicked

Postby Snowleopard » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Perhaps your doctor could prescribe you with a nasal spray. I use a Nasofan Aqueous 50 microgram Nasal Spray. This contains Fluticasone propionate, which is one of a group of medicines called coricosteriods. It has anti-inflammatory properties. When sprayed into the nose it reduces swelling and irritation. It is used to prevent and treat seasonal rhinitis (eg hayfever) and perennial rhinitis (eg blocked or runny nose and sneezing and itching caused by house dust mites or animals such as cats and dogs).
Snowleopard
Local Lag

Postby shesaidwhat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:54 pm

KatzenWaffe wrote:
that the best remedy for allergies is eating a tablespoon of local honey every day.

I have heard this too. Not tried it as I don't (thank God) have allergies. It can't do any harm. Bit of a problem finding it though if you live in the centre of London!

http://www.lbka.org.uk/index.php?page=Honey%20Sales

Not the best of news, as honey harvest bad this year - but there are details of people who sell honey that is local to central london here.
When we step out on to the pitch on Sunday, all friendships will be forgotten
shesaidwhat
On Parole

Postby boba » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi,

Maybe you should try flaxseed oil. My son has asthma, and it was getting worse, being particularly bad this winter even though he used his inhaler regularly. He has been taking 2 table spoons of flaxseed oil (one in the morning and one in the evening) since December, and he is now fine. He doesn't even use his inhaler any more. You should check these two sites for flaxseed oil: http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/healt ... ed-oil.htm

And particularly this one, which mentions allergies:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2138866_use-fla ... sthma.html

In any case, it certainly won't harm you in any way, so I think you should not be afraid to try it.
boba
New In Town

Postby mrsgaz » Tue May 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Might try flaxseed oil and honey: would just prefer to get off any medication which does ot seem to make much difference.

On a positive (?) note my local Superdrug does allergy testing of the 10 most common allergans so booked in for next week to at least find out what MAY be the problem. In the meantime it is quite easy to get hold of local honey where I am so that should be an easy start - and assume flaxseed oil from healthfood shops? Thanks for the advice!
mrsgaz
Suspect

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum