Collagen - Injections etc

If you have any concerns with medication or have worries about your health, post your questions here perhaps our resident Pharmacist and Doctor will be able to help you. If you have a disability and would like support and have tips with coping this is the forum for you.

Collagen - Injections etc

Postby Scribbler » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:51 pm

My Mum, who's in her early 60s, is worried about her looks and wants to have cosmetic surgery of various kinds including collagen injections.

Does anyone know anything about collagen and its various applications? I've seen it advertised for being massaged on the skin, injected (which I understand may have side effects or risks attached) and also for ingesting by way of capsules that you swallow each day.

My mum believes in the injections but doesn't believe it could be effective applied externally. If anyone has any information or knows anyone who's qualified to advise, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Scribbler
Scribbler
On Parole

Re: Collagen - Injections etc

Postby Morg » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:44 pm

Scribbler wrote:My Mum, who's in her early 60s, is worried about her looks and wants to have cosmetic surgery of various kinds including collagen injections.

Does anyone know anything about collagen and its various applications? I've seen it advertised for being massaged on the skin, injected (which I understand may have side effects or risks attached) and also for ingesting by way of capsules that you swallow each day.

My mum believes in the injections but doesn't believe it could be effective applied externally. If anyone has any information or knows anyone who's qualified to advise, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Scribbler

Sorry I know little about collagen but the collagen is usually bovine, allergy tests should be conducted prior to application, I understand 24-48 hours. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collagen

Synthetic dermal fillers are available which don't usually entail allergy testing however, that is not without problems. Fillers injected by an inexperienced person can create extra lumps and bumps. http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/L/lust4life/look_young/treat_fillers.html has some info.

One thing I would strongly advise in to not use a chain, they're more interested in taking the money. A small salon might advertise bargain rates but again, I would ask the question as to why?

Perhaps if your Mum treated herself to a pampering on a regular basis, it could well give her the boost she needs. Clarins salons, not the cheapest but fabulous for a pick me up and the staff are usually well trained. Debenhams often have a special offer on Clarins treatments, might be worth taking your Mum as a surprise :D

No, I don't work for Clarins, just think if going for high end moisurisers etc, their stuff is fabby
Morg
First Time Offender

Return to The Health Spa & Disability Forum